pixeltracker

Brett Michaels vs. Tony awards scenery- Page 2

Brett Michaels vs. Tony awards scenery

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#25re: Brett Michaels vs. Tony awards scenery
Posted: 6/8/09 at 2:10am

I think it is insulting that the Tony statement is that he "missed his mark". Even if he wasn't at rehearsal, he was clearly on his way upstage. And regardless of whether he was late for hitting his mark, it is still a flyman/deck carp/stage management mistake.

Rudy2 Profile Photo
Rudy2
#26re: Brett Michaels vs. Tony awards scenery
Posted: 6/8/09 at 2:10am

During the show I didn't laugh at it, but I did this time. I figured since nothing seemed amiss after it that nothing serious happened, but for a moment my heart skipped a beat.

Feb. 28 - Looped, Feb. 28 - Next to Normal, March 4 - Hair, March 11 - A Little Night Music, March 24 - Time Stands Still, April 6 - La Cage Aux Folles, April 10 - Anyone Can Whistle (City Center), April 10 - Looped, May 9 - Enron, May 15 - A Little Night Music, May 15 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Little Night Music, June 20 - A Little Night Music, June 23 - Red, June 23 - Sondheim on Sondheim, July 13 - A Little Night Music, July 18 - The Grand Manner (Lincoln Center)

NSLV
#27re: Brett Michaels vs. Tony awards scenery
Posted: 6/8/09 at 2:44am

That's true Tag. It was definitely a flyman/Stage Management mistake. Though, to be fair, Bret was taking his time heading US. And having attended the dress rehearsal this morning, I can vouch that he WAS in fact at rehearsal!

heo1128
#28re: Brett Michaels vs. Tony awards scenery
Posted: 6/8/09 at 3:14am

Hahah! I definitely missed that one. Maybe it's karma for inflicting the world with "Rock of Love"?

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#29re: Brett Michaels vs. Tony awards scenery
Posted: 6/8/09 at 3:26am

to Bret's discredit, it has been rumored that he did not attend the rehearsals. He probably didn't inquire about all the stuff pertaining to his set, like, how and when to exit. And honestly, what could Bret Michaels possibly be doing that would make him miss the rehearsal?

As someone who was at the Tony dress rehearsal this morning, Bret was actually in fact there. I don't claim to speak for his attendance at any other rehearsals this weekend, but he was at rehearsal today, regardless of what the 'rumours' may say,

BlueforBroadway Profile Photo
BlueforBroadway
#30re: Brett Michaels vs. Tony awards scenery
Posted: 6/8/09 at 7:33am

Bret had a show in Mississippi the night before that started at 10pm eastern time. Then he had to hop a plane to NYC. Bret was at rehearsal around 9:30a yesterday according to several tweets I was reading.

I hope he is okay.

Jekyll & Hyde back on Broadway! / Rock of Ages - 5 Tony nominations! Awesome!

MeMeMeee
#31re: Brett Michaels vs. Tony awards scenery
Posted: 6/8/09 at 8:39am

Holy crap..you guys are heartless. This isn't funny, at all. That guy could have gotten seriously injured.

Rock and Roll is different than stage and if Bret didn't go to a rehearsal, then it is his fault but I would never laugh or anything.

He is used to having the whole stage to himself and can do whatever he pleases but on Broadway, you have to know your blocking. Those set pieces are very dangerous. Our lead on tour got super injured by a set piece and had to have 4 surgeries to fix his injuries....

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#32re: Brett Michaels vs. Tony awards scenery
Posted: 6/8/09 at 8:43am

So it really was Bret Michaels?

I just assumed it was someone from "Rock of Ages"

singtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
#33re: Brett Michaels vs. Tony awards scenery
Posted: 6/8/09 at 8:49am

"Holy crap..you guys are heartless. This isn't funny, at all. That guy could have gotten seriously injured."

Tell that to AFV.

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert

MeMeMeee
#34re: Brett Michaels vs. Tony awards scenery
Posted: 6/8/09 at 9:00am

Very true...very true...

outdamnwench
#35re: Brett Michaels vs. Tony awards scenery
Posted: 6/8/09 at 10:47am

It's a tough call as to who the blame goes to.

I have issues blaming stage management or crew. With a stage that high, and a set piece that large, the call to bring the piece in has to be made a lot earlier than a typical show. Also, it's extremely hard to get a piece that large going, and even harder to get it to stop.

Also, watching the vid from the dress rehearsal on "that site", Brett was clearly out of the way, on the riser along with the rest of the cast before the blinders, with plenty of time for the set piece to fly in safely. Where as during the actual performance, he sticks around long after hamming it up to the crowd.

FindingNamo
#36re: Brett Michaels vs. Tony awards scenery
Posted: 6/8/09 at 10:58am

Ya know, Poison brought to that stage a certain level of looseness that lacked in most of the rest of the show. They also showed how a rock band that has toured and played on stages of all sizes learns over time how to calibrate a performance and somehow reach the 52nd balcony of a behemoth like Radio City, while giving TV cameras and viewers at home a performance that doesn't look overstretched and lunatic.

Having said that, I would like to thank the scolds on this thread for showing me the error of my ways for having laughed after the fact, because it's just plain morally wrong to laugh at something that could have been much, much worse and seriously tragic.

Tag and MeMeMeee, thank you. I look forward to the two of you collaborating on a brand new thread about this incident condemning host Neil Patrick Harris and starting a petition so that he never hosts this show again. After all, mere seconds after what could have been a disaster, he said Mr. Michaels had brought new meaning to the term "head banging." WHAT A CAD!!!!!

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

MeMeMeee
#37re: Brett Michaels vs. Tony awards scenery
Posted: 6/8/09 at 11:45am

Finding Namo..wtf are you talking about? I don't understand you...

it's ignorant and heartless to make fun of people...he's a real person and he got injured..I don't find that funny...

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#38re: Brett Michaels vs. Tony awards scenery
Posted: 6/8/09 at 11:49am

they were also the only performers to lip-sync. it was the Broadway Gods getting their revenge.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#39re: Brett Michaels vs. Tony awards scenery
Posted: 6/8/09 at 1:01pm

I feel if Bret hadn't taken the time to turn back around to wave to the crowd he'd have been okay. I think it was those few seconds that really made the difference.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

Craww
#40re: Brett Michaels vs. Tony awards scenery
Posted: 6/8/09 at 1:07pm

Nothing anyone says can make me feel bad for finding this hilarious. If that makes me a sociopath, then so be it.

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#41re: Brett Michaels vs. Tony awards scenery
Posted: 6/8/09 at 1:17pm

I didn't laugh at the time. But after hearing that he is okay, I laughed. Come on! Who doesn't love watching people smack into a wall? I'm glad he's okay since he could've gotten seriously hurt. But he is in fact okay, so... I laughed.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#42re: Brett Michaels vs. Tony awards scenery
Posted: 6/8/09 at 1:27pm

I blame Bush.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

FindingNamo
#43re: Brett Michaels vs. Tony awards scenery
Posted: 6/8/09 at 1:36pm

MeMeMee, I shall spell it out for you. Host Neil Patrick Harris made a joke mere seconds after the Michaels tragedy-that-could-have-been. I'm simply waiting for you and Tag to sanctimoniously condemn HIM for doing so.

Tick, tick, tick...

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

yay_gerb Profile Photo
yay_gerb
#44re: Brett Michaels vs. Tony awards scenery
Posted: 6/8/09 at 1:56pm

if that didn't make you laugh, take the stick out of your a**.

BROADWAY IMPACT!
TAKE ACTION! EQUALITY!
http://www.broadwayimpact.com/

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#45re: Brett Michaels vs. Tony awards scenery
Posted: 6/8/09 at 1:59pm

1. He missed his mark whether it be from timing or a lack of rehearsal.

2. Once you know he's alright...it IS funny. Do you think HE'S not laughing? Puh-lease.

One of the best moments in the opening number!!!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Andante Profile Photo
Andante
#46re: Brett Michaels vs. Tony awards scenery
Posted: 6/8/09 at 2:13pm

I think we can all admit we chuckled when that happened...and have watched it over and over again.

Barney Stinson
#47re: Brett Michaels vs. Tony awards scenery
Posted: 6/8/09 at 2:19pm

Bret Michael's kids probably thought it was funny. It was funny. The fact that it was Bret Michaels made it about 100x funnier.

JohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
#48re: Brett Michaels vs. Tony awards scenery
Posted: 6/8/09 at 3:10pm

I agree with Namo that it would have been MUCH funnier had it been Liza.

And I saw Poison back in the day live. TWICE. I've earned the right to laugh at things hitting Bret Michaels in the head.

MusicalComedyMan
#49re: Brett Michaels vs. Tony awards scenery
Posted: 6/8/09 at 3:17pm

One Word... Schadenfreude!!!! IT WAS HYSTERICAL!!! And next year when Britney and Jessica Simpson sings a duet in the opening number... I hope something falls on them too!!

Videos