pixeltracker

PARADE On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread- Page 5

PARADE On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#100PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/10/23 at 2:02pm

It appears that frequent JRB collaborator Tom Murray will music direct, which perhaps implies he’ll be conducting this run. 

Oh look, a bibu!

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#101PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/10/23 at 2:03pm

majlawrence said: "TaffyDavenport said: "Oddly, row E center of the mezzanine only has 2 (105-106) of the 14 seats available for the entirety of the run. Not sure what's up with that, but it's strange that those are held back."

Some of the center seats are being held for AMEX holders.
"

Thank you, that explains some of them. So, it's the 4 on either end (101-104 & 111-114) that are unavailable.

Alex M Profile Photo
Alex M
#102PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/10/23 at 2:16pm

TaffyDavenport said: "Alex M said: "TaffyDavenport said: "Oddly, row E center of the mezzanine only has 2 (105-106) of the 14 seats available for the entirety of the run. Not sure what's up with that, but it's strange that those are held back."

Maybe for lottery? or held off for actors families/celebrities.
"

It's the rear mezzanine, so they're definitely not house seats, and I can't see them being lottery seats, either. They'll probably release them later.
"

Misread and thought you said Orch. that is strange 

gibsons2
#103PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/10/23 at 2:21pm

Anyone knows when the box office starts selling the tickets? Thanks.

StageDoor3 Profile Photo
StageDoor3
#104PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/10/23 at 2:27pm

I got into Telecharge both on the phone and online. This may already have been posted - but they told me on the phone that their system crashed this morning because of the overload for Broadway Week, plus Parade and several other shows going on sale. At 2:20 pm EST today, Tuesday, there still appear to be plenty of seats for PARADE, and I got mine for early May. Very excited!  Spring is shaping up to be a fascinating season.

Updated On: 1/10/23 at 02:27 PM

denali.fire Profile Photo
denali.fire
#105PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/10/23 at 2:56pm

I signed in for queque and phoned in at the same time and both connected at the same time so either or it probably doesn't matter.  

FYI, "....momentarily..." means just shy of an hour.  

To seek revenge may lead to hell yet everyone does it but seldom as well......

carolinaguy Profile Photo
carolinaguy
#106PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/10/23 at 3:05pm

Anyone else having massive issues with the Telecharge site today? My laptop won't even bring it up at all and on my phone, it let me sit all the way through the queue and then told me I've broken some rule and I'm not allowed to buy tickets. I promise I didn't do anything but check the performance schedule and then get in line!

Just remembering you've had an "and" When you're back to "or" Makes the "or" mean more than it did before

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#107PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/10/23 at 3:18pm

I had trouble all morning! It was getting to the point of absolute ridiculousness! I told my mother about it and she got in the queue without any problems. She then had no trouble getting tickets. I guess people who were constantly trying to get on were the ones who were shut out. Telecharge needs to fix this so nothing like that happens again or the Shuberts need to find a new ticketing platform.  

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#108PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/10/23 at 3:33pm

The Shubert’s own Telecharge, why would they change it.

Dylan Smith4
#109PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/10/23 at 3:45pm

BroadwayNYC2 said: "The Shubert’s own Telecharge, why would they change it."

Oops, my bad. Did not realize that! Sorry

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

Robbie516
#110PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/10/23 at 3:48pm

I wonder why Gaten chose Sweeney over this? Any thoughts?

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#111PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/10/23 at 3:49pm

BroadwayNYC2 said: "The Shubert’s own Telecharge, why would they change it."

Shubert needs to improve the existing functions of Telecharge. It badly needs an overhaul. It's constantly glitchy and not user-friendly. On the client side of things, DataPulse and the STAR System (which is how producers/GMs/box offices monitor sales) are not user-friendly or intuitive and require a fair amount of training, and also have frequent glitches. With the proliferation of discounting, it makes no sense to have a separate website for discount codes. On top of that it's a bad name; phone sales are practically obsolete these days.

Shubert should also be concerned that, over the past several years, Jujamcyn, Roundabout, and other clients have left Telecharge for other ticketing services. They don't have a competitive product.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZOC2mWbxYg.

Updated On: 1/10/23 at 03:49 PM

Dylan Smith4
#112PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/10/23 at 3:55pm

Robbie516 said: "I wonder why Gaten chose Sweeney over this? Any thoughts?"

He probably committed to Sweeney before it was even known that Parade would transfer. I don't know if that is the case, but that's what I think. 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#113PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/10/23 at 3:58pm

I’m sure COVID or something will ruin it all but I’ve now bought Sweeney Todd, Dear World and Parade. So excited and continued proof of why ‘New York is New York, and [anyone who doesn’t see how special NYC is] you are you’ (Far From Heaven). 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

JoeW4 Profile Photo
JoeW4
#114PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/10/23 at 4:17pm

Robbie516 said: "I wonder why Gaten chose Sweeney over this? Any thoughts?"

In addition to the other post above about the timing, I'd argue Toby is a better role than Frankie. Frankie really gets 3-4 moments to shine, whereas Toby is a fairly prominent presence in Act 2 especially. It's subjective, but I guess Matarazzo had the same thought. And/or he figured he'd go with the role he hasn't yet played, and/or (and this might be the most likely) Sweeney paid more. Or some other reason entirely. 

Broadway61004: "City Center is now competing with themselves at the Tonys (even if they're not directly involved with the transfers, they still want their productions to win to use for future marketing)."

You sort of answered your own (implied) question here. Regardless of what City Center might want, they're no longer in the driver's seat on either of these productions. And neither production was in the position to wait a year to transfer, especially not to accommodate what are now essentially competing producers (i.e. the lead producers of the Into the Woods transfer, and the lead producers of the Parade transfer). 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#115PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/10/23 at 4:31pm

Toby could be a Tony-nominated or even Tony-winning role, is probably the best role outside the two leads and “Not While I’m Around” is one of the few songs from the score that people seem to enjoy out of context, which means it could have a more lasting memory/social media impact and wider reach. In addition to potential pay, commercial longevity, Sondheim prestige, and a new range of hot high-profile industry network contacts right now I think he made the right choice. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

jagman1062 Profile Photo
jagman1062
#116PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/10/23 at 4:43pm

I saw Parade at LCT back in the late 90s and thought it was dreadful. However, based on comments on this site, I am curious to possibly see the show again. If anyone saw both the LCT and CC productions, how would you compare and contrast them? 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#117PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/10/23 at 4:56pm

Also, I bought orchestra Row C without reading earlier comments about the box. PLS TELL ME IT WILL BE OK?? I have sat close to shows before that are tall (Eg next to normal) and don’t mind. As long as I can see faces that’s the main thing that matters. 

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#119PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/10/23 at 5:36pm

if this is a success would it be Jason Robert Brown's first hit ever? i know he hasn't had much financial success with his shows but wasn't sure if he's technically had one that made money

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

melora
#120PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/10/23 at 5:45pm

binau said: "Also, I bought orchestra Row C without reading earlier comments about the box. PLS TELL ME IT WILL BE OK?? I have sat close to shows before that are tall (Eg next to normal) and don’t mind. As long as I can see faces that’s the main thing that matters."

Sitting close at City Center and slightly to the side (we like aisles), we could not see the characters sitting reacting on the other side of the box.  But we could see all the action.  This time I'm getting the mezzanine to see what I missed.  

Dylan Smith4
#121PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/10/23 at 5:52pm

I am happy now that I got Mezzanine seats. Especially Mezzanine Center. 

Dylan Smith4
#122PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/10/23 at 6:05pm

I don't know if he will be in this cast, but I would love to see Antonio Cipriano play Frankie! Here's his rendition of "It Don't Make Sense". Probably my favorite song from this score!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv-WF55Blu4

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#123PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/10/23 at 6:17pm

I hope we get a new album. I love the OBC but I would like the updated score on record.

Dylan Smith4
#124PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/10/23 at 6:23pm

Oh god please let there be an album!

Videos