INTO THE WOODS Reviews

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#175INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/26/22 at 2:18pm

We’ll definitely see some cast members extend and others not. I’m hearing Patina and Sara in particular are not extending their runs, but we shall see.

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#176INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/26/22 at 2:23pm

I can see Sara not extending, but I cannot imagine the show without Patina. Her performance gave me absolute chills! I would like to see Heather reprise her role from Encores. 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#177INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/26/22 at 2:28pm

ColorTheHours048 said: "We’ll definitely see some cast members extend and others not. I’m hearing Patina and Sara in particular are not extending their runs, but we shall see."

That is VERY odd that they would extend without Sara, as she is the primary star name driving sales. I think she is helping these grosses a lot more than some of you think. Especially since the frequent theatergoers will probably have already seen it (possibly more than once) by the end of the scheduled run.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#178INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/26/22 at 2:32pm

Despite the lack of Sara for several performances the grosses seemed to remain steady (surprising to me). People still might have bought on her name and decided to attend anyway but would this not suggest she is perhaps not the sole draw? 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 7/26/22 at 02:32 PM

OhHiii
#179INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/26/22 at 2:34pm

binau said: "Despite the lack of Sara for several performances the grosses seemed to remain steady (surprising to me). People still might have bought on her name and decided to attend anyway but would this not suggest she is perhaps not the sole draw?"

Great minds, this is exactly the sentiment I just posted in the grosses thread.

JasonC3
#180INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/26/22 at 5:00pm

Sara may be the sole draw for some percentage of people, but I think the overall strong cast + her fan base is what is leading to such strong attendance and sustaining a good ticket price.  It's less an either/or and more of an AND.

Emmeline Carter
#181INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/26/22 at 6:30pm

New York City Center is continuing their trend of emoji hints to announce news. Their Twitter just posted an emoji of beans. I'm guessing the announcement will come very soon- quite possibly tomorrow! 

Dylan Smith4
#182INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/26/22 at 7:33pm

Emmeline Carter said: "New York City Center is continuing their trend of emoji hints to announce news. Their Twitter just posted an emoji of beans. I'm guessing the announcement will come very soon- quite possibly tomorrow!"

They are just getting us riled up again! I cannot tell you the pressure those tweets gave me lol! I was like "JUST ANNOUNCE IT ALREADY!"

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#183INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/26/22 at 7:54pm

binau said: "Despite the lack of Sara for several performances the grosses seemed to remain steady (surprising to me). People still might have bought on her name and decided to attend anyway but would this not suggest she is perhaps not the sole draw?"

Remember, MUSIC MAN did $1.7 the week Hugh was out. A big drop, but still more money than would have been made if the production opened with Max Clayton & Sutton Foster above the title. And as we know from shows like COMPANY and WAR PAINT and FIDDLER and CAROUSEL and COLOR PURPLE, these musical revivals can start strong and then drop. It would really depend on who the person is replacing her, if they're a bona fide star.

Sara is not the sole draw, but Sara + ITW + great reviews means a lot more than, like, Lindsay Mendez + ITW + great reviews. (random example!!)

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#184INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/26/22 at 8:25pm

SeatGeek just opened up the window past August through Jan 2024 (I stopped looking past that month). While I don’t anticipate an open run announcement (but, who knows), I would wager the announcement will be tomorrow and perhaps is being printed for the arts section  of the Times as I type this. 

Updated On: 7/26/22 at 08:25 PM

Dylan Smith4
#185INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/26/22 at 8:28pm

January 2024? I think that's a typo LOL! That would be a nice run though!

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#186INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/26/22 at 8:31pm

Dylan Smith4 said: "January 2024? I think that's a typo LOL! That would be a nice run though!"

Not a typo: it actually goes much further out, I just stopped looking. When I looked at the page earlier today, the calendar stopped on August 21. Now the calendar is open for two years (obviously, without an option to buy tickets as of now). 

Dylan Smith4
#187INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/26/22 at 9:32pm

Wouldn't that be the best wish come true? An open-ended run of ITW!

ElephantLoveMedley
#188INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/26/22 at 9:45pm

Play Esq. said: "SeatGeek just opened up the window past August through Jan 2024 (I stopped looking past that month). While I don’t anticipate an open run announcement (but, who knows), I would wager the announcement will be tomorrow and perhaps is being printed for the arts section of the Times as I type this."

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but that's always how the SeatGeek feature works. It lets you click out several months beyond a show's scheduled run, but you just will see the blank calendar month without any performances listed in them. Right now, it looks like there are only performances through August still. (Hoping we get an extension announcement tomorrow too though!)

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#189INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/26/22 at 9:54pm

ElephantLoveMedley said: "Play Esq. said: "SeatGeek just opened up the window past August through Jan 2024 (I stopped looking past that month). While I don’t anticipate an open run announcement (but, who knows), I would wager the announcement will be tomorrow and perhaps is being printed for the arts section of the Times as I type this."

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but that's always how the SeatGeek feature works. It lets you click out several months beyond a show's scheduled run, but you just will see the blank calendar month without any performances listed in them. Right now, it looks like there are only performances through August still. (Hoping we get an extension announcement tomorrow too though!)
"

This is not always the case: as I said earlier, I checked to see if the calendar went out past August 21 earlier today. It didn’t, not with blank dates or otherwise. 

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#190INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/26/22 at 11:25pm

Went back for a second time tonight. Sara was in fine voice tonight (despite tweeting about still being congested) and her comedic timing has gotten a lot sharper! I loved Cheyenne Jackson as the Wolf/Prince. He’s definitely a bit more debonair and doesn’t lean into the campiness as much as Gavin Creek does, but goodness me, I could watch Sara and Cheyenne make out all day lol.

Also, Wonderstudy Jason Forbach was on for Joshua Henry and, as someone who felt like Henry was a little wasted in the role, Forbach was refreshing and just NAILED it like he did the Baker two weeks ago. At this point, I’m convinced that he can just do the entire show by himself.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

saxpower
#191INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/27/22 at 12:43am

My assumption was that any extension announcement had to wait for the announcement of The Piano Lesson's move to the Barrymore. Now that TPL's transfer is confirmed, there may be need to make sure all the t's crossed and I's dotted as to who will be staying for the extension and who will not so casting announcements can be made at the same time.

If the extension doesn't have as many "big names," hopefully prices will go down a bit. 

Question re: "stunt" casting- Is the Narrator a role they could put a well known person not necessarily known as singer?  Does the actor always double the Mysterious Man? (I've only seen the film). 

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#192INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/27/22 at 1:00am

Dylan Smith4 said: "I can see Sara not extending, but I cannot imagine the show without Patina. Her performance gave me absolute chills! I would like to see Heather reprise her role from Encores."

Did you say you cannot imagine the show without Patina but wanting to see Heather? Your imagination stretches quickly!  Lol

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#193INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/27/22 at 4:19am

saxpower said: "Question re: "stunt" casting- Is the Narrator a role they could put a well known person not necessarily known as singer? Does the actor always double the Mysterious Man? (I've only seen the film)."

The narrator does not always double as the Mysterious Man. The original London production and the Regent’s Park/Central Park productions are a few examples where the Mysterious Man was played by a different actor.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#194INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/27/22 at 5:50am

ElephantLoveMedley said: "Play Esq. said: "SeatGeek just opened up the window past August through Jan 2024 (I stopped looking past that month). While I don’t anticipate an open run announcement (but, who knows), I would wager the announcement will be tomorrow and perhaps is being printed for the arts section of the Times as I type this."

"

The New York Times' New York Today email this morning (in a piece about the search for the boot that hung over the Martin Beck and Broadhurst Theatres for the original production and the revival) says that Into the Woods is extending through October 16. 

INTO THE WOODS Reviews

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.
Updated On: 7/27/22 at 05:50 AM

Anshel2 Profile Photo
Anshel2
#195INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/27/22 at 6:24am

Chip Zien should be playing The Narrator.

Broadway Bob* Profile Photo
Broadway Bob*
#196INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/27/22 at 8:04am

I believe the boot was last seen atop the Broadhurst Theatre during the last revival there.

Even if extended, I don’t think this could be an open end run as I believe there is something booked into the James in the Spring.

Chip Zien as the Narrator/Mysterious Man? YES PLEASE!!!

<-- Tevye, FIDDLER ON THE ROOF, March 2018

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#197INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/27/22 at 8:20am

Extension through October 16th confirmed:

https://bway.ly/m7k2mq#https://broadwaynews.com/2022/07/27/into-the-woods-revival-extends-broadway-run/

"Casting for the eight-week extension has not yet been announced. When asked when producers would reveal casting, Roth told Broadway News, 'Shortly.' Roth neither confirmed nor rejected the possibility of further extensions for this 'Into the Woods.'"

Updated On: 7/27/22 at 08:20 AM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#198INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/27/22 at 8:35am

I really hate hearing the phrase "wasted in a role."  Would I want to see/hear more of Josh Henry? You betcha- but I can't imagine any scenario in which that would not be true! That man is never a snack, but a complete five course gourmet meal.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048

Videos