News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

More security for broadway audiences?- Page 4

More security for broadway audiences?

Pootie2
#75security for audiences?
Posted: 11/13/15 at 7:43pm

SmokeyLady said: "In light of todays tragic events... I still wonder what security measures are being taken to keep us all safe when we go to a broadway theater.  

" You should change the thread title to something relevant like "theater security in general."

#BoycottTrumplikePattiMurin

VintageSnarker
#76security for audiences?
Posted: 11/13/15 at 11:36pm

If they were going to do a proper job of checking bags they would have to open up the theatres earlier. Don't some theatres (maybe Lincoln Center) make you check large bags... or was I imagining that?

FindingNamo
#77security for audiences?
Posted: 11/13/15 at 11:37pm

Oh my god.  I CAN NOT TAKE THIS.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#78security for audiences?
Posted: 11/14/15 at 12:04am

Late news on CNN reported tighter security in Times Square, at bars and restaurants (I think) and Madison Square Garden. 

Just give the world Love.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#79security for audiences?
Posted: 11/14/15 at 12:18am

Mr Roxy said: "If any are taken, hopefully they will not be trumpeted on the news so those we are trying to stop are not alerted to them and take counter measures to neutralize them."

Most of the point of security measures is to deter people from trying to do something, not to lure them in in an attempt to catch them.

UnwoundFantasies
#80security for audiences?
Posted: 11/14/15 at 1:35am

Vintage- Lincoln center does not check bags 

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#81security for audiences?
Posted: 11/14/15 at 5:59am

I thought this thread had vanished for good. Seems like the original poster was stirring the pot.

Glittergrrl Profile Photo
Glittergrrl
#82security for audiences?
Posted: 11/14/15 at 12:20pm

I never gave it much thought til last summer when I went to a concert at a small venue here (CT) and they checked my purse.  I immediately thought, they never do this in NY.  I go to the theatre much more often than I see concerts.  Sometimes I'll wake up in the summer and decide to hop on a train and go to a matinee by myself.  I wouldn't mind it one bit if people were checking bags.  I'm in the minority, but  I actually think it's a good idea.  

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#83security for audiences?
Posted: 11/14/15 at 12:27pm

Some theatres do check...but not every patron.  I usually carry a back back with me and I'd say some one peeks about a third of the time.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#84security for audiences?
Posted: 11/14/15 at 12:36pm

A lot of theaters check my backpack, but I always sail right through that check because it is empty... despite the front pocket containing two Honest Teas. Shhh.... security for audiences?

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#85security for audiences?
Posted: 11/14/15 at 12:39pm

The addition of Hamilton to the title adds to the hilarity, though. 

Glittergrrl Profile Photo
Glittergrrl
#86security for audiences?
Posted: 11/14/15 at 12:42pm

dramamama611 said: "Some theatres do check...but not every patron.  I usually carry a back back with me and I'd say some one peeks about a third of the time.

"

I must look nonthreatening.  I need to work on being more badass.  Maybe I need to cultivate my resting bitch face.

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#87security for audiences?
Posted: 11/14/15 at 12:51pm

When I saw the A Little Night Music revival, the Clintons were also in attendance and I was shocked that hardly any security measures were in place upon entering the theater. I don't even think they checked my bag in that case. I wish bag checks would happen more often not only as a security measure but to also prevent patrons from bringing in outside food to consume during the show. 

ArtMan
#88security for audiences?
Posted: 11/14/15 at 1:07pm

I usually carry a small bag with me (when I visit) that contains my camera and a few small items.  Some theaters check, many don't.  I have even asked "do you want to look in my bag?"  They don't.  I hope it wasn't because I asked.  I could be a "polite nutcase".

Updated On: 11/14/15 at 01:07 PM

BobBenson Profile Photo
BobBenson
#89security for audiences?
Posted: 11/15/15 at 3:09am

They checked by boxer briefs last time I went to a show. HEY-O!!!!!!!!

P.S.  Dey didn't even call me back. HEY-O!!!!!!!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#90security for audiences?
Posted: 11/15/15 at 3:19am

Glittergrrl said: "dramamama611 said: "Some theatres do check...but not every patron.  I usually carry a back back with me and I'd say some one peeks about a third of the time.

"

I must look nonthreatening.  I need to work on being more badass.  Maybe I need to cultivate my resting bitch face.

"

By the way.....BOTH theaters I went o on Saturday looked inside my bag.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#91security for audiences?
Posted: 11/16/15 at 12:21pm

They need to start doing more than just glancing at bags.  I know we don't want to hear it.  But this is the world we live in.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#92security for audiences?
Posted: 11/16/15 at 12:33pm

Can't they just make a specific show paranoid-accessible, add $100 to each ticket, and let the audience queue up two hours early to go through metal detectors? And the rest of us will be fine doing our normal thing at every other performance?

Updated On: 11/16/15 at 12:33 PM

Wildcard
#93security for audiences?
Posted: 11/16/15 at 12:40pm

I would feel more comfortable too if they had more stringent security measures in theaters. I wouldn't mind the inconvenience if it means a safer environment. The Broadway scene from the movie "The Siege" always comes to mind. 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#94security for audiences?
Posted: 11/16/15 at 1:13pm

Felt so bad for the people watching ragtime. So devastating.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#95security for audiences?
Posted: 11/16/15 at 2:03pm

haterobics said: "Can't they just make a specific show paranoid-accessible, add $100 to each ticket, and let the audience queue up two hours early to go through metal detectors? And the rest of us will be fine doing our normal thing at every other performance?

"

It is all fun and games ( and bitchy sarcasm) till somebody gets hurt.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#96security for audiences?
Posted: 11/16/15 at 2:20pm

I leave security matters to people with knowledge, not fear. If actors/theaters are getting threats and concerns, they will assess those threats and act on them. If you only protect yourself from the threats you can imagine, you are limited by your imagination in a way someone with darker intent is not.

To decide safety looks like that TSA clown college at airports is pure folly, as study after study has shown they are window dressing to make people THINK they are safer. Look at their record, every new security measure like everyone taking their shoes off happens AFTER someone does something to get around their system successfully.

You can't terror-proof the world, and inventing threats where they may not regularly exist isn't helpful. But if you want a broken system where you can pay more for tickets, and have to go through metal detectors to feel safer when you still aren't, that is certainly a very American response to things.

The fact that someone can do something horrible in a theater doesn't mean they can't also do it in a water park, a restaurant, a sex club, or anywhere else. And if they screen everyone going in, then how hard will it be for someone with devious intent to become an usher, a bartender, a janitor... like I said, your vision is limited by how you would act as a terrorist: "I could buy a theater ticket and walk in..." that has no relation to someone who will not be as thwarted by a metal detector, and just see that as a mere obstacle.

Which is still to say that there is no credible reason to believe this is a major issue in the first place.

Updated On: 11/16/15 at 02:20 PM

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#97security for audiences?
Posted: 11/16/15 at 2:26pm

"Which is still to say that there is no credible reason to believe this is a major issue in the first place."

I agree with you except to say that this won't be the first time a theater is targeted.  And I am just not talking the concert venue in Paris.  Lets not forget the theater hostages in Russia.   To say it is not a credible issue is silly.

Updated On: 11/16/15 at 02:26 PM

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#98security for audiences?
Posted: 11/16/15 at 2:32pm

Originally this was just about anti-semitic violence at Fiddler, tho.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#99security for audiences?
Posted: 11/16/15 at 2:32pm

SmokeyLady said: "I agree with you except to say that this won't be the first time a theater is targeted.  And I am just not talking the concert venue in Paris.  Lets not forget the theater hostages in Russia."

OK, one Russian theater in 2002 and one Eagles of Death Metal show in 2015 (which was a mere part of a larger attack), means that 264,573 people attending Broadway last week would go through metal detectors? Where is the justification for that leap?

If someone good at statistics can run these numbers, where would attending a Broadway show run when it comes to risk of fatality? Below drowning in a bathtub sober? Above jaywalking without looking?

Updated On: 11/16/15 at 02:32 PM

Videos