pixeltracker

Unpopular opinions you hold- Page 33

Unpopular opinions you hold

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#800Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/28/17 at 6:16pm

Hugh Jackman always holds the EXACT WRONG syllable in a line for too long. Seriously. If there is 1 syllable in a line that can absolutely not be held for long...he picks it.

If he would sing the Star Spangled Banner and let's say, for example, the line "And the roooocket's red glare", where every person could tell the "ro" is the one supposed to be held longer. Hugh will most definitely rush "and the ro" and then decide to hold "keeeeeeeet's" for 5 seconds...(and also start the "ket" too early).

He gives me cardiac arrhythmia.

Updated On: 8/28/17 at 06:16 PM

michaelhale
#801Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/28/17 at 6:23pm

Elfuhbuh said: "As someone with social anxiety, I think Dear Evan Hansen does a terrible job at representing it, and I'm constantly annoyed with how Evan's problem in that respect just kind of magically disappears once he gets a girlfriend and grows popular at school. That's not how it works. 

"

I see a lot of people reading the show/his character arc this way but I definitely didn't? He definitely seemed just as anxious throughout the show, just things were going "better" for him during some of act 2 that made him not have to actively panic as much. I saw MLB play the role and he didn't let up on any of Evan's nervous tics for the second act, even when Evan seemed otherwise comfortable. I think it's just that Evan is comfortable around the Murphys, which he says himself iirc.

TheThreadMaster Profile Photo
TheThreadMaster
#802Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/28/17 at 6:47pm

I dont care what people say, there are plenty of shows that are a better than Hamilton.

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#803Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/29/17 at 9:45am

Elaine Stritch sounds like someones drunk Aunt who gets up and sings at a wedding. She yells more than sings. Overrated 

Darreyl with an L!

non-stop26 Profile Photo
non-stop26
#804Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/29/17 at 2:39pm

I don't know how unpopular this is but I think Saturday Night deserved better. Sure, it's not Sondheim's strongest score, but it deserved a chance. I would've loved to see what Fosse could've done with it before Sondheim shut it down. 

I would also like to add myself to those who are tired of theater kids obsessing over popular shows of the season (DEH, Hamilton, Wicked, Heathers, Be More Chill) like it came from the gods, but don't know any classics or just dismiss them. They're great shows, but I wish they'd diversify their taste.

I don't like Come From Away's score.

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#805Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/29/17 at 3:00pm

darreyl102 said: "Elaine Stritch sounds like someones drunk Aunt who gets up and sings at a wedding. She yells more than sings. Overrated "

It's called acting, honey.

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#806Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/29/17 at 3:07pm

Then she needs more range. She can't sing .

Darreyl with an L!

leighmiserables  Profile Photo
leighmiserables
#807Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/29/17 at 7:01pm

Elfuhbuh said: "As someone with social anxiety, I think Dear Evan Hansen does a terrible job at representing it, and I'm constantly annoyed with how Evan's problem in that respect just kind of magically disappears once he gets a girlfriend and grows popular at school. That's not how it works. "

Can't agree enough. The most mystifying thing is I have a number of friends who don't have mental illnesses of any sort that keep saying, "DEH is so important! It's the most accurate display of mental illness ever seen on a Broadway stage!" While I, a person who's dealt with anxiety since I was ~11, couldn't agree less. There are so many better mentally ill characters for the stage, and I don't understand how Evan Hansen was the one to stick. (It's not even the fact that he's a 'relatable teenager' – I mean, what about Natalie from Next to Normal?) 

I've always felt like DEH was a show about mental illness for non-mentally ill people.

Mediamaven2
#808Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/30/17 at 7:35am

Found Waitress wholly overrated. Don't get it. Pleasant enough to sit through for free but nothing more imho

comets
#809Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/30/17 at 8:20am

DEH was a good show but once Platt leaves the problems will become much more obvious. Michael Park and his glove song were terrible. 

CorkySt.Clair Profile Photo
CorkySt.Clair
#810Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/30/17 at 8:47am

^lol, a couple of my friends are absolutely obsessed with DEH and this is the only song they skip. 

Itonlytakesajourney Profile Photo
Itonlytakesajourney
#811Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/30/17 at 8:59am

I actually love To Break in a Glove. I think it's really sweet and a key moment for Evan and his development; I do not understand why it's so universally hated.

Tuck Everlasting was an adorable show and it deserved so much better. Amélie, on the other hand, did not.

The Music Man and Bye Bye Birdie are both classics, and very good ones at that. I understand that the latter is pretty cheesy, but they both are enjoyable in spite of their flaws. 

Updated On: 8/30/17 at 08:59 AM

The Other One
#812Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/30/17 at 9:39am

I find A Chorus Line to be terribly overrated.  A good show, just not one I'd rank anywhere near the top in my 50 years of theater going. I saw it twice.  Once with its original cast, then again in the summer of 1990.

The character's speeches all sound like Facebook status updates.  

Updated On: 8/30/17 at 09:39 AM

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#813Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/30/17 at 9:45am

The Other One said: "I find A Chorus Line to be terribly overrated. A good show, just not one I'd rank anywhere near the top inmy 50 years of theater going. I saw it twice. Once with its original cast, then again in the summer of 1990.

The character's speeches all sound like Facebook status updates.
"

Most of the dialogue from A Chorus Line is pretty dated, but the montage is probably my favorite 20 minutes in musical theater. 

irishgator1
#814Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/30/17 at 10:11am

I expected Falsettos (the revival) to knock me off my feet, but I left feeling indifferent.  Had nothing to do with the actors- they were all amazing- but for some reason the story line just didn't impact me like I thought it would. Now the fact that I saw it on Election Night might've had something to do with it...

As an aside, I also saw Great Comet for the first time the day before; they were closed on Election Night and were doing a Monday performance instead, so I saw GC on Monday and Falsettos on Tuesday, which worked out nicely as I was in the city for a short work trip.

Jarethan
#815Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/30/17 at 7:38pm

comets said: "DEH was a good show but once Platt leaves the problems will become much more obvious. Michael Park and his glove song wereterrible."

We agree on one part of your opinion.  I have already set up my playing of Evan Hansen to skip the glove song...the only one in the show for which I haver prescribed that honor.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#816Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/30/17 at 7:40pm

leighmiserables said: "I've always felt like DEH was a show about mental illness for non-mentally ill people."

THIS.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

ShowToonz
#817Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/30/17 at 7:51pm

Forgive me one and all, but I sincerely believe that Hamilton is the MOST OVERRATED musical in musical theater history. 

tomwsjr
#818Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/30/17 at 9:50pm

tomwsjr
#819Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/30/17 at 9:52pm

I was bored out of my mind throughout Groundhog Day!   

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#820Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/31/17 at 4:30pm

I don't like any of the scores for any of the new shows that opened this past season. To be fair, I haven't heard Bandstand yet.

Updated On: 8/31/17 at 04:30 PM

Soaring29 Profile Photo
Soaring29
#821Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/31/17 at 7:17pm

A part of me feels that Kelli O'Hara shouldn't have joined the cast of 13 Reasons Why-  The pros of joining it are numerous : I know that she has children, needs to provide for her family , she's trying to do more TV work, and who would say no to an offer like this,  but I watched one episode of the show and it was just horrible manipulative crap.  I think she'll be good because she almost always does great work, but for this show? It's horrible. She should be doing better projects. 

theater_tech
#822Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/31/17 at 7:19pm

Soaring29 said: "A part of me feels that Kelli O'Hara shouldn't have joined the cast of 13 Reasons Why- The pros of joining it are numerous : I know that she has children, needs to provide for her family , she's trying to do more TV work, and who would say no to an offer like this,but I watched one episode of the show and it was just horrible manipulative crap. I think she'll be good because she almost always does great work, but for this show? It's horrible. She should be doing better projects."

When I read the news, I went 'YEEEEEESS' (more Kelli) and 'NOOOOOOO' (terrible show) at the same time.

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#823Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 9/1/17 at 2:41pm

Probably more in the catagory of 'what pisses me off'' is when reading who is in such and such play/musical/concert, before/after every persons' name is the list of almost every show they've been in, PLUS Tony award nominee/winner---far too many words--like my posts.

and....PS...Have you seen the Elaine Paige pic for Dick Wittington?--UNRECOGNISABLE. She's obviously gone to the same 'cosmetician' as Shirley Bassey. A little 'freshening' of ones' aging complexion can be flattering but like tattoos---it your body, go for it.

And...yes, havn't finished, what is it with men and this unshaved/bearded stubble look? I'm tired of waking up every morning with a beard rash !

Thank you

Public User Profile Photo
Public User
#824Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 9/2/17 at 3:17am

what he said

Videos