pixeltracker

SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread- Page 35

SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#850SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/14/23 at 11:12am

inception said: "Saw a comment on Reddit this morning that they were closing off the balcony for mid-week performances this past week.

You might get better seats rushing this week.
"

Looks like they are still selling balcony on Telecharge.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

Jarethan
#851SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/14/23 at 2:56pm

Usually, that means that they will seat you in the mezzanine.

defenses
#852SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/17/23 at 11:23am

I won the lottery for last Saturday, and I was a little nervous about my seat based off the comment here. I was in the last row of the mezzanine. I asked at the box office if there was any availability closer, but he said the show was sold out! Good for them! The seat ended up being really great. I was able to see 98% of the action. The only area blocked was the top of the stairs, and they only go up there twice. I highly recommend it. It’s a bit cheesy, but the door scene at the end is AMAZING and worth it.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#853SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/18/23 at 10:20am

Christian Borle, J. Harrison Ghee, and the company performed "You Can't Have Me (If You Don't Have Him) " on Late Night with Seth Meyers last night:

Oh look, a bibu!

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#854SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/18/23 at 10:47pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "Christian Borle, J. Harrison Ghee, and the company performed "You Can't Have Me (If You Don't Have Him) " on Late Night with Seth Meyers last night:

"

I'm so underwhelmed by this song. Is this really the best song in the show?? Why do they keep showcasing it on tv shows?

Voter
#855SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/18/23 at 10:52pm

Seeing the show in February. I heard there two gunshots in this show. One after the opening number and one is right before the last song in Act 2. Are they sound effects? Or do the actors pull the trigger on stage and a blank comes out? Thank you in advance. Looking forward to this very much. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#856SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/19/23 at 1:03am

Can I say this without getting canceled?

Christian Borle is great in this show, but does not look great in this show (or its photos). A mix of his body shape paired with poor hair & costume styling makes for a funny look. I wonder if Gregg Barnes has lost his touch, as I don't think Adrianna Hicks (a radiant and beautiful person) is flatteringly costumed either.

chrishuyen
#857SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/19/23 at 1:47am

I had wondered if in the costumes where Christian Borle is dressed as a woman whether the unflattering look was intentional, kind of a meta commentary as to how him dressing up as a woman doesn't "fit" him (especially compared with J Harrison Ghee's character), and there are a few jokes made at his expense too. The hair is rather unfortunate for his head shape imo but I think it's necessary so he can quickly get in and out of the wig he wears when dressing as a woman 

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#858SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/19/23 at 2:39am

HenryTDobson said: "EDSOSLO858 said: "Christian Borle, J. Harrison Ghee, and the company performed "You Can't Have Me (If You Don't Have Him) " on Late Night with Seth Meyers last night:

"

I'm so underwhelmed by this song. Is this really the best song in the show?? Why do they keep showcasing it on tv shows?
"

Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I believe that they are purposefully hiding Christian Borle in his Josephine look to avoid man-in-a-dress accusations. But they think he's a ticket draw, so they REALLY want to feature him in the marketing. Then you combine that with there not really being so many songs that showcase both leads and you end up with a reliance on this song.

Company ran into a similar problem. They clearly felt awkward about the prospect of not including Katrina in their live performances, but also knew that so much of their strength lied with their supporting cast. So, they ended up landing in the meh middle with the song Company being the thing they always performed. Company is great, but it is nowhere the heights of the show as-written or the heights of that production. Later in the run they had Patti and Katrina do Ladies Who Lunch and Being Alive on late night shows and they released the b-roll of Ladies Who lunch and a bit of Marry Me a Little, but most of their run they just used Company.

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#859SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/19/23 at 7:45am

I adore Borle and Ghee, but there are better songs to use in promo performances that have a better chance of grabbing people’s attention. No performances with Hicks or Williams? Come on. 

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

christinelavin
#860SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/19/23 at 12:22pm

GiantsInTheSky2 said: "I adore Borle and Ghee, but there are better songs to use in promo performances that have a better chance of grabbing people’s attention. No performances with Hicks or Williams? Come on."

It's tricky to find the exact song that represents the whole show and fits within the strict parameters of a TV appearance. My favorite song changes from time to time and short of doing a medley, which would never work if the object is to engage viewers and sell tickets, it will always be a tough call for this show.

My favorite songs are "Poor Little Millionaire" and "Fly Mariposa Fly," but both are sung by "Osgood" (Kevin Del Aguila), who isn't in the first hour of the show, and would need all kinds of explanation up front. Without knowing all that Daphne has experienced, "Feather" is also not a good choice. 

"You Can't Have Me (If You Don't Have Him)" gets the plot moving, gives the backstory of the two leads, is simply fun and needs no explanation. All things considered, it's the best choice -- and the way they did it on Seth Meyers' show, changing up the choreography to give ensemble members a greater part in the song, shows that they are riffing, making adjustments to do what they can to get the word out about this show. 

And yes, Christian Borle's character "Josephine" is a bit of a hot mess,looks-wise, but I love how he embraces his inner goofy-looking woman and takes in stride being the butt of jokes.

There's so much to love about this show -- the ensemble is a collection of firecrackers who give it their all every night, as the leads find new ways to deepen their characters and turn laughs into guffaws. The dancing is out of this world. I was there last night and watched the crowd go berserk during the curtain call. 

What makes this show difficult to promote is what makes it great -- it slowly unspools before your eyes, gently drawing you in, each song taking you in a new direction. Every night it makes audiences so happy, and that's what we all need right now. 

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#861SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/19/23 at 1:03pm

While I hear (and agree with you to an extent) - almost all of Sugar’s numbers could be performed with little explanation/into, and same for most of the big group numbers that feature Sweet Sue. 

Hell, Wicked was performing Defying Gravity on Letterman like two weeks after the show opened. It’s odd (at least to me) that they think Can’t Have Me is their strongest contender. 

They also could do a medley of sorts, but just combine two numbers and provide an easy transition. 

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

DrMonicaDeMoneco Profile Photo
DrMonicaDeMoneco
#862SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/19/23 at 1:07pm

Please don’t cancel me….

what other songs can they showcase? None of the songs are memorable. 5 mins after leaving the so-so show, I couldn’t hum 1 song. The score is the shows downfall. Stop showcasing it. Maybe somehow showcase the door scene at the end of the show on some obscure morning tv show? 

JSquared2
#863SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/19/23 at 1:09pm

DrMonicaDeMoneco said: "Please don’t cancel me….

what other songs can they showcase? None of the songs are memorable. 5 mins after leaving the so-so show, I couldn’t hum 1 song. The score is the shows downfall. Stop showcasing it. Maybe somehow showcase the door scene at the end of the show on some obscure morning tv show?
"

What is your deal with this show?  We get it -- you are NOT a fan!  Move on with your life and just don't watch it or read about it.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#864SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/19/23 at 1:17pm

chrishuyen said: "I had wondered if in the costumes where Christian Borle is dressed as a woman whether the unflattering look was intentional, kind of a meta commentary as to how him dressing up as a woman doesn't "fit" him (especially compared with J Harrison Ghee's character), and there are a few jokes made at his expense too. The hair is rather unfortunate for his head shape imo but I think it's necessary so he can quickly get in and out of the wig he wears when dressing as a woman"

I meant when he is dressed as a man. I think he's supposed to look "frumpy" as a woman.

DrMonicaDeMoneco
#865SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/19/23 at 1:18pm

JSquared2 said: "DrMonicaDeMoneco said: "Please don’t cancel me….

"

What is your deal with this show? We get it -- you are NOT a fan! Move on with your life and just don't watch it or read about it.
"

Stop commenting on my comments. I am allowed to comment. Stop trying to silence me. Reporting you 

RUkiddingme
#866SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/19/23 at 1:18pm

I enjoyed the show while sitting in the theater, but I couldn't hum one song at intermission or after the final curtain.

Nothing about this score is memorable. 

When the actor/character playing Osgood is the best thing in your show - your lifeline is not gonna be long.

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#867SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/19/23 at 1:19pm

DrMonicaDeMoneco said: "JSquared2 said: "DrMonicaDeMoneco said: "Please don’t cancel me….

"

What is your deal with this show? We get it -- you are NOT a fan! Move on with your life and just don't watch it or read about it.
"

Stop commenting on my comments. I am allowed to comment. Stop trying to silence me. Reporting you
"

What is there to report? Odd.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

DrMonicaDeMoneco
#868SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/19/23 at 1:21pm

In response to RUkidding me….

Exactly! Hope you don’t get attacked like I did

Updated On: 1/19/23 at 01:21 PM

JSquared2
#869SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/19/23 at 1:23pm

DrMonicaDeMoneco said: "Exactly! Hope you don’t get attacked like I did"

I'm pretty sure the question was directed to you, dear.  Maybe you should also disclose the fact that you work for a competing show?

musikman Profile Photo
musikman
#870SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/19/23 at 2:09pm

RUkiddingme said: "I enjoyed the show while sitting in the theater, but I couldn't hum one song at intermission or after the final curtain.

Nothing about this score is memorable.

When the actor/character playing Osgood is the best thing in your show - your lifeline is not gonna be long.
"

Can we PLEASE dispel with this theory that if something is hummable and memorable it makes it good? Mary had a little lamb is hummable and memorable, but no one is singing its praises. All it means is that the composer decided to Repeat a certain line or melody a whole bunch of times so that the audience WOULD walk out humming it (see: The best of times / Jellice Cats).

I don’t think anyone came out of the Winter Garden in 1957 humming “a boy like that / I have a love” and saying “damn, that Leonard Bernstein score is terrible!”

Anyway, I think the score for SLIH is mostly fine, and tuneful, but it unfortunately all kind of blends in to one another and sounds too similar at the end of the day. It’s sort of how I felt about the show. It’s fun, entertaining, but it just gets an “it was nice” reaction from me.

-There's the muddle in the middle. There's the puddle where the poodle did the piddle."

flord10
#871SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/19/23 at 2:50pm

I tend to agree. I also try not to pass too much judgement on a score until I listen to a cast recording. There’s a lot of songs I love today, that I couldn’t have hummed/remembered the tune for when I first left the theater.

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#872SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/19/23 at 3:40pm

I caught the matinee yesterday. I found the show mostly pleasant with a repetitive score and a thin book. I wonder if those who are saying it's not hummable maybe mean that so many of the songs blend together that it's hard to recall anything specific?

The book seems... not to exist? There's such a rush to get from one song to the next that so little time is spent on characterization and relationship building. So many of the songs are, like, anecdotal: about general groups of people or people we don't know (ex. "Some like a cool, pastorale scene...", "My folks were small time grifters...," that whole "Zeep Bop" song) that they feel inconsequential the plot; so few are truly character driven. Which all amounts to a show that feels like it's relying more on our familiarity with the source material and archetypes in general than actually communicating a story. 

Speaking of familiarity, a lot of this feels familiar. Very strong Dirty Rotten Scoundrels vibes in Act II with Joe pretending to be Kip, and the whole gangster shootout/slamming doors/dance number, while expertly done, is something we've seen in shows like Sister Act and Bullets Over Broadway. Ghee is the star of the show ("You Coulda Knocked Me Over With a Feather" is a moment that really works because it's shows the character's journey and Ghee sings the hell out of it), with Williams shining through as well. I'm pretty over Art Deco inspired sets, they always end up looking cheap to me.  

That's all the say, I didn't have a bad time but I understand why it's not setting the box office on fire. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#873SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/19/23 at 3:58pm

The show does appear to be selling better now, which is odd since it's the Winter. Could people be buying tickets during the Broadway week deal more than in previous years. Or is it due to fewer options currently?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#874SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/19/23 at 10:03pm

ACL2006 said: "The show does appear to be selling better now, which is odd since it's the Winter. Could people be buying tickets during the Broadway week deal more than in previous years. Or is it due to fewer options currently?"

I think it also has helped that the weather has been very mild so far.

Videos