pixeltracker

Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!- Page 4

Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!

bwayrose7 Profile Photo
bwayrose7
#75Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/8/17 at 8:58pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "GeorgeandDot said: "The Band's Visit also has several standout supporting male performances."

I think Ari'el Stachel is the likeliest of those amazing guys to get a nomination. Followed (probably), in order, by Etai Benson and Adam Kantor.
"

I would agree wholeheartedly! I might be in the minority, but John Cariani's performance was probably my least favorite out of the supporting men in this show. Not that he wasn't good, just that everyone else was so excellent. Stachel and Benson were the real standouts for me.

Feste Profile Photo
Feste
#76Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/9/17 at 2:01am

JudyDenmark said: "I would be genuinely thrilledwith any of the supporting castfrom Once On This Island getting nominated,but my standouts wereMerle Dandridge, Phillip Boykin, andKenita R. Miller. I also thought Isaac Powell was particularly greatin the often overlooked role of Daniel."

I agree completely, especially about Isaac.  He's absolutely perfect for the role, and makes an easily unlikeable character very sympathetic.   He's wonderful in this role, and made me feel for Daniel's dilemma. 

willrolandsframes
#77Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/10/17 at 6:47pm

Here’s something I’ve been pondering and I’d like some other opinions on. If the matchup for Best Actor is Ethan Slater versus Tony Shalhoub (forget about Henry, Nolan, Haden-Patton, etc. for a moment), who wins?

I feel like Slater gives the better performance, but the voters would be more inclined to give Shalhoub the award.

What do you think would happen in this scenario?

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#78Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/10/17 at 11:57pm

Irrelevant because of Joshua Henry.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#79Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/11/17 at 12:07am

^ Yup. The Tony is pretty much Henry's to lose.

(But for what it's worth, frames, I think it'd go to Slater. While Shalhoub's performance is nuanced and beautiful, it isn't really Tony-worthy, IMO.)

ChiTheaterFan
#80Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/11/17 at 12:14am

JudyDenmark said: "I would be genuinely thrilledwith any of the supporting castfrom Once On This Island getting nominated,but my standouts wereMerle Dandridge, Phillip Boykin, andKenita R. Miller. I also thought Isaac Powell was particularly greatin the often overlooked role of Daniel."

I just saw this tonight and I agree I'd be thrilled if any of them were nominated. For me the standout was Alex Newell. He blew me away and it surprised me. He and Hailey were the stars to me. (Lea Salonga was out, although I didn't notice since I didn't look at the playbill or pay attention to the board in the lobby and didn't know what role she played. I finally realized it she must be out about 20 min in when I hadnt seen her.  And although I would have loved to see her it didn't bother me since Darlesia Cearcy did an amazing job.)

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#81Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/11/17 at 5:41am

BroadwayConcierge said: "^ Yup. The Tonyis pretty much Henry's to lose.

(But for what it's worth, frames, I think it'd go to Slater. While Shalhoub's performance is nuanced and beautiful, it isn't really Tony-worthy, IMO.)
"

His performance is beautiful and nuanced... but NOT Tony-worthy? How does that even make sense in your world? Pretty sure that's part of the definition of award-worthy. Note: I'm not saying Shaloub is or isn't going to win, just asking about your rationale. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

willrolandsframes
#82Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/11/17 at 6:54am

LesWickedly said: "Irrelevant because of Joshua Henry. "

I understand that. I’m just saying that if we threw those other three guys out of the picture, and it were just Slater vs. Shalhoub, who would take the Tony? My point is that, regardless of how great Ethan was, I feel like the Tony Voters would be inclined to give the award to Shalhoub for non-performance reasons.

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#83Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/11/17 at 8:43am

I really think Taylor Louderman may be picking up her first nomination this year.

If placed in the featured category.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

thebookofwhizzer Profile Photo
thebookofwhizzer
#84Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/11/17 at 8:48am

CindersGolightly said: "I really think Taylor Louderman may be picking up her first nomination this year.

If placed in the featured category.
"

After seeing the show, I don't think there was anything particularly Tony worthy about her performance. It was good, but not amazing. 

“6 AM. The sky glows. Somewhere a bird chirps. I want to shoot it.” ~ Jonathan Larson, Tick...Tick..BOOM
Updated On: 12/11/17 at 08:48 AM

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#85Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/11/17 at 9:39am

Can someone explain to me what Alex Newell is doing that is so nomination worthy?

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#86Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/11/17 at 3:36pm

little_sally said: "Can someone explain to me what Alex Newell is doing that is so nomination worthy?"

Have to agree with you here - the singled-out praise he's getting is a head-scratcher to me. I LOVED the whole show, him included (to the point that I'm going again this Sunday), but he was the least exciting to me, at least of the gods. I kind of felt like he said to himself, "I'm a man playing a big, sassy woman and I just have to screlt and the audience will eat it up." And he did, and the audience of course ate it up. But I never felt like I got any nuance or real character from him. (Or, frankly, the kind of next-level musicality I really wanted in the way I got it from all three of the other gods.) Oh well - to each his/her own. I'm assuming he'll get a nomination anyway. And I'll honestly be happy with any nominations and/or awards this beautiful show gets!  (...though I hope karma comes to bite whoever was being obnoxious in that SpongeBob performance, because that whole situation is appalling to me.)

BroadwayAndSports
#87Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/11/17 at 3:54pm

JudyDenmark said: "little_sally said: "Can someone explain to me what Alex Newell is doing that is so nomination worthy?"

Have to agree with you here - the singled-outpraise he's getting is a head-scratcher to me. I LOVED the whole show, him included (to the point that I'm going again this Sunday), but he was the least exciting to me, at least of the gods. I kind of felt like he said to himself, "I'm a man playing a big, sassywoman and I just have toscrelt and the audience will eat it up." And he did, and the audience of course ate it up. But I never felt like I got any nuance or real character from him. (Or, frankly, the kind of next-level musicality I really wanted in the way I got it from all three of the other gods.)Oh well - to each his/her own. I'm assuming he'll get a nomination anyway. And I'llhonestlybe happy with any nominations and/or awards this beautiful show gets! (...though I hope karma comes to bite whoever was being obnoxious in that SpongeBob performance, because that whole situationis appalling to me.)
"

It was like 6 or 7 of them, not sure exactly which ones though. Aureila Williams, Kenita Miller, and Darlesia Cearcy look familar. 

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#88Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/11/17 at 4:01pm

I liked Alex Newell a lot in OOTI. I thought he was fun to watch and tore up Mama Will Provide. It's also nice to see some gender blind casting and I think those kinds of risks should be applauded, especially when executed as well as Newell's performance. I also though Merle Dandridge was a standout as well.

Also, Alex plays a woman so convincingly that I had I not known, I would have honestly thought i was watching a woman onstage.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#89Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/11/17 at 4:08pm

dramamama611 said: "His performance is beautiful and nuanced... but NOT Tony-worthy? How does that even make sense in your world? Pretty sure that's part of the definition of award-worthy. Note: I'm not saying Shaloubis or isn't going to win, just asking about your rationale."

Sorry, I get where the confusion is in what I wrote before. I meant it in that there's nothing wrong whatsoever with Shalhoub's performance. It's beautiful, but I don't think it's really award-worthy. The contrast is made even more clear since he performs most of the show next to Katrina Lenk, who reaches extraordinary levels of transcendence. Shalhoub is great, but not "transcendent," IMO.

JudyDenmark
#90Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/11/17 at 4:17pm

GeorgeandDot said: "I liked Alex Newell a lot in OOTI. I thought he was fun to watch and tore up Mama Will Provide. It's also nice to see some gender blind casting and I think those kinds of risks should be applauded, especially when executed as well as Newell's performance. I also though Merle Dandridge was a standout as well. Also, Alex plays a woman so convincingly that I had I not known, I would have honestly thought i was watching a woman onstage."

But do you think someone should be awarded just because of diverse casting, and not performance? I mean, if you loved Alex's performance I totally get it, and that's a perfectly valid reason to root for him. But I don't want to see him rewarded just because of gender-blind casting - that's not fair to all of the men who are giving outstanding performances in male roles. (Honestly, that was my biggest complaint about Asaka... it felt like he was phoning it in a little, knowing that people would go eat it up regardless of what he did.) Alternately, I felt like Merle Dandridge really brought something new to Papa Ge, and I think she deserves to be nominated on the merit of that performance, not just because of the gender-blind casting. 

little_sally
#91Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/11/17 at 4:20pm

JudyDenmark said: "GeorgeandDot said: "I liked Alex Newell a lot in OOTI. I thought he was fun to watch and tore up Mama Will Provide. It's also nice to see some gender blind casting and I think those kinds of risks should be applauded, especially when executed as well as Newell's performance. I also though Merle Dandridge was a standout as well.Also, Alex plays a woman so convincingly that I had I not known, I would have honestly thought i was watching a woman onstage."

But do you think someone should be awarded just because of diverse casting, and not performance? I mean, if you loved Alex's performance I totally get it, and that's a perfectlyvalid reason to root for him. But I don't want to see him rewarded just because ofgender-blind casting - that's not fair to all of the men who are giving outstanding performances in male roles. (Honestly, that was my biggest complaint about Asaka... it felt like he was phoning it in a little, knowing that people would go eat it up regardless of what he did.) Alternately, I felt like Merle Dandridge really brought something new to Papa Ge, and I think she deserves to be nominated on the merit of that performance, not just because of the gender-blind casting.
"

I agree 100%. Alex sang the song well but completely disappeared and seemed to disconnect from the action when he wasn't the focus.

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#92Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/11/17 at 4:24pm

It's almost boggling—particularly compared to years past when the category has been overflowing with remarkable performances—that Katrina Lenk has what feels like close to no competition.

JudyDenmark
#93Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/11/17 at 4:29pm

TFMH18 said: "It's almost boggling—particularly compared to years past when the category has been overflowing with remarkable performances—thatKatrina Lenk has what feels like close to nocompetition."

To be fair, none of her biggest competition (My Fair Lady, Carousel, Mean Girls, Frozen) has opened yet... 

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#94Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/11/17 at 4:38pm

^Of course! I wasn't saying it as an "as of now" thing, but rather, factoring in those to-open shows, as well. I mean, I do suppose Jessie Mueller could end up being so ravishing that she swoops in there, but even then I still think Lenk would have the definitive edge. I dunno! I think Lenk is one hundred percent deserving and it should be hers, but it will be a bit boring if the competition remains as such.

Anyways all of this is, as the thread's title suggests' way too early!

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#95Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/11/17 at 5:30pm

No of course diversity isn't the only reason Alex should be nominated. I thought he was a ton of fun and should totally be one of the nominees. I also think Merle should slip into supporting actress.

Also, the only performance from Mean Girls likely to get a nomination is Kate Rockwell. The other performances just don't have enough. They're great, but there are other performances from other shows more likely to get in. Also, I don't think anyone in Frozen is giving a very good performance at all, frankly. They're all just perfectly serviceable and with the great performances that we've got in The Band's Visit, OOTI, and even SpongeBob (not to mention Carousel and My Fair Lady, which are very likely to have several standout performances) I don't think they'll be able to fight through the competition.

ChiTheaterFan
#96Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/11/17 at 6:40pm

For me it was mostly Mama Will Provide. I thought he was stellar. Not only was his singing great but I thought the theatricality fit the role as well. I also was sitting near where he was singing much of the show and I think that may have influenced me because I felt like I noticed a lot of nuances in his performance from being so close.

Bear in mind I did not see Lea Salonga as she was out.

sdrick
#97Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/11/17 at 7:09pm

It's also way TOO early . . . to rule out Katrina Lenk

TheSassySam Profile Photo
TheSassySam
#98Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/11/17 at 7:12pm

I hope Gavin Lee gets a nomination as Squidward, I loved his performance! 

Also, would Tony Shaloub be Leading or Supporting? 

little_sally
#99Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/12/17 at 9:47am

TheSassySam said: "I hope Gavin Lee gets a nomination as Squidward, I loved his performance!

Also, would Tony Shaloub be Leading or Supporting?
"

Tony is definitely lead. And with some many great supporting male performances in that show, they'd be silly to push him otherwise.

Videos