pixeltracker

SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread- Page 28

SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#675SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/16/22 at 7:29pm

DrMonicaDeMoneco said: "Saw the show opening night.

I thought the book was the best thing about the show. Very cleverly written and performed well!

The tap dancing was great as it usually is from a Casey show.

I thought the score was… blah. Couldn’t hum or sing one song 5 minutes after I left the show. All the songs were sung well but nothing blew me away - even the big ballad sung by Sugar.

I felt bad for the ensemble members - none of their parts really added anything to the show. Push this luggage cart across the stage, open this door, walk upstage and exit - It was all very… I don’t know, mindless. Happy they got to tap!

Overall, I liked the show…I thought it was good… just not WOW! Would I recommend it to someone… I don’t know?
"

How can you not notice these 3 featured and stand out performers from the ensemble: Angie Schworer (drummer) Jenny Hill and ''stud'' Casey Garvin. They shine in the ensemble and you can't keep your eyes off them.

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

A Director
#676SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/22 at 5:04am

I saw the musical number on GMA.  I don't have a clue what the song is about. It's loud, generic and goes nowhere. Worst of all, it has no musical style. In the world of old fashioned musical, listeners could always tell who wrote music. As the lyrics in the number, the less said the better. With all the tapping, I understood a few  words here and there. What's with all the tap dancing? It had no style.  The director/choreographer doesn't know how to build a number. YAWN!

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#677SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/22 at 8:06am

Yes, Casey Nicholaw, who has been nominated and won awards for both directing and choreography, doesn’t know how to build a number. That’s a good one.

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

BETTY22
#678SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/22 at 8:18am

I'm not that number on GMA was worth it.

Remember, the producer has to pick up the casts, not the show!

Nice to see the performers performing live. The band was a track and sounded great.

However, for a show that isn't selling great, they needed a WOW moment. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#679SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/22 at 9:42am

jacobsnchz14 said: "Performance video from GMA has been posted on Facebook."

Just watched this. Song was forgettable, and tapping was nice. Felt bad for the rest of the cast that had to get up super early to just be wallpaper for this number.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

DrMonicaDeMoneco Profile Photo
DrMonicaDeMoneco
#680SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/22 at 10:42am

ACL2006 said: "jacobsnchz14 said: "Performance video from GMA has been posted on Facebook."

Just watched this. Song was forgettable, and tapping was nice. Felt bad for the rest of the cast that had to get up super early to just be wallpaper for this number.
"

Exactly!

this show probably won’t last past Jan 3

inception Profile Photo
inception
#681SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/22 at 11:39am

The video is also on GMA's YouTube channel.

I guess they are trying to sell the show as a generic good time?

I would rather have seen one of Adrianna Hick's numbers.

This was at the top of my list to see when it was first announced,  but the more I see of it the less I care.

My last trip to NYC I had lots of time & saw 13 shows.  My next trip I only have time to see 9 shows & have already committed to 7.  This probably isn't making the cut for a final spot.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#682SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/22 at 11:49am

Not a great choice for advertising. I saw the show again last night and even though Angie was out (you realize how impeccable her comedic timing is) everything else was still wonderful. I was front mezz and could see the mezz was maybe 65% full which, for a Friday night the week after opening to great reviews, isn’t ideal.

I could see and hear that a LOT of people were tourists and they all had a great time so my hope is that the show starts to pick up steam with travelers and becomes one of the shows they want to see while in town. 

Oh and Casey Garvin does this cute little thing where he walks onstage and just exists and it’s the best thing ever. 

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#683SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/22 at 11:55am

I just checked Telecharge about today's performances and glanced through the week. The mezz and balcony are basically unsold. About 1/3 of the orchestra remains unsold for this evening, a Saturday night. No one is buying the upper tiers, save the center of the first row. If you want to be shocked, look at the Wednesday matinee, December 21st. Only 1/4 of the orchestra is sold, bout 1/3 of the mezz, which looks like a theater party booking. Balcony, unsold.

Wednesday and Friday nights are on TDF (mysteriously, not the wide open Wednesday afternoon). If you plan to see it, via discounting, go in December.

I was captivated by the show Wednesday afternoon, and remain puzzled by these sales. Incredibly sad.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 12/17/22 at 11:55 AM

Lola Getz2 Profile Photo
Lola Getz2
#684SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/22 at 3:39pm

This is just so,  so sad. It really pains me to say this, but from a marketing angle this may have appealed more to the general public as a jukebox musical using popular songs of the period. So many of the songs from the American Songbook could have been easily interpolated into this story. (In fact, when I heard they were using Let's Be Bad I thought they may as well have used Let's Misbehave. )

It does not bode well for Broadway that this show, with glowing reviews and great WOM would be struggling. 

Do you think Moulin Rouge or & Juliet would have been as successful with original scores? 

And to reiterate, this really breaks my heart to even suggest such a thing, but you have to wonder. 

JasonC3
#685SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/22 at 4:05pm

Not all the reviews were glowing; several were quite lukewarm.

https://didtheylikeit.com/shows/some-like-it-hot/

Among my theatergoing circle the reaction is a mix of "I feel like I've already seen this show" and "I don't have a real need to see this show."  Both are keeping them from prioritizing attending it.

BuddyStarr Profile Photo
BuddyStarr
#686SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/22 at 4:38pm

I don't understand all the hate and negativity on this board for this show.  It seems like there are many who are just hoping that this show fails.  I've seen it twice and was floored by how great it is.  There seem to be a lot of people overjoyed at the thought of this show closing early. Can anyone explain the hate for this original musical with probably one of the hardest working ensembles on stage?

JasonC3
#687SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/22 at 4:59pm

I certainly don't hate the show and don't read a lot of other people here who do either. The show has many assets, but it also has some flaws, many of which are addressed in critics' reviews.. 

Some people here have been trying to understand why it isn't selling better.  I guess it could come off as negativity, but I just see some of us sharing our perspective on what might be keeping some people from buying tickets.

pethian Profile Photo
pethian
#688SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/22 at 5:17pm

Lola Getz2 said: "This is just so, so sad. It really pains me to say this, but from a marketing angle this may have appealed more to the general public as a jukebox musical using popular songs of the period. So many of the songs from the American Songbook could have been easily interpolated into this story....

Do you think Moulin Rouge or & Juliet would have been as successful with original scores?

And to reiterate, this really breaks my heart to even suggest such a thing, but you have to wonder.
"

Well, this is a most depressing notion and I pray it's not true. I too am shocked and saddened by the lack of sales this upcoming week but I didn't think  the major problem was an original score, or even that it was a contributing problem. Please let it not be so.

Lola Getz2 Profile Photo
Lola Getz2
#689SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/22 at 5:42pm

pethian said: "I didn't think the major problem was an original score, or even that it was a contributing problem. Please let it not be so.”

But as far as getting people in seats, “ A new musical featuring classics from some of America’s greatest composers: Berlin, Gershwin, Rodgers and Hart, Duke Ellington and more!”  might be a more valuable marketing tool than “From the team who brought you Hairspray.”  I love Marc and Scott and have no doubt of their incredible talent, but you know what I’m saying? I hope this show nothing but success and that it will run for a very long time.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#690SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/22 at 6:45pm

BuddyStarr said: "I don't understand all the hate and negativity on this board for this show. It seems like there are many who are just hoping that this show fails. I've seen it twice and was floored by how great it is. There seem to be a lot of people overjoyed at the thought of this show closing early. Can anyone explain the hate for this original musical with probably one of the hardest working ensembles on stage?"

I don't want this show to fail. I know that many lives depend on it. But it's just not (IMO) a good show. I wrote about why I disliked the show upthread but here it is again:

https://humbledandoverwhelmed.blogspot.com/2022/11/some-like-it-corny.html

SouthernCakes
#691SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/22 at 6:47pm

GiantsInTheSky2 said: "Yes, Casey Nicholaw, who has been nominated and won awards for both directing and choreography, doesn’t know how to build a number. That’s a good one."

So he’s not capable  of ever faltering? Got it. 

PipingHotPiccolo
#692SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/22 at 6:56pm

I 100% agree that anyone- and certainly Nicholaw- is capable of faltering (and the tap numbers were overkill in this show, agreed) but the original comment that he "doesnt know how to build a number" is a patently ridiculous one.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#693SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/22 at 7:44pm

poisonivy2 said: "BuddyStarr said: "I don't understand all the hate and negativity on this board for this show. It seems like there are many who are just hoping that this show fails. I've seen it twice and was floored by how great it is. There seem to be a lot of people overjoyed at the thought of this show closing early. Can anyone explain the hate for this original musical with probably one of the hardest working ensembles on stage?"

I don't want this show to fail. I know that many lives depend on it. But it's just not (IMO) a good show. I wrote about why I disliked the show upthread but here it is again:

"

Stick to your day job. Being a critic is just not your thing. Terrible review as SLIH is a fun (funny) show with terrific performances.

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#694SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/22 at 7:45pm

BuddyStarr said: "I don't understand all the hate and negativity on this board for this show. It seems like there are many who are just hoping that this show fails. I've seen it twice and was floored by how great it is. There seem to be a lot of people overjoyed at the thought of this show closing early. Can anyone explain the hate for this original musical with probably one of the hardest working ensembles on stage?"

100%!

Bill Snibson Profile Photo
Bill Snibson
#695SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/22 at 7:52pm

Look, I didn't love this show. See any of my previous posts about it but I am, however, shocked that it isn't selling better. This is a show that my theater savvy parents should be eating up and for some reason it isn't even on their radar. Is that bad marketing? Maybe. I don't believe that anyone is hoping for this to fail. What I do believe is that in 2022 we have grown EXHAUSTED by the trope of guys dressing up as women for whatever reason...Also is there even one story where women dress up as men to get ahead? It's just a very antiquated old school conceit. Where "Tootsie, the musical" and "Mrs. Doubtfire, the musical" failed, I do believe that SLIH succeeded in figuring out the "man in a dress" situation and handled it very well by making it feel current but that might not even be enough.

Broadway is in a very weird spot right now.  No new shows, even with rave reviews, are doing "normal" business. Sadly, this seems to be the carry over of the pandemic. People are just being much more cautious with what they want to spend money on. I'm thrilled that most of the theaters are filled with shows but heart broken that most of these theaters are at far less than capacity on a nightly basis. 

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#696SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/22 at 8:08pm

As I posted in another thread, I’m one of those indifferent during previews - even through the Macy’s number - who read the reviews last Sunday and decided the show sounds unmissable. Leaping on TDF seats for the Wednesday matinee. I’m in a traditionally targeted demo, someone who attends 10+ NYC shows per season, and wonder if - as a dependable pool of ticket buyers - we might be slow to respond yet planning on attending. The problem: not everyone checks Telecharge sales to ascertain and prognosticate advance sales. It looks like a hit so some may feel no urgency. When the stakes for the show’s survival after January 3 could not be more dire.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

Lola Getz2 Profile Photo
Lola Getz2
#697SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/22 at 8:20pm

Bill Snibson said: “Also is there even one story where women dress up as men to get ahead?”

Well, there was a little show called Victor/Victoria, but I get your point. 

Bill Snibson Profile Photo
Bill Snibson
#698SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/22 at 8:26pm

Ooooops...oh, right V/V! 

Updated On: 12/17/22 at 08:26 PM

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#699SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/22 at 8:51pm

Robbie2 said: "poisonivy2 said: "BuddyStarr said: "I don't understand all the hate and negativity on this board for this show. It seems like there are many who are just hoping that this show fails. I've seen it twice and was floored by how great it is. There seem to be a lot of people overjoyed at the thought of this show closing early. Can anyone explain the hate for this original musical with probably one of the hardest working ensembles on stage?"

"

Stick to your day job. Being a critic is just not your thing. Terrible review as SLIH is a fun (funny) show with terrific performances.
"

So "I disagree so therefore you are wrong." Are you like 12 years old?

And I write professionally for a publication bachtrack. You can google it up.

Videos