curel1
#650Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/25/17 at 11:44am

Ah I see, thanks!

Jayar2 Profile Photo
Jayar2
#651Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/25/17 at 2:21pm

I guess I don't understand why many think that Rachel Bay Jones is a lock for supporting. I could see any of 20 other actresses playing that part and not changing the feel of the show. Instead, I see Brittain Ashford as the frontrunner. She's such a departure for Broadway productions, and in all of the youtube videos that I've seen of other folks trying to sing this song, she is the only one who feels the heart of the song. I think that this is just one of those cases where the show would be lesser if she was not part of it. Were I a Tony voter, I would cast mine for her.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#652Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/25/17 at 3:02pm

^Jayar2. It's funny you say that because I saw Brittain's understudy when we went it early January and I thought she did a very good job with "feeling the heart of the song". I have only seen Brittain's clips and listened to the cast album version, don't think it's all too Tony worthy. Honestly, the part itself is rather bland. Amber Gray's performance was much more compelling as a featured actress.

Rachel Bay Jones singing "So Big/ So Small" is... heart breaking. I cried through that entire song, it was extremely well done. Full disclosure - that part of the story is too personal for me because my boyfriend's mom lost her husband to cancer when my bf was only 12. Any scenes which referenced Evan's dad and his mom's single-mother status were too real for me to be completely objective, but I'm sure a bad performer would not have been able to take me there.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.
Updated On: 4/25/17 at 03:02 PM

Jayar2 Profile Photo
Jayar2
#653Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/25/17 at 3:32pm

For the record, I enjoyed Rachel Bay Jones. Just didn't think it was a Tony WINNING performance.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#654Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/25/17 at 3:36pm

Predict 11 Tony Nominations for Hello Dolly

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#655Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/25/17 at 3:40pm

Jayar2 said: "For the record, I enjoyed Rachel Bay Jones. Just didn't think it was a Tony WINNING performance.

For the record, I enjoyed Brittain Ashford.  Just didn't think it was a Tony WINNING performance.

Seriously though, I loove Brittain, but Rachel Bay Jones is doing absolutely incredible work and totally deserves recognition.  I think if the award were to go to anyone else it would go to Stephanie J Block who was sensational in Falsettos.

reginula Profile Photo
reginula
#656Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/25/17 at 3:47pm

So for Featured Actress/Actor from Come From Away, you're saying just Jenn Colella and Rodney HIcks? I'd love to see multiple nominations in that category, given they are well... all featured. Maybe Astrid van Wieren or Q Smith, Joel Hatch or Chad KImball?

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#657Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/25/17 at 3:52pm

The Featured categories are crowded. It's hard for a show to break in with multiple nominations in a single featured category unless it's a steamroller hit.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#658Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/25/17 at 9:46pm

I feel like best direction of a musical will be a very competitive category with the locks being: 

Rachel Chavkin, creating such an innovative concept and staging. 

Christopher Ashley, using a small cast, but utilizing so many characters and incredibly well done.

Michael Greif, he's yet to receive a tony award so the voters might want to help him out, especially for such a great piece of theatre.

Matthew Warchus, they need to make things right for not giving him the tony award for Matilda. 

Jerry Zaks will probably grab the 5th slot.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#659Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/25/17 at 9:52pm

"Michael Greif, he's yet to receive a tony award so the voters might want to help him out, especially for such a great piece of theatre.

Matthew Warchus, they need to make things right for not giving him the tony award for Matilda."

Neither of those are reasons why Warchus and Grief would win. Warchus already has a Tony for God of Carnage, and Grief won't win unless Dear Evan Hansen manages to sweep. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

And Peggy Profile Photo
And Peggy
#660Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/25/17 at 9:54pm

I know it's a crowded field, but a Tony nom for Astrid van Wieren would really warm my heart. She was a favorite in an extremely lovable ensemble.   

Mike66
#661Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/25/17 at 11:52pm

evic said: "Bobbyd3- we should be friends....I escaped Comet after the first Act and agree about Sunset- laughable and a big bore.

"I'm in  I cannot for the life of me understand what people liked  about Comet -- except the interesting theatre design.  Lord help us if singing in the "third person" catches on.  Or maybe I should sing "Mike really thinks this was a really bad waste of his time and money."

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#662Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/26/17 at 12:24am

pupscotch said: "Anastasia might win choreography, because there is some intense ballet in that show that we haven't seen much of on Broadway. 

"No it won't

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#663Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/26/17 at 12:44am

reginula said: "So for Featured Actress/Actor from Come From Away, you're saying just Jenn Colella and Rodney HIcks? I'd love to see multiple nominations in that category, given they are well... all featured. Maybe Astrid van Wieren or Q Smith, Joel Hatch or Chad KImball?

"BEST FEATURED ACTRESS MUSICAL

Stephanie J. Block - Falsettos

Jenn Colella - Come From Away

Kate Baldwin - Hello Dolly

Rachel Bay Jones - Dear Evan Hansen

Mary Beth Peil - Anastasia

Updated On: 4/27/17 at 12:44 AM

elephantseye
#664Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/26/17 at 1:17am

Brittain Ashford is almost certainly going to divide Tony voters-- she has an unconventional style that is very polarizing.

Also- I don't want to live in a world where Stephanie J. Block loses featured to Rachel Bay Jones.

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#665Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/26/17 at 1:23am

I think Amber Gray may have more Tony momentum, especially with people who saw her do HADESTOWN off-Broadway.

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#666Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/26/17 at 2:36am

These are my current predictions:

Best Musical: 
WINNER- Dear Evan Hansen
The Great Comet of 1812
Come From Away
Groundhog Day

War Paint

Best Actor (Musical):
WINNER- Ben Platt- Dear Evan Hansen
Andy Karl- Groundhog Day 
Jon Jon Briones- Miss Saigon 
David Hyde Pierce- Hello, Dolly!
Josh Groban- The Great Comet

Best Actress(Musical):
WINNER- Bette Midler- Hello, Dolly!
Christine Ebersole- War Paint
Patti Lupone- War Paint
Denee Benton- The Great Comet
Eva Noblezada- Miss Saigon

Best Featured Actor (Musical):
WINNER- Lucas Steele- The Great Comet
Gavin Creel- Hello, Dolly!
Brandon Uranowitz- Falsettos
Andrew Rannells- Falsettos
Rodney Hicks- Come From Away

Best Featured Actress (Musical):
WINNER- Rachel Bay Jones- Dear Evan Hansen
Stephanie J Block- Falsettos
Amber Gray- The Great Comet
Brittain Ashford- The Great Comet
Jenn Colella- Come From Away

Best Revival of a Musical:
WINNER- Hello, Dolly!
Falsettos
Miss Saigon

Best Score:
WINNER: Dear Evan Hansen (Pasek and Paul) or The Great Comet (Dave Malloy)
Groundhog Day  (Tim Minchin)
Come From Away (David Hein and Irene Carl Sankoff)

Best Book:
WINNER: Come From Away
Dear Evan Hansen
Groundhog Day
The Great Comet

Orchestrations:
WINNER- The Great Comet

Set Design:
WINNER- The Great Comet

Costume Design:
WINNER- The Great Comet or War Paint

Lighting Design:
WINNER- The Great Comet

Choreography:
WINNER- Hello, Dolly! or Holiday Inn

Director:

WINNER- The Great Comet

Updated On: 4/26/17 at 02:36 AM

thebookofwhizzer Profile Photo
thebookofwhizzer
#667Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/26/17 at 8:04am

I adored Falsettos when I saw it, was so moving and truly amazing. I really hope it picks up Best Revival (though I don't think it will). Does anybody think that it could get nominated for any other awards? Minus actors because in my opinion Stephanie J. Block is a lock for a featured actress nom. Also Andrew Rannells i think deserves a nom but I'm not sure he will get one.

“6 AM. The sky glows. Somewhere a bird chirps. I want to shoot it.” ~ Jonathan Larson, Tick...Tick..BOOM

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#668Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/26/17 at 8:10am

thebookofwhizzer said: "I adored Falsettos when I saw it, was so moving and truly amazing. I really hope it picks up Best Revival (though I don't think it will). Does anybody think that it could get nominated for any other awards? Minus actors because in my opinion Stephanie J. Block is a lock for a featured actress nom. Also Andrew Rannells i think deserves a nom but I'm not sure he will get one.

"

I think director is a possibility but that category is also getting pretty tight. 

I'm not sure how reliable Goldderby is for the Tony Awards, but several of the critics are predicting a WIN for Rannells. I really don't think that's likely though.

http://www.goldderby.com/awardshows/expert-predictions/tony-awards-nominations-2017/best-featured-actor-musical/sort/recent/

ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#669Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/26/17 at 8:13am

If SJB is nominated (which I hope she is) she won't win, the showclosed months ago, and this season is CROWDED. If there was gonna be a competition it's gonna be between amber gray and Rachel bay jones....with jones being the front runner imo 

smidge
#670Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/26/17 at 8:29am

I keep having to look up who Amber Gray was in Great Comet. She was fine,  as was the rest of the ensemble.  But she really didn't register for me as a possible Tony contender. 

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#671Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/26/17 at 10:32am

I'm rooting for Rachel Bay Jones, but really wouldn't mind a Jenn Colella upset. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#672Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/26/17 at 10:59am

For COME FROM AWAY, Jenn Colella seems like a lock for featured actress. I think Joel Hatch could sneak in for featured actor. I feel Hatch as the mayor actors as the narrator for the show. The only other actor I could see getting a nomination would be Astrid Van Wieren, but the featured actress category is crowded.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#673Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/26/17 at 11:03am

Best Musical: 

Dear Evan Hansen

The Great Comet of 1812

Come From Away

Groundhog Day

War Paint

Best Actor (Musical):

Jon Jon Briones- Miss Saigon 

Josh Groban-The Great Comet

Andy Karl- Groundhog Day 

David Hyde Pierce-Hello, Dolly!

Ben Platt-Dear Evan Hansen

Best Actress (Musical):

Christy Altomare-Anastasia

Christine Ebersole- War Paint

Patti Lupone- War Paint

Bette Midler- Hello, Dolly!

Denee Benton- The Great Comet/Laura Osnes-Bandstand

Best Featured Actor (Musical):

John Bolton-Anastasia

Gavin Creel- Hello, Dolly!

Andrew Rannells- Falsettos

Lucas Steele- The Great Comet

Michael Xavier-Sunset Boulevard 

Best Featured Actress (Musical):

Stephanie J Block- Falsettos

Jenn Colella- Come From Away

Rachel Bay Jones- Dear Evan Hansen

Caroline O’Connor-Anastasia

Mary Beth Peil-Anastasia/Jennifer Lauren Thompson-DEH

Best Revival of a Musical:

Hello, Dolly!

Falsettos

Miss Saigon

Sunset Boulevard

Best Score:

Dear Evan Hansen 

The Great Comet (Dave Malloy)

Groundhog Day  (Tim Minchin)

Come From Away (David Hein and Irene Carl Sankoff)

Best Book:

Come From Away

Dear Evan Hansen

Groundhog Day

The Great Comet

Orchestrations:

The Great Comet

Come Far Away

Hello Dolly!

Holiday Inn

Anastasia

Set Design:

The Great Comet

Cats

War Paint

A Bronx Tale

Costume Design:

The Great Comet 

War Paint

Anastasia

Cats

Choreography:

Hello, Dolly! 

Holiday Inn

Bandstand

Great Comet

Anastasia/Cats

Director:

Great Comet

Dear Evan Hansen

Come From Away

Hello Dolly

Falsettos

Daddy Warbucks Profile Photo
Daddy Warbucks
#674Appropriately timed 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/26/17 at 3:38pm

chernjam said: "I've wondered if Tony voters might feel similarly and pass on giving it to Hello Dolly as best revival giving Bette that award, but giving it to Sunset since this one has been billed as GLENN CLOSE IN SUNSET BOULEVARD (rather than Andrew Lloyd Webber's Sunset Boulevard as it was in the original)"

I do think Sunset is the sleeper pick for Best Revival for this exact reason.  Glenn Close can't win Best Actress, even though she once again turned in the Best Actress performance.  I think Tony voters might consider giving Best Actress to Bette Midler, and then awarding Best Revival to Sunset Boulevard, as a nod to Glenn Close's performance.  I think the show is deserving of it on its own, but this would be a way to give both shows and both actresses the recognition they deserve.  

Videos