pixeltracker

CATS Film Adaptation Thread- Page 9

CATS Film Adaptation Thread

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
#200CATS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 7/18/19 at 10:04pm

Scarier than the It trailer that dropped today.

Think there's any chance for a redisgn of the cats? Like what happened after the Sonic movie trailer came out? This response to this online has been even more brutal.

I'm looking forward to the Blank Check podcast on Tom Hooper.

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#201CATS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 7/18/19 at 10:10pm

It's not like they would even have to do THAT much work on them. Just add some kitty noses, whiskers, and tufts of hair around the faces, and the designs would be much better.

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#203CATS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 7/18/19 at 10:33pm

CAT-tastrophe!

CATS Film Adaptation Thread

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#204CATS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 7/18/19 at 11:06pm

ErikJ972 said: "Someone call Steven Spielberg,

https://io9.gizmodo.com/stunning-concept-art-for-spielbergs-animated-cats-movie-1599739506
"

He’s literally onboard as a producer for this one. 

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
#205CATS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 7/18/19 at 11:10pm

jacobsnchz14 said: "ErikJ972 said: "Someone call Steven Spielberg,

https://io9.gizmodo.com/stunning-concept-art-for-spielbergs-animated-cats-movie-1599739506
"

He’s literally onboard as a producer for this one.
"

Yikes. 

Updated On: 7/18/19 at 11:10 PM

theatreguy12
#206CATS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 7/18/19 at 11:33pm

I'm not quite getting the extreme responses to that video either.  The musical was always a bit silly, if not bizarre.  Certainly the songs were somewhat catchy and the choreography was quite impressive.  But the story and the show, overall, was kind of goofy to begin with.  And now people are finding themselves bothered by the fact the faces need a few whiskers?  That's the difference between this movie being a catastrophe and being a good movie?

I can understand finding the clip humorous and not seeing the movie if you didn't like the musical to begin with.  But if you did like the play, a few whiskers on the face is going to make a difference?

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#207CATS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 7/18/19 at 11:49pm

It's really not as bad as I thought, based on reactions here. But why in the world would they have not just done traditional make-up???

Speed
#208CATS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 7/19/19 at 12:29am

BroadwayStar4 said: "It should have been a CGI-animated movie with cats that look like cats, not humans."

Do you really want to see real cats dance the Jellicle Ball?  How is that even possible?

Theatre Fan3
#209CATS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 7/19/19 at 12:39am

I would venture a guess that 80% of the people posting here have never even seen the stage production or if they did, did not care for it.  To say that the stage production was garbage is just plain ludicrous!!  The show was one of the longest running shows in Broadway and West End history ... obviously somebody thought it was good.  I swear people get some perverse sense of power and pleasure from sitting anonymously behind their computer screen and trashing films, stage shows, etc. 

Updated On: 7/19/19 at 12:39 AM

Speed
#210CATS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 7/19/19 at 12:43am

Broadway61004 said: "Speed said: "BenjaminNicholas2 said: "everythingtaboo said: "And I'm so tired of Jennifer Hudson singing the sh*t out of everything in the place of actual emotion. There's nothing behind her singing besides power. Where's the character aside from looking shocked and confused

Yes. I'm glad someone said it. Hudsonhas two volumes: Loud and very loud. Her technique is sloppy. Her phrasing shows how much she could use some additional coaching in the breath control department. While on film, she can be edited to come across very well, her live performances can't hide her inherent problems. Color Purple was well above what she looked comfortable doing. Thankfully Heather Headley came along a little later to make sure we all understood how great a role Shug really is.

I don't think she deserved this role. People often confuse power-belting with emoting and connecting with a song. Hudson has yet to show people that she can, in fact, act.

"

Jesus Christ. Are you f***cking serious??? Her acting in Dreamgirls was electric which is why she won EVERY SINGLE AWARD. She is a fantastic actress who has conquered Broadway, TV, and film. And how can you say her only voices are loud and loud when she is singing VERY QUIETLY for HALF THE TRAILER.
"

Actually, I'm pretty sure she won every single award imaginable because of her singing, because of the fact the Academy can't differentiate between emoting and acting and because it was an insanely weak year for supporting actresses. It had nothing to do with her acting, which was non-existent in the film.
"

You have no idea what acting is.  It’s telling a story and she did her part of telling the story brilliantly.  LOTS of people voted on her to win all the awards.  They can’t all be less intelligent than you.  They know what acting is.  They judge it EVERY YEAR and many many people have sung in movies and not won the awards Hudson won.  Also-  hundreds of actresses were eligible for that Oscar.  It’s the hardest award to win because there IS a lot of competition.  There’s no such thing as a weak year.

Speed
#211CATS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 7/19/19 at 12:48am

Tag said: "It's really not as bad as I thought, based on reactions here. But why in the world would they have not just done traditional make-up???"

That’s already been done and released on DVD years ago.

Fosse76
#212CATS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 7/19/19 at 1:08am

Speed said: "Tag said: "It's really not as bad as I thought, based on reactions here. But why in the world would they have not just done traditional make-up???"

"

But I think that's the point. What is this film's purpose,  other than giving us creepy cat-like humanoids? 

Speed
#213CATS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 7/19/19 at 1:28am

Fosse76 said: "Speed said: "Tag said: "It's really not as bad as I thought, based on reactions here. But why in the world would they have not just done traditional make-up???"

"

But I think that's the point. What is this film's purpose, other than giving us creepy cat-like humanoids?
"

To bring new technology to a classic property and make money.

Broadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
#214CATS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 7/19/19 at 1:31am

I don't get why a lot of people are freaking out over the trailer, the Broadway show was always a weird show to me and this seems to fit right along the same lines.

Speed
#215CATS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 7/19/19 at 1:31am

One great thing about this is it won’t have the challenge of people breaking into song on screen that always feels awkward in 2019. Cats is more fantastic and as it’s mostly sung through and mostly animated, it’ll work better than most live action musicals (Rent, I’m looking at you).

NYCblurb
#216CATS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 7/19/19 at 1:52am

A tough one to watch. Cannot imagine seeing this creepy thriller musical on the big screen. Crap!

A lover of theater for decades. Teacher by day. Family man by night. See more theater than most, oftentimes a hesitant plus one.

sng
#217CATS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 7/19/19 at 2:09am

out of hundreds of good musicals to adapt, they literally chose the worst one ever. good lord

Alex Kulak2
#218CATS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 7/19/19 at 3:21am

Well, that’s it. Theatre is dead and we killed it.

Pack it up boys. We’re done here.

bear88
#219CATS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 7/19/19 at 3:26am

I have never seen Cats on stage, even when it was playing every time we went to New York City in the 1990s. My wife (we weren't married yet) just weren't interested, but I have nothing against it.

So unlike most of you, but like regular people, I don't know much about characters or the story. My main reaction: Most of them don't look like cats. Good on them for being way out there, I guess, but the look (with a few exceptions) is unappealing. Some of the visuals look interesting, but not enough.

I was underwhelmed by the performance of "Memory." 

I was surprised they spent even a second promoting the choreographer. I can't remember seeing this in a trailer. I know who he is, but regular people don't.

People have looked foolish predicting the commerical failure of Cats before, so I'm not joining that club. But it didn't make me want to see it, and isn't that the goal of a trailer? My takeaway: Maybe I should see the thing on tour, because the movie looks like it will be terrible.

theatregoer3 Profile Photo
theatregoer3
#220CATS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 7/19/19 at 5:24am

I really liked the trailer and I’m excited for the movie. In one of the BTS segments the cast and crew were saying Cats has always been about pure entertainment. I like looking at this trailer through that lens. I never cared if they were real looking cats. I just want to be entertained by this show.

Additionally, the national tour of Cats was the first professional show I ever saw. I was very young and my mother took me. I have great memories of the experience and I imagine many others have a similar experience with this show, so there’s a bit of nostalgia at play.

I’m definitely excited for the early screenings and will probably also purchase tickets to see it a second time with family!

sueb1863 Profile Photo
sueb1863
#221CATS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 7/19/19 at 6:45am

Yeah, the problem for me isn't the material, or the performers.  Everything looks fine EXCEPT the cat designs for the faces are too human and disturbing. I can't imagine watching this for two hours. It's like a bizarre hallucination.

If they'd just made the ears a lot bigger, put more fur around the faces, and altered the noses and eyes to make them look catlike, it would have been much better. But they didn't and because of that, it doesn't  matter how great the performances, dancing and sets are because the film is unwatchable.

Updated On: 7/19/19 at 06:45 AM

nmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
#222CATS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 7/19/19 at 7:13am

Is this yet another remake of Pet Sematary

Broadway61004
#223CATS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 7/19/19 at 7:17am

Speed said: "Broadway61004 said: "Speed said: "BenjaminNicholas2 said: "everythingtaboo said: "And I'm so tired of Jennifer Hudson singing the sh*t out of everything in the place of actual emotion. There's nothing behind her singing besides power. Where's the character aside from looking shocked and confused

Yes. I'm glad someone said it. Hudsonhas two volumes: Loud and very loud. Her technique is sloppy. Her phrasing shows how much she could use some additional coaching in the breath control department. While on film, she can be edited to come across very well, her live performances can't hide her inherent problems. Color Purple was well above what she looked comfortable doing. Thankfully Heather Headley came along a little later to make sure we all understood how great a role Shug really is.

I don't think she deserved this role. People often confuse power-belting with emoting and connecting with a song. Hudson has yet to show people that she can, in fact, act.

"

Jesus Christ. Are you f***cking serious??? Her acting in Dreamgirls was electric which is why she won EVERY SINGLE AWARD. She is a fantastic actress who has conquered Broadway, TV, and film. And how can you say her only voices are loud and loud when she is singing VERY QUIETLY for HALF THE TRAILER.
"

Actually, I'm pretty sure she won every single award imaginable because of her singing, because of the fact the Academy can't differentiate between emoting and acting and because it was an insanely weak year for supporting actresses. It had nothing to do with her acting, which was non-existent in the film.
"

You have no idea what acting is. It’s telling a story and she did her part of telling the story brilliantly. LOTS of people voted on her to win all the awards. They can’t all be less intelligent than you. They know what acting is. They judge it EVERY YEAR and many many people have sung in movies and not won the awards Hudson won. Also- hundredsof actresses were eligible for that Oscar. It’s the hardest award to win because there IS a lot of competition. There’s no such thing as a weak year."

Yep, I clearly just have no idea what acting is. Thank you so much for clarifying and explaining this to me. Also, I'm glad to know that you find that every single person in the White House is doing an incredible job. I mean, I'm just assuming since people voted for them out of lots of other contenders that they MUST all be incredibly gifted at what they do, right?

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#224CATS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 7/19/19 at 8:40am

Its just plain odd looking, and can easily be fixed (but probably $$$)

you can see that the cats with clothes look fine: Macavity, Mistofoles, Skimble to some extent, even Old Deuteronomy. and the reason for this is proportions. I think for me why Bombalurina, Munkistrap and Jennyanydots look so weird is they all come off as top heavy in the chest area (not boobs, but chest generally) and small in the head area because the ears are so small and up high (where they should be), if you think of the stage show, they get over this with the larger wigs and extra fur by the shoulders.

So all they need to do is redistribute where they place the fur and make some longer, around the shoulders and lengthen the fur around the head, bigger ears. Also the few that are mottled with patches of different colours also look nicer, where as most of the main characters seem plain with one colour running through.

Obviously they cant replicate the stage version costumes for copyright and royalty reasons but I still think they need to tweak it a bit.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

Videos