ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#50THE KING & I Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 10:04pm

Brantley

ceisen
#51THE KING & I Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 10:07pm

Brantley's review is a love letter to Kelli! What an exciting night for great musical theatre!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#52THE KING & I Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 10:08pm

It's definitely a great review! Cannot wait to revisit this production in May. 

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#53THE KING & I Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 10:14pm

With these reviews, Bart might give Sam Gold a run for his money.  And Ruthie Ann Miles is really getting some good praise.  She's got a great shot too.

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#54THE KING & I Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 10:15pm

Kelli just got herself a great birthday present, raves all around. Really hoping this is her year for the Tony, even though it should've been last year.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#55THE KING & I Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 10:19pm

Jesse Green for Vulture is a rave:

"In a season littered with plays and musicals that purport to tell true stories but don’t, The King and I is (as the King often says) a puzzlement. It is a fiction so well-crafted and so profoundly emotional that it pulverizes arguments against appropriation and becomes a form of history itself. Perhaps it is merely history as we would like it to be, but that is in itself an astonishing achievement. In any case, the revival that opened tonight, in a Lincoln Center Theater production directed by Bartlett Sher and starring Kelli O’Hara and Ken Watanabe, is too beautiful to miss. It is also, not incidentally, the best (and probably the last) installment of LCT’s Rodgers and Hammerstein rehabilitation project, which began with Carousel in 1994 and continued with South Pacific in 2008. It’s hard to see how the overfamiliarity that had, over the years, bred a certain amount of contempt could survive this trio of excellent revivals, and in particular the strangeness, seriousness, and loveliness of what’s onstage right now."

http://www.vulture.com/2015/04/theater-review-the-king-and-i.html

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#56THE KING & I Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 10:22pm

USA Today is positive (3.5 out of 4 stars):

"O'Hara complements and supports her co-star with a study in effortless poise, singing and acting with gorgeous subtlety. There is nothing forced or strident about this Anna; when she stands up to the King — defying his attitudes about women, and his apparent need to demean his subjects — her indignation is made more powerful by her sustained grace."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/theater/2015/04/16/the-king-and-i-broadway-review/25786885/

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#57THE KING & I Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 10:45pm

That Jesse Green review in Vulture is, as always, everything.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#58THE KING & I Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 10:47pm

How many stars did The Post give it? I can't see it on the mobile site!

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#59THE KING & I Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 10:50pm

"How many stars did The Post give it? I can't see it on the mobile site!"

3.5 out of 4

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#60THE KING & I Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 10:50pm

3.5 out of 4 stars. And it shouldn't be called a rave. She called Ken's "weak performance" a "garbled mess." 

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#61THE KING & I Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 10:52pm

I love Jesse Green.

stargazer2 Profile Photo
stargazer2
#62THE KING & I Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 10:55pm

So glad I got tickets for my July trip. Had a feeling the reviews would be stellar. 

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#63THE KING & I Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 10:55pm

Entertainment Weekly is positive (A-):

"O’Hara could bring out the romantic swoon in just about any male costar, and Anna is another triumph in her winsome recent gallery of fine portrayals. (And hearing her luscious soprano on beauties like “Hello, Young Lovers” is like finding a precious gift inside a jewel box.) Park makes for a fiery Tuptim, and Miles is a revelation as Lady Thiang. After her impressive turn as Imelda Marcos in Here Lies Love, here is another smartly judged performance; the character’s quietly breaking heart while delivering “Something Wonderful” has never been so readily apparent."

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/04/16/the-king-and-i-lincoln-center-broadway-ew-review

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#64THE KING & I Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 11:16pm

I'm thrilled to see Ruthie Ann Miles get the praise she deserves. I thought she was outstanding. I think she may be on the road to a featured actress nomination. Her portrayal was fiery and emotional. The supporting roles really shine in this production, so it's nice to see her, Park, Ricamora, Lucas, and Corpruz recognized.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#65THE KING & I Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 11:19pm

Not to take anything away from her accomplishments, but aside from his more restrained praise for her work in NICE WORK IF YOU CAN GET IT, has Ben Brantley ever not completely drooled over Kelli O'Hara? His fetishizing of blonde leading ladies is notorious.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 4/16/15 at 11:19 PM

miss pennywise Profile Photo
miss pennywise
#66THE KING & I Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 11:26pm

I'm so happy for the entire cast! This is an unforgettable production on so many levels. And I agree with everyone who says Ruthie Ann Miles is out-of-this-world brilliant!

"Be on your guard! Jerks on the loose!"

http://www.roches.com/television/ss83kod.html

"If any relationship involves a flow chart, get out of it...FAST!"

~ Best12Bars

Actriz2
#67THE KING & I Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 11:29pm

"aside from his more restrained praise for her work in NICE WORK IF YOU CAN GET IT, has Ben Brantley ever not completely drooled over Kelli O'Hara?"

Honestly, she's deserved it every time.

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#68THE KING & I Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 11:34pm

^  This.

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."

sctrojan65
#69THE KING & I Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 11:44pm

Glad to hear this is opening strong.

Such a beautiful musical, such an amazing score.

Anything less than a great production of "The King and I" would be sad.

Interesting how she's getting raves and he isn't.  And his is one of the most iconic roles in theater.  

Luckily the show is scoring well anyway.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#70THE KING & I Reviews
Posted: 4/17/15 at 12:16am

"His fetishizing of blonde leading ladies is notorious."

Tell that to Kristin Chenoweth, who may have gotten a good review this time around but got PANNED for Promises, Promises.

sctrojan65
#71THE KING & I Reviews
Posted: 4/17/15 at 12:22am

"3.5 out of 4 stars. And it shouldn't be called a rave. She called Ken's "weak performance" a "garbled mess." "

Quick question about how shows are rewarded the Tony in light of this observation.

This show seems to be getting raves, even though one of the leads (portraying perhaps one of the most iconic lead roles in a Broadway show) isn't getting great reviews.

To get the Tony for revival, would the show need to be performing on all cylinders, especially when it comes to the leads?  And if one of the two leads isn't pulling it off, would that hurt its chances?

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#72THE KING & I Reviews
Posted: 4/17/15 at 1:49am

Congrats to the talented cast and crew for getting the rave-very positive notices that I'm sure they deserve.

I'm coming to NYC this July to see it before Watanabe leaves.

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#73THE KING & I Reviews
Posted: 4/17/15 at 2:27am

Linda Winer, the highly respected chief theater critic of Newsday for over twenty five years, absolutely does not drool over leading ladies of any hair color:

O'Hara, with her silvery pinpoint vocal precision and her natural empathy, creates an Anna of fierce, caring intelligence.

And she praises Watanabe just as much, adding:

Contrary to rumored problems with his pronunciation, every word is as clear as the impact behind it.

Pretty soon they'll be calling in science and medicine to try to determine why some have trouble understanding the King and others none at all.

Annetteiago
#74THE KING & I Reviews
Posted: 4/17/15 at 4:26am

I just saw a little clip for shall we dance and I almost cried. Just so beautiful . I hope Kelli gets that Tony. It felt that Ken and Kelli were real people

Videos