pixeltracker

Company Reviews (and beyond)- Page 3

Company Reviews (and beyond)

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#50Company reviews
Posted: 12/9/21 at 10:37pm

Company reviews

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#51Company reviews
Posted: 12/9/21 at 10:39pm

Company reviews

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

normadesmond2
#52Company reviews
Posted: 12/9/21 at 10:49pm

All in all the worst set of reviews for a Broadway musical leading lady since........Jill Haworth in "Cabaret"?  (Just as others here like Lenk, I still maintain that Jill did not deserve what she got.)   Lenk either got singled out or became a buried lede.

clifford bradshaw
Updated On: 12/10/21 at 10:49 PM

ElephantLoveMedley
#53Company reviews
Posted: 12/9/21 at 11:03pm

Here's a great look at how much of a contrarian Jesse Green is...

So far, 17 thumbs-ups and only one thumbs-down (Green's). 

https://didtheylikeit.com/shows/company-2/

7thbighero
#54Company reviews
Posted: 12/9/21 at 11:05pm

“Even more flummoxing is the scene in which, as originally written, Joanne, tired of Bobby’s passivity, and perhaps her own, suggests they have an affair. Short of turning Joanne into a lesbian, which might have been more interesting, Elliott has little choice but to turn her into a pimp, goading Bobbie to “make it” with her husband, Larry. ”

Say what you will about Green but someone had to say it….

Georgeanddot2 Profile Photo
Georgeanddot2
#55Company reviews
Posted: 12/9/21 at 11:18pm

7thbighero said: "“Even more flummoxing is the scene in which, as originally written, Joanne, tired of Bobby’s passivity, and perhaps her own, suggests they have an affair. Short of turning Joanne into a lesbian, which might have been more interesting, Elliott has little choice but to turn her into a pimp, goading Bobbie to “make it” with her husband, Larry. ”

"

Yeah except that's not really what happens.

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#56Company reviews
Posted: 12/9/21 at 11:18pm

How have the houses been?

BCfitasafiddle
#57Company reviews
Posted: 12/9/21 at 11:24pm

SmoothLover said: "How have the houses been?"

Packed from what I hear. Sales look good.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#58Company reviews
Posted: 12/10/21 at 12:07am

Lenk is a wonderful actress, she's just wrong from this. It's 2021. Find me an actress who can SING the part and act it. If it were a play, I'd say sure, she is an interesting choice, but I'd love to see an understudy go on and see how it really works with a singer. Kind of shocked she got passed through so many rounds and that Elliot didn't see it was an issue. The fact that most of her big solo numbers are on an empty stage is also interesting. You'd think Elliot might have realized and added in some set pieces or some clever stage craft to make up for it, but no. Interesting. 

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#59Company reviews
Posted: 12/10/21 at 12:21am

Green is a jerk. Too bad Brantley is gone, as he raved over this production in London. 

JasonC3
#60Company reviews
Posted: 12/10/21 at 12:45am

Isn't the empty stage for Bobbie's solo numbers a clear design choice to contrast her state of mind with all of the other Alice in Wonderland machinations?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#61Company reviews
Posted: 12/10/21 at 12:50am

Am I the only one who doesn’t think the Facebook video sounds live? It sounds identical to the NY Times virtual performance they did of the number during lockdown. 

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#62Company reviews
Posted: 12/10/21 at 1:12am

Theatermania is very Positive 

“Of course, it's Lenk's show, and given her stature, probably even more LuPone's. They get the two songs the audience wants to hear — "Ladies Who Lunch" and "Being Alive" — and they more than deliver. LuPone, in particular, is giving one of her best overall performances in many years, finding devastating nuances in Joanne that I don't even think she knew existed when she did the role previously. Her "Ladies" earns deafening applause just for existing (I clapped like a trained seal and I'd do it again), but the layers she reveals prove why she's a legend.

Lenk's vocals admittedly leave something to be desired — she doesn't have the belt you want — but the specificity of her choices is what makes her Bobbie special. She expertly charts the evolution of a woman who is happier to go down a rabbit hole than confront reality, choices exemplified in Bunny Christie's imaginative and dangerous maze of a set and Liam Steele's wonderful dream ballet of body doubles where Bobbie imagines her life as a mother. "Being Alive" becomes less about wanting to get married and more about confronting your own mortality. And it's stunning.”

https://www.theatermania.com/broadway/reviews/review-a-rousing-company-shows-that-sondheim_93106.html

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#63Company reviews
Posted: 12/10/21 at 1:56am

I'd like to propose a punch, to Jesse Green's face. Everybody Rise and Jesse Green sit your nasty ass down with this crap review.  The show is phenomanel (and yes I understand the criticisims of Ms. Lenk) but moving forward Jesse Green wiull and should be forever taunted by his review.  

A Director
#64Company reviews
Posted: 12/10/21 at 2:30am

Jesse Green has a problem with women directors and playwrights. His review stinks of male chauvinism.

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#65Company reviews
Posted: 12/10/21 at 2:38am

Georgeanddot2 said: "7thbighero said: "“Even more flummoxing is the scene in which, as originally written, Joanne, tired of Bobby’s passivity, and perhaps her own, suggests they have an affair. Short of turning Joanne into a lesbian, which might have been more interesting, Elliott has little choice but to turn her into a pimp, goading Bobbie to “make it” with her husband, Larry. ”

"

"

Exactly. I thought the scene made more scene in this version than it ever has.

MemorableUserName
#66Company reviews
Posted: 12/10/21 at 3:17am

For those decrying Green's "chauvinism" and wanting a woman's take, Helen Shaw at Vulture is positive on Sondheim and the source material, less so on Lenk and Elliott's directing choices.

"But trapped between the show and Elliott’s decisions — many of which rob the production of its sensuality and menace — [Lenk] seems to lose contact with the material. Something unkind has happened, too, in the musical transpositions. “Being Alive,” for instance, asks its singer to put full power behind the tricky vowel sound in “alive.” Lenk has trouble with it, hitting her highest emotional peak while singing her least comfortable musical note. It’s weirdly sour, in the one moment that Sondheim wanted the sound to be sweet."

https://www.vulture.com/2021/12/theater-review-company-katrina-lenk-patti-lupone-nyc.html

Let the name calling commence!

Updated On: 12/10/21 at 03:17 AM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#67Company reviews
Posted: 12/10/21 at 3:59am

That Jesse Green review is such a shock. Wow! Company reviews

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#68Company reviews
Posted: 12/10/21 at 4:47am

BJR said: "Georgeanddot2 said: "7thbighero said: "“Even more flummoxing is the scene in which, as originally written, Joanne, tired of Bobby’s passivity, and perhaps her own, suggests they have an affair. Short of turning Joanne into a lesbian, which might have been more interesting, Elliott has little choice but to turn her into a pimp, goading Bobbie to “make it” with her husband, Larry. ”

"

"

Exactly. I thought the scene made more scene in this version than it ever has.
"

Yes, while it's true that Bobbie proposing to Jamie doesn't work, you really feel that Joanne is projecting her deepest insecurities here

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#69Company reviews
Posted: 12/10/21 at 6:19am

Is Green ok? Seriously, I could barely understand a word of his review. An odd word salad. Oh well.

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#70Company reviews
Posted: 12/10/21 at 7:17am

I can’t decide if Green hated this because he probably played Bobbie in some regional production and is too attached to the original form, or if it has something to do with his apprenticeship with Hal Prince? From an old interview he did upon being hired by the NYT:

“I’m highly critical of my own writing. Ben Brantley’s and David Rooney’s writing, just to pick two of them, is crystal clear. I wish I were that clear. Instead I’m big and emotional. But I’m happy with that tradeoff.”

Clearly. 

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#71Company reviews
Posted: 12/10/21 at 8:19am

I feel Green called this one on the nose in most cases, and he explains his reasoning also. There are many problems with the gender-switching and the tone of the original show. And you can't really argue with the fact that Lenk's singing is just not a good match for this show. I am surprised that they didn't notice this from the start. And there are plenty of Actress/Singers out there who could have acted and sung this role as written. 

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#72Company reviews
Posted: 12/10/21 at 8:27am

I agree with CurtainPullDowner. Certainly Helen Shaw's thoughtful review in many ways backs up the Green take, though with a different prism. Mainly, I find it intriguing that after so many discussions over the last two years about the ways the updating and gender switching don't work for everyone, there's a gasp that the NY Times dare have an issue with it. Company's issues date to its original book, which was a sitcom in 1970 (yes, I recognized that at age 19 when I saw it on B'way). Subsequent revivals have always put Furth's work in the spotlight, even if Mr. Sondheim defended him. It shouldn't be a big shock that reversing the genders would only add another level of scrutiny to the Furth scenes. Go back and read reviews of other revivals, including Doyle's "timeless" one. The show has gnarly issues in its DNA, and they cannot be ignored simply because the score is a beloved masterwork. Agree or disagree with Green, he's hardly the first person to raise these issues. (And I find his take on Bobbi's marriage proposal in the Andy scene consistent with friends' responses, who find it bizarre and insulting.) And needless to say, he is hardly the only critic to have trouble with the casting of the leading role, which unavoidably puts another magnifying glass on the revisal. 

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 12/10/21 at 08:27 AM

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#73Company reviews
Posted: 12/10/21 at 8:38am

Since the NY Times review is being vilified as an outlier, note: Ms. Shaw offers a take that's not that far from Green's.

"But what does the sex-swap mean? Gender does not fold down the middle like a Rorschach blot. There are asynchronies and asymmetries, and the team tries to recut the show to fit. Occasionally, the combination of updating — people have cell phones — and gender-switching turns dialogue into nonsense. In a scene in which Bobbie visits the buttoned-up couple David (Christopher Fitzgerald) and Jenny (Nikki Renée Daniels), we’re meant to believe that the women find it hilarious that David gets high and curses. In 2021? These are “kiss my ass”– level swears. Fitzgerald is the funniest thing on legs, but even he can’t sell us that.

And why does this Bobbie slip away from commitment even at the advanced age (dry chuckle) of 35? (It feels a missed opportunity to not simply have Bobbie be gay. It might make her isolation much more perceptible, stuck as she is with too many straight-couple friends, feeling the pressure of the sudden availability of state-sanctioned queer matrimony.) A male Bobby does not really have a biological clock; his pressure is more psychological than obstetrical. Since no one mentions kids in Sondheim’s lyrics or Furth’s book scenes, Elliott has to add a non-speaking nightmare sequence, showing Bobbie’s tug-of-war between the attractions and repulsions of having a baby. It’s clearly not much on her mind, though, since the rest of the two and a half hours of the show focuses on Bobbie’s shallowness (she isn’t with the airline guy for his conversation) and her not-that-fun alcohol situation (she brings bourbon to a friend who’s on the wagon, which is a crummy move). After my first hour with her, I stopped thinking the show knew what was going on with this version of Bobbie either. And when she reaches the important realization in the script, Elliott gets it backwards. In the male version of the script, Bobby’s breakthrough comes when he, almost accidentally, admits he wants to be a giver as well as a taker. “But who will I take care of?” he asks, after a lifetime of dodging responsibility. Elliott swaps this, so Bobbie asks “But who will take care of me?” I hate to put so much pressure on a single line, but this gesture betrays the thinness of Elliott’s thinking. Bobbie has actually been dependent throughout, leaning on married friends for love, letting the world take her weight. Now, now we’re meant to think she’s finally ready to … be more dependent?"

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#74Company reviews
Posted: 12/10/21 at 8:58am

I agree Green’s review reads as if he’s too attached to the original production though I have to wonder if he actually saw it. I also have to wonder if he truly believes a revival of the original Company would actually run today. Whatever the case, I don’t have that attachment. I thought the production was phenomenal. Patti is of course a knock out and the supporting cast mines the book scenes for every laugh and bit of nuance they can find. The gender swap worked very well for me and I didn’t find Lenk cold as others have noted. I found her very charming. I didn’t have an issue with her singing either. My only complaint has nothing to do with her or indeed Rosalie as heard on the album. The problem for me is simply the keys chosen for Bobbie. I would have preferred keys that allowed the women to belt the higher notes instead of going up into head voice which I believe is what both actresses did. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong.

Videos