pixeltracker

NBC's ANNIE LIVE! (2021) - News & Discussion Thread- Page 24

NBC's ANNIE LIVE! (2021) - News & Discussion Thread

KFC1991
#575NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 12/3/21 at 12:05pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "iluvtheatertrash said: "Not sure how anyone could have watched last night and found nothing kind to say. How could someone not be amazed by Celina’s skill at such an age?"

Apparently you’re not aware she’s a series regular on the Tyler Perry series YOUNG DYLAN, therefore she is experienced working with cameras, learning scripts, working with other actors and camera blocking, etc. The only addition was she was singing. She wasn’t “discovered” at Taco Bell.
"

What a strange response to someone excited about this young talent. No one implied this was the first thing she's done. Now pull up your depends and walk on by. 

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#576NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 12/3/21 at 12:06pm

Checked out the overnight reviews at major publications, and the comments in response to mostly favorable press are vicious, particularly at The Washington Post. Any discussion of flaws is met with dissent, often ad hominem in nature This strange vibe takes over whenever anyone finds fault with these TV musicals. It started with the infamous Underwood Sound of Music, which had people tweeting and Facebooking in real time, wanting participatory commentary to define the evening's shared experience. Hey, it created community: you can't stop the unifying force of the era, social media.  And then came the shouts of "Stop ruining it for me!" Suddenly, it became unseemly to not adore the final product.

But beyond that, all entertainment is critiqued, analyzed in detail for what works and what fails. Scolding critics -- of all people! -- to stop nitpicking because we-just-need-to-love-the-fact-that-this-show-exists-so-please-shut-up just feels like another kind of entitlement. Skip reviews if parsing particulars unsettles you. Critics have a niche job, just like audiences have a right. Don't read appraisals if they offend, but don't tell appraisers it's their obligation to reflect your subjective delight. 

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

AEA AGMA SM
#577NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 12/3/21 at 12:11pm

Marlothom said: "For some reason, I kept hearing something similar to stage manger directions for 3/4 of the show ("Grace continues to dance with the 'servants' and joins Ms. Pugh playing the piano). It was very odd, anyone else get that?"

Sounds like somehow you turned on an audio description feed. It's sort of like closed captioning, but for people who are visually impaired.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#578NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 12/3/21 at 12:13pm

Marlothom said: "For some reason, I kept hearing something similar to stage manger directions for 3/4 of the show ("Grace continues to dance with the 'servants' and joins Ms. Pugh playing the piano). It was very odd, anyone else get that?"

Was that the audio description, maybe? I don't remember hearing it, but I actually heard another patron's at Caroline, or Change last week and it threw me of until I realized she was just sitting near me and had it on really loudly. Still odd (and intriguing!) that it might come up on TV for you, though.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

JSquared2
#579NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 12/3/21 at 12:24pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "iluvtheatertrash said: "Not sure how anyone could have watched last night and found nothing kind to say. How could someone not be amazed by Celina’s skill at such an age?"

Apparently you’re not aware she’s a series regular on the Tyler Perry series YOUNG DYLAN, therefore she is experienced working with cameras, learning scripts, working with other actors and camera blocking, etc. The only addition was she was singing. She wasn’t “discovered” at Taco Bell.
"

Gee, it must suck to be as miserable as you seem to be all the time.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#580NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 12/3/21 at 12:26pm

I was shocked by the live "editing" between cameras - which surprised me because Alex Rudzinski has done such flawless work on most of these productions - I otherwise I thought it looked great. Jason Sherwood, who did Rent Live and a few other notable works, designed a lovely, versatile set, that allowed for big scenes but didn't overwhelm the cast. It also made for quick scene changes, and I loved when it was suddenly Christmas after a commercial break. And that really brought home the fact that we were just watching something overtly positive and family-friendly, and it's what audiences needed. 

The cast overall was delightful. I did find some inconsistencies in acting choices scene to scene interesting, but didn't really affect my enjoyment that much. That said, Celina was a total delight, what a voice, and imagine being able to lead a show with millions watching? Kudos to her.

I could see the appeal of Harry, he certainly can project the warmth and the stiltedness, of the character without making him unlikeable. If he was a bit behind, it was distracting but it kind of worked since he's coming out of his shell. And when he broke out into the piano, it was a treat. (The less said about the bald cap, the better.)

I think as the more experienced TV star, Taraji knew her strengths, knew this character was written over-the-top and was just like, "I'm gonna chew what little scenery there is, the audience is gonna eat it up too." And for the most part, she was a lot of fun.

I had my doubts about Nicole, especially since considering her talents, she's basically a TV judge for hire now, but I thought she did a lovely job, especially recovering from a  torn hamstring! And how she managed to go straight from that huge "We Got Annie!" number straight into a book scene, looking calm with beads of sweat on her face? Gold star right there!

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

JSquared2
#581NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 12/3/21 at 12:33pm

Luscious said: "Just dreadful. The staging was all wrong. This should have never been performed in the round with the audience in clear view throughout. It's not that kind of show and the audience serves no purpose. ANNIE is not JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR. Additionally, the sets looked cheap and cheesy, although, personally I find cheesy and ANNIE to be synonymous. The casting was all wrong. I won't go into the shortcomings of almost all involved, but Taraji P. Hensen was just the worst! This woman does not belong in a musical anything. She doesn't have a voice. And I could possibly forgive her insufferable mugging if any of it was even the least bit funny. Harry Connick, Jr, was also woefully miscast and not in good voice. If this wasn't the worst of the LIVE TV musicals, it came damn close. Bah humbug."

Maybe you shouldn't be watching, then?  Surely there was a rerun of Matlock or Murder She Wrote on another channel that you could have switched to??

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#582NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 12/3/21 at 12:38pm

JSquared2 said: "BrodyFosse123 said: "iluvtheatertrash said: "Not sure how anyone could have watched last night and found nothing kind to say. How could someone not be amazed by Celina’s skill at such an age?"

"

Gee, it must suck to be as miserable as you seem to be all the time.
"

Nah, it’s pretty good being miserable.  Private charter to Art Basel in Miami Beach shortly.  2 day job in Paris this coming week and then back to NYC to see WEST SIDE STORY and BEING THE RICARDOS.  Being miserable is devastating and affecting my mental health.  

BCfitasafiddle
#583NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 12/3/21 at 1:17pm

Rating were... not stellar. Sadly. 

A shame because this was way better than many of the others.

SouthernCakes
#584NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 12/3/21 at 1:18pm

Yeah I’ll take whatever job you have. 

2 things can be true: you can be wowed at her talents at a young age (she was so likeable, she just made me smile) and acknowledge that she has the experience. 

Honor2002
#585NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 12/3/21 at 1:25pm

Did anyone get a little teary-eyed at the end, when it started out with the whole cast singing "Tomorrow", and then they leave and the girls from the beginning of the show sing it, and Celina and Molly sing the last two lines on their own, before the production company logos showed up? I sure did

MCfan2 Profile Photo
MCfan2
#586NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 12/3/21 at 2:07pm

It was a little uneven -- the kids were much stronger than the adult performers overall! -- but on the whole, I enjoyed it. Annie and Molly in particular were little stars -- darn kids kept bringing me to tears. :) Burgess, Hilty, and Kurtz were the real standouts among the adult performers; Henson was good, if a little cartoonish. The costumes were terrific, and I liked the set, too.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#587NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 12/3/21 at 2:07pm

Honor2002 said: "Did anyone get a little teary-eyed at the end, when it started out with the whole cast singing "Tomorrow", and then they leave and the girls from the beginning of the show sing it, and Celina and Molly sing the last two lines on their own, before the production company logos showed up? I sure did"

I went from three hours of "Oh this is all so fun!" to almost bursting into tears. It was a beautiful ending that we all needed.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#588NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 12/3/21 at 3:14pm

I have only watched the first act so far, and it's pretty well done. I love the scenic design and choreography, and think most of the cast is good. Celina is by far my favorite - this is the first time I have not been annoyed by the character of Annie. 

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#589NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 12/3/21 at 3:55pm

I real liked the dog.

BrodyFosse123
#590NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 12/3/21 at 5:08pm

From a rehearsal earlier this week, without their wigs (and bald cap):

NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season

iluvtheatertrash
#591NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 12/3/21 at 5:11pm

I never suggested she was discovered at Taco Bell. And skill goes well beyond being able to follow blocking and find a camera spot - she gave a beautifully mature performance and carried the show wonderfully. 

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

Dollypop
#592NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 12/3/21 at 5:31pm

Drat! Somehow I thought this was going to air on the 7th and watched that over-long Alec Baldwin interview. Hopefully ANNIE will re-air.

Judging from the comments about Harry's bald cap, I'm glad I shaved my head when I played Warbucks.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

BrodyFosse123
#593NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 12/3/21 at 5:36pm

Dollypop said: "Drat! Somehow I thought this was going to air on the 7th and watched that over-long Alec Baldwin interview. Hopefully ANNIE will re-air.

Judging from the comments about Harry's bald cap, I'm glad I shaved my head when I played Warbucks.
"

It’s already on Peacock TV.  Download the app and you can watch it for free.  

pmensky
#594NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 12/3/21 at 7:05pm

I watched this on Peacock this morning. I thought all the performances were wonderful and very moving. My only complaint is the same one I’ve had with most of the NBC musicals which is that the camera work was awkward and sloppy. I don’t care about the little mistakes here and there. It’s that I don’t like that they use so many closeups. I notice this is a trend when filming stage musicals, and I feel like it is almost meant to de-theatricalize them just because they’re in a different medium. 

bwayobsessed
#595NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 12/3/21 at 7:37pm

Wait can you not just watch in nbc with a cable provider log in???

Dollypop
#596NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 12/3/21 at 8:28pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "Dollypop said: "Drat! Somehow I thought this was going to air on the 7th and watched that over-long Alec Baldwin interview. Hopefully ANNIE will re-air.

"

It’s already on Peacock TV. Download the app and you can watch it for free.
"

Many thanks

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#597NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 12/3/21 at 9:09pm

my fav of the night is when the camera pan over to the ensemble hunched over and tip toeing to get to the next scene. everyone was amazing. no weak links in the cast. camera was just crazy at times. it was a moving night. mr bundles forever

BrodyFosse123
#598NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 12/3/21 at 9:47pm

bwayobsessed said: "Wait can you not just watch in nbc with a cable provider log in???"

Indeed you can, but I’m sure you figured that out by now.  

KathyNYC2
#599NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 12/3/21 at 11:21pm

BCfitasafiddle said: "Rating were... not stellar. Sadly.

A shame because this was way better than many of the others.
"

I’m not really sure we can look at ratings the same way anymore to compare. When Sound of Music was on, for example, streaming tv was not the norm. You watched it on the one night, maybe they re-broadcast over the weekend once and then if you wanted you could buy the DVD. Annie watching on the other hand will be spread out over time. Most people who I personally know (with kids) plan to watch it over the weekend.  Why would you keep a child up on a school night until 11pm if you have other options?  

I loved a lot of this. I would have changed a bunch of things but overall it I enjoyed much of it. I agree the kids overall as a group were pretty impressive. 

Sadly, practically everyone gets noted at the end during the credits …. except the musicians. It’s the usual..and completely unfair. I would like to applaud them here..they sounded terrific.

Updated On: 12/4/21 at 11:21 PM

Videos