Dreamgirls, which recording?

BwayTday Profile Photo
BwayTday
#1Dreamgirls, which recording?
Posted: 3/29/10 at 11:06pm

I am looking for some opinions. Based on sound quality, voices, and orchestra, which recording do you recommend?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#2Dreamgirls, which recording?
Posted: 3/29/10 at 11:30pm

This is a tough call. If you can ONLY get one, I'd say to get the 2001 concert since it's the complete show with really great performances. However, if you can get two (and look on Amazon for used copies to save money and get them both) get the original cast as well. Make sure you get the new expanded version with the added songs so you can get a small taste of how amazing the OBC was.

emilyfaye48 Profile Photo
emilyfaye48
#2Dreamgirls, which recording?
Posted: 3/29/10 at 11:37pm

agree. the concert is amazing, but if possible you have got to have the OBC. J. Holiday is where it's at

Without bread we'd just be hungry but without theatre we'd be dead

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#3Dreamgirls, which recording?
Posted: 3/29/10 at 11:45pm

I vote for the concert as well just because it's so complete and it's a live recording so there's a lot of energy. You might also want to wait for the new national tour cast recording.

defyingravity11 Profile Photo
defyingravity11
#4Dreamgirls, which recording?
Posted: 3/30/10 at 12:00am

Definitely the Actor's Fund concert! Although Headley strains on the higher notes, I listen to this recording far more often than the OBCR.

"In theater, the process of it is the experience. Everyone goes through the process, and everyone has the experience together. It doesn't last - only in people's memories and in their hearts. That's the beauty and sadness of it. But that's life - beauty and the sadness. And that is why theater is life." - Sherie Rene Scott

BroadwayEnthusiast2 Profile Photo
BroadwayEnthusiast2
#5Dreamgirls, which recording?
Posted: 3/30/10 at 12:18am

The OBCR was a big disappointment for me; it is poorly recorded and a lot of content was not recorded.

"I mean, sitting side by side with another man watching Patti LuPone play Rose in GYPSY on Broadway is essentially the equivalent of having hardcore sex." -Wanna Be A Foster. "Say 'Goody.' Say 'Bubbi.'" ... "That's it. Exactly as if it were 'Goody.' Now I know you're gonna sing 'Goody' this time, but nevertheless..."

choitoy Profile Photo
choitoy
#6Dreamgirls, which recording?
Posted: 3/30/10 at 1:31am

This, like the Follies cast album recording, is another argument for the ages.

The OBCR, while having the iconic performances of the original cast (and especially Jennifer Holliday), it is severely truncated, and the songs are presented "pop" album style, with fade outs for many songs, instead of the "button". If they actually recorded the full score without the "pop" style, there would be no argument here about which one to get.

The Actor's Fund concert, while being a complete recording, is recorded live, so you have to live with all the audience cheering and hand-clapping through the songs. I also am in the minority of not really enjoying all the performances. Audra's voice seemed to be too "strong" for Deena (the whole point is that Effie is supposed to have the bigger, stronger voice, I thought). And I didn't enjoy Lillias' showboating on "And I'm Telling You". All this may have been fine sitting there and watching the concert, but as a pure cast album, it doesn't quite work for me.

There's always the movie soundtrack, which I end up listening to the most, even though there are new songs, some cut songs, and some re-arranged songs, but the cast gives a fairly strong performance.

And there's also the Korean cast album, which you can probably skip, though it is the basis for the current tour (and it wouldn't surprise me if they just re-recorded the vocals of the girls on the current tour and place them over the tracks on the Korean CD, which means another Dreamgirls "highlights" album, unfortunately).

Xanadu! Can't cry on cue!

Q
#7Dreamgirls, which recording?
Posted: 3/30/10 at 1:48am

OBC.

#8Dreamgirls, which recording?
Posted: 3/30/10 at 12:10pm

Lillias White is amazing. Her "I'm Telling you" is wonderful but her "I am Changing" might as well be a master class on how to sell a a song. Astounding.
Updated On: 3/30/10 at 12:10 PM

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#9Dreamgirls, which recording?
Posted: 3/30/10 at 12:13pm

Considering the original cast hated the OBC recording, I would say the concert version.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#10Dreamgirls, which recording?
Posted: 3/30/10 at 12:49pm

Definitely the concert.

But as has been mentioned there are elements from several that make them all worth having.

The concert is the most complete, the OBCR has J-Hol doing her thang, and the sdtk has the new songs.

Best advice:
Get the concert, but download the new movie songs and
J-Hol's "I'm Not Telling You".

....but the world goes 'round

#11Dreamgirls, which recording?
Posted: 3/30/10 at 1:00pm

Or just hire me to follow you around singing the score. I got a whole mess o' sassy black women in me.

Gothampc
#12Dreamgirls, which recording?
Posted: 3/30/10 at 2:36pm

Some very good points here.

The OBC is a missed opportunity. Why they couldn't pull it together properly is a mystery. The show was very successful. It could have sold well as a 2 album set and they could have included much more music.

The concert version is the full show and that's a huge plus. However, Lillias White's trying to sing every note God created on every single song is annoying. I feel "And I Am Telling You" is almost ruined by all the curlicues she puts in there. The song was not made to embellish but to belt to the back of the house to close Act 1. The song stands on its own without need of improvement. And I love Audra McDonald, but her voice is too operatic (proper?) for the style of the music.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#13Dreamgirls, which recording?
Posted: 3/30/10 at 3:09pm

...Lillias White's trying to sing every note God created on every single song is annoying.

Agreed. Sounds more like yodeling to me.

slmlbl Profile Photo
slmlbl
#14Dreamgirls, which recording?
Posted: 3/30/10 at 4:17pm

this is the one case where i listen to the movie more than the OBC.

[tos]fan999 Profile Photo
[tos]fan999
#15Dreamgirls, which recording?
Posted: 3/30/10 at 4:21pm

^^^Agreed. Although I made a special playlist and put Holliday's "And I'm Telling You..." and Loretta Divine's "Ain't No Party" at the end...I wish they kept that song in the movie, Anika Noni Rose nails it at her audition.

<-----Bernadette Peters and Alexander Hanson in A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC.

Send in the clowns...Send in the crowds!

"I prefer neurotic people. I like to hear rumblings beneath the surface."-Stephen Sondheim

BwayTday Profile Photo
BwayTday
#16Dreamgirls, which recording?
Posted: 3/30/10 at 7:13pm

Well, I guess I am going to go with the concert version. Just because it is complete and I like the quality(from itunes previews). Does anyone know if it is confirmed that the new tour is making a cast album? I love the duet version of "Listen".

Thank you all for the help.

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#17Dreamgirls, which recording?
Posted: 3/30/10 at 9:32pm

The tour announced they were doing a recording but nothing has come of it. Since the tour is well on its way, and we still have no news, I assume it's not happening. I would like a complete studio recording though.

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

pushdabutton Profile Photo
pushdabutton
#18Dreamgirls, which recording?
Posted: 3/31/10 at 8:02am

Both. If you can only choose one, I would go with the OBC.

Ryguy7 Profile Photo
Ryguy7
#19Dreamgirls, which recording?
Posted: 3/31/10 at 11:58am

Is it wrong that I was going to reply 'the movie one'...?

preparing for backlash..

Dreamboy85
#20Dreamgirls, which recording?
Posted: 8/2/10 at 6:37am

I agree... I am not mad about Audra McDonald as Deena or Heather Headley as Lorrell (who I love out side of this), I live for Lilias AND you get to hear a quality (a none 20 plus y/o bootleg) performance of the entire show!

bryan2
#21Dreamgirls, which recording?
Posted: 8/2/10 at 2:51pm

personally I do not like the Concert version at all.
Lilias White screams and is horrible as Effie.and Audra voice sounds way to accomplished to be a "motown" type of singer'
I found it all kind of distacting..and the only one who can beat Jennifer #1 was Jennifer #2 all others seem to think screaming (patti labelle syle) is an art

twinbelters Profile Photo
twinbelters
#22Dreamgirls, which recording?
Posted: 8/2/10 at 3:02pm

What's added to the special edition reissue of the OBC?

With Irma you gotta do something!

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#23Dreamgirls, which recording?
Posted: 8/2/10 at 3:09pm

"Driving Down The Strip"

"It's All Over"

"Dreamgirls" (Finale)

The second disc is made up of instrumental/karaoke versions of the most popular songs so you can get your inner black girl "on" and a totally pointless remix of "And I Am Telling You..."

AudreyTwoTwo Profile Photo
AudreyTwoTwo
#24Dreamgirls, which recording?
Posted: 8/2/10 at 11:52pm

I only have the OBC, HOWEVER I went on youtube and found the Tony performance, and I actually like listening to that version of And I am Telling You more because it actually has the whole song in it. There was a part that is not on the recording. That part is also on the Soundtrack for the movie.

But maybe I should also look into the concert version. Hmmm...

The Best of Times is Now!

Videos