News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour - Page 9

The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour

Alexander Lamar
#200The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 10/11/23 at 5:45pm

Sad to hear that about the choreography. I was really excited for Jaquel. 

slow_the_rain
#201The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 10/27/23 at 8:18pm

I saw a post on TikTok speculating that the background projections for this production are AI generated. The poster includes a few photos.

I’ve known a few projection designers with a lot of confidence in bad Photoshop, sure, but the imagery certainly seems to possess AI idiosyncrasies aplenty.

Rentaholic2
#202The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 10/27/23 at 9:52pm

slow_the_rain said: "I saw a poston TikTokspeculating that the background projections for this production are AI generated. The poster includes a few photos.

I’ve known a few projection designers with a lot of confidence in bad Photoshop, sure, but the imagery certainly seems to possess AI idiosyncrasies aplenty.
"

Whoa that is baaaaaad.  Is that really what the projections look like?  I mean, this is a long overdue major Broadway revival, and that is just horrendous. 

Musigamist
#203The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 10/27/23 at 10:12pm

When I saw this a few weeks ago, several audience members and I were discussing the projections and the comment was made that they looked like an AI experiment to which I agreed. At the same time, it could be a distinct artistic choice to have this heavily digitally-altered, borderline AI look to it in an attempt to make it more modern and sleek. (It doesn't quite achieve that if it was the goal). One of the most egregious scenes was the poppy field scene I mentioned previously—that could have 100% been an AI attempt at an animated background.

LaVieBoheme Profile Photo
LaVieBoheme
#204The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 10/28/23 at 12:47am

So I heard someone suggest that perhaps they're going with the badly made AI projections because maybe it's the more cost effective/ more convenient option for the touring production. Maybe that was the best option to be able to tour with the show. So I'm holding out hope that when the production settles in NYC they'll have actual sets and less projections.

AEA AGMA SM
#205The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 10/28/23 at 7:08am

Daniel Brody is credited with projection design. Whether he used AI tools to help create the images I can’t say, but that wouldn’t have necessarily saved the production any money.

Sammy232
#206The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 10/28/23 at 8:10am

I use Photoshop all the time in my job and I don't think most folks realize that generative AI tools are a built in function on there now. So I'm not sure this is really shocking? More lack of understanding?

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#207The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 10/28/23 at 8:11am

This production looks absolutely terrible. I wish they would shut the whole thing down and do a total design revamp like the original Aida did before it came to Broadway. 

Sammy232
#208The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 10/28/23 at 9:06am

AEA AGMA SM said: "Daniel Brody is credited with projection design. Whether he used AI tools to help create the images I can’t say, but that wouldn’t have necessarily saved the production any money."

Exactly. The more I think about this, the more I think someone is trying to start a scandal where there just isn't one. There is still a hired projection designer who is using a tool instead of drawing it all by hand. It's not as if the projection designer has been replaced by a computer. Here's a link of a very basic explanation of how this tool would work for projection design.  https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/ai.html

I understand the fear of AI in the arts, and agree there is plenty to be fearful of, but I'm just not sure this is it.

Broadway Bob* Profile Photo
Broadway Bob*
#209The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 10/28/23 at 10:30am

FANtomFollies said: "This production looks absolutely terrible. I wish they would shut the whole thing down and do a total design revamp like the original Aida did before it came to Broadway."

I have to agree! The more I think about this production the more problems I come up with. The physical production is horrendous both in looks and in practicality. Evilene almost got stuck going up a staircase that was too narrow for her! The choreography is uninspired and goes nowhere, especially the "Brand New Day" number which should stop the show but instead limps along with a lame "Seasons of Love" reference and really cheap looking costumes. Speaking of costumes, alot of the costumes are subpar one way or another. There are a few good ones, but few and far between.

The projections mentioned are ugly and distracting. And, worst of all, the script is already dated with lame attmpet to be modern with references to housing markets, karaoke, and such. This show needs more than a LOT of work if they want to come in to Bway next Spring and not be ripped to shreds.

I will say, however, the singing of this score is GLORIOUS! I haven't heard an entire show sung so well across the board in a long time! The acting... meh! A couple good performances but mostly walking through the motions to get to the next song. (And there is NO good reason for Glinda to come into Munchkinland to sing "He's the Wizard" other than producers thinking, "If we have Deborah Cox, let's get the most out of it." Completely out of place and I felt bad for the poor actress playing Addaperle.

<-- Tevye, FIDDLER ON THE ROOF, March 2018

slow_the_rain
#210The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 10/28/23 at 11:14am

Sammy232 said: "AEA AGMA SM said: "Daniel Brody is credited with projection design. Whether he used AI tools to help create the images I can’t say, but that wouldn’t have necessarily saved the production any money."

Exactly. The more I think about this, the more I think someone is trying to start a scandal where there just isn't one. There is still a hired projection designer who is using a tool instead of drawing it all by hand. It's not as if the projection designer has been replaced by a computer. Here's a link of a very basic explanation of how this tool would work for projection design.https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/ai.html

I understand the fear of AI in the arts, and agree there is plenty to be fearful of, but I'm just not sure this is it.
"

I fail to see how this isn't a cost-cutting measure that could ultimately pave the way for further use of AI generated scenic design within the theatre world. The utility and proliferation of generative AI in the digital art world is not wholly relevant. Just because a lot of people use it frequently and to better effect doesn't mean it's not ultimately costing people their jobs. The argument stands: They (producers, designer, I'm not sure who made the call here) used AI to facilitate the creation of a subpar product and did not pay for the additional time and human labor to refine the product. If we tolerate it and still shell out the money for tickets, they will continue to do so and we will only see more unfinished and obviously inhuman designs on stage.

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#211The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 10/28/23 at 11:25am

slow_the_rain said: "If we tolerate it and still shell out the money for tickets, they will continue to do so and we will only see more unfinished and obviously inhuman designs on stage."

I am an IATSE member and I fully expect another strike when the IATSE contract is up next year over the use of AI in design for Film, TV and Theatre. I hope there isn't another strike, but if there is it will be for a worthy cause that we have to get control of ASAP.

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#212The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 10/28/23 at 11:26am

This production is quite rough unfortunately, but has Schele Williams ever proven herself to be a director of quality? 

Introducing Glinda in act I is a huge mistake. “He’s the Wiz” doesn’t fit Cox or the character whatsoever. And boy, are there some rough notes being sung by this cast. The only ones I left with a favorable opinion on were Ramsey and the actress playing Dorothy. 

Im fine they introduced Evillene earlier, whatever. But it seems more so as an excuse to justify costs. Production after production, it proves more and more that The Wiz is a show best left in our memories. It has a more favorable view there. 

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#213The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 10/28/23 at 12:28pm

I had some high hopes for this but after seeing that lion costume and clips of at the end of act one I have no desire to see it now. I do hope they fix it. They should of got that Dutch production over. It looks stunning 

MikeInTheDistrict Profile Photo
MikeInTheDistrict
#214The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 10/28/23 at 4:45pm

I honestly think anyone attempting a new production of this musical should be required to go back and start with Geoffrey Holder's original production and, especially, his original costume designs and George Faison's original choreography. They are products of their times and would need to be updated, but they should be used as a starting point, IMO, because every subsequent attempt has been watered down and worse in comparison.

Rentaholic2
#215The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 11/1/23 at 9:32am

I really do want all the success in the world for this production, so I hope it lands on Broadway in excellent shape.

Re-listening to the recording of The Wiz LIVE!, I can't help but wish the plans to springboard that production into a Broadway revival had come into fruition.  It wasn't perfect, but I thought it was great overall - the cast was excellent, the orchestrations were fire, and the costumes, production value, etc. were generally as good as you would hope for The Wiz.  

CurtisTaylorJr2 Profile Photo
CurtisTaylorJr2
#216The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 11/1/23 at 1:46pm

I was underwhelmed the performance of "Ease On Down The Road" on the Tamron Hall Show. I was still considering going when it comes to the Pantages, but after reading this thread I'm not sure it's worth that money. This is not the sort of show that should be done cheaply for a major tour and Broadway revival.

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#217The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 11/1/23 at 2:12pm

I, too, was disappointed. Granted, it's a talk show appearance, and not a reproduction of how the song will be performed onstage, but none of the performers made much of an impression on me.

Updated On: 11/1/23 at 02:12 PM

Fosse76
#218The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 11/1/23 at 2:36pm

FANtomFollies said: "slow_the_rain said: "If we tolerate it and still shell out the money for tickets, they will continue to do so and we will only see more unfinished and obviously inhuman designs on stage."

I am an IATSE member and I fully expect another strike when the IATSE contract is up next year over the use of AI in design for Film, TV and Theatre. I hope there isn't another strike, but if there is it will be for a worthy cause that we have to get control of ASAP.
"

The U.S. Copyright Office is rejecting requests to register copyrights on AI, and at least one court has already ruled AI cannot be copyrighted. It certainly is lazy design work if you are a professional. Why would you rely on AI when anyone can then just take it?

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#219The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 11/2/23 at 7:47pm

Sammy232 said: "I use Photoshop all the time in my job and I don't think most folks realize that generative AI tools are a built in function on there now. So I'm not sure this is really shocking? More lack of understanding?"

No its shocking that a projection DESIGNER would want their name associated with this bad AI art. Yes AI is a TOOL that can be used in Photoshop in obvious ways (and not obvious ways where it's best served in taking out the tedium and not the skill it takes to be an artist). This is blatant bad looking "I gave an AI Generator a prompt and called it a day." AI art. Like they couldn't... just recreate what the AI made to make it a congrous whole? This is evidence of a lazy designer and out of touch producers (and potentially creatives) to allow this to pass because it's foolish. 

We traded sets for drops. We traded set piece drops for just 2d painted drops. We traded 2D painted drops for projections. We traded projections for AI GENERATED PROJECTIONS. they should all be ashamed. 

Voter
#220The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 11/2/23 at 7:51pm

I checked my email all day and I didn’t receive a code for tomorrow’s presale. Did anyone get one!

silent
#221The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 11/2/23 at 8:34pm

The e-mail indicated a code will be sent when the pre-sale goes live. 

Voter
#222The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 11/3/23 at 10:29am

Did anyone get a code for today’s presale?

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#223The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 11/3/23 at 10:45am

They sent it out 10 minutes after 

BdwayLife
#224The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 11/3/23 at 4:33pm

I signed up on the show’s website to receive a fan presale code, but I haven’t received one. Can you please share it? I would greatly appreciate it. :) 

Updated On: 11/3/23 at 04:33 PM

Videos