Hair, N2N or 9 to 5?

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#1Hair, N2N or 9 to 5?
Posted: 7/5/09 at 3:56am

I know,I hate these kind of threads too, but which one of those 3 shows would you pick if time allows only one show?

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

staticradar Profile Photo
staticradar
#2re: Hair, N2N or 9 to 5?
Posted: 7/5/09 at 4:01am

Hair was probably the greatest time I've ever had in a theater! I love the show and the cast!

If you can't see Hair then I would go for N2N.

You're always sorry, You're always grateful, You hold her, thinking: "I'm not alone." You're still alone.
-"Sorry-Grateful" Company

emilyfaye48 Profile Photo
emilyfaye48
#2re: Hair, N2N or 9 to 5?
Posted: 7/5/09 at 4:48am

although I'm obviously a huge 9 to 5 fan I'm gonna say Next To Normal. It's the kind of show you've got to see with the original cast

Without bread we'd just be hungry but without theatre we'd be dead

CyCoSpAz2 Profile Photo
CyCoSpAz2
#3re: Hair, N2N or 9 to 5?
Posted: 7/5/09 at 6:08am

Hair
9 to 5
Next to Normal

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#4re: Hair, N2N or 9 to 5?
Posted: 7/5/09 at 7:34am

Honestly I would say next to normal. It's original, and there's nothing out there like it again. The cast continues to take it to higher and higher levels, even when it doesn't seem like they can take it further. It's also (per theatre people I know at church and overheard discussing various shows) "the talk of the town" right now.

I really didn't care for Hair ~ found it completely dated when I could even understand what they were saying. Could not wait to get out of that theater. Yeah...I'm not drinking that kool-aid.

As far as 9 to 5... When the cast recording comes out, just get that, rent the movie, and insert the songs where they'd go and you'll save yourself a lot of monet.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

AndAllThatJazz22
#5re: Hair, N2N or 9 to 5?
Posted: 7/5/09 at 11:15am

Hair, without a doubt. In no way is Hair outdated. One of the things about Hair that's so special is how shockingly relevant it is to today. Hair, all the way.

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.

WishingOnlyWounds2
#6re: Hair, N2N or 9 to 5?
Posted: 7/5/09 at 11:16am

next to normal. I would say it's between Hair or that and I say N2N because you have a better chance of Hair being around a lot longer.

EDIT: I've also seen all three, and still say next to normal.

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot
Updated On: 7/5/09 at 11:16 AM

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#7re: Hair, N2N or 9 to 5?
Posted: 7/5/09 at 11:26am

HAIR or N2N. Those two are equal options over 9to5 and if you choose 9to5 over those two, you will definitely regret that decision. That being said, 9to5 was actually mildly enjoyable and better than what I was expecting. 9to5 will probably tour, so if you're not based in NYC, then skip it knowing you can catch it later. But if I would never had seen it, I wouldn't have missed out on anything.

HAIR is a VERY high-energy show with its moments of drama. Definitely draws you in and is a theatrical experience like none-other. I would want to see it again and again. And you can sit ANYWHERE in the theatre (Literally!) and will have the same experience. Front row orch to last row orch, front row mezz, last row mezz, and even the lottery box seats (which will get the most actor interaction).

NEXT TO NORMAL, on the other hand, is a great original piece and Alice Ripley's performance is not-to-be-missed. If you see N2N, I would suggest sitting anywhere downstairs and NOT in the mezz. You'll want to sit 15-20 rows back for this one to get the full picture of what the lighting designer (Kevin Adams) has done with the set. It's very visual and if you're too close you will definitely miss a lot of that.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

scott68 Profile Photo
scott68
#8re: Hair, N2N or 9 to 5?
Posted: 7/5/09 at 11:31am

You can't go wrong... as long as you don't go to 9 to 5.

"Why, I make more money than... than... than Calvin Coolidge! PUT TOGETHER!"
~Lina Lamont

My name wasn't, isn't, and will never be Scott.

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#9re: Hair, N2N or 9 to 5?
Posted: 7/5/09 at 11:42am

N2N if you want a Lifetime movie special set to music with a tacked on ending. Hair if you want to see a vibrant electric show which resonates through time with a spectacularly relevant message!
9 to 5 is you want to see a cute dated screen to stage adaptation.

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#10re: Hair, N2N or 9 to 5?
Posted: 7/5/09 at 12:12pm

Hair is all-around fun. There is a lot of cast-audience interaction, but it can generally be avoided if you don't sit on the aisle seat or front row. The music is great and the cast is having a blast. Despite Hair's serious themes, it made me happy, and I had fun.

Next to Normal is a completely original piece with (from what I hear) stellar performances. If that is what you crave, go see that.

9 to 5 is pure, fluffy fun with a fun score.

Note: I have not seen 9 to 5 or Next to Normal, so I can't fairly judge those. I made my comments based on what I have heard from others.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Robert Taylor Profile Photo
Robert Taylor
#11re: Hair, N2N or 9 to 5?
Posted: 7/5/09 at 12:14pm

Hair over N2N. By only a hair though.

obsessedjb Profile Photo
obsessedjb
#12re: Hair, N2N or 9 to 5?
Posted: 7/5/09 at 12:16pm

Hair

iflip4musicals Profile Photo
iflip4musicals
#13re: Hair, N2N or 9 to 5?
Posted: 7/5/09 at 1:21pm

I've seen all three (well n2n at second stage and arena) and I say it depends on what you're in the mood for.

I really, really liked 9 to 5, and I know I'm like the only one. If you're in the mood to see something just fun with incredible dancing and staging, that should be your pick. The music is really fun and all the leads are fantastic (and the ensemble members are on a whole other plane of incredibleness)

If you're in the mood for a fantastic, original show that will make you question and think, see next to normal. The music is Tony winning fantasticness, and no one should miss Alice Ripley's performance. However, if you're in the mood for a fun, feel good show, don't see it.

Hair, was incredible. Wonderfully done, incredible cast, staging, it's what everyone's been saying and more. If you want to see one of the best shows of the year, run to Hair. It has the fun and sillyness you can find at 9 to 5, with the serious moments you'll find at next to normal.

I guess by my blurbs, go with Hair!

"I've never encountered such religiously, you know, loyal fans as Broadway musical theater fans. It's amazing." --Allison Janney

muscle23ftl
#14re: Hair, N2N or 9 to 5?
Posted: 7/5/09 at 1:43pm

Ouch, I decided to go with N2N, but I can only afford to see it from the back of the mezzanine =(
So I'll go with that one. I hope that won't ruin my experience.

Thanks everyone!

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#15re: Hair, N2N or 9 to 5?
Posted: 7/5/09 at 2:04pm

Are you not eligible for student rush?

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

WishingOnlyWounds2
#16re: Hair, N2N or 9 to 5?
Posted: 7/5/09 at 2:06pm

Have fun, you made the right choice, in my opinion.

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

muscle23ftl
#17re: Hair, N2N or 9 to 5?
Posted: 7/5/09 at 2:13pm

CapnHook, the issue is that it's 3 of us going, and no one wants to go and wait in line, and we have only 2 days in NYC.
Im eligible for student rush seats, but my friends aren't.
Is it that bad? And we got the last row BTW, by I figured that the Booth theatre is kinda small and intimate. We are spending a lot by seeing Billy Elliot and WSS, so I wanted to be cheap when it comes to the 3rd show.

MrJNLong
#18re: Hair, N2N or 9 to 5?
Posted: 7/5/09 at 2:16pm

If you're anything like me, you definitely made the right choice. I saw all 3 shows and loved N2N. 9 to 5, although not bad, wasn't really anything of consequence. Wish I would have seen something else instead... And as for Hair, I totally thought I was going to love it, but ended up kind of not getting it. Lots of energetic people "sticking it to the man" but somewhere I missed something as far as a coherent plotline and character arcs. Gavin Creel and Caissie Levy seemed to be the only ones really interested in telling some sort of story. But hey, that was just me and I am obviously in the minority...Really enjoyed seeing passionate performers though...
But N2N had even more passionate performers, plus it had a storyline and well-written characters with character arcs! So, moral of the story: I hope you are anything like me, because then you will be glad you made the choice you did. re: Hair, N2N or 9 to 5?

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#19re: Hair, N2N or 9 to 5?
Posted: 7/5/09 at 2:17pm

"I really, really liked 9 to 5, and I know I'm like the only one."

No, you aren't!

You know, you guys don't HAVE to sit together...

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

muscle23ftl
#20re: Hair, N2N or 9 to 5?
Posted: 7/5/09 at 2:52pm

I know, we don't have to sit together, but THEY want to.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#21re: Hair, N2N or 9 to 5?
Posted: 7/5/09 at 3:06pm

Capn ~ the next to normal rush is NOT limited to students. It's general.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

claudioislove Profile Photo
claudioislove
#22re: Hair, N2N or 9 to 5?
Posted: 7/5/09 at 9:26pm

HAIR HAIR HAIR HAIR HAIR.

Honestly, the greatest theater experience of my life.

Because I look different you think I'm subversive.

rokyerhartout Profile Photo
rokyerhartout
#23re: Hair, N2N or 9 to 5?
Posted: 7/5/09 at 9:55pm

HAIR- no doubt about it!

May I take your hat, your coat, and your swastikas?

kyle. Profile Photo
kyle.
#24re: Hair, N2N or 9 to 5?
Posted: 7/5/09 at 10:43pm

west side story is AWFUL! have you bought tickets to that yet? if not ditch WSS for 9 to 5. you will have a FAR better time at 9 to 5. WSS is very hard to sit through, just plain boring and bland in every way.