pixeltracker

BAD CINDERELLA to close on June 4- Page 23

BAD CINDERELLA to close on June 4

TheOnlyOne2
#550BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/24/23 at 7:16pm

WldKingdomHM said: "So what’s next for the Imperial?"

The way I hollered when I read this!!!!! 

Updated On: 3/24/23 at 07:16 PM

TheOnlyOne2
#551BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/24/23 at 7:22pm

A.J. said: 

"I’m convinced they set her up to be the scapegoat.

Why else cast an unknown, with limited experience or following, who struggles to sing the score?
"

Even if it was a set up I'm sure Linedy will be fine. She'll go out on tour because it's and easy sell to middle american audiences, do a couple readings for new shows, and get a concert or two at 54 below. 

TheOnlyOne2
#552BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/24/23 at 7:32pm

binau said:

I'm assuming you thought Lenk was wrong forCompany, and I know quite a few people agreed with you. But I wasn't aware that anyone blamed Likes for the demise ofAlmost Famous,assuming that's what you're referring to. Am I wrong about that?"

I thought everyone loved Casey, I don't get it. And I maintain that Katrina Lenk was a groundbreaking and excellent Bobbi, far better and more appropriate in the role than Rosalie Craig (and I saw both live). Once the negative chatter/word of mouth started to spread about her voice it seemed impossible to recover. I kind of feel audiences are becoming less tolerant of unusual voices now (see my thread about odd Broadway voices). However, Katrina brought a new sound to Sondheim's work that I don't believe I have heard before.
"

I didn't mind Lenks voice, it was her acting. I just wabhdc her offstage during her book scenes. Lately there seem be a lot of shows where the lead is not LEADING the show. It's either the writing or the actors avilit u to execute.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#553BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/24/23 at 8:00pm

pethian said: "I think the answer to that very pertinent question is the same as it is for many creators who reach a certain age after a long history of success--an attempt to be relevant in an ever more youthful world."

That's the key thesis to the show. ALW was the young, cool, boundary-pushing rocker kid when he got his start in musical theatre, and morphed that sensibility with more classical influences later in his career. 7 years ago, audiences & critics loved an ALW show that felt young and fresh and contemporary (School of Rock) so why shouldn't he try again? I do think 1980 ALW would scoff at 2023 ALW writing a rehash of CINDERELLA.

Quentin Tarantino has a theory that no filmmaker makes their best movies late in life, which is why QT wants to retire after his next (10th) film, and leave on his own terms before people drive him out of town. And I don't necessarily disagree. People like Spielberg and Scorsese are anomalies. Tommy Tune is the same age as Jack O'Brien; is Tommy's legacy better for "retiring" 25 years ago instead of continuing to direct and maybe having a string of costly flops or recycling old ideas? Possibly.

Said this before, but Richard Rodgers was a similar situation as ALW: he tried to exert too much control over his shows in later years and it backfired without the presence of Hart or Hammerstein. He even collabed with the young cool kids (Sondheim & Laurents & John Dexter) and hated every moment of it.

Updated On: 3/24/23 at 08:00 PM

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#554BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/24/23 at 8:28pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "I do think1980 ALW would scoff at 2023 ALW writing a rehash of CINDERELLA."

1984’s Starlight Express is literally a rehash of Cinderella. Rusty is the underdog pining for the first class carriage, the Starlight Express is the fairy godmother and Greaseball and Electra are the evil stepsisters.

msmp Profile Photo
msmp
#555BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/24/23 at 8:52pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "What's the music under the curtain call? That's a bop and I know it appeared elsewhere in the show too."

Pretty sure it's the music from the party after Prince Charming's wedding, one of the better musical pieces I think. I don't have my Playbill handy so I'm not sure the name of that particular number.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#556BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/24/23 at 9:00pm

It's aptly titled "The Wedding Party."

TheOnlyOne2
#557BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/24/23 at 10:18pm

CATSNYrevival said: "ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "I do think1980 ALW would scoff at 2023 ALW writing a rehash of CINDERELLA."

1984’s Starlight Express is literally a rehash of Cinderella. Rusty is the underdog pining for the first class carriage, the Starlight Express is the fairy godmother and Greaseball and Electra are the evil stepsisters.
"

But don't forget about me, cuz "I'm Memphis Belle theeeeeee SLEEPER CAR"

Updated On: 3/24/23 at 10:18 PM

pethian Profile Photo
pethian
#558BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/25/23 at 1:29am

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "pethian said: "I think the answer to that very pertinent question is the same as it is for many creators who reach a certain age after a long history of success--an attempt to be relevant in an ever more youthful world."

"Quentin Tarantino has a theory that no filmmaker makes their best movies late in life..."

Sondheim said something similar about composer/lyricists. And here comes HERE WE ARE.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#559BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/25/23 at 1:51am

pethian said: "ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Quentin Tarantino has a theory that no filmmaker makes their best movies late in life..."

Sondheim said something similar about composer/lyricists. And here comes HERE WE ARE.
"

We could read between the lines that Sondheim was dragging his feet on this one not just because writing came slower with age, but that he didn't feel what he had written was up to his standards.

Someone once claimed "musical theatre is a young person's art form." I don't know that I fully agree since plenty of artists have had success into later life, though could be interesting to track the average age of writers/directors over the years in a given Broadway season. My hunch is that things trend a little older now than they did 50+ years ago.

It's also telling that Sondheim's last new Broadway score was at 64; here's Webber at 75. Not that age should disqualify anyone from working in theatre -- look at Stoppard and Kander and Ann Roth and plenty of others -- but interesting to track.

phantom8019
#560BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/25/23 at 7:41am

I still enjoy ALW's new music; in my opinion his skills are not diminishing in that respect. I agree with the notion that he spoils his newer shows by having too much control (i.e., all of it). It's a result of his previous success. 
I read an interview years ago, though I can't remember where, and he said he would love to do film scores but no one ever asks him because they just assume his answer would be no. I would love for ALW to write 3 or 4 film scores in his later years now. I am a big fan  of just his music without the lyrics, and it would allow him to produce new music outside of the theatre and all of these concerns. But I can't see him really doing it, because wouldn't he have to sign over copyright of that music to whatever studio owns the movie? I just don't think that's his personality. And plus he would lose the ability to recycle parts of that score later on.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#561BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/25/23 at 10:49am

phantom8019 said: "I still enjoy ALW's new music; in my opinion his skills are not diminishing in that respect."

I've long been of the opinion that ALW is the master of the musical hook. Nobody writes an earworm like him.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#562BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/25/23 at 1:12pm

Lot666 said: "phantom8019 said: "I still enjoy ALW's new music; in my opinion his skills are not diminishing in that respect."

I've long been of the opinion that ALW is the master of the musical hook. Nobody writes an earworm like him.

"

I've had "Far too late" stuck in my head all week... as well as "The Wedding Party" (which wasn't even something I enjoyed from the score)

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#563BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/25/23 at 1:26pm

Lot666 said: "phantom8019 said: "I still enjoy ALW's new music; in my opinion his skills are not diminishing in that respect."

"

Yep. His music is largely good in this show imho (contrary to Jesse Green's belief). And he had great coauthors. But he's exerting too much control. I wish he'd have welcomed a great musical comedy director in for this show and trusted them, this could have been so much different. Susan Stroman! Jerry Mitchell! Casey Nicholaw! Marianne Elliott! Alex Timbers! Even someone like Scott Ellis or Darko Tresnjak or Matthew Warchus!

He needs an orchestration collaborator here, too, like his old collaborators David Cullen or John Cameron (or the late Hershey Kay who he did Evita with).

There's a lot of missed opportunity here.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#564BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/25/23 at 1:47pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "It's also telling that Sondheim's last new Broadway score was at 64; here's Webber at 75. Not that age should disqualify anyone from working in theatre -- look at Stoppard and Kander and Ann Roth and plenty of others -- but interesting to track."

I think you are running away a little from what I think is your point (and QT's). I don't think anyone is advocating discouraging anyone from doing work at any age. I think the question is whether it is one's best work and there are not too many examples of that. And I also think (as you more or less mention) that as we age we tend to become control freaks more and more. And that is definitely a part of what has happened on ALW's trajectory. There is a lot wrong with this show that can be attributed to having the wrong person in control of everything and making sure that control is not at issue by having a lot of sycophants around. 

MrMushnik
#565BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/25/23 at 2:37pm

I am flying in next weekend to see this show and am excited, as I feel some of the music is just gorgeous. Been looking forward to it ever since hearing CHF and the london cast.  I totally expect the book to be horrendous, but as a HUUUUGGEE fan of Love Never Dies, good music trumps all for me. I think Far Too Late, Mans Man, I Know I have a Heart, and Only You Lonely You are just beautiful songs (at least as sung by CHF.)

That being said, the biggest issue I feel facing this show is Linedy. Again, I have not seen the show yet (Next Sat night) but everything I have seen and heard from her is that she is just not a quality vocalist or actress. The reviews say the same.  I'm sure she's "fine" but in a city with hundreds of women who would just kill this role why on earth would they cast her? Even if they were intent on casting a POC there are again hundreds of women who could have done a better job, known and unknown.  If they had cast an actress with off the chart stage presence and vocal chops, um like CHF, people might have been willing to overlook the bad parts of the show. 

So why was she cast? What could the creatives possibly have been thinking? They had CHF RIGHT FRICKING THERE!!!! Was it not obvious to these professional theatre creators during rehearsals that she was just not bringing the quality required for the role? Everyone else can see it clearly. The day after they released the title song snippet on Tiktok she was being destroyed (Fairly IMO). I have a daughter pursuing her BFA and even at 19 she and some of her classmates could sing these beautiful songs better than Linedy. It really sucks to have to pile on her like this but she just does not sing well. Period. Whoever cast her should be embarassed.

I'm still excited to see this, but in my heart i'm praying for an understudy. 

Long live CHF!!

Jarethan
#566BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/25/23 at 3:02pm

Since preview business was pretty dismal and the reviews were pretty awful, it will be interesting to see if this closes quickly or runs longer and just bleedS money.  If there is really a potential Evita rival in late Fall, will ALW keep it running just to extend his 45 year track record?  Or will a longer, even money losing run, increase touring possibilities?

MemorableUserName
#567BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/25/23 at 3:03pm

Even if Fletcher was a big enough name to warrant being brought over (which she isn't), given how vocal she was about how Webber (mis)handled the closing announcement for Cinderella, there was no way he would have kept her.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#568BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/25/23 at 3:26pm

Jarethan said: "Since preview business was pretty dismal and the reviews were pretty awful, it will be interesting to see if this closes quickly or runs longer and just bleedS money. If there is really a potential Evita rival in late Fall, will ALW keep it running just to extend his 45 year track record? Or will a longer, even money losing run, increase touring possibilities?"

Its grosses went up last week and they've only been doing 7 shows a week in previews. The WOM just seems so toxic for this show.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#569BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/25/23 at 3:30pm

Andrew's son, Nick Webber, sadly died today at age 43 after battling gastric cancer. "I am shattered to have to announce that my beloved elder son Nick died a few hours ago in Basingstoke Hospital. His whole family is gathered together and we are all totally bereft."

Updated On: 3/25/23 at 03:30 PM

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#570BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/25/23 at 3:34pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Andrew's son, Nick Webber, sadly died today at age 43 after battling gastric cancer."

Jeez. Sending lots of love. 

Oh look, a bibu!

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#571BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/25/23 at 3:37pm

What a heartbreaking, horrible time for everyone that loved him. Love and thoughts coming from all over the world. 

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#572BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/25/23 at 3:40pm

Oh my! Sending love to the Lloyd Webber family. This is a tragic loss. 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

BCfitasafiddle
#573BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/25/23 at 3:46pm

Heartbreaking news. My condolences to ALW, Sarah Hugil, and all of the family. Nick Lloyd Webber was a major talent that the world lost too quickly. Unimaginable sorrow. 

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#574BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/25/23 at 4:02pm

Just devastating. No words.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Videos