pixeltracker

Dear Evan Hansen Previews- Page 7

Dear Evan Hansen Previews

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#150Dear Evan Hansen Previews
Posted: 11/18/16 at 4:45pm

neonlightsxo said: "dramamama611 said: "Are you saying you DO think DEH is the best new show?"

Yeah.

"

And I wasn't judging you (I love the show), I just wanted to clarify.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

HSky
#151Dear Evan Hansen Previews
Posted: 11/18/16 at 5:16pm

To throw my two cents in,

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

Although Jared is right to call him out on the personal reasons (Zoe, feeling like he's part of a "traditional" family) for perpetuating the lie, I don't think he's always selfishly driven and I see his actions in a more sympathetic light. Many of Evan's actions are prompted by any sign that the Murphy family is on the verge of splitting apart, which is put into context as we find out about Evan's dad moving out and paying more attention to his kids with his current wife. Evan is almost on the verge of explaining the letter in the principal's office but can't bear to when he sees Cynthia break down and the comfort she's getting from a letter indicating Connor had a friend. He breaks out into "For Forever" in the middle of the argument over whether or not there are good things to remember about Connor. (There are hints about his creativity and ability to write re: college application essays, so I particularly feel that song is like a creative writing essay in song designed to appease the Murphys but the unintended consequence is it starts constructing the fantasy world around himself as well.) "Words Fail" comes in the middle of a similar fight amongst the Murphys. 

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#152Dear Evan Hansen Previews
Posted: 11/18/16 at 5:17pm

Hmmm. 

If the stage is really high, maybe I should try for a mezzanine seat? Is it a decent view up there at the Music Box? I've only sat in the orchestra...

Not at all familiar with this show. I just want to make sure I don't mind anything. Lights, projections, or otherwise.

HSky
#153Dear Evan Hansen Previews
Posted: 11/18/16 at 6:47pm

Sit further back or in the mezzanine if you want the full stage view with the projections. 

nycward
#154Dear Evan Hansen Previews
Posted: 11/18/16 at 11:00pm

Okay. So as a former Stage Director who is currently a practicing Psychotherapist here in NYC I guess I should way in on the generalized nature of Evan's illness. I saw the show at Second Stage and count me in as a fan. The piece broke my heart and Ben Platt's performance was emotionally wrenching. For awhile I was trying to diagnose his condition but realized that in the theatrical context of the show it really wasn't necessary. Are there aspects of Aspergers? Sure. But adolescence can be a rough road on the still developing psyche. This young man is an introvert who obviously has some form of generalized anxiety disorder. He is coping with a parent who is overwhelmed and not really there for him when it counts. Frankly he demonstrated some traits of a variety of diagnoses. I was comfortable with his hybrid of disorders since frankly we are forced to diagnose strictly for insurance purposes when in reality it is a very inexact science. I have met a number of young men and women like him and all were unique in their presentation of symptoms. This boy is lonely and suffering greatly. He wants to be liked and doesn't have the internal equipment to hold his own in a highly judgmental world of late adolescence. The important thing is that by the end he really seems to find a way to navigate his world, as imperfect as it may be. And it is the embracing of that imperfection that moved me the greatest. I don't think we really need to specify any more than that. A gorgeous and original evening of musical theatre...and frankly, isn't that what all of us as theatre geeks of all ages truly hope to witness and experience? I mean, I'm looking forward to Bette's Dolly as the next theatre freak but................really?  :)

kreichelt
#155Dear Evan Hansen Previews
Posted: 11/19/16 at 6:45am

nycward said: "Okay. So as a former Stage Director who is currently a practicing Psychotherapist here in NYC I guess I should way in on the generalized nature of Evan's illness. I saw the show at Second Stage and count me in as a fan. The piece broke my heart and Ben Platt's performance was emotionally wrenching. For awhile I was trying to diagnose his condition but realized that in the theatrical context of the show it really wasn't necessary...."

Thank you for your beautiful and helpful response.  

ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#156Dear Evan Hansen Previews
Posted: 11/19/16 at 3:00pm

for those who saw it so far, can you say how crowded the stage door is and how long it took for everyone to come out? I know it was really crowded monday but not sure about the rest of the nights, assuming this weekend will bring the huge DEH fans who couldnt be there monday. 

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#157Dear Evan Hansen Previews
Posted: 11/19/16 at 6:03pm

Just got out of the matinee. WOW. Still trying to take it all in, but the act one finale is one of the single best sequences on Broadway right now. 

Ben Platt is giving a fully realized, powerful, and touching performance. From what Michael Park said at the stagedoor they have implemented some changes to the opening. Can anyone confirm how the show opened previously? This started with Evan on his bed with the "Waving" theme playing behind him, which moved right into the first number with the two moms. 

I adore the score, and Levenson's book is one of the best new books we've seen in a traditional book musical recently. I have issues with some of the lyrics, but that's a minor complaint. Some just seem a bit vauge. 

I do wish Jennifer Laura Thompson had a song, because I found her every bit as good as Rachel Bay Jones. I hope both their names are called on nomination morning.

For those asking about the stage door: wasn't too bad after the matinee. I'm sure it's worse for evening performances. 

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

mpd4165
#158Dear Evan Hansen Previews
Posted: 11/19/16 at 6:25pm

Just saw the Matinee as well, and I'm with IdinaBellFoster, Act I landed so much more powerfully than I remember at Second Stage. Incredilbly powerful. 

Ben Platt'a performance is stellar, but Rachel Bay Jones...I'm getting choked up again just even thinking about it. So Big/So Small is such a gut-punch and she lands the emotional balance so brilliantly. 

HSky
#159Dear Evan Hansen Previews
Posted: 11/19/16 at 8:07pm

The opening wasn't too different at the first preview from Second Stage (I mostly noticed staging things like Cynthia not wheeling out a cart at breakfast) but it felt like they rewrote the scene with Evan to end in a cleaner fashion. Didn't he kind of quietly storm off stage right during a lighting change at Second Stage? Now, it feels like a complete moment.

"Does Anybody Have a Map?" was brand new for Second Stage, although a lot of the non musical beats (ordering dinner, the breakfast quarrel at the Murphy's) remained. Previously, it was "This'll Be The Year" where the characters (more of an ensemble piece) voiced how things would change with the start of the new school year. The focus on the moms gives the families more depth.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#160Dear Evan Hansen Previews
Posted: 11/19/16 at 10:11pm

The mezzanine is the best place to sit at the Music Box.Dear Evan Hansen Previews

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#161Dear Evan Hansen Previews
Posted: 11/20/16 at 12:46am

IdinaBellFoster said: "Can anyone confirm how the show opened previously? This started with Evan on his bed with the "Waving" theme playing behind him, which moved right into the first number with the two moms. "

That sounds about right, with Evan typing out his "Dear Evan Hansen" email to himself, then his mom appeared, they had that convo about food delivery, and the moms' song started.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Jakeevan942
#162Dear Evan Hansen Previews
Posted: 11/20/16 at 2:22am

I got to see the show tonight, after seeing it in May at Second Stage. Count me among the group who think this is a fantastic piece of art. It speaks strongly to growing up in the digital age, something no other Broadway musical has really tackled up until this point.

I was sitting row J in the center, and I wouldn't have rally wanted to be any closer. The stage, as noted several times in this thread, is very high, I went and peaked at intermission and noted that the show deck is about 8 inches high off the stage of the Music Box. Combine that with the 2 platforms that track most of the scenery on and off, which are another foot tall, and the first 5 or so rows really are craning their necks to see most of the action.

The sound board is in the house right box, the $69 tickets they have been pushing on twitter are in the house left box. For the same price, I would probably opt for rear mezzanine-This is a show designed to be seen with the full picture.

Right now, the last row of the orchestra center is being used by lighting and video design, with monitors popping up into the standing room area, which tonight was occupied by Michael Grief and his associate, Stacey Mindich, Steve Levenson, a number of the designers and the Swings. I'd imagine once the show is up and running they will start selling standing room. The directing team had a whole lot of notes, and the lighting programmer was even making changes at intermission. The lighting monitor said Dear Evan Hansen Saturday, so they are making changed frequently in the technical elements of the show.

They really haven't done much to the story, a few lyric changes here and there, reassigned solos, more projections to fill the larger stage and projections on the stage that I don't remember being there, but it's the same show. I feel like they may have cut a bit out of the opening to get to Waving Through a Window sooner. This song brings my one complaint. The current lighting plot has the number end in a blackout, followed by applause that rivals the response to Cynthia's big number across the street. If the lights stayed up, Ben would be getting a standing ovation every night, but it's not going to happen in the darkness.

I think Ben Platt is giving the strongest performance on Broadway right now, and he never leaves the stage for more than 30 seconds. It is a career-making performance for any actor, not to mention a 23 year old who is originating his first role in a Broadway musical. Thought I haven't seen Josh Groban yet, I'm giving the Tony edge to Ben, who is giving a nuanced, delicate performance, rivaling Alex Sharp in dedication and intensity, but with crazy high notes.

The rest of the cast is fantastic, all of their performances have gotten stronger, and I'm thankful Michael Park was able to come back into the show for Broadway. I also thinkRachel has a fair shot come awards season, but I've been told that they are all being superstitious-Don't mention any of the awards at the stage door.

Stage Door-It was surprisingly calm for a first-week Saturday night. I'm thinking the cold rainy weather helped, but it was only about 2 deep. I'd imagine it might be busy the next week with college-age students on vacation. They have changed the set-up from how they normally do this at the Music Box. Instead of boxing off the doorway, the barricade extends all the way down to th box office, letting everyone in. The whole cast came out, signed, took pictures, and were willing to have a conversation with anyone who wanted to.

This is a brilliant piece, get tickets now, while you still can. 

Jimbo2 Profile Photo
Jimbo2
#163Dear Evan Hansen Previews
Posted: 11/20/16 at 9:18am

Let's just give Ben the Tony Award now. I saw the show Friday night and thought he was beyond brilliant.

Still thinking about how good the production is and going to see it again next weekend!

"If we don't wake up and shake the nation, we'll eat the dust of the world, wondering why...why?"

ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#164Dear Evan Hansen Previews
Posted: 11/20/16 at 10:15am

Saw the show again last night, not much to say since not many changes were made. but let me just say the harmonies added are AMAZING. the added projections are AMAZING. the cast is as always AMAZING. Give Ben and Rachel their tonys now please, both giving absolutely brilliant performances, so genuine and real. with that this show is just so real so relevant to today. Planning to see this again probably like a million more times. 

Jimmyb1969
#165Dear Evan Hansen Previews
Posted: 11/20/16 at 4:34pm

THE WORLD FALLS AWAY WHEN YOU SEE THIS SHOW! Hands down the best musical, best show of the season so far. Ben Platt is so freakin' talented. He has the audience in tears the last 30 minutes of the show.  And the rest of the cast is superb. Top notch. Rachel was straining a bit vocally towards the end...let's call it emoting, but it caused me to worry about her blowing out her voice. With that said this show should have mass appeal and attract a younger audience which Broadway sorely needs more of. I could not love the book, the music or the performances any more. This should sweep the Tonys. I'll see it a few more times as they grow with the run...and the high the cast will get from the best reviews of the season I'm certain of! You're going to LOVE this show. I wouldn't wait on getting tickets this thing is going to sell out for months once the reviews come out and word spreads.

Updated On: 11/20/16 at 04:34 PM

Mwkorona
#166Dear Evan Hansen Previews
Posted: 11/21/16 at 12:47pm

Saw this Saturday night. Previously saw it twice in DC (once during previews and near the end of the run), and once during previews at second stage. As others have noted there were not a lot of major changes from second stage, but they did definitely make some tweaks - one of the biggest that stood out to me was the reordering of the scene leading into and rearrangement of some of the lyrics of Good For You. This is one of  my favorite songs and it threw me at the beginning because of the changes - overall I would say it is still a good song, but I feel like it doesn't start as strong as it had.

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

I know they made most of this change when they moved to second stage, but I feel like they continued to make it clearer that Evan had attempted suicide and that Connor is definitely just in his imagination.

I also think it was new that they added that Evan and Zoe were keeping things quiet between them initially and Evan talked a bit more about how people may get the wrong impression if they found out they were together. I don't recall that from the other productions

These may be just previews-related issues, but I didn't like the spotlight use during Anybody Have A Map. I don't feel like the two mothers moved naturally between the spots and the scenery. I also found them to be too bright. The use of the spots later in the show got better, so it may just need some tightening up (and I do mean the actual spotlights, not the moving lights that also act as spots). They also need to tighten up some of the social media projection change cues and Jennifer Thompson's mic was clipping a little during some of her lines, but overall this production is already running very smoothly for being a week into previews. 

Last complaint is that there in a mirror in the house left box - when characters are front and center and light with the spotlight it reflected so strongly through the mirror - it was super distracting. This was from rear mezzanine, Row H, seat 1, so maybe it was just my perspective, but dang they should cover that thing! My seats were perfect otherwise - no sight issues at all and I felt less cramped than I did two weeks ago at both Richard Rodgers and Lyceum. 

Overall this was a fantastic show and I do not regret for a second taking the 6-8 hour drive to see this 4 times now, I think Ben Platt is phenomenal in his role, the book and music are strong, and it is a very enjoyable experience. Go see it and tell your friends!

Updated On: 11/21/16 at 12:47 PM

canadian fan
#167Dear Evan Hansen Previews
Posted: 11/21/16 at 1:29pm

Mwkorona, I have booked seats in May for this show. I actually booked the EXACT same seats as you had except on left side (Mezz row H seats 2&4)  Do you know if the mirror issue occurs on this side as well? Also, on the pic that was posted on this thread, there are handrails right on the aisle way. Do these cause any distraction when you sit in these seats? Thanks

KitKatBoy24 Profile Photo
KitKatBoy24
#168Dear Evan Hansen Previews
Posted: 11/21/16 at 1:53pm

Just picked up some tickets for tonight! They had some $69 partial view orchestra seats that the box office lady insisted are really not that bad of a view at all. She also said that they'll start selling Standing Room after opening night. Such a nice staff there! She seemed very passionate about the show. I wasn't expecting to see this today, so I'm really excited :)

*Update* - LOVED the show. Our seats were D 16-18 (last two on the side) and they were fantastic. If you decide to do the partial view, I highly recommend you get House Right. There are some beautiful moments with Ben and he was facing directly toward House Right. I was incredibly impressed with Ben Platt's performance. He's definitely a front-runner this season. Rachel Bay Jones also gave one hell of a performance. I'd love to see her be recognized this season. I'm so torn on my love for this show and Great Comet. Two very different shows! What an interesting season this is turning into!
"In here, life is beautiful"
Updated On: 11/22/16 at 01:53 PM

Mwkorona
#169Dear Evan Hansen Previews
Posted: 11/22/16 at 9:09am

canadian fan said: "Mwkorona, I have booked seats in May for this show. I actually booked the EXACT same seats as you had except on left side (Mezz row H seats 2&4)  Do you know if the mirror issue occurs on this side as well? Also, on the pic that was posted on this thread, there are handrails right on the aisle way. Do these cause any distraction when you sit in these seats? Thanks"

I had zero issues with the hand rails obstructing my view, the only time I really noticed them was the elderly gentleman a few rows down who got up for the restroom multiple times and really seemed to be needing to grab both sides to get up the stairs.

There is no mirror in the house left box, the sound board is over there so they may have blocked it off or maybe there just isn't one. To be honest I am not sure how much it impacted people around me but my partner and I both noticed and looked at each other as soon as it happened the first time, as it was like the mirror was lit up as brightly as the stage. Overall it wasn't too distracting as they rarely have cast brightly lit front and center, just something that had bugged me a bit so I mentioned here. 

ads08
#170Dear Evan Hansen Previews
Posted: 11/22/16 at 11:51am

Hi everyone!  Just snagged some tickets off of StubHub - Row K seats 19 and 21 (last two seats house left).  Anyone sit on the extreme side? Worried that it may be partial view.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#171Dear Evan Hansen Previews
Posted: 11/22/16 at 12:00pm

Looks like they'll be singing "Waiving Through A Window" on Seth Myers tonight...but also doing a scene? That's how the BWW press release is worded.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards
Updated On: 11/22/16 at 12:00 PM

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#172Dear Evan Hansen Previews
Posted: 11/22/16 at 7:07pm

What do you folks think?  I'm thinking about going to DEH Sunday night the 8th of January, should I wait or plunge?  It coincides with my NY trip.

Stephanatic

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#173Dear Evan Hansen Previews
Posted: 11/22/16 at 7:50pm

Just scored an amazing single seat (fifth row center) for Saturday matinee. Can't wait to see this again after falling in love with it at Second Stage. 

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

broadwayguy91