pixeltracker

SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread- Page 39

SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#950SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/6/23 at 9:08am

The AEA rule is an understudy can't perform a role longer that 3 weeks straight. This makes me believe Borle will be out the rest of the week.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

BCfitasafiddle
#951SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/6/23 at 12:30pm

Where has Christian been? 

christinelavin
#952SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/6/23 at 10:57pm

Casey Garvin went on as Joe/Josephine tonight and was absolutely spectacular. 

Is there a way to find out in advance if he is going on as Joe? I know nothing about him except that I have seen him in this show in various parts, and tonight he was thrillingly brilliant -- his singing voice is gorgeous, his tapdancing (and ballroom dancing) is terrific, and the audience took to him instantly.  INSTANTLY!  And he's so darn good looking. 

It's just a matter of time before he lands a starring role for keeps. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#953SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/6/23 at 11:12pm

FYI, Kayla Pecchioni will be on as Sugar both performances Saturday, and Sunday. 

There’s an audio on her Instagram page of her singing the final chorus of “Heaven Save Our Home” when she went on for the lead in Paradise Square. She’s got a wonderful voice and those that are seeing Some Like It Hot this weekend are in for a treat (ha).

Oh look, a bibu!

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#954SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/7/23 at 12:05am

christinelavin said: "Casey Garvin went on as Joe/Josephine tonight and was absolutely spectacular.

Is there a way to find out in advance if he is going on as Joe? I know nothing about him except that I have seen him in this show in various parts, and tonight he was thrillingly brilliant -- his singing voice is gorgeous, his tapdancing (and ballroom dancing) is terrific, and the audience took to him instantly. INSTANTLY! And he's so darn good looking.

It's just a matter of time before he lands a starring role for keeps.
"

Totally agree with Casey Garvin and the same for another ensemble chorus stud Max Clayton it's just a matter of time for him as well! These 2 hidden in the chorus deserve better!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

All So Ozmopolitan
#955SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/8/23 at 4:55pm

As of last night's performance, all the coverage was back to normal. (I know that changed today with Adrianna being out.) 

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#956SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/10/23 at 9:42am

It is interesting to me that Kayla P seems to be the only one sharing what dates she’s expected to be on for one of the leading parts. Casey and KJ almost never share that info - which is completely fine, just interesting observation. 

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

BCfitasafiddle
#957SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/10/23 at 11:14am

Glad to see Christian Borle has been back.

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#958SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/10/23 at 11:40am

We saw Kayla at the Easter matinee— a completely superb performance full of warmth, fun and a lovely voice. Had low expectations for SLIH but had a swell time. You must know you’re getting a thoroughly old-school, lightweight confection, but on those terms the show delivers. The creators know their thirties musicals and tap dance their way through this pastiche with great style if scant little depth. It’s the best tired-businessman’s show we’ve seen in a while. For my money NY NY is easily the greatest show of the season, but SLIH is a close second. 

GiantsInTheSky2
#959SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/10/23 at 5:14pm

Kayla really is fantastic. She has a younger, more bubbly energy to Sugar than Adrianna, who is also great but is …idk. It’s a little hard to buy her as a girl who is tardy all the time and sneaking drinks from a flask. She gives off a rather mature or “I’ve got my sh*t together” vibe, and way too smart for the tricks of Joe/sephine. Still wonderful performer nonetheless. 

Updated On: 4/10/23 at 05:14 PM

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#960SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/10/23 at 11:46pm

THE VIEW is in repeats this week, and today they repeated the show from February which featured the cast from this musical. It’s spring vacation for most public schools in the nation, not sure how many saw this episode who are traveling to NYC this week and want to see a show. It might entice them to bring the family if they saw this. 

Fordham2015
#961SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/22/23 at 8:02pm

I was at today's matinee. DeMarius Copes was on for Daphne and he was excellent. Borle and Hicks are really good too, but my favorites were Del Aguila and Williams, who feast on their supporting roles.

It's a classic Casey Nicholaw show, for better or worse. The climactic tap number was great but would have more pop if there hadn't been multiple tap numbers before it. 

The big, brassy orchestrations were terrific.

PhantomMickey
#962SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/28/23 at 3:18pm

Hi! I won lotto tickets for tomorrow night... I won lotto tixs in the beginning of April but forewent them because a lot of understudies seemed to be going on and I really wanted to see the main cast. Have there been as many absences recently? Thanks!

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#963SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/28/23 at 3:22pm

I’ve been twice in the last two weeks and full cast has been in each time. 

Jarethan
#964SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 5/9/23 at 11:05pm

I can’t imagine seeing this twice in two weeks.  This was the first show in my Spring trip.  It was just such a disappointment for me, although I did go in knowing there were lots of people on this board who did not love it.  I still expected to agree with those who praised the show.

Positives:  the production values were tops, most of the featured performances were top draw, the updating of the story was very clever.  For me, the two supporting Tony nominees stole the show, and the two leads were excellent.  Minority opinion, undoubtedly, but I don’t think it will be a crime if Ghee doesn’t win the Tony…probably hurt by the music, although his second act number was stellar.  The choreography of the chase scene in Act 2 was terrific, and the general flow was well done.

Negatives: the volume was blaring for the entire first act; was better in the second act, but still too loud (this from a person who usually gets headphones).  It was so loud in the first act that it really got it off to a bad start for me.  The score was thoroughly mediocre, although the title song was excellent and Ghee’s big second act was aLao very good.  I also felt that the role of Sugar was neither well written nor well performed.  Don’t have my playbill in front of me, but the actor playing Sugar had a good voice (got a little shrill at times), but she was just uninteresting…I didn’t care about her.  Key issues: her songs were boring and she lacked charisma.  I also thought that some of the tap dancing wasn’t appropriate to the scene (also there was too much tap for me).

Were I a British critic, I would give it ** out of *****.  I am hoping it is the low point of my trip.  Also seeing A Doll’s House, Camelot, Summer 1976, Parade, Sweeney Todd, Life of PI, Funny Girl (second time with LM).  Debating on trying to see Prima Facie (I would have to skip something), but figure worse comes to worst I can see it on National Theatre Live.  

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#965SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 5/13/23 at 7:20pm

★★★★☆

I finally saw the show today and I’ll say this. If you took a classic film, mixed with stellar choreography and a modern jazz score that will get you moving in your seat, you would get Some Like it Hot. I went into this show knowing nothing except it being based off of a classic movie. I must say, I was utterly impressed by this show. The book is not my favorite but it’s the score that made me want to dance. Speaking of dancing, WOW! I don’t think I’ve seen show stopping tap Choreography since Music Man! I don’t know how those actors can pull this off night after night! The Choreography Tony is now an absolute lock for Casey Nicolaw. Speaking of actors, this cast is stellar! Mostly full of Broadway vets who don’t have such a big profile, well except for maybe Christian Borle. Natasha Yvette Williams is a powerful actresss and I’m so happy she’s in a great show! Adriana Hicks! WOW! I never knew that woman could deliver a serious belting! MY OH MY! Definitely an upgrade from SIX. I still do not know how she did not get a Tony nod for her performance. Lastly, J Harrison Ghee! Holy crap! I could not get over how talented they are! They have come a long way from Kinky Boots and I’m so happy they’re also getting recognition for their talent! I originally thought this season would be Groban’s year to win a Tony, but not any more! This is single-handily a lock for Ghee! Overall, I thought the show was good, but the acting and the choreography EXCEED the score and book combined. Even though the Tony’s are not being broadcasted this year, I hope this show wins some awards! I hope it will do well through the summer because without the Tony broadcast, this show along with many others are at risk of closing. Go see this while you can. It is indeed a HOT show!! 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#966SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 5/15/23 at 9:40pm

Just as I was talking about the show this past weekend, the show releases a music video of probably the best showstopping number in the entire musical! God, I cannot stop listening to this number! J is so freaking talented!

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#967SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/22/23 at 5:00pm

Seeing this one tomorrow night. 

Casey Garvin is on for Joe/Josephine/Kip tonight, which he also played last night. I swear if I get to see his Joe, my excitement for the show is probably going to increase tenfold. How much more handsome can he be?! *sigh*

I've seen Borle in other shows, and I've heard he really isn't the BEST thing about this particular production, so I won't feel bad if I miss him, obvs.

Oh look, a bibu!

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#968SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/22/23 at 5:51pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "Seeing this one tomorrow night.

Casey Garvin is on for Joe/Josephine/Kip tonight, which he also played last night. I swear if I get to see his Joe, my excitement for the show is probably going to increase tenfold. How much more handsome can he be?! *sigh*

I've seen Borle in other shows, and I've heard he really isn't the BEST thing about this particular production, so I won't feel bad if I miss him, obvs.
"

It was posted about an hour ago on Broadway covers that Casey Gavin is going on tonight.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#969SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/23/23 at 7:51pm

Borle is on tonight. 

Oh look, a bibu!

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#970SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/23/23 at 8:41pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "Borle is on tonight."

Borle IS one of the best things about this production fter Ghee and they make a great pair...very entertaining, you'll have Fun! 

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#971SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/23/23 at 11:44pm

3 swings were also on tonight: Elizabeth Earley (for Tynia René Brandon), Kayla Pecchioni (for Jenny Hill), and Dan Horn (for Brian Martin).

I have warmed up to Marc and Scott’s score quite considerably in the months since the cast album released, which is a big reason why I thoroughly enjoyed myself tonight at the Shubert. I think this musical is their best collection of work since Fame Becomes Me.

Ghee, Borle, Hicks, et al give stellar performances and they don’t seem stale at all after nearly 8 months. Kevin Del Aguila is such an adorable little goofball. 

Nicholaw’s back with a bang! Well-earned choreo Tony, though to be honest, I could’ve used a little less tap. The entire “Tip Tap Trouble” sequence blew me away. 

I could not take my eye off Casey Garvin during the full ensemble moments. 

Not casting Capathia Jenkins as Sweet Sue for the national tour (if it is Equity) would be a big mistake. 

Stage door: Ghee, Hicks, Williams, Hadsell, Schworer, Campo all signed. I saw Garvin, Yoder, Earley, Matsusaka and Owens all walk out, while Pecchioni was also nice enough to sign my Playbill. ‘Twas well-packed outside tonight, as was Kimberly Akimbo next door. 

Nobody’s perfect, but this show’s pretty damn good. 

Oh look, a bibu!

tthomas76 Profile Photo
tthomas76
#972SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/24/23 at 4:35pm

Just saw that Casey Garvin is going on for both shows today Saturday, June 24th. 

With that being said, we are coming July 5th.  If Christian is out, will they let us move our tickets to a later date and refund us if the show closes?  We will be back in Jan.  I saw the show last January, but my daughter is a big Christian fan.  Thanks. FYI I’d likely go directly to the box office.  

GiantsInTheSky2
#973SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/19/23 at 9:18am

KJ Hippensteel on for Joe(sephine) today and tomorrow, Casey Garvin on Friday through Sunday. 

poto19882023 Profile Photo
poto19882023
#974SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 8/8/23 at 9:06pm

I had read or heard somewhere that there’s a rumor that this show may be closing sometime around/after Labor Day, does anyone know if there’s any truth to this?

Videos