The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread- Page 30

The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#726The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 6/3/21 at 10:20pm

The full 96,000 is on Apple Music. I love the new ending of the song.

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#727The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 6/6/21 at 11:42pm

For those who don't want to wait until Thursday, Warner Bros. is releasing the first 8 minutes at midnight.

mlsheehan Profile Photo
mlsheehan
#728The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 6/7/21 at 1:00am

Really you can't even tell it's a musical!

Ha ha.  I love it.  I can't wait to watch the whole thing.

promisespromises2 Profile Photo
promisespromises2
#729The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 6/7/21 at 8:50am

Musical Master said: "This is probably one of my favorite reviews so far.

https://datebook.sfchronicle.com/movies-tv/review-jon-m-chus-in-the-heights-marks-the-return-of-grand-scale-movies
"

Should not have read that in class. Tears in my eyes. I really can’t wait for this to be my first movie in a movie theater in more than a year. 

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#730The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 6/7/21 at 10:26am

Last night, I went to an advanced screening in person after being incredibly lucky to see one of the virtual screenings awhile back and this is absolutely a movie that needs to be seen on a big screen to experience the full scope. 

The cinematography is just stunning and the big moments like 96,000 and Nina and Benny dancing on the side of the building during When The Sun Goes Down are just incredible to see on a big screen. 

The movie does such a beautiful job of capturing the spirit of the show and expanding it to the movie format. It's hands down one of the best musical to move adaptions that I've ever seen. 

As someone who the show several times during its run on Broadway, it warmed my heart to see all of the alumni listed during the credits and brought a tear to my eye seeing Doreen's in memoriam during the credits. 

I'm definitely planning to see it again in theaters this weekend and will absolutely revisit it on HBOMax as well. I know not everyone is comfortable going to a theater in person yet, but this movie needs to be seen on a big screen. 

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.
Updated On: 6/7/21 at 10:26 AM

Musical Master
#731The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 6/7/21 at 3:29pm

Judging from the first 8 minutes, it's telling me that the year long delay will be worth it. Talk about a really well done opening musical number.

paphillyguy
#732The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 6/7/21 at 4:11pm

Was invited to a early preview yesterday in Philly.  I thought the film was very good.  I still prefer the Broadway version.  I know they moved certain songs around and I thing they did a good job in placement.  I do think a few of the additions to the story were a bit much but all in all I felt they did a great job.  I am a big Lin fan as UsNavi but Anthony Ramos won me over.  He has IT and is very charming in the role.  To me Olga Merediz is a wonder and she to me IS Abuela Claudia.  I loved her in the movie and on the stage.  She brought tears to my eyes.  I am so glad she was cast in the movie.  

They tried to bring the live musical magic to the screen and I thought they did a good job.  I can't wait to see 96,000 again.  It is worth the price of admission. 

They had a STUDIO hired security guy at the theater making sure of no video taping.  He took his job very serious.  Some idiot tried to check her phone after the numerous warnings.  Guess she will have to wait to see the rest some other day. 

I did like all of the Cameo's by some of the original Broadway cast.  

I think it will be a big crowd pleaser of a movie. 

Updated On: 6/7/21 at 04:11 PM

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#733The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 6/7/21 at 4:24pm

Kinda redundant trying to stop bootlegs as the film will be available to download and stream in 72 hours in HD quality. No one is bootlegging this one. Not worth the hassle.

ArtMan
#734The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 6/7/21 at 5:16pm

When I saw it in previews on Mother's Day, I also had a very thorough and serious security guard.  At times, he was more of the distraction.

degrassifan
#735The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 6/7/21 at 5:31pm

When I went to a screening of Mary Poppins Returns, they had like 5 security guards in the room. It was so extra. Anyway, excited to finally watch this movie this weekend! I've never seen the Broadway show or listened to the cast recording. I'm going in completely an In the Heights virgin. Hopefully I'll like it, but it does look good! 

BigDisneyFan
#736The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 6/8/21 at 12:16pm

The first 8 minutes look awesome!  Having a very hard time believing that is AM NYC.  It looks like high noon.  

BigDisneyFan
#737The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 6/8/21 at 12:18pm

Not a cellphone in sight, I saw the janitor had headphones on.  Is this set in the present?  No ear buds?

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#738The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 6/8/21 at 12:20pm

BigDisneyFan said: "Not a cellphone in sight, I saw the janitor had headphones on. Is this set in the present? No ear buds?"

I didn't realize this film is a documentary.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

Rumpelstiltskin Profile Photo
Rumpelstiltskin
#739The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 6/8/21 at 10:09pm

BigDisneyFan said: "Not a cellphone in sight, I saw the janitor had headphones on. Is this set in the present? No ear buds?"

IIRC the “Yo! Ma, it’s me.  Check my tickets!” girls in 96000 are calling on their cells.

eta: Next morning I realize you’re writing about the 8 minute preview, not the whole movie.   

Updated On: 6/9/21 at 10:09 PM

teddy1996
#740The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 6/9/21 at 9:16am

getting rid of camilla really doesn’t make any sense. how are you gonna get rid of a very significant character and add a extra salon lady? it’s so pointless.

Musical Master
#741The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 6/9/21 at 10:03am

RT score went down to 96% but there's still a lot of extremely positive reviews coming in; and since Metacritic is one of my favorite websites, it's 82 out of 100 is very promising. I think Hairspray was the last musical film with a summer release to get these highly positive notices from critics.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#742The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 6/9/21 at 10:07am

teddy1996 said: "getting rid of camilla really doesn’t make any sense. how are you gonna get rid of a very significant character and add a extra salon lady? it’s so pointless. "

Of course it is.  You’re the first person who has mentioned Camila’s absence in the film.  None of us who has seen the film even noticed it.  People were bent outta shape BEFORE the film was seen.  Also, the extra salon girl Cuca is just an ensemble filler.  She doesn’t have any storyline that replaced Camila.  She’s just fun to watch, basically.  

paphillyguy
#743The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 6/9/21 at 1:37pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "teddy1996 said: "getting rid of camilla really doesn’t make any sense. how are you gonna get rid of a very significant character and add a extra salon lady? it’s so pointless. "

Of course it is. You’re the first person who has mentioned Camila’s absence in the film. None of us who has seen the film even noticed it. People were bent outta shape BEFORE the film was seen. Also, the extra salon girl Cuca is just an ensemble filler. She doesn’t have any storyline that replaced Camila. She’s just fun to watch, basically.
"

I definately noticed that during my screening.  I have to say I missed the character and her song.

PhantomMickey
#744The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 6/9/21 at 11:45pm

Watched it tonight at the Tribeca Film Fest! Still love the Broadway show, but the movie was enjoyable. I was trying to spot as many OG cameos as possible, but I'm sure I missed some. Does anyone have a list of when (and who) from the OBC popped up?

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#745The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 6/10/21 at 12:09am

teddy1996 said: "getting rid of camilla really doesn’t make any sense. how are you gonna get rid of a very significant character and add a extra salon lady? it’s so pointless. "

Camilla doesn't... Do anything in the stage version and while I would gladly take another role for an older Latin actress swapping her out for Cuca... Doesn't change anything. Camilla just has a song for pointing out the obvious and then everyone gets over it.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#746The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 6/10/21 at 12:26am

It's finally here. Official nationwide release date in theaters and on HBO Max (for 31 days only) is today. 

Thoughts below, first-time viewers. 

Edited: In the Heights is now a NYT Critic's Pick!

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/09/movies/in-the-heights-review.html

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 6/10/21 at 12:26 AM

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#747The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 6/10/21 at 2:04am

this thread is now 5 years old, wow!

saw this a few months ago in an online preview, can’t wait to see it in theatres!

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

brdway411
#748The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 6/10/21 at 5:47am

Just finished it on HBO. ITS good, lots of changes, lots of dropped songs, lots of new story lines, story lines are modified, lots of cameos from the original cast. Watch all the way to the end after the credits. Not happy they killed off Nina's mom. Also, some of the original ending was missing for me (the store grate). When the Sun Goes Down was visually STUNNING. Was also nice to see down town Cooper Square (my hood)  and Astor Place represented. 

Updated On: 6/10/21 at 05:47 AM

teddy1996
#749The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 6/10/21 at 9:10am

my biggest issue with this movie was that there wasn’t a lot of dark skinned black latinos. there were some but this movie definitely needed more of that representation. especially because washington heights is dominated with so many black latinos. if you base a story in washington heights, there is NO WAY that you don't add more color to this story. the average latino in washington heights IS Afro Latino. it would have been great if more of the main cast were brown to dark skinned afro latinos as well. it would have made the movie more groundbreaking and i felt like this was a missed opportunity.

Videos