Tony Snub Gripe Thread

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#100re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/16/06 at 6:10pm

Friedman should have gotten it if for nothing else but going on in the face of adversity

Her performance was dynamite

Poster Emeritus

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#101re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/16/06 at 6:15pm

"I think I may steal a Tony Award and give it to Cyndi."

Bsobw2, I cant agree more. She was amazing and deserved a nomination. Im still pretty fed up with Lestat not getting a lighting nomination but geting a costume nomination. This bothers me deeply. As for Chita I think she shoulda gotten lifetime achivement this year and waited till next year for hal prince. Prince was gurenteed to get one eventually but in a year where chita should have gotten a special engagement tony not a best actress nomination, they should give it to her. Then Prince next year and then in a few years when Bounce re-opens on bway or before that give Sondheim his.

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

bryan
#102re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/16/06 at 6:19pm

what about the odd couple no noms.

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#103re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/16/06 at 6:38pm

Bryan makes a point!

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

neddyfrank2
#104re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/16/06 at 6:40pm

People keep on saying that WIW was snubed. I really thought that they wouldn't get anything, but it didn't it got a nomination for best score, which I must say I was suprised by. Expecting a show that closed to get a bunch of nominations when there are shows that are still running that are just as deserving, and then getting the nominations over the closed show...I don't see as being snubed.

mabel Profile Photo
mabel
#105re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/16/06 at 6:46pm

Sorry, bryan, but I found The Odd Couple (at least when I saw it last month, sans Garrett) to be pretty terrible. Nathan was doing his typical schtick, and Matthew was phoning it in like I've never seen. It wasn't pretty.

But when did New Hampshire become--Such a backward wasteland of seatbelt hating crazies?...I mean, only 40 people actually live there. The others are just visitors who come for the tax-free liquor and three inches of novelty coastline. John Hodgeman on The Daily Show (1-30-07)

lamentingenvelope Profile Photo
lamentingenvelope
#106re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/16/06 at 7:02pm

Lauren Molina & Amy Spanger. How could you snub my girls?

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#107re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/16/06 at 7:21pm

"what about the odd couple no noms."

Oh thats easy - The revival of the Odd Couple wasn't good and Mannered Broderick was terrible.

ThankstoPhantom
#108re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/16/06 at 8:20pm

But the Tonys are for honoring the season as whole. You shouldn't be overlooked because you closed. (I'm talking about WIW)

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#109re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/16/06 at 8:55pm

Suprised by Cherry Jones not getting a nom. Also supirsed about Richard G. Jones not getting a nom. for Lighting Sweeney Todd. I loved the lighting in the show.

Wish any of the featured women from Sweeney got a nom.

Happy Mano did not get snubbed.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

WickedRentHead
#110re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/16/06 at 9:25pm

Im not surprised, but I would have liked to see Merle Dandridge nominated. I havent seen her in Tarzan, nor have I seen any of the actresses who actually did get nominated so I dont know how they compare, but I have heard nothing but wonderful reviews of her from everyone who has seen the show yet, and she is an amazing performer in general. Just my two cents.

I agree also that Cyndi Lauper should have been nominated and while Im at it, throw in Nellie McKay as well.

zepka102 Profile Photo
zepka102
#111re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/16/06 at 9:31pm

Merle is amazing. i figured she wouldn't get a nom, but i hoped she would get some more recognition. i love that woman!

::bust a move::

neddyfrank2
#112re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/16/06 at 9:46pm

I think Tarzan in general should have gotten more nods.

ACTlete676 Profile Photo
ACTlete676
#113re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/16/06 at 9:52pm

Not suprised but sad,
Amanda Peet
Julia Murney
re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread

Who says blondes have more fun on the French Riviera?

zepka102 Profile Photo
zepka102
#114re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/16/06 at 9:54pm

neddyfrank, i say the same, but i'm keeping my mouth shut about it here re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread

theatergeek2
#115re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/16/06 at 10:09pm

Oh boy do I agree about Wedding Singer noms. Yuck! Pathetic! How bad must a theatre season be to have Wedding Singer end up on Best Musical nominations. It had no heart, no soul and terribly miscast leads. What book are they talking about? There is a long, poorly written on the nose sketch that is a one hit joke that lasts and lasts and destroys and hurts people. Stephen Lynch. Two Words. Not funny.

rKrispyt Profile Photo
rKrispyt
#116re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/16/06 at 11:13pm

I'm surprised that Laura Benanti, with her previous nods, didn't get a nomination.

That category is gonna be fierce this year.

Thinking on it further...there were a lot of strong actors/actresses this season - when you look at this list and then who didn't make the cut...lots of big names, respected actors...snap.

If I show you the darkness I hold inside, will you bring me to light?

zepka102 Profile Photo
zepka102
#117re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/16/06 at 11:18pm

i really think if ANYONE deserved a nomination from Wedding Singer, it IS Amy Spanger. Stephen was good, but i don't think he stood out as amazing to me.

neddyfrank2
#118re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/16/06 at 11:24pm

Zepka- It seems as if there are VERY few of us who feel this way.

JJPeachum2 Profile Photo
JJPeachum2
#119re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/17/06 at 7:01am

GYPSY1527, I'm with you! It is BULL that Maria Friedman was snubbed! After this year (surving breast cancer and carrying a crap show on her shoulders) the least the American Theatre Wing could have done would have been to reward her with a nomination.

bwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
#120re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/17/06 at 7:21am

I'm too lazy to scroll back up and see who wrote this, but I just wanted to say that it's sweet that someone is still naive enough to think that the Tonys are about honoring shows from all season and not a big marketing tool for Broadway. re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#121re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/17/06 at 7:48am

well said bwaysinger! and yes, Amy Spanger deserved a nomination and the award!

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

Harpo Profile Photo
Harpo
#122re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/17/06 at 8:55am

Bwaysinger, I understand what you are saying, but Judy Kaye was nominated for a show that closed in early January, so the marketing angle doesn't apply completely.

Ms. Kaye was great in her role and I'm glad she is being recognized. But Ms. Friedman was wonderful as well.

whatacharacter Profile Photo
whatacharacter
#123re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/17/06 at 11:23am

Out with Sutton Foster(it's a supporting role!): In with Nellie McKay
Out with Beth Leavel: In with Cyndi Lauper
Out with Carolee Carmello: In with Amy Spanger
Out with Harry Connick: In with Josh Strickland
Out with Chita: In with Maria Friedman
Jonathan Price as Best Replacement!

Then, I would be satisfied!

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#124re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/17/06 at 11:29am

I liked Amy Spanger more than the overrated Felicia P. Fields, but that's not saying much.

Very happy that the Tony's were smart and nearly completely snubbed TARZAN.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Videos