INTO THE WOODS Reviews

Jilani
#125INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/21/22 at 8:24pm

Sara and Gavin were both out when I saw it last night (7/20), as well as tonight apparently.  Any intel appreciated, as I definitely want to go back again and see them in this.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#126INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/21/22 at 8:26pm

Gavin is out for a few weeks. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#127INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/21/22 at 8:44pm

Bareilles hopes to be back tomorrow - to my knowledge, she does not have COVID. 

Oh look, a bibu!

ImAProphet
#128INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/21/22 at 8:59pm

Gavin's leave of absence wasn't supposed to start until Sunday, but I guess at this point he's probably not coming back before then.

ChiDoc
#129INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/21/22 at 10:01pm

TaffyDavenport said: "It would be great if Heather Headley could return after she's done filming Sweet Magnolias."

I flew to New York to see this production a couple weeks ago.  And I hate that I know I would do it again to see Heather Headley.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#130INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/21/22 at 10:26pm

Musicaldudepeter said: "What are people thinking about this production's chances at the 2023 Tonys? Is this production eligible? What noms do you think it may get? I'm assuming it won't be in with a chance of winning any (if it's eligible) because we've learned that shows early in the season might as well *not* be eligible... Thoughts?"

At last month's Tony Awards, we saw most of the play categories dominated by shows that already completed their runs months beforehand. Meanwhile, all of the musical categories were won by shows that were still running.

Rumpelstiltskin Profile Photo
Rumpelstiltskin
#131INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/22/22 at 7:23am

I don’t want Sara to leave, ever, but assuming the inevitable I hope the casting director has Megan Hilty’s telephone number.

Updated On: 7/26/22 at 07:23 AM

Dave13 Profile Photo
Dave13
#132INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/22/22 at 11:53am

I have tickets Saturday night. Is anyone expected to be out? I see the rumor Gavin is out, but officially he is on leave beginning Sunday. Sure hope Sara is in. I have had bad luck seeing her live. 

Not to be confused with Dave19.

Scott Stephen
#133INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/22/22 at 7:41pm

Gavin Creel appears to be in tonight.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#134INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/23/22 at 1:58pm

ChiDoc said: "TaffyDavenport said: "It would be great if Heather Headley could return after she's done filming Sweet Magnolias."

I flew to New York to see this production a couple weeks ago. And I hate that I know I would do it again to see Heather Headley.
"

If this is extending, I'd immediately buy a ticket if Headley comes back.

Still nothing official, so hopefully there's some news next week.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Hairspray0901
#135INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/23/22 at 2:08pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Gavin is out for a few weeks."

Gavin was back last night and is also back for the matinee. I believe his official absence starts tomorrow or after tomorrows show. 

theatrekid3302
#136INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/23/22 at 2:39pm

Hairspray0901 said: "Jordan Catalano said: "Gavin is out for a few weeks."

Gavin was back last night and is also back for the matinee. I believe his official absence starts tomorrow or after tomorrows show.
"

Is Sara there?

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#137INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/23/22 at 2:49pm

theatrekid3302 said: "Hairspray0901 said: "Jordan Catalano said: "Gavin is out for a few weeks."

"

Is Sara there?
"

No, Mary Kate Moore is on for the Baker’s Wife once again. 

Oh look, a bibu!

alexidarling15
#138INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/23/22 at 3:51pm

Can anyone report — How is Mary Kate Moore? I have tickets for tomorrow and am debating some kind of exchange if Sara is out. 

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#139INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/23/22 at 4:04pm

alexidarling15 said: "Can anyone report — How is Mary Kate Moore? I have tickets for tomorrow and am debating some kind of exchange if Sara is out."

I saw her on Thursday. She's not bad but she's not nearly as good as Sara. Her voice is a bit weak and she's not as funny and earthy as Sara. The Baker's Wife sort of took a backseat whenever Moore was onstage.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#140INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/23/22 at 4:20pm

alexidarling15 said: "Can anyone report — How is Mary Kate Moore? I have tickets for tomorrow and am debating some kind of exchange if Sara is out."

I haven't seen Mary Kate Moore, but I have seen the show, and I wouldn't want to see it without Sara. Just get a refund, and pick another date if she's out. The extension is also coming, so there will likely be even more opportunities to see her.

Updated On: 7/23/22 at 04:20 PM

OuttaTowner
#141INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/23/22 at 5:50pm

Just out of the matinee. Sara out, Gavin in. Mary Kate was fine, but no Sara. As someone mentioned, in her incarnation, the Baker’s Wife came off more as a supporting character. For me, the highlights were Gavin, Joshua and a charming, funny Phillipa. Someone hand Gavin the supporting Tony now. A preening, hilarious delight. Kennedy Kanazawa should get a special statue for his puppet erring. The weakest link IMO was Patina. A mostly angry, strident one note performance - others, including Bernadette, found shards of humor. Not much for this Witch. The audience was hooting up a storm like they were at a Springsteen concert - very odd. Otherwise, a lively afternoon at the St. James. 

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#142INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/23/22 at 6:39pm

ACL2006 said: "ChiDoc said: "TaffyDavenport said: "It would be great if Heather Headley could return after she's done filming Sweet Magnolias."

I flew to New York to see this production a couple weeks ago. And I hate that I know I would do it again to see Heather Headley.
"

"

Heather was really something special.  Patina is very good, but Heather made me forget Joanna Gleason’s definitive performance. I have three performances booked for the current run but would gladly see it again with her. 

Theatrefanboy1
#143INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/23/22 at 7:22pm

Well if these rumours are true of an extension. If there is any turn over of cast. I would hope it would look something like- 

Baker - Brian Darcy James

Bakers Wife - Sara Bareilles

Witch* - Heather Headley or Patti LuPone (a quick turn over from Company)

Cinderella* - Phillips Soo or Denee Benton 

Cinderellas Prince* - Gavin Creel or Cheyenne Jackson comes back for longer run

JasonC3
#144INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/23/22 at 7:30pm

I love me some LuPone, but I can't quite imagine the lyrical intricacies of some of the Witch's numbers surviving her diction.

Updated On: 7/23/22 at 07:30 PM

ashley0139
#145INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/23/22 at 7:31pm

Sara is out of the evening performance as well. Bought tickets the day they went on sale and made a special trip to nyc and had to return them. I’m here for the week so hoping she will be back soon.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#146INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/23/22 at 7:35pm

Play Esq. said: "ACL2006 said: "ChiDoc said: "TaffyDavenport said: "It would be great if Heather Headley could return after she's done filming Sweet Magnolias."

"

"

Heather was really something special. Patina is very good, but Heather made me forgetJoanna Gleason’s definitive performance. I have three performances booked for the current run but would gladly see it again with her.
"

Bernadette played the witch in the OBC. Gleason was Baker's Wife.

thoroughlymodernbilly
#147INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/23/22 at 7:38pm

Not to be completely insufferable, but I saw Mary Kate today: She’s not good, she’s not bad, she’s just nice. Granted, to my knowledge, she’s only had a few performances under her belt as the Baker’s Wife, but she really does fade to the background as others have said. I really missed Sara’s warmth and humor today, particularly where they “buy” Milky White with the beans. Mary Kate rushes through many of the jokes and didn’t get nearly as many laughs as Sara. But she tees up her co-stars just fine and her “Moments in the Woods” was genuinely lovely. 

So yes, if you live in the area and have an option to exchange tickets, I would wait to see Sara. Otherwise, it’s worth seeing for the rest of the stellar cast, with my personal MVPs being Phillipa, Joshua and Julia. (As many have said, Patina is the weak link and made me really miss Heather!) 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#148INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/23/22 at 11:05pm

Absolutely no to LuPone joining this.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#149INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/23/22 at 11:16pm

The cherry on top of all this acclaim would be a Featured Actor nom for Kanagawa, since there is no category for puppetry. 

We all know this revival could very well get a slew of Tony nods (which is now more of a likelihood given the soon-to-be-announced extension), but one for Kanagawa would be a well-deserved treat.  

Oh look, a bibu!

Videos