RIP Arthur Laurents

FindingNamo
#75RIP Arthur Laurents
Posted: 5/5/11 at 11:41pm

Wouldn't he? (Well no, he wouldn't. Tee hee)

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#76RIP Arthur Laurents
Posted: 5/5/11 at 11:44pm

RIP,Mr. Laurents. I've always respected your work and your passing will come as a huge blow to the theatre community.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#77RIP Arthur Laurents
Posted: 5/5/11 at 11:56pm

^

Nice choice of words.

Donthatecongratulate Profile Photo
Donthatecongratulate
#78RIP Arthur Laurents
Posted: 5/5/11 at 11:59pm

I wonder if Patti & Laura will do a duet at his funeral?

"Don't f*** a baby. I'll get rid of your AIDS. If you f*** this frog."

FindingNamo
#79RIP Arthur Laurents
Posted: 5/6/11 at 12:23am

It will be called, "Arthur! You stood up!"

choitoy Profile Photo
choitoy
#80RIP Arthur Laurents
Posted: 5/6/11 at 12:40am

RIP Arthur.

I know that you've made a bunch of detractors over the years, but I'll miss the old curmudgeon. I had a really enjoyable time reading his latest book.

I just hope CZJ doesn't try to go and steal the "Gypsy" move back from Barbra now.

Xanadu! Can't cry on cue!

bk
#81RIP Arthur Laurents
Posted: 5/6/11 at 1:00am

"I can think of no more fitting tone than Bruce Kimmel's patented Scolding Schoolmarm (tm)."

Oh, this isn't up to your usual snotty standards. I guess I'll take Scolding Schoolmarm and you can have Smarmy Snotnose (tm).

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#82RIP Arthur Laurents
Posted: 5/6/11 at 1:32am

Barbra wanting to do GYPSY sent him over the edge.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#83RIP Arthur Laurents
Posted: 5/6/11 at 1:43am

He told her it would be over his dead body. Little did he know the power she has...

N2Theater
#84RIP Arthur Laurents
Posted: 5/6/11 at 2:15am

The book to Gypsy is one of the most perfect ever written. There is not a wasted vowel in that book. It does something that so few musicals do today which is, tell a story and make every moment count.

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#85RIP Arthur Laurents
Posted: 5/6/11 at 2:23am

Obviously he never saw South Park Or he'd have know not to cross She Who Must Be OBEYED!!! Guess "some people"s diabolic contracts have clauses that can obliterate others!
(are we sure he's dead? not just a trick to see what people will say now that he "can't" get to them?)

Oh, and aside about rights- I'm sure there is a will and all will be reveiled. Either they will stay w the estate ala Tennessee Williams and the revisions will be even more rigously enforced ORHe gave them to a theatrical or poss AIDS facility- but i wouldn't bet on it.
Evil witch that i am I would LOVE to attend that contents/estate sale!Just think of the "dir"t buried there!

amyfairycakes Profile Photo
amyfairycakes
#86RIP Arthur Laurents
Posted: 5/6/11 at 5:50am

A few years ago, I wrote to Mr. Laurents to tell him of what a huge fan and admirer I was of his work and asked him what his favourite play was. He wrote,
"Dear Amy,
My favourite play is the next one I write.
Sincerely,
Arthur Laurents"

I always liked that response. May he rest in peace.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#87RIP Arthur Laurents
Posted: 5/6/11 at 7:05am

I'm sending him a dozen long-stemmed Mama Roses.

Speaking of ... who will be around at the next revival of Gypsy (due any minute now) to trash all previous performances of Mama Rose and say, "THIS one is the best, by far?"

... or the next revival of "West Side Story" to say, "we're going to do it realistically, this time?"

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 5/6/11 at 07:05 AM

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#88RIP Arthur Laurents
Posted: 5/6/11 at 7:40am

Arthur Laurents sat directly in front of me during one of the preview performances of Gypsy 3 years ago. The Tyne Daly revival was my first exposure to his Broadway work (and that show), and I absolutely loved that production. Saw it 9 times.

And although I saw the DC run of the latest West Side Story 3 times, I was very disappointed.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#89RIP Arthur Laurents
Posted: 5/6/11 at 8:09am

I just found my signed copy of Arthur's "Original Story by" and smiled and cried a little.

It's addressed not only to me but also to my partner and it reads "May you last as long as Tom and I have. Arthur"

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#90RIP Arthur Laurents
Posted: 5/6/11 at 9:29am

That's a treasure.

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."

FranklinShepard-Inc.
#91RIP Arthur Laurents
Posted: 5/6/11 at 9:50am

RIP, Arthur.

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#92RIP Arthur Laurents
Posted: 5/6/11 at 10:35am

Anyone who laughed hysterically when Anthony Perkins died of AIDS doesn't get a RIP post from me. Some good work. Terrible excuse for a human being.

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

FindingNamo
#93RIP Arthur Laurents
Posted: 5/6/11 at 10:47am

I felt the same way, Mildred, until I read every last one of the moving tributes and fond recollections his many friends and colleagues have issued at his passing.

(Kidding! I haven't found one!)

MimiJudith Profile Photo
MimiJudith
#94RIP Arthur Laurents
Posted: 5/6/11 at 12:59pm

He laughed when Anthony Perkins died? What's the story behind that?

Mildred Plotka
#95RIP Arthur Laurents
Posted: 5/6/11 at 1:26pm

The story comes from Charles Strouse, Mimi.

In his book he talks about Nick and Nora and meeting Laurents for the first time. He shows up to his apartment and Laurents is getting off the phone, hysterically laughing. Strouse thinks it must be pretty funny and asks Laurents.

"Tony Perkins just died of AIDS" (sic) -Arthur Laurents

Mildred Plotka
#96RIP Arthur Laurents
Posted: 5/6/11 at 1:39pm

EDIT: Just grabbed the Strouse book. The line is:

"Tony Perkins has AIDS"

MimiJudith Profile Photo
MimiJudith
#97RIP Arthur Laurents
Posted: 5/6/11 at 1:53pm

Thanks, Mildred Plotka! Interesting...if that story's true, then that's absolutely awful.

MimiJudith Profile Photo
MimiJudith
#98RIP Arthur Laurents
Posted: 5/6/11 at 2:09pm

I just remembered something about Arthur Laurents. Didn't he fire Matt Cavanaugh from the most recent iteration of West Side Story when he found out he was engaged to a woman?

jimmycurry01
#99RIP Arthur Laurents
Posted: 5/6/11 at 2:27pm

I mourn the loss of an artist. He made great contributions to the art form. I do hope he has shorts, I am sure he'll need them where he is going.

Videos