pixeltracker

Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread- Page 3

Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread

hearthemsing22
#50SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 12/14/22 at 2:24pm

ozjust4 said: "hork said: "I don't understand the excitement over Jeanna de Waal. I thought she was terrible in American Idiot and possibly even worse in the approximately 10 minutes of Diana I could stand."

Looking for the post where anyone asked.
"

Looking for the post where someone asked you 

JSquared2
#51SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 12/14/22 at 2:24pm

SouthernCakes said: "I def thought they would have gone with “names” for the smaller parts like Music Man / Hello Dolly. But maybe it’s less costly."

Jordan Fisher/Gaten Mattarazzo/Ruthie Ann Miles are just as big (or bigger) "names" than Gavin Creel and Kate Baldwin were -- and I'm sure they're also more expensive.

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#52SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 12/14/22 at 2:28pm

SouthernCakes said: "I def thought they would have gone with “names” for the smaller parts like Music Man / Hello Dolly. But maybe it’s less costly."

??

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#53SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 12/14/22 at 2:31pm

There were no “names” in DOLLY or MUSIC MAN save for their 1.5 stars. Tony winners are not selling tickets, though Rudin liked stacking his cast with Tony winners for the optics of it. This cast is also far more diverse  

Gaten Matarazzo will sell more than the supporting cast of Music Man combined. And theatre diehards might like seeing Ruthie or Jordan. But that’s about it.

JSquared2
#54SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 12/14/22 at 2:35pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "There were no “names” in DOLLY or MUSIC MAN save for their 1.5 stars. Tony winners are not selling tickets, though Rudin liked stacking his cast with Tony winners for the optics of it. This cast is also far more diverse

Gaten Matarazzo will sell more than the supporting cast of Music Man combined. And theatre diehards might like seeing Ruthie or Jordan. But that’s about it.
"

Jordan Fisher has 4.4M IG followers, won on Dancing With the Stars and has a large Disney Channel fanbase --- he's a "name" outside of theatre diehards.

Dolly80
#55SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 12/14/22 at 3:04pm

I love how everyone’s reacting like Julia Robert’s is playing the Beggar woman. Ruthie Ann Miles and these other announced cast members aint gonna sell this show out 🤣

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#56SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 12/14/22 at 3:36pm

aliceripleyofficial said: "This casting overall, excluding Ruthie Ann Miles, seems to lack any edge."

There was a chance for some edge, very early on, but Thomas Kail won the race instead of me. I had a brilliant idea, if a little too charged for the current Broadway atmosphere (but then what isn't)...

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

hork Profile Photo
hork
#57SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 12/14/22 at 3:36pm

ozjust4 said: "hork said: "I don't understand the excitement over Jeanna de Waal. I thought she was terrible in American Idiot and possibly even worse in the approximately 10 minutes of Diana I could stand."

Looking for the post where anyone asked.
"

Nobody ever asks anyone anything. We all just offer up our opinions unsolicited. That’s how conversations work. 

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#58SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 12/14/22 at 5:52pm

ACL2006 said: "I wonder ifNicholas Christopher will end up as the Sweeney alternate if they opt to add in an 8th show each week?"

I sure hope so. Not really a fan of Fisher but Christopher's casting makes up for that for me.  It will be interesting to hear him sing Pirelli. I would pay to hear him sing the phone book. Plus he is a very nice person to boot.

Just give the world Love.

Ensemble1665759202
#59SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 12/14/22 at 6:42pm

FANtomFollies said: "How do people here feel about Jordan Fisher? My only opinion is based on him in Rent Live, which probably isn't a fair representation of him (I hope)."

I didn't love his performance in Dear Evan Hansen, but he has a great voice and I hope he nails this role. Looking forward to seeing him on stage again and seeing if I'm more impressed this time around!

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#60SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 12/14/22 at 7:29pm

Got tickets for the second preview. Will also be interesting to see Matarazzo as Tobias. I really didn't see that coming.

PipingHotPiccolo
#61SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 12/14/22 at 8:09pm

So this cast is fly, cant wait, and fine, take my money, Ill have to come see Nicholas Christopher when Groban inevitably tests positive for something. Hard to imagine how listening/watching this stacked crew would not be incredibly enjoyable.

Voter Profile Photo
Voter
#62SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 12/14/22 at 8:41pm

nativenewyorker2 said: "Hopefully Jordan’s attendance in proves from DEH and he doesn’t get sanctioned by equity agin for smoking outside in costume"

Happens to the best of us in the leading role of a multi-million dollar musical?

There are like 3 other people called Voter on here, FYI. Deleted comment count: 12

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#63SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 12/15/22 at 11:17am

hork said: "I don't understand the excitement over Jeanna de Waal. I thought she was terrible in American Idiot and possibly even worse in the approximately 10 minutes of Diana I could stand."

Way better than Ashford's "Look at me, I'm funny" routine.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#64SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 12/15/22 at 11:22am

aliceripleyofficial said: "This casting overall, excluding Ruthie Ann Miles, seems to lack any edge."

…how is Ruthie Ann Miles edgy in any way? 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

aliceripleyofficial Profile Photo
aliceripleyofficial
#65SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 12/15/22 at 1:52pm

Kad said: "aliceripleyofficial said: "This casting overall, excluding Ruthie Ann Miles, seems to lack any edge."

"

She's a daring and fearless actress, that's how

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#66SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 12/15/22 at 2:21pm

aliceripleyofficial said: "Kad said: "aliceripleyofficial said: "This casting overall, excluding Ruthie Ann Miles, seems to lack any edge."

"

"

And Annaleigh isn't?!

SouthernCakes
#67SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 12/15/22 at 2:30pm

She does the same thing in every role she plays. Not sure I’d call her “daring.”

Also, sure the supporting cast has accolades, but I guarantee my parents wouldn’t know who these people are. Except a maybe “oh that’s that kid from stranger things.” 

Pashacar
#68SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 12/15/22 at 3:17pm

SouthernCakes said: "She does the same thing in every role she plays. Not sure I’d call her “daring.”"

Nobody asked me either, but IMO that applies to so much of this cast. Gaten seems like a nice guy but is completely one-note and doesn't have much of a voice. Jordan Fisher, too, just has that one falsely sincere pretty-boy mode – enough of a fit for Antony, but not at all exciting. I already have tickets but found this drop extremely underwhelming.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#69SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 12/15/22 at 4:40pm

uncageg said: "aliceripleyofficial said: "Kad said: "aliceripleyofficial said: "This casting overall, excluding Ruthie Ann Miles, seems to lack any edge."

"

"

And Annaleigh isn't?!

"

No, she's awful. She expects you to laugh before she does anything.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

SouthernCakes
#70SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 12/15/22 at 4:57pm

Bland. I’m more curious about Kail’s direction. He hasn’t really done a musical on this scale. Hamilton started off Broadway. His work at the public has been small scale. And that musical he did with Joshua Henry had like zero scenery. Curious if he goes big here or just minimal. 

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#71SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 12/15/22 at 5:14pm

SouthernCakes said: "Bland. I’m more curious about Kail’s direction. He hasn’t really done a musical on this scale. Hamilton started off Broadway. His work at the public has been small scale. And that musical he did with Joshua Henry had like zero scenery. Curious if he goes big here or just minimal."

I actually don't remember a full scale production of this show beside the original. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#72SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 12/15/22 at 5:15pm

I so hope they go HUGE with this show. The theater is very large so anything minimalistic will just look cheap. They're charging a small fortune for tickets so they need to go all out.

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#73SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 12/15/22 at 5:48pm

While we're busy salivating over this casting in one thread and castigating a source of Broadway gossip in another, I'd just like to remind everyone that said source reliably reported on several of these pieces of casting months in advance, which everyone seems to forget in their rush to judgment.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

SouthernCakes
#74SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 12/15/22 at 5:50pm

blaxx said: "SouthernCakes said: "Bland. I’m more curious about Kail’s direction. He hasn’t really done a musical on this scale. Hamilton started off Broadway. His work at the public has been small scale. And that musical he did with Joshua Henry had like zero scenery. Curious if he goes big here or just minimal."

I actually don't remember a full scale production of this show beside the original.
"

That’s valid! I’m just saying Kail’s track record doesn’t give much indication of what we might get. Love the artwork though. I’d just wish we had gotten a Timber’s lush revival. 

Videos