pixeltracker

FROZEN to Arrive on Broadway in Spring 2018- Page 41

FROZEN to Arrive on Broadway in Spring 2018

shrekster224 Profile Photo
shrekster224
#1000FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/20/17 at 1:11am

10086Sundays said: "shrekster224 said: "I'll admit though I've read a lot, I haven't read every post so sorry if someone already mentioned this.  Can anyone speak to the choreography?  There are some serious dancers in that ensemble and we all know Rob Ashford is as full out as it get's.  Would love to know how it is implemented."

Choreography is basically a non-entity in this. There are some dance numbers: The Coronation Ball, Fixer-Upper, Hygge(UGH).  It's not good or bad, there aren't any showstoppers or anything really original. The show isn't one told through dance, so it doesn't really detract from the experience. 

ETA - I realize that sounds negative. But it's not. I appreciate that they didn't try to force in dancing where it wasn't needed.

"

Thanks, 10086Sundays!

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#1001FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/20/17 at 1:28am

Disney must also be pissed about these leaks. Their usual "disney magic" ploy is flying out the window. I imagine the Denver Center ushers were given a stern talking to tonight. 

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#1002FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/20/17 at 1:37am

I am not a Disney or Frozen purist, but I am absolutely shocked at how awful the set looks in that clip.

Jjohansan
#1003FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/20/17 at 1:54am

I know that this involves a tremendous amount of assuming, but to think that there is a universe where Alex Timbers stayed with the project, the scenic design is more in line with what we were all hoping it to be, Betsy continued on to do the Denver run, and Caissie is playing Jenna in Waitress makes me very sad to be living in this universe.

Updated On: 8/20/17 at 01:54 AM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#1004FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/20/17 at 1:57am

I am curious to know why Timbers was let go. His ROCKY was pretty massive and beautifully staged. 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#1005FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/20/17 at 3:07am

Well Disney has certainly "Let It Go" in terms of production standards. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

broadwayboy223
#1006FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/20/17 at 3:42am

I don't remember who said it but the awards show comment is pretty accurate. How can anyone defend this? And also if Betsy was let go because "a new director doesn't keep the leftovers" tell me why too old Patti Murin is STILL in the show. She was in the Timber version as well. I hope we get the full story one day and that Betsy gets her chance as Elsa. 

VintageSnarker
#1007FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/20/17 at 4:47am

rosscoe(au) said: "For those that haven't seen it

http://toyboyfan.tumblr.com/post/164369139976/ladies-and-gentlemen-boys-and-girls-the-moment

well that was very underwhelming 

The snowflake backdrop is very pretty but why is nothing else happening? At this point, vocals aside, this performance is more impressive...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd0w7VYqazU

I liked Aladdin for what it was even if I felt like they were hampered by the size of the stage (quite a few... in front of the curtain scenes). But if they're doing construction at the St. James I don't see why there isn't a staircase. Even if it's not a fancy effect, just let her change levels at some point. Tarzan and The Little Mermaid had big issues to overcome adapting something animated to the stage. Even Lion King and Beauty and the Beast had their challenges. Comparatively, Frozen has it easy.

coolboi952
#1008FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/20/17 at 7:46am

10086Sundays said: 
"Yes, it's massive theatre. If you've ever been to the Broadway Palace, the balcony is as far away as that one, maybe more. Whatever you do, try to get as center as possible. Major siteline issues in Denver. "

Thanks 10086Sundays I have been in the Palace so that gives me a better idea of distance from the stage. And i was afriad about sightlines so I will try to stay center. 

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#1009FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/20/17 at 8:23am

The castle is beautiful, do you guys think they won't even get a Best Set Design nomination then?

Updated On: 8/20/17 at 08:23 AM

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#1010FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/20/17 at 8:32am

Y'all need to slow your roll. This is off a crappy bootleg video that we shouldn't be seeing in the first place.

Caissie Levy sounds excellent. 

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#1011FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/20/17 at 8:44am

^ Agreed.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

evic
#1012FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/20/17 at 8:54am

That effect was pretty amazing. The set not so much .We can expect nothing more than meh with Ashdord choreographing. I am sure he managed to have the cast raised the legs a la seconde to expose their crotches as he does in every show. 

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#1013FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/20/17 at 8:54am

I listened to that clip 5x. Caissie Levy sounds incredible. 

disneybroadwayfan22
#1014FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/20/17 at 8:55am

Alyssa Fox has spoken out about the bootleg 

https://twitter.com/alyssafox/status/899092662501883906

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#1015FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/20/17 at 9:17am

Anybody that has not yet seen the show and is commenting solely on the bootleg—positively or negatively—is commenting with a complete invalid opinion.

Please, for the sake of this brand-new show, wait until you're actually in the Buell or the St. James before sharing your critiques. 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#1016FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/20/17 at 9:29am

trpguyy said: "JudyDenmark said: "Re: set design... For shows that have major technical elements/special effects, are they always part of the show in the out of town tryout? Is it possible that they're planning something more high tech with "Let It Go" in New York that for whatever reason they can't do in Denver?"

The Buell stagehouse is large, and possibly even deeper upstage than the St James is going to be. But if there were a scenic element that required a deep trap space (i.e. Pride Rock or Billy Elliot's room), they'd likely be able to drill down into the St James whereas that's not so much of an option in Denver. 

"

If Lion King can have their pride rock for their out of town tryout at a much older theatre, I don't see why not Frozen can have a pride rock esque staircase in their out of town tryout. 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement
Updated On: 8/20/17 at 09:29 AM

10086Sundays
#1017FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/20/17 at 9:39am

Call_me_jorge said: "trpguyy said: "JudyDenmark said: "Re: set design... For shows that have major technical elements/special effects, are they always part of the show in the out of town tryout? Is it possible that they're planning something more high tech with "Let It Go" in New York that for whatever reason they can't do in Denver?"

The Buell stagehouse is large, and possibly even deeper upstage than the St James is going to be. But if there were a scenic element that required a deep trap space (i.e. Pride Rock or Billy Elliot's room), they'd likely be able to drill down into the St James whereas that's not so much of an option in Denver. 
"

If Lion King can have their pride rock for their out of town tryout at a much older theatre, I don't see why not Frozen can have a pride rock esque staircase in their out of town tryout. 
"

Not if the theater physically can't accommodate it. Age isn't the issue. As trpguyy said, they aren't able to alter a theater like the Denver Center to that extent. 

Notreallysilent 2
#1018FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/20/17 at 9:48am

Are of elsas snow powers done through projections? If so that wouldn't be too hard to add more in let it go. Everyone is saying that the set will pretty much stay the same, but projections wouldn't require a change in set. I just really wished they made the ice castle and let it go bigger. They had such a good opportunity to do so, and at least part of the castle could have risen from the stage. 

10086Sundays
#1019FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/20/17 at 9:54am

Notreallysilent 2 said: "Are of elsas snow powers done through projections? If so that wouldn't be too hard to add more in let it go. Everyone is saying that the set will pretty much stay the same, but projections wouldn't require a change in set. I just really wished they made the ice castle and let it go bigger. They had such a good opportunity to do so, and at least part of the castle could have risen from the stage. "

Yes. At other times they do have snow falling onto the stage. They use something that shimmers which I like as opposed to the usual stuff. It adds an element of magic, especially at the end, when it snows during the finale. 

JennH
#1020FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/20/17 at 12:00pm

I'm pretty sure it' pointless to say much right this second, as what's been posted since yesterday has been my exact thoughts in terms of it's issues.

I'm holding gout SOME hope that this major renovation at the St James is for a good reason no one outside the show knows about. 

I know we all say the videos don't do justice to live theatre, but honestly sometimes this is just an excuse. Seeing it live doesn't change a mediocre script, sub par songs ( although DtD is a decent addition, though I still say she should sing it elsewhere so they could have kept Heimr Arnadalr), some thus far odd sounding and/or boring replica costumes, or a lack of theatre magic and Disney whimsy. The only thing seeing it live does it remove a camera lens so we're not contending with a fuzzy video quality. The hopes and stakes for this are HIGH, and we get that, but thus far it doesn't seem to to be delivering. 

I mean, most of us were venting about how "Chocolate Factory" seems to have the same issue...they seemed to go the cheap way, and there were many complaints about those ticket prices and there is truth to that. If it mostly and empty stage, what in the world are we paying for (part from the obvious, such as the actors, techs, etc.).?

Updated On: 8/20/17 at 12:00 PM

theatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
#1021FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/20/17 at 1:41pm

The "good reason" for the major renovation at the St. James is Jujamcyn taking advantage of Second Stage's need for funding for the Helen Hayes and a chance for them to expand the St. James and therefore make it a more attractive prospect for producers with large productions. It was certainly a deciding factor for Disney when they were considering where to put Frozen, but even if they had chosen another theater the stage of the St. James would still be expanded. It's not like the back wall is coming down specifically for Frozen's set.

disneybroadwayfan22
#1022FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/20/17 at 1:52pm

JennH said: "I mean, most of us were venting about how "Chocolate Factory" seems to have the same issue...they seemed to go the cheap way, and there were many complaints about those ticket prices and there is truth to that. If it mostly and empty stage, what in the world are we paying for (part from the obvious, such as the actors, techs, etc.).?"

At least the castle for what it is is beautiful and does a good job, taking advantage of the space. The Chocolate Room is a literally a box center stage!

theatregoer3 Profile Photo
theatregoer3
#1023FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/20/17 at 4:45pm

The stage of the Buell is enormous. Much bigger and deeper than any Broadway theater's backstage space. They also have a very large trap room. If they're "holding back" on a larger set, it's not because of the Buell's specs and abilities. 

seanmcdonagh121
#1024FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/20/17 at 4:51pm

Firstly, Cassie sounds great but I too am underwhelmed by the number. 

I have a sneaky suspicion this isn't how it will be on Broadway. Maybe I'll be proven wrong in a couple of months but I just think with the current renovations happening at the St.James that this show will go through some visual changes before it lands here. 

But I was about to buy two tickets for the show this Summer and reluctantly didn't because I got side tracked, right now, I'm grateful I didn't. 

Videos