pixeltracker

Patti LuPone gives up equity card - Page 3

Patti LuPone gives up equity card

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#50Patti LuPone gives up equity card
Posted: 10/17/22 at 4:53pm

First, this is just another in a long line of manifestations of her attention addiction syndrome. 

Second, she could have learned a thing or two from the tributes to a true legend, Angela Lansbury but she didn't. 

Third, is it actually possible to "give up" your Equity card? There are things you can do to "lose" your Equity card but most of those things could also land you in jail. I haven't studied the office directory at Equity to make sure I am right about this but is there a sign on some some office door that says "Returns"? 

AEA AGMA SM
#51Patti LuPone gives up equity card
Posted: 10/17/22 at 5:05pm

Yes, membership is not permanent. There are several options if people want to leave the union. There are temporary withdrawal and inactive statuses that a member can apply for, and yes, a full withdrawal as well. 

Temporary Withdrawal and Inactive status would protect the person’s name from being snatched up by another member (though in Patti’s case I doubt that Equity would approve another member using that name for quite some time no matter what status she is actually taking). The fee to be reinstated is also much lower than if someone completely leaves the union. During a temporary withdrawal that member is still not supposed to be taking non-union work, and respecting the work rules of the other 4As unions as well. 

If a person fully leaves the union and then goes and does a bunch of non-Equity work then it is possible that should they later choose to rejoin that their application for membership would be denied, or have some stipulations attached (see Barry Williams working to help organize a non-Equity company a few years after very publicly dropping his membership to do that non-Equity tour of The Sound of Music back in the early 2000s, as well as paying a decent fine). 

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#52Patti LuPone gives up equity card
Posted: 10/17/22 at 6:26pm

Patti is simply the best.

I like that she can still get the old queens on here riled up about her antics. There's a reason she's a Broadway legend: she's not a cookie-cutter Abercrombie model like every wannabe actor Carnegie and Northwestern keep churning out.

Patti is Patti and she will never be surpassed.

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir

JasonC3
#53Patti LuPone gives up equity card
Posted: 10/17/22 at 6:39pm

Well, she's trending on Twitter.

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#54Patti LuPone gives up equity card
Posted: 10/17/22 at 6:54pm

I am having a difficult time trying to understand her reasons for quitting AE.  

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#55Patti LuPone gives up equity card
Posted: 10/17/22 at 6:59pm

Angela Lansbury passed and it set off the Broadway multiverse. More strange things are gonna happen. 

Bill Snibson Profile Photo
Bill Snibson
#56Patti LuPone gives up equity card
Posted: 10/17/22 at 7:05pm

She didn't like that she was being compared to the recent Lilias scenario.  It's Patti's way of throwing a tantrum and getting attention back on herself.  She is passing the buck and putting the blame on the union.  Yes, she is a musical theatre icon but she has always been divisive.  You can be a broadway diva without all the negative stereotypes that come with the word.  We just lost one of, if not the best of, the broadway divas...Dame Angela. She was grace and class and respected the art form.  Among the living we have Bernadette and Audra to name a few, neither of which have ever been caught up in any type of ridiculous drama. Patti seems to be the type that enjoys stirring the pot and causing a commotion.  

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#57Patti LuPone gives up equity card
Posted: 10/17/22 at 7:18pm

We lose things and we choose things. And there are Ethels and there are Marys.

Well, Ethel. And Mary.

And Patti. :)

verywellthensigh
MysteriousLady
#59Patti LuPone gives up equity card
Posted: 10/17/22 at 7:55pm

Patti is a Rorschach test: people look at her and see whatever they want to see. 

yonexguy
#60Patti LuPone gives up equity card
Posted: 10/17/22 at 8:34pm

So Lupone is only a union member when she's active on Broadway? Thats a common and selfish approach to membership. I admire her performing skills but there is ALWAYS an element of grievance about her. Since forever.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#61Patti LuPone gives up equity card
Posted: 10/17/22 at 9:08pm

Good riddance! Bye evil Patti, don't come back. 

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

verywellthensigh
#62Patti LuPone gives up equity card
Posted: 10/17/22 at 9:13pm

Evil?  OK...

Bill Snibson Profile Photo
Bill Snibson
#63Patti LuPone gives up equity card
Posted: 10/17/22 at 9:21pm

muscle23ftl said: "Good riddance! Bye evil Patti, don't come back."

Agreed. Ask any member of Company that spent 2 days of cultural appropriation with her. Not good! 

ashley0139
#64Patti LuPone gives up equity card
Posted: 10/17/22 at 9:21pm

HogansHero said: "First, this is just another in a long line of manifestations of her attention addiction syndrome.

Second, she could have learned a thing or two from the tributes to a true legend, Angela Lansbury but she didn't.

Third, is it actually possible to "give up" your Equity card? There are things you can do to "lose" your Equity card but most of those things could also land you in jail. I haven't studied the office directory at Equity to make sure I am right about this but is there a sign on some some office door that says "Returns"?
"

Having personally done it, yes. I went to an Equity office, turned in some paperwork, and it was done.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

ashley0139
#65Patti LuPone gives up equity card
Posted: 10/17/22 at 9:24pm

Patti LuPone FANatic said: "I am having a difficult time trying to understand her reasons for quitting AE."

Why would you pay dues if you don't plan on working anymore? I don't know why she would stay in the union if she doesn't plan on working on Broadway again.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#66Patti LuPone gives up equity card
Posted: 10/17/22 at 9:35pm

yonexguy said: "So Lupone is only a union member when she's active on Broadway? Thats a common and selfish approach to membership. I admire her performing skills but there is ALWAYS an element of grievance about her. Since forever."

… I think it’s safe to say that Patti has more than paid her dues, literally and figuratively.

commopics
#67Patti LuPone gives up equity card
Posted: 10/17/22 at 10:20pm

I thought she said War Paint was "her last original musical," which holds true.

Miserent Profile Photo
Miserent
JasonC3
#69Patti LuPone gives up equity card
Posted: 10/18/22 at 8:49am

Patti LuPone Gives Up Gristedes Frequent Shopper Card

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#70Patti LuPone gives up equity card
Posted: 10/18/22 at 8:57am

I'm not a fan of Patti's shenanigans with audience members and tirades to Bank of America, but after reading her interview with People, I understand and support this decision. AEA really showed it a#* during the pandemic. They weren't there for the members. She has the resources and the power to speak out against them where others don't. I applaud her. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

binau Profile Photo
binau
#71Patti LuPone gives up equity card
Posted: 10/18/22 at 9:41am

I mean, on the below from the people article, there is a point where if you're probably in the top 3 Broadway stars currently alive it should mean something without coming across as a diva or anything like that. 'We're going to have to approve you'? REALLY? Equity you need Patti more than she needs you right now.

---

"They accepted my resignation and told me that if I ever wanted to rejoin, I'd have to be approved," says the three-time Tony Award winner, who most recently finished a run the revival of Stephen Sondheim's Company.

"And it's the perfect reason I withdrew from Equity. Fifty years to this year ... I've been a card-carrying member of Equity, and they don't know who I am basically," LuPone continues. "They just said, 'Fine, but if you want to rejoin, we're going to have to approve you.' "

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

SidebySidebyLogan Profile Photo
SidebySidebyLogan
#72Patti LuPone gives up equity card
Posted: 10/18/22 at 10:40am

Isn't this probably a response to rule changes regarding the removal of a union dues/fees cap? Used to be there was a cap for what the union could take from high earning members. Something like after earning $300,000 the union couldn't take any further percentages. I'm not knowledgeable enough but I've seen it mentioned a few times about this stunt

JasonC3
#73Patti LuPone gives up equity card
Posted: 10/18/22 at 10:52am

Of course she would have to be re-approved ... as would anyone else.  Unions and professional associations are governed by processes, not Patti's personal preferences otherwise individuals could assert favoritism.  No doubt it involves little more than filling out a form and having it reviewed and approved.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#74Patti LuPone gives up equity card
Posted: 10/19/22 at 6:22pm

Patti explains more in this interview. 

https://youtu.be/qtA48WIVQi8

Videos