pixeltracker

Unpopular opinions you hold- Page 24

Unpopular opinions you hold

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#575Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 5/14/16 at 3:44pm

seahag2 said: "I've seen too many people say that Ramos and Oak here snubbed and someone even mentioned how they gave the nom to Groff because of "deep rooted problems within The Academy.""

Oh Jesus Christ.

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#576Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 5/14/16 at 4:27pm

I am actually looking forward to the revival of "Cats" and I liked it when I saw it in 1983.

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#577Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 5/24/16 at 4:12pm

I absolutely DESPISE the call-back responses people do for Rocky Horror.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#578Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 5/24/16 at 4:35pm

seahag2 said: "I've seen too someone even mentioned how they gave the nom to Groff because of 'deep rooted problems within The Academy.'"

What Academy were they talking about...these aren't the Oscars.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#579Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 5/24/16 at 4:41pm

Here is one from a blast from the past.  I actually enjoyed parts of Thou Shalt Not. There I said it. 

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

groucho797 Profile Photo
groucho797
#580Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 5/25/16 at 1:21am

Fun thread, nice to see the reactions. My top 3 unpopular opinions:

#3: I could only get about 10 songs into the Hamilton cast recording and realized I could never sit through the show.

#2: My friend and I saw Priscilla and Mormon the same weekend. We both thought Priscilla was more fun.

#1: I saw Women on the Verge three times when it ran. I just really liked a lot of the score.

Bonus Bitch: I'll never sit through Les Miz again, ever!

Updated On: 5/25/16 at 01:21 AM

Wilmingtom
#581Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 5/25/16 at 1:29am

When Rent opened and had a cover story in Newsweek called "The Future of the Broadway Musical."  The future?  I thought it was a throwback to the hold-hands-and-sway days of "Godspell" and "Your Own Thing," more retro than anything that season, including "State Fair." 

annang
#582Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 5/23/17 at 10:24pm

Here's mine: I saw come from away at Ford's theater in DC. I absolutely hated it. I thought the characters were shallow and one dimensional, the music was at best sort of trite, and at worst prettt grating, and the whole thing just felt wrong to me in the way portrayed the emotional resonance of the largest terrorist attack on American soil. There were points, more tha a few, where I found it bordering on offensive. The whole thing made me very uncomfortable, and I didn't enjoy it at all. It appears that I'm basically the only person who has seen it who feels that way.

Another Winter Profile Photo
Another Winter
#583Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 5/23/17 at 11:09pm

Annang I could not agree more about come from away. I've seen so many post saying how great the book of the show is and I found it so generic. I thought the gay couple was such a cliche and unoriginal. Although they might have been real people, it felt sweaty and like they were trying to get the approval of gay theatre goers.

Gensho Profile Photo
Gensho
#584Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 5/24/17 at 12:42am

I walked out after the first act of The Front Page. I thought it was dated and boring af. 

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#585Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 5/24/17 at 1:04am

Y'all are gonna hate me for this one.

I prefer Bright StarAnastasia, and Bandstand to Hamilton.

(Don't get me wrong, though, I do love Hamilton)

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#586Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 5/24/17 at 1:23am

I think MY FAIR LADY is a solid show but hardly the perfect masterpiece most people hold it up to be.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

hork Profile Photo
hork
#587Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 5/24/17 at 1:59am

I've come to realize that I hate West Side Story.

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#588Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 5/24/17 at 7:22am

Come From Away was one of the hokiest, most cliche, and frankly, worst musicals that I have ever seen.  The whole thing feels unintentionally satirical.  I remember watching the show and feeling like I was watching an SNL skit.  The lyrics and music are among the worst that I have ever heard and the choreography is hilariously terrible.  It's just all terribly amateur and feels like a community theatre production.  The appeal is lost on me.

10086sunset
#589Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 5/24/17 at 8:05am

Hello, Dolly! is not the greatest thing since sliced bread.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#590Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 5/24/17 at 8:20am

10086sunset said: "Hello, Dolly! is not the greatest thing since sliced bread."

How lazy were people back in the day that not having to slice bread became their metric for awesomeness? I've bought unsliced loaves of bread, it's not really a huge chore.

ChildofEarth Profile Photo
ChildofEarth
#591Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 5/24/17 at 8:57am

From this season:

The "wartime" choreography in Bandstand ruined it for me - far too much;

Pasek and Paul aren't all that great either - LMM deserved the Oscar and almost every other show has better lyrics than DEH;

Christine Ebersole is the better singer; Patti Lupone is the better actress;

As much as I love Colella, Q. Smith should have gotten a Tony nom over her;

Indecent is the best play of the last 5 years, easily.

Updated On: 5/24/17 at 08:57 AM

mamaleh
#592Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 5/24/17 at 8:59am

Agree about COME FROM AWAY. What an overly praised piece of mediocrity--at best.  I felt like I was in the midst of the "The Emperor's New Clothes," with everyone around me screaming in delight while I sat there wondering how we could be seeing the same show.  

Also, my appreciation of Audra McDonald has dimmed considerably since I learned that she performed at Joe's Pub a few years ago at a benefit purportedly for Palestinian artists.  The group benefiting was based in Jenin, a stronghold of terrorists, and aligned with a terror organization.  Now, granted, she may not have known this, but I cannot get that out of my head.  However talented she is, I cannot bring myself to see her on stage anymore.  

EvanstonDad
#593Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 5/24/17 at 9:41am

Patti LuPone is like nails on a chalkboard in everything she does.

And the score to Hamilton stinks.

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#594Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 5/24/17 at 9:55am

these are serious ones for me from shows I;ve seen recently............

Josh Groban, I love him, but he was only nominated because he is Josh Groban, his role was underwhelming.

The other guy from Comet that was nominated (cant remember his name) I also cant figure out why.

Great Comet, I liked the show but it was just ok.

On seeing Anastasia, I'm so not a Ramin fan, his singing i find quite irritating and nasal.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#595Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 5/24/17 at 9:57am

I love Laura Benanti as an actress, but I find the persona she puts forward through her social media so insufferable. 

I thought Cherry Jones should've won the Tony for Best Actress in a Play over Audra McDonald (who I actually just thought was in the wrong category). 

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

TheThreadMaster Profile Photo
TheThreadMaster
#596Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 5/24/17 at 9:58am

I enjoyed wicked. There i said it.

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#597Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 5/24/17 at 10:11am

I think THE MUSIC MAN is absolutely terrible.

PRISCILLA, QUEEN OF THE DESERT is the most fun I've ever at a musical.

AN AMERICAN IN PARIS has one of the weakest books I've ever heard in a musical.

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#598Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 5/24/17 at 10:12am

I did not care for Titus' Sebastian in The Little Mermaid. Granted the production was completely doomed. I do think he'd have been perfect as Ursula.

Phantom Of The Opera Broadway production is grossly overrated.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.
Updated On: 5/24/17 at 10:12 AM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#599Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 5/24/17 at 10:40am

Perfect as Ursula....Yaaaaas.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Videos