News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Revivals yet to be

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#50re: Revivals yet to be
Posted: 1/31/06 at 10:49am

I'm still hoping for the BAJOUR revival with Heather Graham that Reidel predicted.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

MargoChanning
#51re: Revivals yet to be
Posted: 1/31/06 at 10:58am

APPLAUSE is arguably the worst show ever to win a Tony for Best Musical. It's pretty awful mainly because they couldn't secure the rights to the classic Joe Manciewicz screenplay and had to rely on the original short story it was based on. Thus no Birdie or Addison DeWitt (who were Manciewicz creations) and half of the brilliant witty dialogue was replaced with bland melodramatic drivel. The score is also very undistinguished. It only worked as a vehicle for Bacall and only won because it was a fairly weak year for musicals (though PURLIE was much better and should have won). I don't think it belongs on a Broadway stage again, but if some major star diva wants to do it, it may come back. My vote: Dame Edna!

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

#52re: Revivals yet to be
Posted: 1/31/06 at 11:25am

I may be in the minority on these musicals (since I don't see them mentioned on the boards very often), but I'm a huge Lerner & Loewe fan and I've always longed to see Broadway productions of My Fair Lady, Camelot and Gigi. I heard there was a revival of My Fair Lady on Broadway in the early 90s. Anyone see that production? How was it?

ProducersFan
#53re: Revivals yet to be
Posted: 1/31/06 at 1:04pm

Could Lost in Yonkers ever be a possibility? It closed 13 years ago, I'm sure that's not long enough of a break. But it's my favorite Neil Simon and I'd love to see it on stage someday.

That, and Laughter on the 23rd Floor.

Okay, I'm done now. re: Revivals yet to be I can't get enough Neil, what can I say...

"If you start from a place of joy and charm, you can get away with a lot in the second act. It may be that that's my life. I'm not sure." ~Roger Bart

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#54re: Revivals yet to be
Posted: 1/31/06 at 1:21pm

Foanatic: I believe Harriet Harris is Vera in the upcoming MAME, that alone is a reason to get on the train to Washington.

I believe Jerry Mitchell could do something with BIRDIE.
I also really like CARNIVAL.

and there is some talk of Cheno repeating APPLE TREE in a full version.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#55re: Revivals yet to be
Posted: 1/31/06 at 1:34pm

Bring Back Birdie, Dear World, Mack & Mabel, The Grand Tour

Composer9 Profile Photo
Composer9
#56re: Revivals yet to be
Posted: 1/31/06 at 1:40pm

I second the vote for Mack and Mabel.

The key to the mystery of a great artist is that for reasons unknown, he will give away his energies and his life just to make sure that one note follows another... and leaves us with the feeling that something is right in the world. ~Leonard Bernstein~

RYANWOODS Profile Photo
RYANWOODS
#57re: Revivals yet to be
Posted: 1/31/06 at 1:48pm

Third Mack & Mabel.

I think Jerry Mitchell will do WSS next year. Trevor Nunn is still looking into doing A Little Night Music.

The Ritz...do it...risky but i think it could be pulled off.

Company needs to be recognised more - its a great score and a great story - i think a revival needs to be taken place and get some stars in to get the public to see this wonderful piece

HAIR is going to Off-Broadway soon, the Londons Gate House Theatre revival is being taken to OFf-Broadway (and hopefully then On) very soon - so watch out!

What about - On The Town? You Can Buy It Wholesale? No, No, Nanette??

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#58re: Revivals yet to be
Posted: 1/31/06 at 1:56pm

"You can Buy It Wholesale"
Sorry that cracked me up.
The actual title is I CAN GET IT FOR YOU WHOLESALE
and it has some pleasant tunes and it had a young Babs, but it isn't a very good show.

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#59re: Revivals yet to be
Posted: 1/31/06 at 4:53pm

How about:
Cats

just kidding

Grand Hotel

Um as for SJB as Fanny, that recording of Don't Rain... is terrible. My vote will still be with Ana Gastyer yeah she maybe old but she can pull it off.

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#60re: Revivals yet to be
Posted: 1/31/06 at 4:54pm

Hello, Dolly! is LONG overdue for a revival. and Bernadette would really be sensational.

as is West Side Story. Cheyenne Jackson would be a spectacular Tony and Laura Benanti would be a great Maria.

I fourth Mack and Mabel.

It'd be nice to see Brigadoon sometime soon, and also A Little Night Music.

Finally, I would simply die if someone would revive City of Angels. It's been long enough.

OasisBroadway
#61re: Revivals yet to be
Posted: 1/31/06 at 5:00pm

Sunday in the Park with George

bryan
#62re: Revivals yet to be
Posted: 1/31/06 at 5:25pm

the me nobody knows, inner city,

MargoChanning
#63re: Revivals yet to be
Posted: 1/31/06 at 5:28pm

On The Town was just revived in 1997 with Lea Delaria, Jesse Tyler Ferguson and Jose Llana.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

My Fair Lady Profile Photo
My Fair Lady
#64re: Revivals yet to be
Posted: 1/31/06 at 5:45pm

Grand Hotel=amazing.

boxers7 Profile Photo
boxers7
#65re: Revivals yet to be
Posted: 1/31/06 at 6:29pm

As much as I would LIVE for a full scale revival of THE APPLE TREE, I think the reality is, an open-ended run wouldn't be feesable.

Its a shame that INTO THE WOODS was done so poorly in its latest revival. Its a great show that deserves new and innovative staging. Can anyone else see Stephanie J. Block as The Witch?

"I don't wanna see that!" -Aunt Sassy (as played by Valerie Cherish) on Room & Bored

Link Larkin Wanabe Profile Photo
Link Larkin Wanabe
#66re: Revivals yet to be
Posted: 1/31/06 at 6:43pm

I would love to see a revival of Promises, Promises. I think they could ride Barefoot's coatails and market it in that very 60's retro-ish way.

Akiva

fossemoves
#67re: Revivals yet to be
Posted: 1/31/06 at 6:47pm

A Brigadoon would be nice. I had the opportunity to direct it last year and reimagined it with a more mystic celtic ideal rather then making it a day at epcot. What needs to happen though is a major revival that can work with Lerner and Lowe's estate to update the music and text.

Some small changes would be great. Think of the "Celtic Women" sound with some of the music...it would be a 'new' show. I hope to one day "REALLY" get to work on it.

jimmirae Profile Photo
jimmirae
#68re: Revivals yet to be
Posted: 1/31/06 at 6:53pm

Margo - You said it... Dame Edna in "Applause"!!! That would be the BEST COMEDY of the season!!! That would work, and it would be a HOOT!!!

"It is bad enough that people are dying of AIDS, but no one should die of ignorance." - Elizabeth Taylor

FoscasBohemianDream
#69re: Revivals yet to be
Posted: 1/31/06 at 8:02pm

Passion deserves an Off-Broadway revival. Of course this show is Broadway material but when I did the show last year we did it in a black box theatre, very limited number of seats, the orchestra was on stage, so the audience was very close to the audience. This way I think the show would run for a while because people would get the intimacy and intensity of the show.

According to dad, the London version of Sunday In The Park With George is so good that it is very likely to transfer to Broadway, so I think if they get two killer stars (Raul Esparza, Michael Cerveris, Patrick Wilson, Jane Krakowski, Mary Stuart Masterson, etc) the show will succeed.

I honestly would like a revival of Angels in America, Kiss of the Spider Woman, Mame, and The Rink. If someone could figure out how to make Mack and Mabel work, then they should definitely do it.

children&art Profile Photo
children&art
#70re: Revivals yet to be
Posted: 2/1/06 at 2:03pm

Born Yesterday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't f*ck with me fellas. This ain't my first time at the rodeo.

Follies Profile Photo
Follies
#71re: Revivals yet to be
Posted: 2/1/06 at 2:12pm

The following shows are SCREAMING for a revival (at least in my head)

The Mystery of Edwin Drood
Sunday in the Park With George (which will be on Broadway by late 2007)
West Side Story
Coco
Anyone Can Whistle
Chess (I hate this show but its cult following has made it a valid choice for a revival)
Dreamgirls
Mame

TheBalladeer Profile Photo
TheBalladeer
#72re: Revivals yet to be
Posted: 2/1/06 at 2:58pm

I definitely think The Mystery of Edwin Drood and Mame are SCREAMING for a revival. While we are at it, its time for an Anything Goes and Guys and Dolls revival too...

"Someone tell the story...Someone sing the song...."

sweetestsiren Profile Photo
sweetestsiren
#73re: Revivals yet to be
Posted: 2/1/06 at 3:27pm

So here's a question: If the movie version of Dreamgirls is a hit, would that increase the chances of a Broadway revival of the show? Or hurt them? Updated On: 2/1/06 at 03:27 PM

zippyjen Profile Photo
zippyjen
#74re: Revivals yet to be
Posted: 2/1/06 at 4:06pm

wow i have to agree that dame edna would be the best choice for applause! As was mentioned earlier i would love to see Hair and if they do it, west side story. Bye bye birdie would also be great fun.

"At the opening night party, they had clowns on stilts, jugglers, a chocolate fountain, popcorn, hot dogs. [My son] looked at me like I had been holding back. Like, 'This is what you do?' I had to tell him, 'No, no, darling. Opening nights don't usually look like this.' It's usually a dark bar with a bottle of vodka." ?Chitty Chitty Bang Bang's Jan Maxwell plus i proudly share the title of the shortest member over the age of 10 with wickedrentq!

Videos