pixeltracker

Movies that could be Broadway musicals- Page 4

Movies that could be Broadway musicals

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#75re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 7/21/07 at 4:18pm

Waiting for Guffman!

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

chris d
#76re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 7/21/07 at 8:35pm

has anyone mentioned A League of Their Own? that could be a fun show.

Ready 2 Defy Gravity Profile Photo
Ready 2 Defy Gravity
#77re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 7/23/07 at 10:44am

I don't know if anyone metion this but How to Lose a guy in 10 days would be hilarious. and Monster in Law and Sweet Home Alabama.

shakejake6282 Profile Photo
shakejake6282
#78re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 7/23/07 at 12:45pm

Forrest Gump the musical, would be hysterical with the perfect cast

Mrs. Doubtfire

The First Wives Club

"Operator, you have obviously never been trapped in a Chinese opium den!" - Thoroughly Modern Millie

Tkt2Ride Profile Photo
Tkt2Ride
#79re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 7/24/07 at 9:30am

I am waiting for "Joe's Apartment"

Dancing, singing cockroaches! It doesn't get better than this in New York!

Ready 2 Defy Gravity
#80re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 7/24/07 at 11:56am

hahah yes Joes Apartment would be awesome.

Tkt2Ride Profile Photo
Tkt2Ride
#81re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 7/24/07 at 1:06pm

Yep!

"Sewer Surfing" and "Me and my baby in a little Roach Motel!"

This and the "Evil Dead Tour" are on my list. Until " Sweeney Todd" and "Drowsy" make their way to frisco. So many flops and this baby is just begging to be sung?

Ready 2 Defy Gravity
#82re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 7/25/07 at 8:46am

How about Hitch the musical? That would be funny.

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#83re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 4/6/09 at 12:12pm

I'm bumping this up because I got an idea after reading the "Sick of movies being turned into musicals?" thread. How about Dick Tracy? It's such a fun, colorful film and it has five fabulous Sondheim songs in it already. It could easily be expanded by the right creative team though it would be better if Sondheim, himself, were involved.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

jdrama
#84re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 4/6/09 at 2:31pm

Anastasia would be a great musical to go on Broadway.
Disney would benefit from: Mulan, Hercules and Hunchback of Notre Dame.

robskynyc
#85re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 6/4/18 at 6:43pm

revisiting this thread almost 10 years later and its pretty amazing to see how many people were right with the ones that eventually came to be musicals LOL mean girls, Anastasia, moulin rouge, elf, devil wears Prada.

BwayLB
#86re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 6/4/18 at 6:46pm

Well a YouTube user and I are developing ideas for an adaptation of the 1995 Don Bluth animated film Pebble and the Penguin. Again we are not profesdionals. Just drawing ideas

Updated On: 5/5/19 at 06:46 PM

Elegance101 Profile Photo
Elegance101
#87re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 6/4/18 at 7:17pm

Wow, it is definitely fun to see just how many of these came true (including those still in development)!

MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
#88re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 6/4/18 at 7:28pm

The recent Love Simon would work well on stage. The book and film follow a closeted gay teen corresponding with an anonymous pen pal while playing matchmaker for a school bully. It could easily appeal to the Dear Evan Hansen, Be More Chill crowd.

Even better would be the Brazilian film The Way He Looks (aka Hoje Eu Quero Voltar Sozinho). It starts from a similar place, with a blind teen ditching his lovesick female friend to pursue a male classmate. It goes in different directions though and is as much about the leads quest for independence as it is his pursuit of romance.

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com

BwayLB
#89re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 6/4/18 at 7:38pm

MrsSallyAdams said: "The recentLove Simonwould work well on stage. The book and film follow a closeted gay teen corresponding with an anonymous pen pal while playing matchmaker for a school bully. It could easily appeal to theDear Evan Hansen, Be More Chillcrowd.

Even better would be the Brazilian filmThe Way He Looks(akaHoje Eu Quero Voltar Sozinho). It starts from a similar place, with a blind teen ditching his lovesick female friend to pursue a male classmate. It goes in different directions though and is as much about the leads quest for independence as it is his pursuit of romance.
"

Love Simon was so good

Elegance101 Profile Photo
Elegance101
#90re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 6/4/18 at 7:40pm

Love, Simon would end up being as contrived as the movie. Pass.

jbp1232 Profile Photo
jbp1232
#91re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 6/4/18 at 10:28pm

I also think Love Simon has the potential to be a great musical.

And for some unknown reason, I have this weird feeling that Room could transition into a really gripping Fun Home-esque musical

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#92re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 6/5/18 at 12:31am

Girls Just Want to Have Fun writes itself. Someone please make that!! Casting would be challenging - it would require some serious triple threats. But there’s just so much opportunity there.

Also, I know it’s been said ad nauseam in these boards, but for the love of god someone please make Hercules. I feel like the more it’s written the more we can will it into existance? Maybe? Zero to Hero would bring down the house!

codywlong2
#93re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 6/6/18 at 7:14pm

Judy Garland's last movie, "I Could Go On Singing", has a great plot and there are a number of Adele tunes that fit well. As much as I loathe all the jukebox musicals, I think there's enough theatricality in her music and juicy enough of a plot. 

Sondheimite Profile Photo
Sondheimite
#94re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 6/6/18 at 7:16pm

I've always wanted to write a darker musical based on the documentary Jesus Camp.  

Broadway World's Fireman.

Ravenclaw
#95re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 6/6/18 at 10:06pm

jbp1232 said: "I also think Love Simon has the potential to be a great musical.

And for some unknown reason, I have this weird feeling that Room could transition into a really gripping Fun Home-esque musical
"

I'll pass on the trite Love Simon, but as for Room, that already happened, kind of. https://www.abbeytheatre.ie/whats-on/room/

BwayLB
#96re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 6/6/18 at 10:09pm

Other movies I am considering are Brother Bear Thumbelina Quest for Camelot Moana Cats Don't Dance and Descendants

Oak2
#97re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 6/7/18 at 1:17am

Airplane! 

EdEval
#98re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 6/7/18 at 9:09am

Although it was first a play and then a motion picture I wonder why they haven't made ARSENIC AND OLD LACE into a musical. Can you image Patti Lupone and Christine Ebersole as the two old aunts and Nathan Lane as Teddy?

BWAY Baby2
#99re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 6/7/18 at 10:39am

I would love to see a serious musical based on A Fantastic Woman- the movie that won the Best Foreign Film Award. Sondheim is probably not going to do it at this point- but another serious composer- or team- could make this a really serious and timely piece of musical theater- in the same vein as Light In The Piazza, Parade, Kiss Of The Spiderwpman or Passion.

Updated On: 6/7/18 at 10:39 AM

Videos