pixeltracker

Julie Benko as Fanny - Funny Girl- Page 6

Julie Benko as Fanny - Funny Girl

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#125Julie Benko as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 5/1/22 at 4:28pm

I believe Feldstein is contracted thru the first week of January. 

Will this hubbub around Benko pass? Somewhat. The show is selling well and once these 4 performances are in the rear view mirror, the Feldstein Fanny remains the one people debate. What disappears: the “so she’s not Streisand” defense. Benko isn’t either but her success has halted the narrative that the show has been reminted with a comedy forward interpretative frame. A talented triple threat has demonstrated that it was never a simple binary choice: megastar Barbra vs Beanie. Plenty of non-Streisands can ignite a still less than perfect musical. That will nip at the heels of this production. And the looming second set of absences - which will sell out, perhaps even soon - will not help the casting.

Let’s see how Feldstein manages the 8 shows a week load - which technically she’s only accomplished two weeks out of the run. It’s a helluva demanding role.  It’s not impossible to imagine Benko moving to a Klausner or Donna Murphy position. The show could thus launch two young performers - resetting the post-Streisand narrative in entirely positive terms - give consumers an option, and everyone wins. But the star won’t quit and won’t be released. 

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 5/1/22 at 04:28 PM

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#126Julie Benko as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 5/1/22 at 4:31pm

She most likely has a 6 month contact and will be gone by September. Im also waiting for her to pull a Ben Platt and perform 5 shows a week and the other three can be done by the understudy or standby. That will happen pretty soon, Im sure. 

rg7759
#127Julie Benko as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 5/1/22 at 4:37pm

She would tell 'keep arnsteins name out yo fu$@in mouth'

JasonC3
#128Julie Benko as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 5/1/22 at 4:51pm

probably also worth noting that a very small percentage of people are doing such a deep dive into these narratives about the show's star

Azúcar!
#129Julie Benko as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 5/1/22 at 4:54pm

JasonC3 said: "probably also worth noting that a very small percentage of people are doing such a deep dive into these narratives about the show's star"

You haven’t been on tiktok. But yeah.

Sutton Ross
#130Julie Benko as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 5/1/22 at 4:56pm

That's not true at all. When tons of people are talking about Julie and how much better she was than Beanie, people do take notice. A lot of people. 

MarkieSunshine Profile Photo
MarkieSunshine
#131Julie Benko as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 5/1/22 at 10:33pm

Julie is a friend of mine and I wish I could see her in this role. She deserves every ounce of success. She is such a wonderful human being. I hope she gets to take over the role full-time when the time is right.

Love makes the world go round

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#132Julie Benko as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 5/1/22 at 10:47pm

Sutton Ross said: "That's not true at all. When tons of people are talking about Julie and how much better she was than Beanie, people do take notice. A lot of people."

Alas, there aren't tons. Just a small set of snarky online obsessives, And Broadway's producers aren't turning to them for advice.

No knock on Benko's talents, or on how much she may deserve the role, intended.

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#133Julie Benko as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 5/1/22 at 11:18pm

Julie Benko is aware that she's is being praised here on Broadway World.

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#134Julie Benko as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 5/2/22 at 1:06am

joevitus said: "Sutton Ross said: "That's not true at all. When tons of people are talking about Julie and how much better she was than Beanie, people do take notice. A lot of people."

Alas, there aren't tons. Just a small set of snarky online obsessives, And Broadway's producers aren't turning to them for advice.

No knock on Benko's talents, or on how much she may deserve the role, intended.
"

Ah, there she is: joevirus...always on brand = MAF

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#135Julie Benko as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 5/2/22 at 1:35pm

Interesting take from All That Chat on Julie Benko's performance as it compares to Beanie Feldstein's:

https://www.talkinbroadway.com/allthatchat_new/d.php?id=2538507

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#136Julie Benko as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 5/2/22 at 6:29pm

Oh, I don’t agree that the Tony Awards won’t honor swings/understudies. I would bet on them getting a very special honor. 

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#137Julie Benko as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 5/2/22 at 6:46pm

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Broadway cover is one of the major themes of this year’s Tonys, woven throughout the show. It’s been discussed thus in several threads all season. 

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#138Julie Benko as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 5/2/22 at 7:33pm

Auggie27 said: "I wouldn’t be surprised if the Broadway cover is one of the major themes of this year’s Tonys, woven throughout the show. It’s been discussed thus in several threads all season."

That would be nice.  It certainly would be a wasted opportunity if they didn't.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#139Julie Benko as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 5/2/22 at 8:19pm

I haven’t seen it discussed here that Beanie was out to be a bridesmaid in her best friends wedding.

Now, I could be wrong, but if it were any other actress in no way would the production let them get the weekend off just for a wedding. I’m not saying Beanie shouldn’t have gone, but I just found it so peculiar that the show would let her out of the show for it. Especially in the run up the Tonys.

Think about all the weddings missed by Broadway performers or the amount of weddings that had to be scheduled on mondays due to the bride and grooms Broadway schedules? Seems like Beanie has a very lenient employer.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#140Julie Benko as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 5/2/22 at 8:43pm

The absence was announced well in advance, for what was supposed to be after the Tony nominating period and before the Tony voting period. If she had to miss, this was the perfect weekend. NOBODY attended expecting to see Beanie unless they just didn't read the ticketing page. The performances weren't canceled because she's not a Daniel Craig or Hugh Jackman-level name.

If people need to miss a day –– or two, or seven –– that's fine. Star actors have prescheduled absences all the time for varying reasons. Sometimes they cancel the performance, sometimes they don't. One of the big points of discussion since the reopening has been equitability, and employers being more flexible for days off is part of that. Even when you're above the title.

Updated On: 5/2/22 at 08:43 PM

Penna2
#141Julie Benko as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 5/2/22 at 9:36pm

Considering the less than stunning reviews Beanie received. I would imagine the producers might be very interested. I also believe they were in the audience, so, unless they are deaf and blind, they can see the difference between the two actresses.

As an aside, there were two video/audios on YouTube this morning (His is the Only Music That Makes Me Dance and DROMP) and one (that I could find) on Twitter (People). All of them have been removed. YouTube noted copyright issues. 

Updated On: 5/2/22 at 09:36 PM

OceansJenny Profile Photo
OceansJenny
#142Julie Benko as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 5/2/22 at 10:44pm

Got my tickets for August - thank you friends!

Sutton Ross
#143Julie Benko as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 5/2/22 at 11:34pm

Enjoy the brilliant Julie, babe! 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#144Julie Benko as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 5/2/22 at 11:39pm

latitudex1 said: "She's entitled to a scheduled vacation, yes. And disrespectful to whom? These absences were announced (and approved of) well in advance. I'm sensing some entitlement, but not on Beanie's side."

People somehow seem to be conflating this with actors missing performances unannounced.

Few people were complaining when Bette Midler had 4 weeks of preannounced vacations + only 7 perfs a week during her 9-month run. And people reported on what sounded like vocal fatigue and unrehearsed performance "embellishments" as her run went on and on.

You'll recall that NETWORK shut down for a full week so Bryan Cranston could have time off (the exact same time period as Beanie's absence - week ending May 5, 2019).

MUSIC MAN isn't onsale for Hugh's weeklong absences right now (in August, September, and October).

Stars take time off. It happens. By all accounts, the audiences were in better hands with Julie than Beanie (I liked Beanie, haven't seen Julie yet) so it's kind of hilarious that the convo is even happening.

Updated On: 5/2/22 at 11:39 PM

Sutton Ross
#145Julie Benko as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 5/6/22 at 12:39pm

soxboy22 said: "Sutton Ross said: "Ever have one of those perfect New York City evenings where you have an amazing dinner, watch a woman become a star right before your eyes, and then have delicious cocktails afterwards with your favorite people? Well, that happened to me last night and I feel incredibly grateful for all of it.

I adored this show! The audience was buzzing and super excited for all of it, lots of joyful noise so to speak. I loved the direction but I think this will forever have a weak book, even though Harvey did his best to make it a little better. And the choreo for the non tap numbers was a bit boring.

But everything else?!?! My GOD! Jared is the most talented tap dancer I have ever seen live. He is electric in the role and I wish they gave him more to do. I love Jane Lynch in everything and I think she's perfectly cast here. I love Ramin in everything so I missed him last night, but Jeremiah was strong in book scenes, good looking enough and he has a great voice. The lighting and sound were perfect as well.

Then there is Julie. This luminous, brilliant woman became a star last night. She was funny, charming, sharp and that voice? That is how the score is supposed to sound.Highlights for me (no suprise) were "People" and "Don't Rain on my Parade". I saw her become a DIVA as the show progresses and it was compeletely believable, authentic and thrilling. The audience just loved her and I think saw what I was seeing. How lucky were we all to witness this.

A star is born, you guys! And she is FABULOUS!!!!heart

OMG, Sutton, you and KitKatBoy are killing me. I can’t see Julie this weekend, but I believe I’m not going to have to wait until August for her to appear with Ramin.

Thank you for your review, I have chills!.

Somehow I missed this lovely comment. You're very welcome, I'm glad I could sum up what I was feeling. And no, you will definitely not have to wait until August to see her again. Hopefully, more and more people will be seeing Julie again soon! heart

Penna2
#146Julie Benko as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 5/6/22 at 8:32pm

I can't imagine they are going to leave such a gem in her dressing room doing the show every night. I was only able to hear her sing 3 songs before they were pulled from YouTube and Twitter, but what a difference. Maybe 5 and 3...or Beanie will break a toe or something?

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#147Julie Benko as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 5/14/22 at 2:38pm

I saw Julie Benko on 5/1 and she is far better and can sing. Actually, she sounded better live than the recorded youtube: solid acting if a bit scattered coupled with comedic chops if channeling Barbra from a trained singer that can pretty much handle the score but is was only her 4th performance.  Enjoyed the show but did not love it! For the 1st revival of Funny Girl, I found nothing magical about it and charmless. I blame the Producers and Director for their choices from casting, staging to design. The direction is poor laking vigor, musical staging uninspiring other than the tap sequences with the terrific dancer Jared Grimes. Jane Lynch is playing Jane but it seems to work ok. Jared is one of the highlights along with Julie. Orchestrations sound terrific and credible for only 14 pieces.Set is ugly and having to stare at the center stage brick cylinder when closed becomes tiresome alongside with those  glass panels - staircases in addition to the dull lighting design.  As for the costumes, they are the biggest design disappointment except for a few dresses for Fannie are simply bland and hideous.Just look how gorgeous the costumes are for Music Man, and the past revivals of Hello Dolly, Kiss Me Kate, My Fair Lady, On The Town , On The 20th Century and especially Anything Goes - what happened Susan Hilferty? Ensemble is just average no one stands out. Julie also had great chemistry with the suave and handsome Jeremiah James as Nick also a great and powerful singer if a bit wooden in the acting scenes. Their duets: You Are Woman, I Am Man and Who Are You Now, were the highlights of the evening along with Julie's powerful DROMP and the beautifully sung People and especially The Music That Makes Me Dance...something she should record on her next album! Don't miss Julie when she's on again in August 26-28! Julie's DROMP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxhd71kvsVM&list=RD-YUBE-xzdZs&index=2  Seeing the show w/ Beanie and Ramin at the end of the month - excited for Ramin but no so much Beanie.

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 5/15/22 at 02:38 PM

Dollypop
#148Julie Benko as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 5/14/22 at 2:48pm

Here's an idea:

To honor the swings and understudies at this year's Tony Award ceremonies, the musical numbers are introduced by the actual stars bit performed by the swings and understudies. 

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#149Julie Benko as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 5/14/22 at 3:16pm

Here is the fabulous Linda Gerard singing “I’m the Greatest Star.”  She replaced Lainie Kazan in early 1965, who was Streisand’s original standby in FUNNY GIRL.  She also was Mimi Hine’s standby for a large part of her run.

https://streamable.com/1066r7

Videos