pixeltracker

Who could replace Josh Groban?- Page 3

Who could replace Josh Groban?

rattleNwoolypenguin
#50Who could replace Josh Groban?
Posted: 9/19/23 at 8:38pm

I actually don’t see how Hugh Jackman Sweeney would be bad- at all.

I didn’t want to see him in Music Man but I would watch him do Sweeney. 

Jarethan
#51Who could replace Josh Groban?
Posted: 9/19/23 at 11:48pm

ivy3 said: "Christian Borle has been very vocal about wanting to do Sweeney Todd.

This was just last week -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu7aruopqyk
"

And he has clearly proven that he does not sell tickets, per the SLIH grosses from the beginning.  Won't happen on Broadway.

ivy3
#52Who could replace Josh Groban?
Posted: 9/20/23 at 8:10am

I'm not going to argue who sells tickets or not but I don't get why some of you are acting like "must have wide name recognition, must sell tickets" is a requirement to be hired. I'm not limiting this to Borle. Same has been said for multiple other people mentioned on this thread.

The reality is there are a lot of people on Broadway that are unknown to wider audiences /wouldn't be a draw to buy tickets but yet get hired for Broadway lead roles. We have also seen examples of people with wide name recognition and still being unable to sell enough tickets. Also I don't think it is correct to tie the ticket sales to solely performers. A show could be real bad and no performer could save it. Or a show could be so amazing that no matter who you cast it will do well in ticket sales. 

Updated On: 9/20/23 at 08:10 AM

JasonC3
#53Who could replace Josh Groban?
Posted: 9/20/23 at 9:32am

ivy3 said: "I'm not going to argue who sells tickets or not but I don't get why some of you are acting like "must have wide name recognition, must sell tickets" is a requirement to be hired. I'm not limiting this to Borle. Same has been said for multiple other people mentioned on this thread.

The reality is there are a lot of people on Broadway that are unknown to wider audiences /wouldn't be a draw to buy tickets but yet get hired for Broadway lead roles. We have also seen examples of people with wide name recognition and still being unable to sell enough tickets. Also I don't think it is correct to tie the ticket sales to solely performers. A show could be real bad and no performer could save it. Or a show could be so amazing that no matter who you cast it will do well in ticket sales.
"

Yes and it is also true that a lot of shows with stars, especially ones that performed well at the box office, close without recasting.  It also true that it is less common for someone without star power/box office draw to follow someone like Groban in a leading role when the original casting is thought by many to be disproportionately responsible for the show ever opening and for its significant financial success.

Miserent Profile Photo
Miserent
#54Who could replace Josh Groban?
Posted: 9/20/23 at 10:30am

If only we could get Patti and Mandy.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#55Who could replace Josh Groban?
Posted: 9/20/23 at 10:56am

Based on her performance in The Cottage, I think Laura Bell Bundy would fit really well as Lovett in this production.

MiserablyWicked1
#56Who could replace Josh Groban?
Posted: 9/20/23 at 4:43pm

If Analeigh Ashford had won the Tony (which in my opinion she should have) I could see this continuing but think it is probably tough sledding to try to carry this show through the winter and think it will close.

Feel good it didn't win any Tony's as it has kept the prices fairly reasonable. Really enjoyed it.

Producer2 Profile Photo
Producer2
#57Who could replace Josh Groban?
Posted: 9/20/23 at 5:14pm

Bernadette and Mandy!!!!!!!

PipingHotPiccolo
#58Who could replace Josh Groban?
Posted: 9/20/23 at 6:47pm

ivy3 said: "I don't get why some of you are acting like "must have wide name recognition, must sell tickets" is a requirement to be hired."

I dont think anyone is suggesting that, as its so obviously not true. Lots of productions bank on the show itself being the selling point, and hire non-famous theater actors. 

But this revival of Sweeney Todd did not. Its an incredibly expensive show in an incredibly large theater, and it was up on TDF for Groban's vacation days. It seems clear the producers are not interested in trying to sell out the Lunt for a Nicholas Christopher led show (even though I'm guessing hes the better Sweeney). That business decision (a sound one) is what people are discussing here.

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#59Who could replace Josh Groban?
Posted: 9/20/23 at 7:02pm

How come Sondheim himself is a big enough name to have three musicals running in New York at the same time, but not big enough to sell tickets?

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

JasonC3
#60Who could replace Josh Groban?
Posted: 9/20/23 at 7:09pm

Many reasons, including that NYC has been in a bit of a Sondheim renaissance the past few years, producers have been willing to take the financial risk on his shows during this time period, two of the three have some heavy hitters as stars, and the remaining production is unique because it is his last show.  I'm sure people here who are industry insiders can add more information.

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#61Who could replace Josh Groban?
Posted: 9/20/23 at 7:30pm

That does make sense, I guess. Maybe also that people subconsciously feel there will be plenty more chances to see Sweeney over the years. Not so much the other two.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#62Who could replace Josh Groban?
Posted: 9/20/23 at 7:33pm

rattleNwoolypenguin said: "I actually don’t see how Hugh Jackman Sweeney would be bad- at all.

I didn’t want to see him in Music Man but I would watch him do Sweeney.
"

He's dealing with personal stuff and will immediately go back to filming with Ryan when this strike ends. 

Updated On: 10/19/23 at 07:33 PM

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#63Who could replace Josh Groban?
Posted: 9/21/23 at 11:43am

Jay Lerner-Z said: "How come Sondheim himself is a big enough name to have three musicals running in New York at the same time, but not big enough to sell tickets?"

For two days it'll be four musicals in NYC, counting the concert performances of The Frogs in November!

DBAK
#64Who could replace Josh Groban?
Posted: 9/30/23 at 11:22am

I don't think I'll make it in NYC in time to see a replacement cast if there is one, but I think they should promote Nicholas Christopher to Sweeney full time and offer Ruthie Ann Miles the role of Lovett. I think Ruthie would do wonders. Hoping the 2025 tour cast is exciting because I'll def try to catch that. 

JasonC3
#65Who could replace Josh Groban?
Posted: 9/30/23 at 11:29am

After seeing Lea Salonga's as Lovett this week in London, I'd love to see her cast alongside any Sweeney who could keep the show running post-Groban.

DBAK
#66Who could replace Josh Groban?
Posted: 9/30/23 at 11:36am

JasonC3 said: "After seeing Lea Salonga's as Lovett this week in London, I'd love to see her cast alongside any Sweeney who could keep the show running post-Groban."

She would be amazing! 

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#67Who could replace Josh Groban?
Posted: 9/30/23 at 11:38am

Deux Moi posted something the other day about producers trying to get a female rapper for a very limited time as Lovett. The only one I can think of who’s expressed interest in Broadway is Lizzo, but maybe I’m wrong. It’s Deux Moi, so take it with a few grains of salt.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#68Who could replace Josh Groban?
Posted: 9/30/23 at 1:46pm

JasonC3 said: "After seeing Lea Salonga's as Lovett this week in London, I'd love to see her cast alongside any Sweeney who could keep the show running post-Groban."

It would be a great idea, but with terrible timing as she would likely be directly competing against her own show (Here Lies Love - if it lasts until January) which she has proven that she can drum up sales for,

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#69Who could replace Josh Groban?
Posted: 9/30/23 at 1:52pm

TaffyDavenport said: "Based on her performance in The Cottage,I think Laura Bell Bundy would fit really well as Lovett in this production."

That would also solidify a Legally-Blonde-to-Sweeney pipeline :)

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#70Who could replace Josh Groban?
Posted: 9/30/23 at 8:18pm

I suspected the female rapper was Awkwafina, who seems to thrive in the “sweaty frazzled mess” mode more than Lizzo.

Peppa222
#71Who could replace Josh Groban?
Posted: 9/30/23 at 9:01pm

I thought of Awkwafina but I'm not sure she could handle the score nor do I think her casting would move tickets. I saw a lot of suggestions on social media that it may be Queen Latifah (rapper/has voiced characters in all the Ice Age movies). It's not the first role that I'd imagine her in but it would definitely pique my interest!

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#72Who could replace Josh Groban?
Posted: 9/30/23 at 10:17pm

My boy Bryan the BA is saying a California based rapper is going to be replacing Annaleigh, so if that holds true they decided to stay open past their original closing. I have no clue who that could be, though. 

Leisie93
#73Who could replace Josh Groban?
Posted: 9/30/23 at 10:55pm

Could Ramin Karimloo do it? Or is he booked to do Chess? Or is his voice type too high?

Leisie93
#74Who could replace Josh Groban?
Posted: 9/30/23 at 10:56pm

After seeing him as Javert, I’m throwing his name out there: Will Swenson?

Videos