pixeltracker

The Pirate Queen Reviews- Page 8

The Pirate Queen Reviews

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#175re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/6/07 at 1:42pm

I still like to believe Barnes has some taste left in his old soul.

LaCageAuxFollesFan2 Profile Photo
LaCageAuxFollesFan2
#176re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/6/07 at 1:44pm

Wow...just wow. Those were a slew of some of the worst reviews I think I've ever read. I didn't hate the show as much as most of these critics obviously did, nor did I think it was the next break-out musical, but these reviews are, well cut-throat. Sorry PIRATE QUEEN! So, is TALE OF TWO CITIES ready for the Hilton yet?

This was my review: https://nycriticscorner.broadwayworld.com/thepiratequeen.htm

Updated On: 4/6/07 at 01:44 PM

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#177re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/6/07 at 1:53pm

"In this age of the modern musical, in which if a new show isn't cutting edge there are critics who will dismiss it in less than a heartbeat, let's stop a moment before tearing down a major attempt at entertainment. Yes, The Pirate Queen is deeply flawed and there will be no dearth of people who will be delighted to describe those flaws to you in detail. We'll tell you what's wrong with the show, too, but we won't take pleasure in it. We'd like to start, though, by describing why audiences will rightfully enjoy certain aspects of this show ...

The enthusiastic and muscular choreography that has made Riverdance so successful is in full bloom in The Pirate Queen. Sharply performed, blood-racing in its tightly syncopated style (oftentimes with wooden oars that also suggest a touch of Stomp), in this show you'll find the core in choreography.

The set, costume and lighting design all leave no doubt that a great deal of money has been spent on this production. Sometimes big budget shows open on Broadway and you wonder where the money went; not here. You want visual stimulation? You'll get plenty of it here.

The cast is the ultimate prize on the Hilton Theatre stage. In a better show, Stephanie J. Block's heroic performance in the title role would be star-making, if not career-making. Be that as it may, when she belts she makes a mediocre score sound like a million bucks. Hadley Fraser as Block's love interest in the show, has a soaring tenor voice that will knock you out. Jeff McCarthy as Block's father cuts quite a memorable swath through the first act. Women of a certain age were swooning all over the place. Linda Balgord as Queen Elizabeth I brings a genuine vigor and bite to her delicious soprano vocals.

Briefly, because you'll have plenty of other folks who will tell you what's wrong with the show, we'll concede that the score is derivative, the music is mediocre and the lyrics are too often banal rather than anthemic. Worse, the book, the story of real-life female Irish pirate Grace O'Malley, is badly structured, draining in it of its drama. A swashbuckling story that builds not to a climatic singing/dancing/action finale but to a private talk seen in silhouette between the Pirate Queen and the English Queen is nothing if not unsatisfying.

Yes, there is a lot wrong with The Pirate Queen, but one hopes that audiences will get the chance to make up their own minds about this troubled yet impressive work."

Siegel Column

WickedRentEder Profile Photo
WickedRentEder
#178re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/6/07 at 2:24pm

Yikes! I got tickets for May oo I hope it's around by then re: The Pirate Queen Reviews

I take what the critics say with a grain of salt anyway...

SorryGrateful
#179re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/6/07 at 2:28pm

Yes, but if most critics are saying the same thing along with a lot of people here on the boards, it's not a matter of salt. It's not a good show. Period. We'll just have to see how long it lasts.

You promised me poems. ~Tricky

GilmoreGirlO2 Profile Photo
GilmoreGirlO2
#180re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/6/07 at 3:06pm

I agree with much of what Siegel wrote.

BSoBW2
#181re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/6/07 at 3:08pm

Ouch all around. It's rough when the best review of Block is calling her a screechy version of Celine Dione. Brantley is rough.

And naturally Brantley has an obsession with Queen Elizabeth. Because he, like she, is the virgin queen with way too much power.

StephanietheStar Profile Photo
StephanietheStar
#182re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/6/07 at 3:14pm

BSoBW2---LMFAO that was great....

ouch, dude, I think these critics are a bit harsh...come on.

Even if you hate the subject matter I can't believe the ones that they are picking on Stephanie and others...that cast is undeniably brilliant and very talented-regardless of what their material is.

and all that I could do because of you was talk of love...

PaintWordPictures Profile Photo
PaintWordPictures
#183re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/6/07 at 3:34pm

It is dissapointing that when things had started looking up for this show after Chicago, it gets completely massacred. Given its obvious flaws (hell, give me a show without any at all, if you can) I was intrigued by the work in Chicago and hope it at least sticks around for the summer tourist season so I can catch a glimpse of the progress made. Maybe it won't run 23492349832478932 years like Les Mis, but perhaps it could still do a respectable run... Anybody have info on what the reviews for Les Mis and Miss Saigon were when they first opened? (It wouldn't be hard to be better than these.) But it is frustrating to see so many fantastic performers in a show together and not leave some kind of a mark, despite the other issues surrounding the show.

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#184re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/6/07 at 4:21pm

Can anyone access the Wall Street Journal? It is a subscription, but I hear their review is not to be missed.

PEACE.

Sylar2 Profile Photo
Sylar2
#185re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/6/07 at 4:28pm

I was at opening night and overheard the couple next to me say "I hope these kids have backup jobs cause this show ain't gonne be here for long"

It was trully dreadful. It's like watching a horrible multi-million dollar film and thinking to yourself- "someone actually invested millions into this thinking it was good?"

Well, it's not. I litereally laughed at loud when the "butch" pirates are all brooding then suddenly turn into dancing queens, literally.. the chorus boys are SO GAY. Hysterical.

Next.
Updated On: 4/6/07 at 04:28 PM

WordedGrace Profile Photo
WordedGrace
#186re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/6/07 at 4:31pm

I really didn't expect them to not recognize SJB. I did think her performance was strong with the material she was given. It bites for her but I'm sure she'll soldier on.

I'm not gonna hate you in the magazines, (I'm better than that) I'm not gonna compromise my Christianity, (I'm better than that) You know I'm not gonna diss you on the Internet Cause my momma taught me better than that.

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#187re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/6/07 at 4:37pm

After just watching the recent castcom vids i am so glad they are having a good time. this cast overall seems like such a tight family and it is a shame that it ended this way. i guess we will have to see what happens now.

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#188re: The Pirate Queen Reviews
Posted: 4/6/07 at 4:40pm

After just watching the recent castcom vids i am so glad they are having a good time. this cast overall seems like such a tight family and it is a shame that it ended this way. i guess we will have to see what happens now.

BEGAN this way, theaterdude, BEGAN this way. Nothing has ended yet re: The Pirate Queen Reviews But definitely a shame to start off this way.

theaterbiz
#189wall street journal blurb
Posted: 4/6/07 at 4:45pm

'The Pirate Queen,' on the other hand, is a gift that keeps on giving: It starts out dumb, then gets dumber, and at no time does anything other than preposterous ever take place on stage or in the orchestra pit. If it were somewhat shorter, it might actually be worth seeing, but at 2½ hours, I can't recommend it in good faith to anyone who isn't (A) a full-fledged hit-me-again masochist and/or (B) deaf."

Yankeefan007
#190wall street journal blurb
Posted: 4/6/07 at 4:51pm

That is hilarious.

Kringas
#191Here's the complete WSJ Review
Posted: 4/6/07 at 5:10pm

Has there ever really been a musical so bad that it was funny? (I mean an actual show, not “Springtime for Hitler.”) “Taboo” and “In My Life” both began promisingly, but my sense of humor was swamped by their sheer awfulness well before intermission. “The Pirate Queen,” on the other hand, is a gift that keeps on giving: It starts out dumb, then gets dumber, and at no time does anything other than preposterous ever take place on stage or in the orchestra pit. If it were somewhat shorter, it might actually be worth seeing, but at 2½ hours, I can't recommend it in good faith to anyone who isn't (A) a full-fledged hit-me-again masochist and/or (B) deaf.

“The Pirate Queen” is the latest effort from Alain Boublil and Claude-Michel Schonberg, the “Les Miz” boys. It sounds very much like that fatuous faux-opera, only with fiddle, harp and the maudlin squeal of Uilleann pipes thrown in so you’ll know it’s set in Ireland. (The crummy-sounding synthesized string section was presumably thrown in so you’ll know that you’re on Broadway.) Mr. Schonberg’s yappy score runs more or less continuously throughout the show, meaning that you get to hear the undistinguished cast sing thousands of leaden couplets and quatrains in between the heavy-footed step dances: “Here I stand/No crown, no land/And yet prepared to tender/My unconditional surrender.” That’s as good as it gets.

As for the plot, it’s a semi-rehash of “The Sea Hawk” with Maureen O’Hara replacing Errol Flynn. ‘Tis an honest-to-God true story of 16th-century Irish feminism that I’ll be tellin’ you, me fine lads and lassies: Grace O’Malley (Stephanie J. Block) dresses up as a boy, stows away on her father’s pirate ship, proves that she’s tougher than any six men and prettier to boot, pals around with Queen Elizabeth I (Linda Balgord) and saved the Emerald Isle from ruin singlehandedly. If politically correct blarney set to unmemorable music is your thing, be my guest.

“The Pirate Queen” was blitzed by every reputable drama critic in Chicago when it opened there last fall. Since then, it’s been subjected to extensive and expensive show-doctoring that reportedly cost the production up to $16 million. (Yes, Eugene Lee’s sets are gorgeous.) This makes me wonder: Might it actually have been worse before it got to Broadway? I tremble at the thought. - Terry Teachout

"How do you like THAT 'misanthropic panache,' Mr. Goldstone?" - PalJoey

chicolini Profile Photo
chicolini
#192Here's the complete WSJ Review
Posted: 4/6/07 at 5:13pm

Sueleen, I posted a line or two from Wall St. Journal's review. I was locked out of their online site earlier today, but will try again to access it and post the whole review.

Teachout can usually find something positive to say, but he really struggles with PQ.

Edit: thanks Kringas. I couldn't remember my password for the online journal.

Don't be too sure I'm as crooked as I'm supposed to be.
Updated On: 4/6/07 at 05:13 PM

ashbash1990 Profile Photo
ashbash1990
#193wall street journal blurb
Posted: 4/6/07 at 5:14pm

The WSJ guy, hated Les Mis, so he doesn't like this either, big suprise... But think of the reviews Les Mis got upon is London Opening: "Victor Hugo on the Garbage Dump" "The music by Claude-Michel Schonberg is adequate if conventional and unmemorable. the lyrics uninspiering and at times bathetic."
Maybe, this to will become a success... I am by no means a fan-girl, but a lot of work and sweat and tears went into this show, I really like the music, and I am eager for it to succeed...

What a night! I was in more laps than a napkin!

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#194wall street journal blurb
Posted: 4/6/07 at 5:19pm

So what if a lot of effort went into the show? That doesn't make it any better, it's still a terrible production.
With that mentality, any high school or community theatre show would be on Broadway, the effort is still there.

And if the cast is so extremely gifted, then wish for them to move on to better things, instead of being stuck in this mess with their mega talents.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#195wall street journal blurb
Posted: 4/6/07 at 5:19pm

So what if a lot of effort went into the show? That doesn't make it any better, it's still a terrible production.
With that mentality, any high school or community theatre show would be on Broadway, the effort is still there.

And if the cast is so extremely gifted, then wish for them to move on to better things, instead of being stuck in this mess with their mega talents.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

CFK
#196wall street journal blurb
Posted: 4/6/07 at 5:46pm

The whole, "A lot of work went into this show..." argument gets really old really quickly. EVERY single production on Broadway has a hell of a lot of work that goes into it, not just work either, time, money, and talent too!

Just call a spade a spade. This show despite "all the blood, sweat, and tears" failed to deliver.

End of.

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#197wall street journal blurb
Posted: 4/6/07 at 5:48pm

Thanks you for the WSJ review. Yep, pretty much the worst of the lot.

PEACE.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#198wall street journal blurb
Posted: 4/6/07 at 5:50pm

I'm also very surprised the cast isn't getting stellar reviews

Isn't a talented cast on Broadway sort of a given? If the material is crap, sometimes critics will say that the performers rise above the material. But in the case of this show, with the material being panned from the inside out, there's no way any of them are going to feel that the performers rise above it.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

ashbash1990 Profile Photo
ashbash1990
#199wall street journal blurb
Posted: 4/6/07 at 5:51pm

OK, sorry, I guess i'm biased because I love Boublil and Schonberg...

What a night! I was in more laps than a napkin!

Videos