GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews

Broadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
#150GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/18/17 at 6:19pm

Just picked up my tickets for tonights show, someone asked the box office if Andy Karl was going on tonight and she said yes. I'll update if I see something otherwise. 

brdway411
#151GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/18/17 at 6:43pm

Scored 2 tix to tonight's show, according to one of my producer friends and the cast list board in the lobby Andy is indeed doing the show. 

JustAnotherNewYorker
#152GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/18/17 at 8:08pm

brdway411 said: "Scored 2 tix to tonight's show, according to one of my producer friends and the cast list board in the lobby Andy is indeed doing the show. "

He seemed a bit wobbly, but mostly fine last night. 

Since he needs to perform at the minimum performances where the Tony voters are invited, they may be trying to front load them while his knee seems to be feeling ok, rather than risk having a bunch of "must perform" performances.

Good luck Andy, and feel better. 

Broadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
#153GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/18/17 at 8:24pm

He's in wearing a knee brace again, I didn't see him limping on it that much. He's definitely the best part of the show so I'm glad I got to see him. Hopefully it ended up not being so bad. 

thealtoslament Profile Photo
thealtoslament
#154GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/18/17 at 8:47pm

JustAnotherNewYorker said: "brdway411 said: "Scored 2 tix to tonight's show, according to one of my producer friends and the cast list board in the lobby Andy is indeed doing the show. "

He seemed a bit wobbly, but mostly fine last night. 

Since he needs to perform at the minimum performances where the Tony voters are invited, they may be trying to front load them while his knee seems to be feeling ok, rather than risk having a bunch of "must perform" performances.

Good luck Andy, and feel better. 

"

This might not be the best place to ask this question, but I've always wondered and Google isn't being helpful. There's a month and some change between when nominations are announced and when the Tonys actually happen, and he needs to be seen by the eligible voters to be both nominated and (possibly) win. So, does that mean they see the show twice (to determine nominees and to determine winners)? Or do they only see it once? Performing 8 shows a week for a month on a torn ACL can't be good, even if he says he'll be fine with rest and PT. 

JustAnotherNewYorker
#155GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/18/17 at 9:26pm

The rules are here:

https://www.tonyawards.com/en_US/about/rules.html

From 2(a)vi

"the production must invite, in a timely manner and free of charge, each of the eligible Tony voters, as well as the members (including those designated on an ex officio basis) and alternate designees of the Tony Awards Administration Committee, to attend a performance of the production. .... For this purpose, the producer must make available to eligible Tony voters at least eight “paid performances” of the production (i.e. previews, opening and/or regular performances in an eligible Broadway theatre)"

so they get to choose at least 8 performances with Andy to which they invite the voters.

The ... language talks about the timing:

"for performances occurring no later than the earlier of 16 weeks after the production officially opens or the day before the annual Tony Nominating Meeting"

Since nominations are announced on May the 2nd, the meeting must be before that (and after the 27th, which is the deadline). I presume that productions opening late (e.g., A Doll's House pt 2, which opens on the deadline) are using preview performances as part or all of the 8. 

Updated On: 4/18/17 at 09:26 PM

Ragged Tear
#156GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/18/17 at 10:22pm

The nominators and the voters are two separate groups that both have to be invited. The voters don't have to attend prior to nominations, but the invitations have to be sent in time for the nomination deadline (although I believe that if the show opens early enough for it to matter, there's an earlier deadline based on being within a set amount of time after opening).

brdway411
#157GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/18/17 at 11:58pm

Just got home from the show. WE LOVED IT!!!! Andy was great. Not a huge fan of the film. The show is so much better than the movie IMHO. Even if we missed Andy it was still a fun show. One thing I would like to mention, I would not advise bringing young kids to the show for language and other topics brought up in the show. 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#158GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/19/17 at 9:35am

"“He might want to break his arm for real,” says a cynical Tony voter." - so true. 

Anyone know what the refund policy is for Andy'a abscence is?

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

FrontLtGuy
#159GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/19/17 at 7:56pm

qolbinau said: ""“He might want to break his arm for real,” says a cynical Tony voter." - so true. 

Anyone know what the refund policy is for Andy'a abscence is

edit: I agree! 

Updated On: 4/19/17 at 07:56 PM

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#160GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/19/17 at 8:11pm

qolbinau said: ""“He might want to break his arm for real,” says a cynical Tony voter." - so true. 

Anyone know what the refund policy is for Andy'a abscence is?

"

What? The quote is from a "cynical Tony voter" saying perhaps Platt should "break his arm for real" to measure up to Andy's performance after his injury...

dotseurat2
#161GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/19/17 at 8:17pm

brdway411 said: "Just got home from the show. WE LOVED IT!!!! Andy was great. Not a huge fan of the film. The show is so much better than the movie IMHO. Even if we missed Andy it was still a fun show. One thing I would like to mention, I would not advise bringing young kids to the show for language and other topics brought up in the show. 

This is what kills me about the show! My 7 year old loves musicals and gets so into it. I can't even play the cast recording around her (been streaming it when I can)! Yet somehow I let Hamilton be the exception hahaha. I'm dying to see GHD again. 

"

tipstosaveonbroadway Profile Photo
tipstosaveonbroadway
#162GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/19/17 at 10:06pm

icecreambenjamin said: "VotePeron said: "Ben Platt does not need you to defend him on BroadwayWorld.com. Calm down.

Well he seems like a genuinely nice person, and I get upset when people feel the need to say rude things about nice, talented people.  You're not edgy for hating on Dear Evan Hansen.

"

This might be the wrong thread for this, but I saw Ben Platt and the majority of the DEH cast at "If I Forget" during a Wednesday matinee. When I approached him during intermission, he completely ignored me after I said hello. I stood at his side (extremely awkwardly) while he spoke with Rachel, and after an excruciating minute or two I walked back to my friends. We all stayed in the lobby literally 10 feet away from the group while Rachel gave us looks several times. Then the intermission lights went on and we all walked back in the theater.

I found it so ironic that the message of DEH is "You will be found" and that everyone matters, but they treat their fans this way. I don't think he is a genuinely nice person after this interaction. A simple "I am with my cast right now and do not want to talk to you" would have sufficed instead of being completely ignored. 

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#163GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/19/17 at 10:12pm

I have to assume that if, indeed, his response was along the lines of  "I am with my cast right now and do not want to talk to you" would cause an equal yet still undeserving comment like this one. 

Personally speaking, when I met Platt in a non-theater setting even AFTER his DEH fame, he was as sweet  and charming as could be despite again being amongst friends. Maybe it just wasn't a good moment. 

tipstosaveonbroadway Profile Photo
tipstosaveonbroadway
#164GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/19/17 at 10:21pm

GreasedLightning said: "I have to assume that if, indeed, his response was along the lines of  "I am with my cast right now and do not want to talk to you" would cause an equal yet still undeserving comment like this one. 

Personally speaking, when I met Platt in a non-theater setting even AFTER his DEH fame, he was as sweet  and charming as could be despite again being amongst friends. Maybe it just wasn't a good moment. 

"

I would honestly have preferred a comment rather than this interaction. Glad to hear that he was sweet to you. I agree, it must've not been a good moment.

Updated On: 4/19/17 at 10:21 PM

Skimbleshanks2 Profile Photo
Skimbleshanks2
#165GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/20/17 at 6:40am

I will say it's disheartening to hear reports (from other threads) that BEN PLATT doesn't stage door when he posts so many pics with celebs on his Insta...

ANDY KARL even stage doored a Wednesday matinee last week as well as opening night!!

"See that poster on the wall? Rocky Marciano." - Andy Karl as Rocky in 'ROCKY'

teresa2
#166GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/20/17 at 8:14am

That's because Andy is old school and a class act. The very fact that he continued the show Friday night because he wanted to finish it for the audience shows what kind of man he is, even tho he must have been tremendous pain. If he was able to, and his doctors would allow it, he would still be on stage performing. At this point he has to think of himself and letting his knee heal without causing himself further damage. 

No offense to Ben Platt, but he is very young and I am sure at times this is all very overwhelming to him. He is feeling his way thru. When the show was off Broadway he did stagedoor, don't know about Broadway as I haven't been there again. 

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#167GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/20/17 at 8:30am

Skimbleshanks2 said: "I will say it's disheartening to hear reports (from other threads) that BEN PLATT doesn't stage door when he posts so many pics with celebs on his Insta...

ANDY KARL even stage doored a Wednesday matinee last week as well as opening night!!
"

Are you on Orfeh's payroll?

What Platt has to do vocally is much harder than what Karl is doing (which also isn't easy). DEAR EVAN HANSEN also has a special green room for when they have visitors.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#168GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/20/17 at 8:46am

IdinaBellFoster said: "Skimbleshanks2 said: "I will say it's disheartening to hear reports (from other threads) that BEN PLATT doesn't stage door when he posts so many pics with celebs on his Insta...

"

Are you on Orfeh's payroll?

What Platt has to do vocally is much harder than what Karl is doing (which also isn't easy). DEAR EVAN HANSEN also has a special green room for when they have visitors.

"

I'll never begrudge an actor for choosing not to stage door. Just because one chooses not to, has no bearing on who they are as a person.  You aren't owed a personal visit.

Yes Platt's role is more emotionally and vocally challenging.  Karl's more physically.  So what? It's a choice to SD. 

For whomever compared GD to Bronx Tale?  I saw them both in the same weekend...even got to meet Chazz Polmantieri...GD was far more entertaining, I couldn't recommend BT to anyone.  

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

godlessondheimite
#169GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/20/17 at 11:44am

I was emotionally drained watching Platt's performance, I can't imagine how he must feel living it 8 nights a week. No actor is obligated to show up at the stagedooor, regardless of how intense or easy their role is, but with Platt, it's especially understandable 

mmFan Profile Photo
mmFan
#170GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/20/17 at 12:32pm

dotseurat2 said:"This is what kills me about the show! My 7 year old loves musicals and gets so into it. I can't even play the cast recording around her (been streaming it when I can)! Yet somehow I let Hamilton be the exception hahaha. I'm dying to see GHD again. "

Can totally relate.  My 7 year old too...and for a few years now.  I've been listening to the recording but more for the music...haven't paid attention to the words.  (That's how I get to know the music without spoiling the show) .  But to relate...she often will ask to listen to Book of Mormon...of which I will only play the first 3 songs....lol.

chanel
#171GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 11:13am

A rave, written from the night Andy Karl hurt himself. Scroll down to The Sun'll Come Out Tomorrow.

http://www.out.com/michael-musto/2017/4/24/bianca-del-rio-id-let-trump-touch-my-psy

deltatee Profile Photo
deltatee
#172GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 4:29pm

I saw GHD on Saturday afternoon with Andrew Call.  I was disappointed to not see Andy Karl's performance, but AC was really fantastic in the role.  And as for the show, count me in the group that loves it! 

ZellMorrowsPledge Profile Photo
ZellMorrowsPledge
#173GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 5/2/17 at 8:07pm

This newly 7-time Tony Nominated musical has this new broadway booster going on, its pretty awesome. And great prizes are awarded to those who maintain a high position on the leaderboard http://sot.ag/4vVZr

Use my code "YZTFG" for $20 OFF tickets on TodayTix!

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#174GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 5/11/17 at 12:57pm

Finally saw the show yesterday, and I loved it! It's quirky, clever, cool, and, ultimately, quite moving. As a big fan of the original movie, I was really impressed with this adaptation. 

Videos