pixeltracker

So black to you, perhaps. So red to me...

So black to you, perhaps. So red to me...

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#1So black to you, perhaps. So red to me...
Posted: 3/11/10 at 10:40am

Is anyone else going to the first preview of Red tonight?

I read Mark Rothko's wikipedia page and he sounds like fascinating subject material for a play. I love Sunday in Park With George so much, and it sounds like this could be in a similiar vein.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#2So black to you, perhaps. So red to me...
Posted: 3/11/10 at 10:59am

I'll be there.

angelplays
#2So black to you, perhaps. So red to me...
Posted: 3/11/10 at 11:44am

I'm going tomorrow night. I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

Yero my Hero Profile Photo
Yero my Hero
#3So black to you, perhaps. So red to me...
Posted: 3/11/10 at 1:10pm

I just bought $25 tickets for March 28th. Can't wait!

Nothing matters but knowing nothing matters. ~ Wicked
Everything in life is only for now. ~ Avenue Q
There is no future, there is no past. I live this moment as my last. ~ Rent

"He's a tramp, but I love him."

Mark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
#4So black to you, perhaps. So red to me...
Posted: 3/11/10 at 4:28pm

Hope you love it. I saw the play knowing nothing about Rothko, and WOW was I impressed by this play. The writing and performances are BRILLIANT!

eml358 Profile Photo
eml358
#5So black to you, perhaps. So red to me...
Posted: 3/11/10 at 4:48pm

Just saw it. It was unbelievable... Molina was fantastic as was Redmayne. DEFINITELY worth seeing!

laura is broadway Profile Photo
laura is broadway
#6So black to you, perhaps. So red to me...
Posted: 3/11/10 at 9:15pm

I got really excited thinking this was a thread about Sunday in the Park with George, haha.

defyingravity11 Profile Photo
defyingravity11
#7So black to you, perhaps. So red to me...
Posted: 3/11/10 at 10:27pm

I'm seeing this on Sunday! I'm getting excited!

"In theater, the process of it is the experience. Everyone goes through the process, and everyone has the experience together. It doesn't last - only in people's memories and in their hearts. That's the beauty and sadness of it. But that's life - beauty and the sadness. And that is why theater is life." - Sherie Rene Scott

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#8So black to you, perhaps. So red to me...
Posted: 3/12/10 at 1:03pm

No one posted their thought??

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#9So black to you, perhaps. So red to me...
Posted: 3/12/10 at 1:50pm

ljay- I turned in early last night and didn't get a chance to type up my thoughts. Overall I thought it was terrific. Both actors were outstanding, and I would hope both actors be nominated for Tonys.

For one of the few times this year I actually thought about something while at the theater, and that was rather freshing. I think Rothko had an interesting life, and his ego, pretensions, perfectionistic attitude and passion for painting really made for a great character for Molina to sink his teeth into. Anytime he started yelling (usually out of nowhere) I thought it was pretty terrifying.

Redmayne had more of a character arc and as we watched Rothko's assistant become more and more sure of himself. The last 10 minutes or so was riveting as well as (spoiler?) a scene were they crank some classical music and paint an entire white canvas red in about a minute and half or so. It's thrilling and they both are covered with red paint by the end. (end spoiler)

Some may be bored with this one, but I really dug it and may try to see it again before the limited run is up. If you're a fan of art and/or really awesome acting then this is a must-see.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

ruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
#10So black to you, perhaps. So red to me...
Posted: 3/12/10 at 2:27pm

Saw this @ the Donmar in London and I have to say, Molina was great but Redmayne's performance was SUPERB! His Ken's long-waited confrontation with Rothoko near the end was absolutely thrilling! I walked out of the theatre overhearing audience member saying 'that face was born to act, just look at it!'... cannot agree more! I hope he wins the Oliviers and hope he gets Tony nominated!!!!
I hope US audience/critics will love them & the production!
And check out my drawing of the show in www.freewebs.com/felixchan

All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings
Updated On: 3/12/10 at 02:27 PM

angelplays
#11So black to you, perhaps. So red to me...
Posted: 3/12/10 at 11:40pm

I just got in a while ago fro seeing it tonight, and I'm still processing the play, but that's a very good thing. Hands down the best play I've seen this season at the very least. There's so much there to process, I'm definitely planning a return visit.

Simply excellent.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#12So black to you, perhaps. So red to me...
Posted: 3/13/10 at 2:05am

I saw the show last night and was extremely surprised. I have to say I wasn't too excited about this one. I didn't even know what it was about going into it, not even that it was about art. But having said that I was actually blown away by this one. The acting was superb and the script is so incredibly smart. I have a feeling this show might become a big surprise hit and I do encourage anyone able to see it to do so.

frapperia
#13So black to you, perhaps. So red to me...
Posted: 3/13/10 at 9:31am

I really don't get what you all are getting so excited about! I saw it at the Donmar and thought it was incredibly dull. I struggled to stay awake!

Jordan Catalano
#14So black to you, perhaps. So red to me...
Posted: 3/13/10 at 10:12am

This really is a play people are going to love or hate. That was the first thought I had after it ended.

angelplays
#15So black to you, perhaps. So red to me...
Posted: 3/13/10 at 4:31pm

I agree jordan. It will definitely be polarizing. I personally found it spellbinding from the first moment.

Jordan Catalano
#16So black to you, perhaps. So red to me...
Posted: 3/13/10 at 4:33pm

Spellbinding is a perfect word to describe how I felt, as well. The music had such a big part to do with that as well. The scenes set solely to the records playing were very emotional and effective for me.

MiracleElixir Profile Photo
MiracleElixir
#17So black to you, perhaps. So red to me...
Posted: 3/13/10 at 4:43pm

"This really is a play people are going to love or hate. That was the first thought I had after it ended."

Dare I say, one I think only DUMB people will hate.

Went last night (one of the $25 seats), and was entranced. Standing ovation for Molina and Redmayne, but in one of the few times I've witnessed this on Broadway, after they did their two sets of bows, the audience kept roaring, and they came out a third time after the lights were starting to come up.

Audience seemed to love it.

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#18So black to you, perhaps. So red to me...
Posted: 3/13/10 at 5:39pm

I can see why some people might not be blown away by the play itself, but the actors are absurdly wonderful, and the creative team is one of my favourites (Grandage + Oram + Austin + Cork! *nerdgasms*), so the production overall comes out on top.

I did have an inkling that it might play better in the US than in the UK. We'll have to work out some way of quantifying that to see if I'm right or not. But it's totally worth seeing if you possibly can, if only because Eddie Redmayne is stunning in oh so many ways.

Updated On: 3/13/10 at 05:39 PM

angelplays
#19So black to you, perhaps. So red to me...
Posted: 3/13/10 at 7:00pm

I agree with you MiracleElixir. I was in the back of the orchestra, and it was one of the rare times when people were starting the standing ovation before the stage lights even came up for curtain call. And yes, it definitely was nice to see them come back out again as the lights were going up. Truly a magical experience.

willep
#20So black to you, perhaps. So red to me...
Posted: 3/15/10 at 4:15pm

Does Red have a student or general rush? If not, how are the $25 seats in the mezzanine?

theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#21So black to you, perhaps. So red to me...
Posted: 3/20/10 at 11:26pm

I was in the very back row of the mezz. So uncomfortable, but so worth it for this play.

I think it's basically bloody brilliant. The moving canvas stuff goes on a little too long for my taste. I get why it's there, but I feel like it's adding a lot of time. Molina and Redmayne fill them well, but it really adds a lot of time.

Speaking of, both of them are fantastic. Didn't feel like acting at points. Two men, talking, about art, passionately.

Really, GO see this.

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.

Scripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
#22So black to you, perhaps. So red to me...
Posted: 3/21/10 at 4:05pm

Eddies's just got the Olivier for Best Supporting Actor in a Play.

TimesSquareRegular Profile Photo
TimesSquareRegular
#23So black to you, perhaps. So red to me...
Posted: 3/21/10 at 10:42pm

MiracleElixir wrote: "Dare I say, one I think only DUMB people will hate".

Making a statement that is so ignorant and arrogant automatically makes anything else you say suspect.

2016 These Paper Bullets (1/02) Our Mother's Brief Affair (1/06), Dragon Boat Racing (1/08), Howard - reading (1/28), Shear Madness (2/10), Fun Home (2/17), Women Without Men (2/18), Trip Of Love (2/21), The First Gentleman -reading (2/22), Southern Comfort (2/23), The Robber Bridegroom (2/24), She Loves Me (3/11), Shuffle Along (4/12), Shear Madness (4/14), Dear Evan Hansen (4/16), American Psycho (4/23), Tuck Everlasting (5/10), Indian Summer (5/15), Peer Gynt (5/18), Broadway's Rising Stars (7/11), Trip of Love (7/27), CATS (7/31), The Layover (8/17), An Act Of God (8/31), The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (8/24), Heisenberg (10/12), Fiddler On The Roof (11/02), Othello (11/23), Dear Evan Hansen (11/26), Les Liaisons Dangereuses (12/21) 2017 In Transit (2/01), Groundhog Day (4/04), Ring Twice For Miranda (4/07), Church And State (4/10), The Lucky One (4/19), Ernest Shackleton Loves Me (5/16), Building The Wall (5/19), Indecent (6/01), Six Degrees of Separation (6/09), Marvin's Room (6/28), A Doll's House Pt 2 (7/25) Curvy Widow (8/01)

After Eight
#24So black to you, perhaps. So red to me...
Posted: 3/22/10 at 9:52am

"This really is a play people are going to love or hate."

Or have mixed feelings about, which is how I felt.

I guess that covers all bases.