pixeltracker

Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway- Page 3

Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway

Sean2 Profile Photo
Sean2
#50Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/27/11 at 2:04am

'The Life and Adventures of Nicholas Nickleby' in 1981, RSC on Broadway.

Ye gods, but I'm old.

egghumor Profile Photo
egghumor
#51Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/27/11 at 2:06am

babe1234, don't know how others feel, but I think seeing an out-of-town tryout of a Broadway production can certainly count as one's first.

roseaddams Profile Photo
roseaddams
#52Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/27/11 at 2:11am

Your own title asks for "the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway".

"You mean what was the best picture of the year or what did they pick as the best picture of the year?" - California Suite

egghumor Profile Photo
egghumor
#53Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/27/11 at 2:28am

Got your gotcha, roseaddams. You're right. To clarify what I was trying to say was something about not counting a regional/local production of some Broadway musical as your first. For me, that would have been a tour of CAROUSEL with John Raitt in 1960!!! oy.

Salene Profile Photo
Salene
#54Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/27/11 at 2:30am

Les Mis - March 12, 1997.

Won tickets to the 10th anniversary in a contest.

Came back two weeks later (this trip had been planned way before the other one) and also saw Annie, Chicago, Miss Saigon, Rent and the closing night of Sunset Boulevard.

Updated On: 5/27/11 at 02:30 AM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#55Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/27/11 at 5:40am

The first show I saw on "Broadway", was Sondheim on Sondheim.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#56Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/27/11 at 6:13am

On Your Toes 1983 revival -- starring Natalia Makarova, Lara Teeter, Christine Andreas, George S. Irving, and Dina Merrill. It was in previews, and it was fantastic.

That trip also included the OBC of Cats, Dreamgirls, Agnes of God, 42nd Street, Forbidden Broadway, and Torch Song Trilogy.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

chiuptown
#57Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/27/11 at 6:30am

Summer of 1970 PURLIE
that week also saw:
HAIR
LAST OF THE RED HOT LOVERS
One night we dashed between curtain calls, saw those of Applause, Coco and Company.

mee.who
#58Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/27/11 at 6:59am

Rent - Dec. 1996

broadwayjim42
#59Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/27/11 at 7:01am

Fifth of July--April 1981.

ClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
#60Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/27/11 at 7:13am

"Came back two weeks later (this trip had been planned way before the other one) and also saw Annie, Chicago, Miss Saigon, Rent and the closing night of Sunset Boulevard."

That sounds like an AMAZING trip!

raker
#61Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/27/11 at 7:21am

West Side Story, 1980. What can I say, I was young and in love with the show. But I wished I'd saved my Broadway virginity for a more worthy production.

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#62Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/27/11 at 7:34am

Either CATS or VICTOR/VICTORIA, on a junior-high field trip, somewhere in the fall of 1995. I do not remember which came first. There was also a third show on that trip, but I cannot recall what it was, so it may have been neither of those shows.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

ahhrealmonsters
#63Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/27/11 at 7:53am

The 1996 revival of The King and I.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#64Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/27/11 at 8:12am

Christmas weekend 1972. PIPPIN at the Imperial Theatre. I was 7 years old. My fascination with Bob Fosse and his work began that night.

Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway

silversurfer2
#65Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/27/11 at 8:26am

1975- A CHORUS LINE, I was 11 years old and my Mom introduced me to live theater...hooked for life!

FrontRowCenter2 Profile Photo
FrontRowCenter2
#66Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/27/11 at 8:38am

How to Succeed with Bobby Morse and Rudy Valle

bandit964 Profile Photo
bandit964
#67Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/27/11 at 8:39am

LION KING on August 8th, 2003

Chrysanthemum62001
#68Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/27/11 at 8:39am

February, 2001 - The Music Man revival with Craig Bierko.

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

fiesta1
#69Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/27/11 at 9:07am

First show I saw on Broadway: Torch Song Trilogy, March 1983 at the Little Theatre (now the Helen Hayes). I was blown away.

First Broadway tour: HAIR, Fall 1971. I had very progressive parents to take a 10-year old to see Hair.

GottaHaveAGimmick Profile Photo
GottaHaveAGimmick
#70Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/27/11 at 9:10am

City of Angels-Original Broadway Cast.

What a great show. Went to college with Kay McClelland and was knocked out by her performance. Hope it gets a revival someday.

once a month Profile Photo
once a month
#71Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/27/11 at 9:37am

First Play: The Leaf People (what a turkey)

First Musical: Pippin

Amalia Balash Profile Photo
Amalia Balash
#72Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/27/11 at 9:43am

Dreamgirls with Jennifer Holliday. Wow. Her performance was a force of nature.

Dawn Davenport Profile Photo
Dawn Davenport
#73Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/27/11 at 9:47am

My very first Broadway show:
Summer 1977---"The Basic Training of Pavlo Hummel", starring Al Pacino.

My father took me as a graduation present (it's all I wanted! I was a major Pacino fan back then.) My parents didn't have a lot of money so for them this was a splurge.

On one hand, it wasn't too cool because my highly conversative father was sitting there red-faced, having a fit at the subject matter and the constant cursing.

On the other hand, I was in absolute HEAVEN and it started my love of live Broadway shows that I've never lost. I was hooked, and as soon as I had enough money I went to see that show again, this time in the front row, with my cousin. We were so close that Al Pacino's spit landed on my cousin's leg and she swore she'd never wash those pants again Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#74Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/27/11 at 9:48am

I was lucky enough to go to one of the best high schools in the country, Regis HS in Manhattan. Instead of typical class trips, we had what were called 'X Days', where kids from all classes could sign up for various cultural trips around the city. As a freshman in 1975, my first X Day was a matinee of A Chorus Line, seeing the original cast.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

Videos