pixeltracker

MEAN GIRLS Movie Musical - News & Discussion Thread- Page 6

MEAN GIRLS Movie Musical - News & Discussion Thread

Jonathan Cohen Profile Photo
Jonathan Cohen
#125MEAN GIRLS Movie Musical - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/19/23 at 1:20am

verywellthensigh said: "The January release date speaks volumes. Ah, well. People forgot all about the Valley Girl musical remake, they can forget about this, too."

The January release is actually a promotion. The film originally was supposed to debut on Paramount+ without a theatrical window. Paramount thought enough of what they were seeing to give it a theatrical run. 

In terms of the Valley Girl musical, I can't disagree it was forgettable. I saw it and literally can't remember a second of it. However, the movie that was supposed to get a theatrical release and didn't because of the 2020 lockdown. I'm sure that didn't help either.  

Tom5
#126MEAN GIRLS Movie Musical - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/19/23 at 1:33am

If the songs are catchy and the witty clips in the trailer can be melded into an engaging story with a beginning, middle and end (not detectable yet) it can be very successful.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#127MEAN GIRLS Movie Musical - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/9/24 at 12:27am

Does anyone know when the review embargo lifts? Surprised there hasn’t been anything I’ve seen online. 

Jonathan Cohen
#128MEAN GIRLS Movie Musical - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/9/24 at 12:39am

I just got back from the "Pink Carpet" premiere, and wanted to share some hopefully spoiler-free thoughts on the movie: 

• On the whole, cutting a bunch of songs from the Broadway version makes it a narratively a stronger, more streamline story. I personally still prefer the Broadway version, because that bloat meant more Barrett Wilbert Weed and Ashley Park but it's clear no version of this story should be more than 90 minutes. 
  • When Regina George first came onscreen there was a audible gasp from the audience at how hot Reneé Rapp looked, primarily from women in the audience.  
  • Reneé Rapp is flirting with everyone in the movie. At one point she was flirting with Busy Philipps, who plays her mother. 
  • Damian, Janis, and Tina Fey's teacher are a little more fleshed out compared to previous version of the story. Gretchen Wieners and Karen are a little less fleshed out.
  • Much like Evan Hansen in Dear Evan Hansen, I thought Cady was the least interesting character in the story. I did not feel that way watching the original movie or Broadway version. Because Janis and Regina have a better backstory here, I would have preferred watching them fight it out more directly, without Cady being the focus.     

hearthemsing22
#129MEAN GIRLS Movie Musical - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/9/24 at 9:30am

Jonathan Cohen said: "I just got back from the "Pink Carpet" premiere, and wanted to share some hopefully spoiler-free thoughts on the movie:

• On the whole, cutting a bunch of songs from the Broadway version makes it a narratively a stronger, more streamline story. I personally still prefer the Broadway version, because that bloat meant more Barrett Wilbert Weed and Ashley Park but it's clear no version of this story should be more than 90 minutes.
  • When Regina George first came onscreen there was a audible gasp from the audience at how hot Reneé Rapp looked, primarily from women in the audience.
  • Reneé Rapp is flirting with everyone in the movie. At one point she was flirting withBusy Philipps, who plays her mother.
  • Damian, Janis, and Tina Fey's teacher are a little more fleshed out compared to previous version of the story. Gretchen Wieners and Karen are a little less fleshed out.
  • Much like Evan Hansen in Dear Evan Hansen, I thought Cady was the least interesting character in the story. I did not feel that way watching the original movie or Broadway version. Because Janis and Regina have a better backstory here, I would have preferred watching them fight it out more directly, without Cady being the focus.

"

WHOA BARRETT MAKES AN APPEARANCE IN THE MOVIE????

Jonathan Cohen
#130MEAN GIRLS Movie Musical - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/9/24 at 9:40am

hearthemsing22 said: "Jonathan Cohen said: "

• On the whole, cutting a bunch of songs from the Broadway version makes it a narratively a stronger, more streamline story. I personally still prefer the Broadway version, because that bloat meant more Barrett Wilbert Weed and Ashley Park but it's clear no version of this story should be more than 90 minutes"

Sorry if I didn't write that clear enough, I was saying the Broadway version is too long, but I still preferred it that way because it meant more time getting to watch Barrett Wilbert Weed and Ashley Park. Weed is not in the movie, Park has the cameo teased in the ads. There's at least one big cameo from the original movie not teased in the ads.

hearthemsing22
#131MEAN GIRLS Movie Musical - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/9/24 at 9:44am

Jonathan Cohen said: "hearthemsing22 said: "Jonathan Cohen said: "

• On the whole, cutting a bunch of songs from the Broadway version makes it a narratively a stronger, more streamline story. I personally still prefer the Broadway version, because that bloat meant more Barrett Wilbert Weed and Ashley Park but it's clear no version of this story should be more than 90 minutes"

Sorry if I didn't write that clear enough, I was saying the Broadway version is too long, but I still preferred it that way because it meant more time getting to watch Barrett Wilbert Weed and Ashley Park. Weed is not in the movie, Park has the cameo teased in the ads. There's at least one big cameo from the original movie not teased in the ads.
"

I fully freaked out for a minute. Sorry for the misunderstanding! 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#132MEAN GIRLS Movie Musical - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/9/24 at 10:44am

jacobsnchz14 said: "Does anyone know when the review embargo lifts? Surprised there hasn’t been anything I’ve seen online."

The review embargo lifts tomorrow morning. 

Oh look, a bibu!

KevinKlawitter
#133MEAN GIRLS Movie Musical - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/10/24 at 9:42am

First batch of reviews: 61 with 13 reviews on Metacritic, 71% on Rottentomatoes with 21 reviews

Updated On: 1/10/24 at 09:42 AM

Rentaholic2
#134MEAN GIRLS Movie Musical - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/10/24 at 10:35am

Jonathan Cohen said: "There's at least one big cameo from the original movie not teased in the ads."

Thank you for attempting to keep it a surprise, unlike BWW, who spilled the beans in a homepage headline  indecision

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#135MEAN GIRLS Movie Musical - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/10/24 at 11:03am

Respectable 70% among top critics so far. 

Oh look, a bibu!

Jonathan Cohen
#136MEAN GIRLS Movie Musical - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/10/24 at 11:09am

Rentaholic2 said: "Jonathan Cohen said: "There's at least one big cameo from the original movie not teased in the ads."

Thank you for attempting to keep it a surprise, unlike BWW, who spilled the beans in a homepage headlineindecision"

Lol, I noticed that too. Prefacing an article with a spoiler warning is completely useless, if the spoiler is in the article headline.  

KevinKlawitter
#137MEAN GIRLS Movie Musical - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/10/24 at 11:27am

Jonathan Cohen said: "Rentaholic2 said: "Jonathan Cohen said: "There's at least one big cameo from the original movie not teased in the ads."

Thank you for attempting to keep it a surprise, unlike BWW, who spilled the beans in a homepage headlineindecision"

Lol, I noticed that too. Prefacing an article with a spoiler warning is completely useless, if the spoiler is in the article headline.
"

BWW does seem to have a nasty habit of spoiling cameos in movies with headlines. They did the same thing with Glass Onion.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#138MEAN GIRLS Movie Musical - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/10/24 at 11:50pm

Did anyone attend the Wednesday early access screenings?

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#139MEAN GIRLS Movie Musical - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/11/24 at 3:12am

An absolute awful viewing experience, full of unlikeable characters with songs that stop the awful story dead. Nothing memorable about this, never saw the stage show, doesn’t make ever what see it. Hated every long never ending minute. 
Happy for those that got something out of this. 

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

QueenTwinnied
#140MEAN GIRLS Movie Musical - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/11/24 at 6:23am

A. You said you never saw the stage show so that speaks for itself. lol. 

B. I’m assuming this movie is way out of your age range, and that’s okay. Retire with dignity. Let us Gen Z enjoy it without your ugly, outdated critiques that mean nothing. 

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#141MEAN GIRLS Movie Musical - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/11/24 at 6:58am

jacobsnchz14 said: "Did anyone attend the Wednesday early access screenings?"

I did!

Honestly, as a millennial who is devoted to the original and didn’t see the stage show, I actually enjoyed it quite a bit.

My main critiques were that Angourie Rice’s voice was a little thin at times and the editing with the musical numbers was a bit rough around the edges, but overall I think they succeeded in accomplishing the otherwise Herculean task of respecting the original film, integrating the stage show, and creating something entirely new as their own entry into the movie musical pantheon.

The highlights were Jaquel Spivey and Auli’i Cravalho - who I thought had crackling comedic chemistry as Janis and Damian. Also, OH MY GOD, RENEÉ RAPP ATE IT UP. Like, she is one of those singular talents that come around once in a generation. If the movie came out a month ago, she would very likely be up for a Golden Globe right now. What a debut! 

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

bryan2
#142MEAN GIRLS Movie Musical - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/11/24 at 9:39am

A. You said you never saw the stage show so that speaks for itself. lol. 

B. I’m assuming this movie is way out of your age range, and that’s okay. Retire with dignity. Let us Gen Z enjoy it without your ugly, outdated critiques that mean nothing. 

I am 67 and I loved the musical and thought Renee on Broadway was a revelation. To assume a retired person like myself cannot enjoy or "get" this because I am OLD is   quite honestly ageist and stupid. Hopefully you will grow as old as me and have a great life and will realize this when you do grow up

Updated On: 1/11/24 at 09:39 AM

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#143MEAN GIRLS Movie Musical - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/11/24 at 10:27am

QueenTwinnied said: "A. You said you never saw the stage show so that speaks for itself. lol.

"

What does seeing the stage show have to do with seeing the new movie? I saw both and thought both were quite dreadful.

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#144MEAN GIRLS Movie Musical - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/11/24 at 11:11am

“ Let us Gen Z enjoy it without your ugly, outdated critiques that mean nothing.”

This is really going to get you far

musicalfandukie Profile Photo
musicalfandukie
#145MEAN GIRLS Movie Musical - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/11/24 at 11:59am

Streaming the soundtrack now with a VPN. I'm not loving the new arraignments at all. They sucked the life out of some of the songs trying to make them sound more like mainstream pop songs. I get that the music was already heavily influenced by pop but they have stripped all the theatrical elements right out of the songs. Someone Gets Hurt sounds like a Billie Eilish song now. I'd rather be Me just feels one note. The tempo has been slowed down for "I See Stars" and  Angourie Rice is a good singer but her vocals lack energy/power in that song. "What Ifs" is kind of bland, Not as good as It Roars. All the songs have been toned down and feel less theatrical (except for the ending of World Burn). Maybe I'll end up getting use to the new sound but these songs sound miles different than the stage show. The songs might also sound better in the context of the movie.

Updated On: 1/11/24 at 11:59 AM

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#146MEAN GIRLS Movie Musical - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/11/24 at 8:27pm

I agree with the above, the life and character of these songs have had the life sucked from them. I think Apex Predator is a superb song, the dark tone, almost bond like (a running theme in the musical) is largely gone, apart from in When Someone Gets Hurt, we get a brief moment. 

The songs they kept for the film are good choices, but they are constantly tripped up by the generic sounding arrangements. 

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#147MEAN GIRLS Movie Musical - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/11/24 at 9:02pm

I just came from a screening. I liked it, but I still prefer the stage version better.

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

As someone who has seen the show on Broadway twice, I really didn't like that some good songs, like "Fearless" and "It Roars," were cut from the film. I also prefer the original orchestrations for "Someone Gets Hurt" and "World Burn." Now, that being said, the cast did an outstanding job, but no one could deliver as well as Renee! My god! That woman is high-class and talented! I actually liked her Regina in the film more than on stage. Also, I was not expecting the cameo from Lindsay Lohan, so that was a major plus! Overall, I like how they updated the themes for today's audiences. Hopefully, more people will get to enjoy it, but frankly, you would have a better understanding if you saw the stage show first. I will gladly see it again!

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#148MEAN GIRLS Movie Musical - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/11/24 at 9:04pm

Just got back from the movie, and wow this was terrible. Everyone is SO dull. The songs really just aren’t good (minus a few), they’ve forced too much PC diversity (don’t get me wrong, diversity is good, but this feels SO phony), and truly everyone just sleep-walks their way through this except for Renee Rapp who seems like a real-life Regina George (and I’m not sure if that’s a total compliment). Oof.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#149MEAN GIRLS Movie Musical - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/11/24 at 11:57pm

I loathed this onstage, from the jokes to the score, and thought Nicholaw's production paled in comparison to the original film.

So I was kind of surprised to like the musical better on screen than on stage. Maybe I've come around to it a bit since 2018. The cast is very winning (mostly) and I found it a fun & breezy way to spend two hours. Jacquel Spivey and Auli'i Cravalho were the standouts for me, even more than Renee.

It's not a GREAT musical, and this film is no work of art. But I'm certainly glad they put it in theaters instead of on streaming.

Updated On: 1/11/24 at 11:57 PM

Videos