pixeltracker

What shows have you walked out on?- Page 5

What shows have you walked out on?

Oak2
#100What shows have you walked out on?
Posted: 5/25/18 at 10:12am

A couple others I remembered along with Chicago mentioned previously:

-Left The Bodyguard because there was some kind of shooting happening before the play even started. To be fair that wasn't the play's fault I guess, but still very telling that the theater's security was so poor. I tried watching a later time but then it ALSO had another crazed gunman come in right at the start. So both times I attempted to see it I ended up fleeing out of the theater for my own safety before the show could even start, so I never was able to see any of it.

-Left the Drowsy Chaperone before it even started too - All lights went off and someone yelled out "I hate theater". Well I have ZERO tolerance for such disrespect of the nature, so I left before I could listen to another word.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#101What shows have you walked out on?
Posted: 5/25/18 at 10:52am

There are plenty of Broadway things I've wanted to walk out on but didn't because the person I was with wanted to stay.

I have left these things off-Broadway:

The Object Lesson (I left with 10 minutes to go; we had to get up and move our seats and took it as an opportunity to just go)

Desperate Measures

Bobbie Clearly

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Famebroadway2 Profile Photo
Famebroadway2
#102What shows have you walked out on?
Posted: 5/25/18 at 11:04am

Holler if ya hear me! I begged my family to leave at intermission. I felt terrible that I brought them to see this show on their trip to NYC. Unfortunately, they wanted to stay for act 2. God that show was terrible!

Play Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#103What shows have you walked out on?
Posted: 5/25/18 at 5:34pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "Oh, you trust fund kids with expendable play money. Hahahaha.

I’ll ride out a show no matter how bad it is. Even if my tickets were free. If I paid, p*uck if I’m walking out.
"

Not a trust fund kid here, but I am established in my career after years of hard work: life is too short for **** productions and I see no obligation to stay.  This is particularly a problem for me as I love opera, but I am not going to sit through a five hour production of Meistersinger that I can't stand just because I paid for it.  

Recent walk outs:

- M Butterly (funny...I left during the second intermission of Madam Butterfly this season as well, though I've seen the production many times before and was just not a fan of the cast)

- Jerry Springer: the Opera the second time I saw this production (I wanted to stay, husband wanted to leave, but in fairness, the first act is the better of the two)

- DC: Mean Girls pre-Broadway and The Pillow Game...what a miserable trip to DC....

- OPERA:  Too many damn productions to discuss, but recently: the new and bland Tosca (left for Sonya, stayed for Anna), Norma (why do I even try with that one...), Parisfal (in fairness, I love that production having seen it three times, but was really really tired....), 

Echoing the OP: I SOOOOO wanted to leave War Paint but the person I was with was enjoying it....shoot me, please.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#104What shows have you walked out on?
Posted: 5/25/18 at 5:40pm

I never walked out of any show and truly doubt I ever will. I have never seen any show that I thought was that bad to make me want to leave before the end.

charityhopevalentine2 Profile Photo
charityhopevalentine2
#105What shows have you walked out on?
Posted: 5/25/18 at 6:07pm

I really wanted to walk out of Aladdin but it was a school trip and I couldn't leave 

Updated On: 5/25/18 at 06:07 PM

theaterdarling
#106What shows have you walked out on?
Posted: 5/25/18 at 6:10pm

"Isn't It Romantic" 

Sat through, but really wanted to leave "The Heidi Chronicles" but  was with someone who wanted to stay.

never, ever, ever got Wendy Wasserstein

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#107What shows have you walked out on?
Posted: 5/25/18 at 7:43pm

Something Rotten is the big one that comes to mind. Couldn’t have run from that theater fast enough. Also, The Gin Game with Cicely Tyson. Oof.

Recently, I left AiA: Part 1 at the first intermission. In fairness, I had just seen it a week before with a friend and had a ticket to Part 2 that night. I was very tired and felt like the performers were more than a little tired. Part 2 did very little to rouse me when I returned, unfortunately. Not a great day.

VintageSnarker
#108What shows have you walked out on?
Posted: 5/25/18 at 8:57pm

little_sally said: "TI have left these things off-Broadway:

Desperate Measures

I'm surprised it's had so many extensions and is now off-Broadway but I've certainly seen worse off-Broadway musicals (even just at the York). I can't remember which act was stronger/weaker but even for the... less inspired songs, I still enjoyed the vocals.

@Play Esq. You make a good point about opera. I don't know if people have just had enough of bad productions or they want to get home but I've noticed people never returning after one of the multiple intermissions. So far, I always stick it out but that might change as I see repeats of the same shows (I've seen 2 Zeffirelli La Bohemes and 3 random Lucia di Lammermoors and the traditional and newer Cosi Fan Tutte at the Met). I'm motivated to tough it out to see if there's a redeeming aria buried in there somewhere but there have been some PAINFUL and LONG nights. There's nothing like waiting for an opera heroine to just get it over with and DIE ALREADY. But so far since I'm mostly seeing operas for the first time, I sit through them from start to finish so I can decide if I ever need to see a different production. I will sometimes leave during the bows/applause or race out right after. I never do it for plays or musicals but with opera I've usually been sitting there for hours and the rounds of bows can be endless so if I hated the production, I'm not going to sit there another 10 minutes and pretend.

Is the new Tosca better or worse than the one they were doing prior to this one? I found myself bored through long stretches of that one so I ended up changing my ticket for Anna to something else (probably Cendrillon, which had its own issues... the red was NOT a good idea, the leads had no chemistry... but I enjoyed it more than I probably would have enjoyed another Tosca).

Br0adway
#109What shows have you walked out on?
Posted: 5/28/18 at 10:53am

Chicago- I would have left but since it was a college assignment so I had to stay. It was awful first Broadway show. I wouldn’t go again even if the tickets were free.

Hamilton- I was so disappointed! After an awful train ride to NYC and spending more than $200 for Mezz seats, we just stayed. We wanted to leave but it was coooooold outside. Both hated the show but it was right around the new Hamilton started in January so maybe the cast was off that weekend. I would see the show again BUT it has to be another cast. Maybe in like 5 years when the current Broadway cast is gone.

Susanswerphone Profile Photo
Susanswerphone
#110What shows have you walked out on?
Posted: 5/28/18 at 2:12pm

Saint Joan. Just yesterday. The decision was clear about 15 minutes in. But I was dead center in a full row. So I politely waited, trying desperately not to nod off and snore, until the first act curtain which I thought would never come.

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#111What shows have you walked out on?
Posted: 5/28/18 at 2:20pm

I've never walked out of a show. You cannot properly judge a show if did not see the whole thing.

#112What shows have you walked out on?
Posted: 5/28/18 at 2:27pm

I was very close to walking out of Peter and the Starcatcher. I was ready to leave at intermission, but my friend who was with me wanted to stay for the rest. That show just wasn’t my cup of tea.

valerie3058 Profile Photo
valerie3058
#113What shows have you walked out on?
Posted: 5/28/18 at 3:28pm

I haven't walked out of any shows mainly due to the cost of tickets & travel; or I'm with the person that has bought me a ticket and I don't to come off as ungrateful or rude. 

I wish I could've walked out of Amazing Grace. Other than the title number performed beautifully at the end, the show was horrid.

War Paint wasn't much better. I hated the score, but being able to see Patti Lupone live and the hilarious snarky scene at the end of Act 2 made it worth staying. 

I also really didn't care for Matilda, but I do love the staging of When I Grow Up so I stuck it out. Although I walked out with a massive headache after hearing children mumble-screaming their lines. 

I actually remember quite a lot of people walking out of the off-Broadway Heathers production at intermission. Have a feeling it was due to the Dead Girl Walking scene. 

Updated On: 5/28/18 at 03:28 PM

Play Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#114What shows have you walked out on?
Posted: 5/28/18 at 4:11pm

VintageSnarker:  The new Tosca is an improvement from the last Bondy production...but not by much.  The only real benefit that it is welcoming enough to draw back world class talent who had avoided the opera at the Met since the departure of the Zeffirelli (which was my first Tosca, but not my favorite).  

I'm much more excited about next season's offerings.  None of the new productions really get me excited, except the Samson et Dalila directed by Darko Tresnjak, but the revivals are mostly all well chosen and wonderfully cast, particularly the Pelléas, Mefistofele, Dialogues and Fanciulla.  Oh, and the La Fille du Régiment is also not to be missed!

Matt Rogers Profile Photo
Matt Rogers
#115What shows have you walked out on?
Posted: 5/28/18 at 5:55pm

robskynyc said: "blaxx said: "I walked out of Phantom because it was all about a masked man and not a phantom, and it had too much opera. They didn't advertise it was so much opera.

I also walked out of Wicked at intermission because the lead was good and not wicked until the very end, and it had a big dragon and clocks and it was confusing.

And also I walked out of The Lion King because it had puppets but you could see the person handling the puppets, and Iknow it has hakuna Matata and all those songs but I could see the people and I left.
"

you must be be another one of these nasty BWW board trolls I keep hearing aboutheart

"

You've got a lot of nerve, having been here for a month and you start a thread that is clearly meant to troll, by bragging about how you have walked out of all sorts of award winning shows, and then when veteran members of this board call you out on how ridiculous you are, you respond by projecting exactly what you are onto them: By calling them trolls. Who are you, Donald Trump? And by the way, if LaChanze gave the all clear for the audience to sing along at Summer, I think that over-rides your rules.

Matt Rogers Profile Photo
Matt Rogers
#116What shows have you walked out on?
Posted: 5/28/18 at 6:03pm

robskynyc said: "Bwayfan292 said: "To the OP. I havent been on these boards for a while, but ive been on here long enough to know that hate is a well respected board member. If you dont agree with what people have to say regarding your view on shows or etc. dont post new threads, and dont call memvers trolls when they disgaree with you."

i can just as easily say if you dont agree with a new thread dont click on it and dont comment. your comment makes you a hypocrite. my problem with haterobics is that they come off like an a*hole. like i said earlier i dont agree with PLENTY of people and opinions here, but i just keep scrolling. and you dont have to be a genius to look at some of haters posts/replies to see that they like to instigate. or maybe your head is so far up theiras$ you cant see straight?
"

Wow. Just wow. The mods on here are on a censorship stampede lately but yet they let your name calling and garbage live to see another day? Unreal.

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#117What shows have you walked out on?
Posted: 5/28/18 at 6:45pm

In recent memory, I bailed on Saint Joan at intermission and fled 1984 about forty minutes into the performance.  So glad I had an aisle seat for 1984.

enjoyable2
#118What shows have you walked out on?
Posted: 5/28/18 at 7:19pm

Should have walked out of Best LIttle Whorehoues in Texas. Dreadful. 

And, after sitting through the remarkable, breathtaking first act of Sunday in the Park with George, I should definitely have left at intermission because that second act was  the worst thing I ever sat through. Always  regretted that I didn't, because it has corrupted my memory of the first act. 

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#119What shows have you walked out on?
Posted: 5/28/18 at 7:49pm

Leap of Faith and the tickets were free and It Shoulda Been You simply ugh!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

ghostlight2
#120What shows have you walked out on?
Posted: 5/28/18 at 7:54pm

"Leap of Faith and the tickets were free"

I hope you never accept a free ticket again, then. The reason tickets are given away is because the show needs people in the seats. The least you can do is sit through the show,

I've never walked out of a show. There is plenty to learn from the worst of shows.

dearalanaaaa Profile Photo
dearalanaaaa
#121What shows have you walked out on?
Posted: 5/28/18 at 10:01pm

robskynyc said: "For me:

Dear Evan Hansen- left at intermission. I just couldn't get into the story plus it felt a little exploitative. also, I didn't see it with Ben, but with Noah Galvin and I found it a bit of stretch to believe he was playing a straight teen.
"

Why does the sexuality of Evan matter? I'd like to see how you'd react to Angels in America or Boys in the Band with that attitude! Anyway, who exactly COULD Evan end up with if you really believed he was a Gay teen? If you say one of the "Omg yaoi gay boy Evan smol UwU" answers I'll definitely think you're a troll.

Mikeacarroll
#122What shows have you walked out on?
Posted: 5/29/18 at 12:23pm

Will3700 said: "I would never walk out of a show on Broadway but I have walked out at intermission on two touring shows. Could not get through Godspell as I hated being preached to and Happy Days was just so awfull,"

I can understand your points but with "Godspell"  what did you expect, a treatise on the Enlightenment?"

Mikeacarroll
#123What shows have you walked out on?
Posted: 5/29/18 at 12:29pm

Impossible2 said: "I wish I'd walked out of Cats. It is still the worst thing I have ever seen and the first time I've ever apologised to someone for taking them to the theatre."

Oh I do feel your pain, but I DID leave.  I almost stood and hollered, "Please for the love of God, sing Memory and end this!  I did not, but I did leave.  Never regretted that decision.  But my niece ended up singing Grizabella in a school production and I had to sit through it - several times.  Oh, to be a good uncle.

Mikeacarroll
#124What shows have you walked out on?
Posted: 5/29/18 at 12:47pm

Play Esq. said: "BrodyFosse123 said: "Oh, you trust fund kids with expendable play money. Hahahaha.

I’ll ride out a show no matter how bad it is. Even if my tickets were free. If I paid, p*uck if I’m walking out.
"

Not a trust fund kid here, but I am established in my career after years of hard work: life is too short for **** productions and I see no obligation to stay. This is particularly a problem for me as I love opera, but I am not going to sit through a five hour production ofMeistersinger that I can't stand just because I paid for it.

Recent walk outs:

- M Butterly (funny...I left during the second intermission of Madam Butterfly this season as well, though I've seen the production many times before and was just not a fan of the cast)

- Jerry Springer: the Opera the second time I saw this production (I wanted to stay, husband wanted to leave, but in fairness, the first act is the better of the two)

- DC: Mean Girls pre-Broadwayand The Pillow Game...what a miserable trip to DC....

- OPERA: Too many damn productions to discuss, but recently: the new andbland Tosca (left for Sonya, stayed for Anna), Norma (why do I even try with that one...), Parisfal (in fairness, I love that production having seen it three times, but was really really tired....),

Echoing the OP: I SOOOOO wanted to leave War Paint but the person I was with was enjoying it....shoot me, please.
"

Can I suggest a point about Bellini's Norma?  it's a tough sell to sit through, I'll stipulate to that.  I think it appeals to singers because the arias, duets and trios are compelling - to sing.  If the singers are first rate, they're compelling to hear. I love Norma.  It's the first opera I ever performed as an understudy to the  Pollione who developed a throat infection.  I love seeing it for the memories it brings me.  Without all that, I don't think I'd be as ardent in my liking for it.  For the record, I don't have the staying power for Wagner anymore.  I can't stand atonal stuff, and shock staging for the sake of shock staging gets my 62 year old dander up. 

Videos