pixeltracker

Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!- Page 5

Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!

theatregeek6 Profile Photo
theatregeek6
#100Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/12/17 at 4:30pm

Robbie2 said: "Kevin Spacey return as TONY HOST for the 72nd TONYS in 2018!"

At least there is a very small silver lining - - - This ain't happening.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#101Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/12/17 at 4:57pm

Seriously just wondering and not b/c I would love to see Ethan win the Tony: Why are people so sure of Joshua Henry winning the Tony? Like I can picture him winning super easily b/c his voice is so incredible, but is the role of Billy really well-done for an actor to do an award-winning performance?

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#102Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/12/17 at 5:06pm

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "Seriously just wondering and not b/c I would love to see Ethan win the Tony: Why are people so sure of Joshua Henry winning the Tony? Like I can picture him winning super easily b/c his voice is so incredible, but is the role of Billy really well-done for an actor to do anaward-winning performance?"

A) Billy Bigelow is one of the American stage's greatest roles. He's very much a lead character with tremendous growth. "Soliloquoy" alone is a song that, performed well, can warrant a Tony. 

B) Joshua Henry is a multiple nominee without a win, which doesn't hurt him at all.

C) Carousel opens at a prime Tony time in the spring. SpongeBob is getting buzz now, but it has another 4 and a half months to sustain itself until nominations even come out. 

Crazier things have happened (for all we know, Henry could end up being terrible in the role, as slim as the chances of that happening seem), but it looks pretty surefire.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#103Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/12/17 at 5:07pm

It is early but I'd say Michael Arden is the frontrunner for Director of a Musical so far.

And as far as Alex is concerned he has a gotten a wild, some standing ovation each time (3) I have seen the show.  The last time I saw that was Jennifer Holiday in DREAMGIRLS. He blows the roof off that place.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#104Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/12/17 at 6:14pm

It is early but I'd say Michael Arden is the frontrunner for Director of a Musical so far.

Over Cromer?  Really?  I'm surprised because I've seen more positives for Cromer's direction of Band's Visit than Arden's for Once on This Island.  There have been quibbles about Arden's kitchen-sink approach to staging and concept.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

CoffeeBreak Profile Photo
CoffeeBreak
#105Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/12/17 at 6:44pm

Island has a great score that was waiting for a revival.   Cromer,  and even Landau, for a nomination before Arden's unclear kitchen sink.   spring is coming 

Updated On: 12/12/17 at 06:44 PM

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#106Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/12/17 at 7:05pm

I'm holding out on director until I see what Sher brings to the table.

That being said, I loved Arden's and Cromer's direction. Landau, not so much. Talk about unclear. Oy. I'm also interested to see what happens with O'Brien. Could this be another Zaks situation, with him?

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#107Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/12/17 at 7:47pm

I’m still baffled as to how Joshua Henry is a front runner in a role nobody has seen him in yet.

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#108Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/12/17 at 8:26pm

The only people I see talking about Arden's "kitchen sink" Direction are a few on this board.

That very thing is what most of the legit reviewers loved. 

We shall see.

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#109Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/12/17 at 8:34pm

A couple of "legit reviewers" felt like his direction was a bit much too. I thought it perfect though and I appreciated how "extra" it all felt. I think Arden has a shot at the Tony, especially considering that his direction is kind of the star of the show. Then again, the Tony voters don't know sh*t about good direction as the events of last year proved.

Also, Joshua Henry is the frontrunner at the moment because of the role.  It's a ridiculously meaty part and he's an insane talent that already has a history with the Tonys.  It's also his competition.  Slater is great, but not award worthy, IMO, and Tony Shalhoub is great, but his part has very little singing and whatshisname that's playing Henry Higgins might give a great performance, but I doubt there will be anything particularly revolutionary about his performance.  We have to wait and see, but Henry shows the most promise at this point in the game.

Updated On: 12/12/17 at 08:34 PM

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#110Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/12/17 at 9:01pm

So Henry is going to win in a role nobody has seen him play and Henry Higgins has no chance in a role nobody has seen him play? And the 2 actors who both got glowing love letter reviews have no chance?

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#111Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/13/17 at 7:20am

I was thinking about this, but are there only five eligible actors this year for best actor in a musical? Like, I can’t think of anyone else. Am I forgetting about a show?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

disneybroadwayfan22
#112Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/13/17 at 9:00am

Alex Newell is definitely a nominee, maybe a Tony win, depending on the competition. He blows the night away with his MWP. He nails it vocally (He does a better soprano than me!) and has such a great presence,

SkylarElizabeth
#113Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/13/17 at 9:04am

I would love to see Ethan Slater take the Tony, but of course I haven't seen many other performances this season.  As far as choreography, I can't really see any way that it wouldn't be between Once on This Island or Spongebob.  Spongebob is more of big musical numbers and is really different from Once on This Island so I would be curious to see how that plays out.  Also, not saying this in any extremely negative way, but I feel like some people are overestimating Frozen a little bit.  It didn't get the most glowing reviews, and of course they're still working on it, but it is still a Disney movie adaptation and those (as said before) rarely do well in awards.  

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#114Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/13/17 at 9:46am

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "Alex Newell is definitely a nominee, maybe a Tony win, depending on the competition. He blows the night away with his MWP. He nails it vocally (He does a better soprano than me!)and has such a great presence,"

But there are so many other potential nominees: Gavin Lee, Norbert Leo Butz, John Douglas Thompson, Alexander Gemignani, the men of Frozen, the men of The Band's Visit, Grey Henson, Tony Yazbeck, and even Phillip Boykin. I'd say he has a lot of competition.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

ellbellthomps
#115Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/13/17 at 10:57am

I saw OOTI, I really doubt Alex Newell (or lea) will get a nomination. They were great, but not a big enough part. They had like 2 songs each, if that. 

If any of the Gods were to get one, it'd be Papa Ge.

Hailey Kilgore and Isaac are locks. Amazing performance by both of them, and I am sure it will win best staging if it makes it to tony season.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#116Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/13/17 at 11:21am

ellbellthomps said: "I saw OOTI, I really doubt Alex Newell (or lea) will get a nomination. They were great, but not a big enough part. They had like 2 songs each, if that.

If any of the Gods were to get one, it'd be Papa Ge.

Hailey Kilgore and Isaac are locks. Amazing performance by both of them, and I am sure it will win best staging if it makes it to tony season.
"

Would Isaac Powell be featured or lead?

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#117Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/13/17 at 11:40am

The Bands Visit, David Cromer and Katerina Link will all win.  

It's not even going to be a race in those categories.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

disneybroadwayfan22
#118Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/13/17 at 12:27pm

Issac is great as Daniel, but there's no way he will get nominated for a Tony.

Curtain, I would love to see Arden win a Tony for this, but so far, I think it'll be Cromer or Landau. Not to mention Jack O'Brian and Barrett Sher could have knock-outs in Carousel and MFL. He could be nominated though. 

WaffleOnWheels
#119Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/30/17 at 9:05pm

Would like to add on after seeing Band's Visit today. 

Katrina Lenk's performance will forever be with me. Hauntingly beautiful. I can't see anything blocking her from that Tony unless Jessie Mueller does something out of this world with Julie Jordan.

The supporting actor category is going to be tough. I loved all of those performances, but there are some very promising upcoming performances that will probably block them from a win. 

I don't know if he has tightened his performance, but I found Cariani to be quite good, however, I think Stachel and Benson will slip in over him. (And I hope they both do)

I wish Adam Kantor had some more material. His song was the first time I got full body chills in the theater.

There's no way this isn't winning best score. Period.

kade.ivy Profile Photo
kade.ivy
#120Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/30/17 at 10:15pm

Call_me_jorge said: "I was thinking about this, but are there only five eligible actors this year for best actor in a musical? Like, I can’t think of anyone else. Am I forgetting about a show? "

I was thinking about this a few days ago and can only come up with five eligible actors as well:

Harry Hadden-Paton (My Fair Lady)

Joshua Henry (Carousel)

Paul Alexander Nolan (Escape to Margaritaville)

Tony Shalhoub (The Band’s Visit)

Ethan Slater (Spongebob Squarepants)

Does the Donna Summer show have a male lead? If there are only five, will all five be nominated, or could it be four? 

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#121Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/30/17 at 11:04pm

kade.ivy said: "Call_me_jorge said: "I was thinking about this, but are there only five eligible actors this year for best actor in a musical? Like, I can’t think of anyone else. Am I forgetting about a show? "

I was thinking about this a few days ago and can only come up with five eligible actors as well:

Joshua Henry (Carousel)

Does the Donna Summer show have a male lead? If there are only five, will all five be nominated, or could it be four?
"

Will Bruce be eligible? 

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

kade.ivy Profile Photo
kade.ivy
#122Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/31/17 at 11:26am

I’ve wondered about Bruce. There were rumblings (at least by Riedel) of him getting a Special Tony.

leighmiserables  Profile Photo
leighmiserables
#123Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/31/17 at 2:06pm

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "Issac is great as Daniel, but there's no way he will get nominated for a Tony."

To be fair, that's what most people said about Mike Faist last year. I don't think he's likely to get one over Phillip or Alex, but I wouldn't be shocked if he was nominated. 

Also, re: the person who said Merle Dandridge would get nominated — do you think she would, considering she's leaving so early into the run? 

Broadway61004
#124Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/31/17 at 8:55pm

kade.ivy said: "Call_me_jorge said: "I was thinking about this, but are there only five eligible actors this year for best actor in a musical? Like, I can’t think of anyone else. Am I forgetting about a show? "

Joshua Henry (Carousel)

"

Possibly one of the guys from Frozen?  I mean, they all seem featured to me, but I could see the producers trying to bump one up to leading.

And if there are only five, no, not all five will be nominated.  The same thing happened for Best Actress in a Musical in 2011 (actually, I believe there were 6 eligible then and they still only nominated 4).

Videos