Posted: 9/20/17 at 1:33pm

Deleted

Updated On: 9/20/17 at 01:33 PM

whizzer_wins Profile Photo
whizzer_wins
#51Ghost Quartet to return off-broadway this October
Posted: 9/20/17 at 1:39pm

Two questions

1) it seems the "stage door" is a lobby. if you want to door, do you wait in the lobby or out the doors? and could someone who isnt seeing the show come in to sd?

2) anyone think there's a chance of more all ages shows being added?

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#52Ghost Quartet to return off-broadway this October
Posted: 9/20/17 at 3:12pm

I was on the site right at noon but delayed myself by deciding to sign in and make sure my password was working. By the time I went to buy tickets, I was No. 370 in line. It went pretty quickly, though, and in about 10 minutes I was able to purchase. I chose general admission tickets for a Saturday night. I was afraid to buy the floor seats because I'm recovering from knee surgery and I wasn't sure if I would be comfortable. Now I'm kicking myself for not also picking up a pair of floor seats for my daughter and her bf. But I'm glad that I at least I have seats for a friend and myself. I've listened to a couple of the songs and I'm not in love with what I hear, but I'm keeping an open mind.

ebizzle
#53Ghost Quartet to return off-broadway this October
Posted: 9/20/17 at 4:36pm

If anyone is interested in a GA ticket for 10/15 (Sunday), please PM me!

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#54Ghost Quartet to return off-broadway this October
Posted: 9/20/17 at 4:47pm

whizzer_wins said: "1) it seems the "stage door" is a lobby. if you want to door, do you wait in the lobby or out the doors? and could someone who isnt seeing the show come in to sd?"

Based on my many past experiences of seeing shows at off-Broadway theatres without a real "stage door," I'd wager that, yes, just waiting around in the lobby is your best bet. I don't know how the space will be set up in terms of lobby vs. theatre, though. At the Bushwick Starr, there wasn't really a "lobby" per-se, so we just waited in the theatre space itself after the show to talk to Dave et. al. I suppose you COULD wait outside, but you run the risk having to wait a really long time for the performers to finish greeting audience members inside. Also, it's generally considered bad etiquette to stage-door a show you haven't seen. It's possible, and people do it, but it's generally considered a not-great thing to do. 

Also, maybe they will set up a kind of stage-door system since Dave, Brittain, and Gelsey will likely have more Comet fans waiting to meet them than they've ever had in the previous runs of Ghost Quartet. 

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#55Ghost Quartet to return off-broadway this October
Posted: 9/20/17 at 5:43pm

The run is completely sold out according to their official twitter...Ghost Quartet twitter

jbird5
#56Ghost Quartet to return off-broadway this October
Posted: 9/20/17 at 5:46pm

May be of interest to Cometeers:

http://fringearts.com/event/period-animate-existence-2/

Mimi Lien is one of the creators.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#57Ghost Quartet to return off-broadway this October
Posted: 9/20/17 at 6:34pm

I bet this extends or moves to a larger theater. I'm kind of surprised they're even doing it in this small a theater. I'm betting it works best in an intimate space, but still!

ameleigh
#58Ghost Quartet to return off-broadway this October
Posted: 9/20/17 at 7:55pm

Anyone looking to sell a 10/5 ticket? If so please PM me! By the time I got they the que, I could only get a ticket for one of us, instead of a pair 

Andy51 Profile Photo
Andy51
#59Ghost Quartet to return off-broadway this October
Posted: 9/21/17 at 9:42am

macnyc said: "I bet this extends or moves to a larger theater. I'm kind of surprised they're even doing it in this small a theater. I'm betting it works best in an intimate space, but still!"

It won't extend in this space, as the schedule for NYTW Next Door is very tight throughout the season, with about a week between shows there.

ameleigh
#60Ghost Quartet to return off-broadway this October
Posted: 9/21/17 at 10:35am

Maybe they can move to a bigger venue and extend. Also, they currently have no shows Monday's/Tuesday's, so there's an option to add there. Poor planning to go with such a into venue.

3GamesToLove
#61Ghost Quartet to return off-broadway this October
Posted: 9/21/17 at 12:15pm

ameleigh said: "Maybe they can move to a bigger venue and extend. Also, they currently have no shows Monday's/Tuesday's, so there's an option to add there. Poor planning to go with such a into venue."

Eh, I dunno. It's a prestigious institution that seems pretty supportive, and the show is designed to be intimate, anyway.

They also don't have Sunday shows so that would be a natural way to add.

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#62Ghost Quartet to return off-broadway this October
Posted: 9/21/17 at 12:17pm

How is this poor planning by NYTW? They sold what they wanted, they do not have an obligation to sell more tickets for fans. The show would fall flat in a larger venue. Ghost stories don't work in a proscenium arch. 

JustAnotherNewYorker
#63Ghost Quartet to return off-broadway this October
Posted: 9/21/17 at 1:56pm

Not a screw up on the sizing (this sounds like the right size venue for the material and to create the sense of urgency that Comet lost as it moved, but NYTW did screw up the ticket sales.

The night before tickets went on sale, a friend emailed me about seeing this. Not having any idea about ticket release dates, I went on the site, found some days for sale, and bought. 

Unfortunately, someone at NYTW messed up and sold the tickets early. Unbeknownst to me, they voided the tickets [they were listed as "customer return" in my revised receipt] and sent me an email in the middle of the night to try again at noon. I don't habitually check my email before work (I start EARLY), and by the time I saw the email, they were sold out. They had my phone # (they require it)--one thinks they could have called/texted.

What's doubly annoying is that they have a big notice that "all sales are final"--so had I bought the wrong date, I'd be out of luck, but since they messed up, I'm also out of luck. Not sure what the resolution should be (perhaps first dibs if they add dates?) but they way it was handled was sub-optimal.

Updated On: 9/21/17 at 01:56 PM

ameleigh
#64Ghost Quartet to return off-broadway this October
Posted: 9/21/17 at 6:56pm

JustAnotherNewYorker said: "Not a screw up on the sizing (this sounds like the right size venue for the material and to create the sense of urgency that Comet lost as it moved, butNYTW did screw up the ticket sales.

The night before tickets went on sale, a friend emailed me about seeing this. Not having any idea about ticket release dates, I went on the site, found some days for sale, and bought.

Unfortunately, someone at NYTW messed up and sold the tickets early. Unbeknownstto me, they voided the tickets [they were listed as "customer return" in my revised receipt] and sent me an email in the middle of the night to try again at noon. I don't habitually check my email before work (I startEARLY), and by the time I saw the email, they were sold out. They had my phone # (they require it)--one thinks they could have called/texted.

What's doubly annoying is that they have a big notice that"all sales are final"--so had I bought the wrong date, I'd be out of luck, but since they messed up, I'm also out of luck. Not sure what the resolution should be (perhaps first dibs if they add dates?) but they way it was handled was sub-optimal.
"

I'm not talking a Broadway theater, but they could have gone a little bigger than 65 seats. 

I also had the exact same thing happen with my tickets being sold the night before and cancelled out. I went online before noon the next day and was ready, and their website crashed. The whole experience was an absolute nightmare.

BroadwayBaby4
#65Ghost Quartet to return off-broadway this October
Posted: 10/4/17 at 3:38pm

Did anyone else get an email about a time change? Had tickets for Saturday at 8:30 and now it's moved to 9:30. Wasn't sure if this was just the one date or for others as well. 

3GamesToLove
#66Ghost Quartet to return off-broadway this October
Posted: 10/4/17 at 4:04pm

Weird. The NYTW site now has a 9:30 curtain time for the first Thursday, Friday, Saturday but still 8:30 for the rest of them.

RexInLights
#67Ghost Quartet to return off-broadway this October
Posted: 10/4/17 at 4:06pm

Yeah, I just got an email that says the performance for tomorrow (10/5) has been moved to 9:30pm. Interesting.

Kicks8567
#68Ghost Quartet to return off-broadway this October
Posted: 10/4/17 at 5:15pm

I have an extra pair of tickets for Sunday evening, October 22nd at 7:30PM. Friends can no longer make the show, so just looking to sell them for face value, which is $128.00 for the pair inclusive of fees. Message me if interested, and I can arrange to meet you at the theater that evening, as I will also be seeing the show.

Rainah
#69Ghost Quartet to return off-broadway this October
Posted: 10/4/17 at 5:23pm

Kicks8567 said: "I have an extra pair of tickets for Sunday evening, October 22nd at 7:30PM. Friends can no longer make the show, so just looking to sell them for face value, which is $128.00 for the pair inclusive of fees. Message me if interested, and I can arrange to meet you at the theater that evening, as I will also be seeing the show."

I PM'd you about them, I'd like to buy them. Friend and I are dying to see the show

greenifyme2
#70Ghost Quartet to return off-broadway this October
Posted: 10/4/17 at 10:13pm

Rainah said: "Kicks8567 said: "I have an extra pair of tickets for Sunday evening, October 22nd at 7:30PM. Friends can no longer make the show, so just looking to sell them for face value, which is $128.00 for the pair inclusive of fees. Message me if interested, and I can arrange to meet you at the theater that evening, as I will also be seeing the show."

I PM'd you about them, I'd like to buy them. Friend and I are dying to see the show
"

PM'd you as well in case Rainah falls through 

Rainah
#71Ghost Quartet to return off-broadway this October
Posted: 10/5/17 at 12:30am

Friend and I just moved our NYC trip forward so we can see the show. I'm ecstatic, and so is she - she's not as into broadway as I am, but the storyline is exactly the kind of thing she's into and she lit up when I told her about it 

Andy51 Profile Photo
Andy51
#72Ghost Quartet to return off-broadway this October
Posted: 10/5/17 at 10:53am

At this very moment, there are tickets available for tonight.  My experience with NYTW is that tickets to sold out shows often pop on their site the day of the show.  You just need to check with great frequency, and they go fast when they do pop up. (Of course, the probability of scoring tickets in this manner for this show is relatively low, given how few seats there are to start with).

Updated On: 10/5/17 at 10:53 AM

sm33 Profile Photo
sm33
#73Ghost Quartet to return off-broadway this October
Posted: 10/5/17 at 3:34pm

Andy51 is right, that is exactly how I got tickets to Othello at NYTW last winter. I love that they do it this way. 

Play Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#74Ghost Quartet to return off-broadway this October
Posted: 10/5/17 at 11:51pm

Went in relatively blind tonight to the first preview at NYTW (albeit having read the great enthusiasm from this board and having skimmed Brantley's review), and I am so glad that I did.  This show is absolutely thrilling and it's a rare show that makes me want to learn more about music and storytelling.  Combining Folk, Appalachian, Jazz, Country, Gaelic, and Soul, this elegiac song-cycle is both mind-blowingly clever and easily among the most original pieces of theater I've seen in a long time. 

I was a big fan of Comet early on, but what made me gravitate to that show initially was the stagecraft first, music second. That fraction is turned on its head with Ghost Quartet....for all the talk about who might be the next Sondheim, Dave Malloy, in my eyes, is ahead of the pack. 

Videos