pixeltracker

Challenging musicals for high schools

Challenging musicals for high schools

defygravity24 Profile Photo
defygravity24
#1Challenging musicals for high schools
Posted: 3/25/10 at 8:37pm

I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas for a show for kids around high school age. We're doing Once on this Island now (which I love!!!) but our director wants our input on shows. Does anyone have any ideas, maybe something newer or more modern (like spelling bee) but nothing inappropriate (like Spring Awakening), and definately challenging.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#2Challenging musicals for high schools
Posted: 3/25/10 at 8:43pm

It is a pet peeve to see the word 'inappropriate' thrown around to mean 'profanity, sexual references, adult themes' or whatever - Spring Awakening is extremely appropriate for a high school audience.

If 'inappropriate' means "parents and overjealous catholic school teachers would complain because it doesn't follow the teachings of their very old book" then yes, I guess it would be inappropriate.

(Even though this is irrelevant because Spring Awakening doesn't have amateur rights yet, does it?)

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#2Challenging musicals for high schools
Posted: 3/25/10 at 10:02pm

The challenge is to do any musical really well.
Can anyone name a musical that wouldn't be a challenge to do well, for high school students or anyone else?

PiraguaGuy2
#3Challenging musicals for high schools
Posted: 3/25/10 at 10:43pm

Cabaret
Pippin (if done correctly)
Company
Sweeney Todd
A Chorus Line
Rent

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#4Challenging musicals for high schools
Posted: 3/26/10 at 9:49am

Well, if you do "Oh Calcutta!" I bet you'd get the Pope's blessing.

....but the world goes 'round

defygravity24 Profile Photo
defygravity24
#5Challenging musicals for high schools
Posted: 3/26/10 at 4:11pm

thanks! those are all great ideas

Mattbrain
#6Challenging musicals for high schools
Posted: 3/26/10 at 4:23pm

I don't know if we should include Sondheim not because he's inappropriate but because his music is so difficult to learn.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#7Challenging musicals for high schools
Posted: 3/26/10 at 4:59pm

Follies
70, Girls, 70
Naked Boys Singing
Starlight Express
The Black Crook

AwesomeDanny
#8Challenging musicals for high schools
Posted: 3/26/10 at 5:46pm

qolbinau, while Spring Awakening seems to be fine for high school students to see, that doesn't mean they should perform it. It would actually be illegal to do the sex scene at the end of Act I. Jennifer Damiano was set to understudy the role of Wendla in the original cast, but they had to change it when they realized she was only fifteen years old. Also, two high school actors would probably be extremely uncomfortable being intimate in that scene.

greensgreens Profile Photo
greensgreens
#9Challenging musicals for high schools
Posted: 3/26/10 at 6:03pm

If only the rights to Starlight Express were available. I'd pay serious cash to see a high school do this one.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#10Challenging musicals for high schools
Posted: 3/26/10 at 6:43pm

A nearby school is doing Ragtime this spring.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

Taryn Profile Photo
Taryn
#11Challenging musicals for high schools
Posted: 3/26/10 at 7:14pm

My high school did Into the Woods my senior year. I think it's a great show that's just on the edge of challenging, mature material that high schoolers can still perform.

gcontini2 Profile Photo
gcontini2
#12Challenging musicals for high schools
Posted: 3/27/10 at 2:46pm

Newintown - I don't know if you were being serious (because they would be challenging), but those choices are absolutely hilarious...! :)

btw, does The Black Crook even exist in any form still?

junkyard
#13Challenging musicals for high schools
Posted: 3/27/10 at 7:32pm

advice from an old actor, who has paid off his mortgage and still loves his old west village neighborhood......you sound very angry,,,,,lighten up

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#14Challenging musicals for high schools
Posted: 3/27/10 at 8:16pm

Define: Challenging

But here are some of the more successful and enjoyable musicals I've directed recently...all with their own challenges.

Thoroughly Modern Millie (set/costume challenges)
Sweeney Todd-School Edition (music)
West Side Story (music, choreography)
Urinetown (publicity, awareness, style)
Les Miz School Edition (sets, music)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Stage Door Sally Profile Photo
Stage Door Sally
#15Challenging musicals for high schools
Posted: 3/27/10 at 10:13pm

I've seen a very good high school production of Urinetown. It's definitely challenging, but it's very rewarding to do well. Audiences usually love it too, and many haven't seen it.

MissVelmaKelly25 Profile Photo
MissVelmaKelly25
#16Challenging musicals for high schools
Posted: 4/6/10 at 5:01pm

haha, i think my school has the same criteria. except i don't know if they care whether it's appropriate. they just did a chorus line, so i don't know.

i don't know how appropriate your school wants the musical to be, so i'll just give you a list of complicated musicals and you can decide for yourself.

-a chorus line
-city of angels
-west side story
-sunday in the park with george
-company (the cast is a little small, so it might not work out)
-into the woods (no chorus, but lots of difficult yet singable music, and lots of good parts)
-sweeney todd (i'm still waiting for this one to come to my school)
-damn yankees (not so sure about this one since it's very dated, but lots of dancing, and you have to be pretty athletic to be in it)
-chicago!!!! (i hope you have the rights)
-cabaret (i saw this one at hunter high school and i can say it's hard and very mature but still possible to pull off)
basically, almost anything by stephen sondheim, cy coleman, or kander and ebb is complicated enough.

i don't quite know what you mean by complicated, but i'm doing my best, so don't blame me if your school doesn't like these.

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#17Challenging musicals for high schools
Posted: 4/6/10 at 5:10pm

Actually the Pope is going to be allowing productions of Naked Boys Singing at all the Catholic Boy Schools this year.

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

ActingIsLovee
#18Challenging musicals for high schools
Posted: 4/6/10 at 5:13pm

Carousel perhaps? We just did it and it was pretty challenging.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#19Challenging musicals for high schools
Posted: 4/6/10 at 5:19pm

My school this past year put on Smokey Joe's Cafe, and it was definitely the most challenging show we've ever done, at least musically. 42 songs, most of which are group numbers with a lot of harmony and choreography. Fortunately, it turned out very well, but it took a lot of work.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

AwesomeDanny
#20Challenging musicals for high schools
Posted: 4/6/10 at 5:50pm

Last year, my high school did Company, and it turned out very well, but only because there was a phenomenal actor playing Bobby. It's important when choosing a show to play to your school's talent. If you have a very good soprano who is a great actress and singer and can command the stage well, you should do Candide for the leading soprano as opposed to Evita, in which the star is a belter who also sings down to a low E. If you have a lot of good dancers, you might do West Side Story instead of Les Miz to showcase this. To do a challenging musical well, you need to make sure that you are strong in the areas of complication that the musical has. I'm not saying it should practically be cast before auditions, but you need to play to your strengths in order to make your show look good. So, to better answer the question of a what musical your school should do, we would need to know the following:

What areas do your productions usually excel in? (Singing, dancing, acting, sets, costumes, etc.)
What are the limits that students would feel comfortable singing within? (Basically, don't do shows where the leads are high tenors if nobody can hit the high notes)
What areas of your productions are weaker? (Don't do West Side Story or A Chorus Line if most people are weaker dancers. These dance-heavy shows usually require an entire company to be very good at dancing)
How big of a cast do you want? (Most schools like doing shows with big ensembles so many people can be in the show. In this case, you wouldn't do a show that generally has a small cast with few ensemble numbers)
How many shows does your school do each year? (It's more acceptable to do a show with a smaller cast if you do another show with a big cast. Last year, when my school did Company in the fall, they did Once on this Island in the spring to give more people performance opportunities)
What are the content limits at your school? (As I said before, my school was able to do Company last year without any problems. I'm sure that some other schools might not be okay with students performing this musical and would rather stick with G-rated material. What shows has your school chosen in the past?)

There are many more questions to ask yourself, but these were the ones that came to my head quickly.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#21Challenging musicals for high schools
Posted: 4/6/10 at 7:01pm

Sideshow

Poster Emeritus

craig238
#22Challenging musicals for high schools
Posted: 4/6/10 at 10:41pm

How about EASY musicals with minimal set construction and a cast of not more than 8-10 ??

Madcap Maisie Profile Photo
Madcap Maisie
#23.
Posted: 4/6/10 at 10:48pm

"You know what really makes me mad? When girls think they can sing just because they are on the Disney Channel."
Updated On: 7/8/14 at 10:48 PM

aspiringactress Profile Photo
aspiringactress
#24Challenging musicals for high schools
Posted: 4/6/10 at 10:52pm

...or ANY production of Grease.

"We don't value the lily less for not being made of flint and built to last. Life's bounty is in it's flow, later is too late. Where is the song when it's been sung, the dance when it's been danced? It's only we humans who want to own the future too." - Tom Stoppard, Shipwreck