pixeltracker

Scenes You'll Never Forget- Page 3

Scenes You'll Never Forget

BroadwayGuy12 Profile Photo
BroadwayGuy12
#50Scenes You'll Never Forget
Posted: 6/19/11 at 11:53am

There are quite a few, but here are three that I find myself thinking about a lot:

Younger Brother (Bobby Steggert) hugging Coalhouse (Quentin Earl Darrington) before Coalhouse leaves the Morgan library in the RAGTIME revival.

Adam (Patrick Breen) answering Luke's phone at the end of NEXT FALL.

The aforementioned grocery throwing scene from THE NORMAL HEART.

ETA: Forgot to mention the amazing confrontation scene between Viola Davis as Rose and Denzel Washington as Troy in FENCES when Troy's infidelity becomes a reality for Rose.
Updated On: 6/30/11 at 11:53 AM

aliceidinabernadette Profile Photo
aliceidinabernadette
#51Scenes You'll Never Forget
Posted: 6/19/11 at 11:55am

I agree with all the mentioned ones from Next to Normal and A Little Night Music. This thread makes me wish I could have seen so many of these productions.

My addition: The final scene in the revival of Arcadia, with Thomasina and Septimus waltzing alongside Hannah and Gus, and when Thomasina leaves and Septimus warns her about the candle we know is going to bring about her death.

Give me a bottle of bourbon and half a chicken and I'll conquer the world!

Q
#52Scenes You'll Never Forget
Posted: 6/19/11 at 12:18pm

"Walking into the lobby after 'I Am My Own Wife.'"
I saw this at a matinee, and this moment stopped me dead in my tracks. I was transfixed, and honestly a little dizzy, and they ended up having to ask me to finally leave the lobby - and I have no idea how long I stood there staring.

A couple I recall:

Mozart's death in the original NYC staging of AMADEUS.
Max's final monologue of BENT through to final curtain.
Merrick's death in THE ELEPHANT MAN.
Emily at home in Act III of OUR TOWN.
The epiphany in MIRACLE WORKER.
The final scene between John and Elizabeth Proctor in THE CRUCIBLE.
Many memorable moments throughout, but essentially all of Act III in NOISES OFF.
The hat flying away in the Lincoln Center LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA.
The bus announcing Kennedy's assassination in CAROLINE, OR CHANGE.
Hugh Jackman singing "Once Before I Go" in BOY FROM OZ.
Langella's performance of 'the moment' in FROST/NIXON.
Eartha Kitt doing the 'recipe' in TIMBUKTU!.
Paul's monologue from A CHORUS LINE (I know, I know,) as well as the line formation moment Namo mentioned.

And while I agree with Namo about the final image of SEARCH FOR SIGNS, that entire presentation was one big 'goosebump' for me.

fingerlakessinger Profile Photo
fingerlakessinger
#53Scenes You'll Never Forget
Posted: 6/19/11 at 12:25pm

Wahhh reading this read really depresses me! I have not seen alot (hell...98%) of the things mentioned here. Living in upstate NY SUCKS!

"Life in theater is give and take...but you need to be ready to give more then you take..."

Q
#54Scenes You'll Never Forget
Posted: 6/19/11 at 12:45pm

Finger - while some of mine reference specific NYC productions, many are from other places (or simply because of the scripts themselves, which I've seen numerous productions of in many locales.) Theater can reach you anywhere. I've only been fortunate enough to spend two relatively short periods of time seeing NYC stuff (separated by 20 years, at that.) But I've been moved and elevated by theater my whole life Scenes You'll Never Forget

fingerlakessinger Profile Photo
fingerlakessinger
#55Scenes You'll Never Forget
Posted: 6/19/11 at 1:28pm

Oh I know but I am talking about like theater legends doing the parts

"Life in theater is give and take...but you need to be ready to give more then you take..."

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#56Scenes You'll Never Forget
Posted: 6/19/11 at 1:44pm

What happened in the lobby of I Am My Own Wife?

noradesmond Profile Photo
noradesmond
#57Scenes You'll Never Forget
Posted: 6/19/11 at 2:31pm

Agree with Carol Channing at the top of the staircase in HELLO, DOLLY. . . .

and the Overture and opening scene of the Lincoln Center SOUTH PACIFIC - chemistry indeed!

Wish I could have experienced some of the others mentioned like Lansbury singing "I Don't Want To Know" other than the OBC, but even that is mesmerizing. But I can add her "Rose's Turn"

Joanna Gleason in INTO THE WOODS. No particular scene - her entire performance.

The final scene of the original production of SWEENEY TODD.

The opening scene of the original production of RAGTIME.

Victoria Clark's "The Beauty is (Reprise)" from THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA.

And, shoot me, "Defying Gravity" on tour with Donna Vivino as Elphaba.

Gypsy9 Profile Photo
Gypsy9
#58Scenes You'll Never Forget
Posted: 6/19/11 at 2:33pm

The final scene in the Circle in the Square production of DEATH OF A SALESMAN starring the great George C. Scott decades ago. There was not a dry eye in the House. Scott was said to have gotten drunk after performances due to the amount of emotion he put into the play.

From the original Broadway production of GYPSY in 1959:
The final scene of Act One, at the railroad station, when Ethel Merman sang "Everything's Coming Up Roses". The set consisted of the station house with the railroad tracks disappearing into infinity. The Daily News critic at the time was John Chapman and he was so impressed with the Jo Mielziner designed set that he purchased the original drawing of that set. Mielziner was a genius who designed the sets and lighting for countless Broadway productions. I recommend his fascinating biography with illustrations of all of his shows.

The dressing room scene between Rose and Herbie, when Herbie walks out. Jack Klugman and Ethel Merman did some fine acting in this scene and throughout the musical. Merman was not just a belter (and Arthur Laurents be damned!)

"Madam Rose...and her daughter...Gypsy!"

max2paradise
#59Scenes You'll Never Forget
Posted: 6/19/11 at 3:02pm

Jane Krakowski coming down from the sky half naked, wrapped in a towel in the revival of "Nine". Riveting.

Christine Ebersole's hands gripping at her fur coat during "Another Winter in a Summer Town" in Grey Gardens. A perfect performance.

Malcolm Gets kissing Will Chase's neck in "The Story of My Life". A powerful show more people should have gotten to see.

MyLife
#60Scenes You'll Never Forget
Posted: 6/19/11 at 3:07pm

The entirety of Act 2 of THE NORMAL HEART.
My mind wanders somewhere there before I go to sleep every night. It haunts me in the best way possible.

No other play has had that effect on me.

Second, when Dan breaks the music box in NEXT TO NORMAL and a weeping silence overcomes the audience.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#61Scenes You'll Never Forget
Posted: 6/19/11 at 4:09pm

A few--

Mary Louise Wilson calling to Christine Ebersole after "Another Winter", trying to open a food can, and shouting in despair, "I can't open the goddamn can!"

When LuPone flicked her nipples at the audience during her final "Rose's Turn" and proceeded to get a seventeen minute long standing ovation.

Ellen Barkin's second-act monologue in the recent 'The Normal Heart', and that production's final scene. That's what the theater is all about for me.

'The Scottsboro Boys' at the Vineyard Theater-- The opening number, starting when the minstrel company marched down the aisles of the theater. It was lovely at the Lyceum, but nowhere near as brilliant and surprising as it was at the Vineyard.

Jenna Russel uttering, "Goodbye, Momma" at the end of her "Children in Art" in the recent revival of 'Sunday in the Park with George.'

I have a lot of favorite moments from Marin and Jason's 'Next to Normal.' I don't know if I could pick a favorite.

sdsm2006 Profile Photo
sdsm2006
#62Scenes You'll Never Forget
Posted: 6/19/11 at 9:24pm

Some from this current season...

Jerusalem ->
-Rooster making himself a drink
-The entire section with Rooster and Phaedra (his monologue, the goldfish, the dance) through him re-emerging from the trailer. I cried both times during that part and still can't listen to the song without tearing up.
-The last 10-15 minutes of the play

La Bete ->
-Valere's monologue and Elomiere's (David Hyde Pierce) facial expressions

The Normal Heart ->
-Ned and Felix's argument when he hurls the food at the wall
-Dr. Brookner's monologue
-The scene in the crisis center with Bruce's monologue about Albert

Angels in America ->
-Basically any scene with Louis and Joe
-Louis and Belize in the diner
-The Kaddish

There's probably quite a few more but oddly enough, I have forgotten them...

"All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players: They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts..." ~Jaques - "As You Like It" Act 2, scene 7
Updated On: 6/19/11 at 09:24 PM

KirbyCat
#63Scenes You'll Never Forget
Posted: 6/19/11 at 9:32pm

Definitely Paul's monologue from "A Chorus Line."
I get choked up EVERY time.

theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#64Scenes You'll Never Forget
Posted: 6/20/11 at 11:16am

I too am curious about what happened in the lobby of I Am My Own Wife...

For me, the ends of Act II and Act III of August: Osage County. Holy hell.

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.

Q
#65Scenes You'll Never Forget
Posted: 6/20/11 at 11:35am

About I AM MY OWN WIFE (while trying not to spoil the substance of it!) -

Part of the presentation was the central character relating the story of a seminal moment from his childhood. During the second act, they hung an enlarged picture of the actual person that depicted the moment described in the play. After spending the evening being enthralled by this character (due in NO small part to the performance of Jefferson mays,) walking out and seeing that picture - which was a stunning photograph in-and-of-itself - was a bit emotionally over-whelming, at least for me. It brought all the construct that had taken place in my mind and made it real and immediate.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#66Scenes You'll Never Forget
Posted: 6/20/11 at 11:36am

More!
* Pretty much all of Kathryn Evans' scenes in the London Sunset Blvd revival
* As for funny: "Run, Freedom, Run," the first time I saw Urinetown (on tour in SF)
* The very different staging of Moritz's death in the Melbourne production of Spring Awakening

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#67Scenes You'll Never Forget
Posted: 6/20/11 at 11:51am

Final scene in Galati's "Grapes of Wrath".
Final moments in "W;t".
Act I finale in the original "Sunday in the Park With George".

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#68Scenes You'll Never Forget
Posted: 6/20/11 at 12:51pm

This is now one of my fav threads ever.
Mine:

The electrocution scene during 'The Writer and the Writer's Brother' story in THE PILLOWMAN- the whole audience near fell out of their seats... and the story itself was just so disturbing and magnificent

The moment Toby is released from the straight jacket, given his violin and begins to sing in the SWEENEY TODD revival

Stew confronting his younger self and his own youthful mistakes at the end of PASSING STRANGE- one of those bone chilling self-perception moments that could only happen in a unique theatrical situation

The forced baptisim of Shylock in the MERCHANT OF VENICE revival in the park last summmer- so haunting and a magnificent addition to the show.

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck

Q
#69Scenes You'll Never Forget
Posted: 6/20/11 at 2:33pm

Ian McKellen transforming into James Whale while he unfolded and assembled Whale's own portable easel in his one-man show A KNIGHT OUT.

maila Profile Photo
maila
#70Scenes You'll Never Forget
Posted: 6/20/11 at 2:58pm

the cinematic staging of the nightmare (helicopter scene) in miss saigon

clara's hat blown by the wind and caught by fabrizio in light in the piazza

the angel descends from the ceiling of prior's room at the end of millenium approaches, angels in america.

donna murphy as fosca in her first scene where she explains why she reads books in passion

raul esparza singing "being alive" in company

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#71Scenes You'll Never Forget
Posted: 6/20/11 at 3:54pm

Also..When the Zapruder film is shown on the Balladeer's/Oswald's white tee shirt near the end of "Assassins"

Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 6/20/11 at 03:54 PM

theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#72Scenes You'll Never Forget
Posted: 6/20/11 at 10:21pm

Thanks, Q. That's a good enough description. I figured it was something like that but just curious to get an idea.

Also: Bernadette Peters' Send in the Clowns, Patti LuPone's Rose's Turn, and for whatever reason, Mark Rylance talking to the lighter in Jerusalem.

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.

sbflyfan Profile Photo
sbflyfan
#73Scenes You'll Never Forget
Posted: 6/21/11 at 8:34am

Kathy Griffin telling us all to "Suck it!" during "Kathy Griffin Wants A Tony."

"I'm seeing the LuPone in Key West later this week. I'm hoping for great vocals and some sort of insane breakdown..." - BenjaminNicholas2

LegallyBroadway2
#74Scenes You'll Never Forget
Posted: 6/21/11 at 8:39am

NY Debut.

Videos