pixeltracker

Whoopi confirms SISTER ACT to take Broadway to heaven in 2011!

Whoopi confirms SISTER ACT to take Broadway to heaven in 2011!

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#1Whoopi confirms SISTER ACT to take Broadway to heaven in 2011!
Posted: 1/29/10 at 5:13pm

She confirmed it on the Joy Behar Show last night! SO SO SO stoked!

If they are smart they will wait until summer/fall '11 because the competition (CMIYC, LND, etc) will be VERY stiff next season.

P

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#2Whoopi confirms SISTER ACT to take Broadway to heaven in 2011!
Posted: 1/29/10 at 5:18pm

Cannot wait! I sure hope Patina remains with the production.

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#3Whoopi confirms SISTER ACT to take Broadway to heaven in 2011!
Posted: 1/29/10 at 5:27pm

Cannot wait! I sure hope Patina remains with the production.

I think that is a given.

I can NOT wait!!

emilyfaye48 Profile Photo
emilyfaye48
#4Whoopi confirms SISTER ACT to take Broadway to heaven in 2011!
Posted: 1/29/10 at 6:00pm

omg amazing

Without bread we'd just be hungry but without theatre we'd be dead

Dantes
#5Whoopi confirms SISTER ACT to take Broadway to heaven in 2011!
Posted: 1/29/10 at 6:01pm

Hmmm its a very average show

former sadm2 (wink)

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#6Whoopi confirms SISTER ACT to take Broadway to heaven in 2011!
Posted: 1/29/10 at 6:05pm

It has a FANTASTIC score. I have no idea how it plays onstage, but that score is a knock-out and NO ONE can deny the power of "Take Me To Heaven" and the ingenious way it is reprised, as well as "Fabulous, Baby", one of the best "I Want" songs since "I Am The Greatest Star" in FUNNY GIRL.

P

#7Whoopi confirms SISTER ACT to take Broadway to heaven in 2011!
Posted: 1/29/10 at 7:36pm

The score sucks. The script is pathetic. Easily the worst prospective Broadway show in history. No way this is successful.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#8Whoopi confirms SISTER ACT to take Broadway to heaven in 2011!
Posted: 1/29/10 at 8:19pm

Alright. Yay for positivity!!

I'm very, very excited for this.

rmusic11322
#9Whoopi confirms SISTER ACT to take Broadway to heaven in 2011!
Posted: 1/29/10 at 8:34pm

JoeKv99 - Atleast it's not Spiderman.

Robert Taylor Profile Photo
Robert Taylor
#10Whoopi confirms SISTER ACT to take Broadway to heaven in 2011!
Posted: 1/29/10 at 9:15pm

This is very exciting! I just bought the CD and it's such a strong score...one of the best I've heard in awhile. I concur with the above poster about "Take Me To Heaven" and its reprise, but have lately fallen in love with "The Life I Never Led."

Can't wait for this!

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#11Whoopi confirms SISTER ACT to take Broadway to heaven in 2011!
Posted: 1/29/10 at 9:23pm

I saw the show in August in London, and loved it! It was really, really good.

This is great news! When actors, stage crew, and box office personal can work - people can go to the theatre, spend their money, and have an enjoyable experience - that's a very, very good thing!

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#12Whoopi confirms SISTER ACT to take Broadway to heaven in 2011!
Posted: 1/29/10 at 9:28pm

This production started at the Pasadena Playhouse which, sadly, announced today that it's having to close it's doors as the State Theatre of California on Feb 7.

NOW IS THE TIME. Please tell the Mayor of Pasadena that the closing of the Pasadena Playhouse is unacceptable: bbogaard@cityofpasadena.net

Full Story

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

rogerdavis2
#13Whoopi confirms SISTER ACT to take Broadway to heaven in 2011!
Posted: 1/29/10 at 11:35pm

I just saw Sister Act in London over the holidays and loved it. It's obviously not a show that's going to redefine musical theater, but you will leave the theater with a smile on your face. The London Palladium was packed and it's def not a small theater by any means. I think the show even broke a couple of house records when I was there. The crowd seemed to love it. It's a fun, light show. The kind of show that NY snobs will likely look down upon... they are often too busy hating things and being serious to actually have fun. :) There is no doubt that Patina Miller is a STAR... she commands the stage. WOW WOW WOW is all I can say about this girl! The entire cast was first rate. I hope it comes to NYC and does well.

gypsy4
#14Whoopi confirms SISTER ACT to take Broadway to heaven in 2011!
Posted: 1/30/10 at 2:37am

I have to say Sister Act is magnifacent. who doesn't like "Sunday morning Fever"

jamiekennywicked Profile Photo
jamiekennywicked
#15Whoopi confirms SISTER ACT to take Broadway to heaven in 2011!
Posted: 1/30/10 at 4:47am

The score sucks. The script is pathetic. Easily the worst prospective Broadway show in history. No way this is successful.

Broke London Palladium box offices in London so....

''With the number of people I ignore, I'm lucky I work at all in this town'' - Helena Bonham Carter

#16Whoopi confirms SISTER ACT to take Broadway to heaven in 2011!
Posted: 1/30/10 at 5:48am

Oh I have no idea, actually. I was "PGenre-ing" which is blasting a show you've never seen. All the kids are doing it these days.

Princeton2
#17Whoopi confirms SISTER ACT to take Broadway to heaven in 2011!
Posted: 1/30/10 at 6:33am

IF Legally Blonde and the like can play Broadway, than this sure as hell can. It is a fun show, not life changing but just fun. The score, for the most part, is strong and the cast (in London anyway) is sensational, loads of energy and talent on one stage.

frapperia
#18Whoopi confirms SISTER ACT to take Broadway to heaven in 2011!
Posted: 1/30/10 at 10:59am

Meh. Good score - some really brilliant songs - but terrible, slow book. A mediocre show, all round.

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#19Whoopi confirms SISTER ACT to take Broadway to heaven in 2011!
Posted: 1/30/10 at 12:06pm

I'm so excited about this! I love some of the songs, "Fabulous, Baby!" is constantly on repeat! I think the name will sell it self, and with the help of Whoopi and word of mouth it will do great!

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#20Whoopi confirms SISTER ACT to take Broadway to heaven in 2011!
Posted: 1/30/10 at 3:26pm

Counting down to EricMontreal's inevitable post about how this isn't "real" disco music....

P

P.S. (Whoopi confirms SISTER ACT to take Broadway to heaven in 2011! just teasing!)

Marlothom Profile Photo
Marlothom
#21Whoopi confirms SISTER ACT to take Broadway to heaven in 2011!
Posted: 3/14/10 at 8:26pm

Just saw this in London yesterday, wow, what a fun night at the theatre! I was dancing in my seat. A few thoughts (I guess spoiler alert?) - in London, you have to buy a programme, and so I did not "get" that this took place in the 70s until Act 2(maybe I am an idiot), so all the men looked very silly to me until I made that realization. Some of the scenes play very slowly - the show really starts once Dolores gets into the convent; some of male scenes are weak. All of the large group scenes (fight scenes) are very sloppy.

for casting:
Would Betty Buckley consider the supporting role of Mother Superior if they beefed up the part?
Leslie Kritzer for Sr. Mr. Roberts

"Observe how bravely I conceal this dreadful dreadful shame I feel."

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#22Whoopi confirms SISTER ACT to take Broadway to heaven in 2011!
Posted: 3/14/10 at 9:14pm

Glad you had a good time.

I had no desire to see Sister Act, but did on a whim and loved it.

crushgroove
#23Whoopi confirms SISTER ACT to take Broadway to heaven in 2011!
Posted: 3/14/10 at 9:35pm

Leslie would be fantastic in that role...good call!

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#24Whoopi confirms SISTER ACT to take Broadway to heaven in 2011!
Posted: 3/15/10 at 6:46am

Aw, I liked Sister Act. Granted, I've seen FAR better, but if you just treat it as a live-action cartoon, you'll like it a lot better than if you try cleaving to the memory of the movie, or go looking for something resembling a semi-sensible plot or in-depth characterisation. YMMV on the score; my dad commented that while he enjoyed it, he couldn't remember a single song once he left the theatre, whereas I've gotta give Menken his credit, 'cos some of those numbers are proper catchy. I think we pretty much all agreed that it was very flat and dull until it got to the convent, but once the nuns came out to play, it improved a whole bunch. A lot of people find the male characters pointless, annoying, and incredibly underwritten. I personally enjoyed them quite a bit, although wouldn't argue with the "underwritten" claim.

Anyway, if you want a fun frothy musical filled with sequin-wearing nuns, I guarantee you won't get a better offer. Ever. Take it!

Videos