pixeltracker

SWEENEY TODD (2023) Broadway Revival Cast Recording Thread- Page 3

SWEENEY TODD (2023) Broadway Revival Cast Recording Thread

east side story Profile Photo
east side story
#50SWEENEY TODD (2023) Broadway Revival Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 6/16/23 at 9:24am

Tsao5 said: "That. Orchestra. That. ORCHESTRA!!!!!! Just WOW!"

My thoughts exactly!  I wish I was able to hear this magic in the theatre, but that sound design (Tony win or not) was not great where I was seated in the orchestra.

Rentaholic2
#51SWEENEY TODD (2023) Broadway Revival Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 6/16/23 at 9:34am

StefanieBway said: "I completely agree - at this point I'm over it, I don't want any more singles released... I want them to wait for the whole thing. Instead of building anticipation it's creating frustration and making me less excited for the full album. Maybe it's just me, but I am CRAVING listening to it all the way through, and all the skipping around of single tracks... just save them. Release them together, they'll hold more weight."

Couldn't agree more - I'm not listening to anymore until they're all out.  The slow rollout is robbing me of the joy of listening to the entire album all the way through and hearing it all for the first time.  Also seems like it completely dampens any sort of marketing boost you get when you release a cast album. 

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#52SWEENEY TODD (2023) Broadway Revival Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 6/23/23 at 12:11am

Doesn't look like there's a new single this week. SWEENEY TODD (2023) Broadway Revival Cast Recording Thread

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#53SWEENEY TODD (2023) Broadway Revival Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 6/26/23 at 1:00am

Still no release date?

Rentaholic2
#54SWEENEY TODD (2023) Broadway Revival Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 6/26/23 at 10:02am

g.d.e.l.g.i. said: "Maybe that's all still being worked on, and that's why the holdup. Alex Lacamoire just posted on social media about the album in a way that makes it sound like the process isn't over -- he said he was having a great time making (present tense) the album, which is pretty specifically not a "wait till you see what we've made for you" kind of thing."

But then just wait until it's ready, and release the whole thing (maybe with one track released early to whet the appetite).  The trickle has completely killed any excitement around its release.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#55SWEENEY TODD (2023) Broadway Revival Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 6/26/23 at 12:20pm

Absolutely. Dropping an occasional song here and there is not the move.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#56SWEENEY TODD (2023) Broadway Revival Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 6/26/23 at 12:25pm

Well I for one think it IS a move if it means getting access to tracks much earlier than we would otherwise. I have been loving listening to the released tracks - if people want to wait for the full album you're welcome to wait. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#57SWEENEY TODD (2023) Broadway Revival Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 6/26/23 at 12:45pm

binau said: "Well I for one think it IS a move if it means getting access to tracks much earlier than we would otherwise. I have been loving listening to the released tracks - if people want to wait for the full album you're welcome to wait."

I agree entirely. I think it's especially welcome to folks who haven't had the chance to see the show and are excited to hear these performers and the incredible, full-size orchestra. I work very late nights and it has been a joy every Friday at 12:01am to hear what they released. This was also clearly tied to Tony voting as well, getting key moments out that feature their three acting nominees. It is perfectly easy to ignore the drops on streaming apps and wait for the release – this choice has in no way slowed down the process of getting the full recording out. And please, like Groban fans, Sondheim fans, and theatre fans won't buy the album when it does come out because they *gasp* released five tracks ahead of time...

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#58SWEENEY TODD (2023) Broadway Revival Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 6/27/23 at 1:59am

Bless his little heart and golden voice, Groban's Epiphany sounds like he's playing Sweeney Todd with the D'Oyly Carte Opera Company

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#59SWEENEY TODD (2023) Broadway Revival Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 7/7/23 at 12:09am

Gaten Matarazzo (Tobias Ragg) and Ashford performing “Not While I’m Around”:

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 7/7/23 at 12:09 AM

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#60SWEENEY TODD (2023) Broadway Revival Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 7/7/23 at 6:24am

YES! This and Epiphany are my favorites! Gaten’s rendition of this nearly destroyed me emotionally!

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince
Updated On: 7/7/23 at 06:24 AM

thirtythirtyninety Profile Photo
thirtythirtyninety
#61SWEENEY TODD (2023) Broadway Revival Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 7/28/23 at 11:03am

No update on this in almost 3 weeks? What gives???

broadwayboy222 Profile Photo
broadwayboy222
#62SWEENEY TODD (2023) Broadway Revival Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 7/28/23 at 11:09am

A September 8th release is rumored. So still quite a bit to go unfortunately. However, hopefully, if true, the announcement will come within the next month. 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#63SWEENEY TODD (2023) Broadway Revival Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 7/28/23 at 12:11pm

Weird and clunky roll out. Boo.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#64SWEENEY TODD (2023) Broadway Revival Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 7/28/23 at 12:59pm

So weird that they went full steam ahead and then seemed to have just left it on the shelves for all of eternity. What???? The idea that we will almost be watching the new Sondheim musical before this is released seems like madness. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#65SWEENEY TODD (2023) Broadway Revival Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 7/30/23 at 12:03am

For what it’s worth, Fred Lassen shot down the September 8 rumor when I tried to get a date for the full release. 

Also, apropos of nothing, Kristen Blodgette is joining the music team for this revival. She has started rehearsing at the Lunt-Fontanne and she starts next Friday.

Oh look, a bibu!

Scarlet Leigh Profile Photo
Scarlet Leigh
#66SWEENEY TODD (2023) Broadway Revival Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 7/30/23 at 12:26am

So a Worst Pies single drop is coming sometime soon. The show's official tiktok accidentally dropped a "out now" video with footage in the recording booth with a clip of the song the other day. I caught it before they quickly removed it but it sounded great and the text under the post was about the song being out now on streaming services. So that should be coming sometime soon

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#67SWEENEY TODD (2023) Broadway Revival Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 8/3/23 at 11:40pm

Track drops shortly!

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#68SWEENEY TODD (2023) Broadway Revival Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 8/4/23 at 12:00am

Ashford performing "The Worst Pies in London":

Oh look, a bibu!

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#69SWEENEY TODD (2023) Broadway Revival Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 8/4/23 at 7:53am

Just give us the full album. Personally, I hate these individual song drops. 

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#70SWEENEY TODD (2023) Broadway Revival Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 8/4/23 at 8:07am

Jordan Catalano said: "Just give us the full album. Personally, I hate these individual song drops."

SAME. It really just sucks the excitement right out of things. This whole rollout has been clunky and annoying.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

mshalo18
#71SWEENEY TODD (2023) Broadway Revival Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 8/4/23 at 11:20am

As good as all the released tracks are, I've just about lost interest in this album. 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#72SWEENEY TODD (2023) Broadway Revival Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 8/4/23 at 11:25am

I’m so happy they released Worst Pies. Tbh most of my favourite tracks are out now so i can survive on this sampler/EP for a while now if I need to. 

Rentaholic2
#73SWEENEY TODD (2023) Broadway Revival Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 8/4/23 at 12:39pm

mshalo18 said: "As good as all the released tracks are, I've just about lost interest in this album."

Me too.  I would have been so excited about it had it dropped at once.

And this latest track isn't a homerun for me.  I'm sure I'm late to the game in making this observation (haven't see the show), but something is weird/off with her accent. 

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#74SWEENEY TODD (2023) Broadway Revival Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 8/4/23 at 4:22pm

The cast recording will finally be released digitally on Sept 8! Announced by Josh on the show’s Instagram. 

Videos