pixeltracker

HAIR is hurting... A LOT!- Page 2

HAIR is hurting... A LOT!

ABoyLikeThat
#25HAIR is hurting... A LOT!
Posted: 5/13/10 at 11:29pm

I really don't see what's wrong with "the Idols". They're good in this show, in my opinion. And in any case, Hair is a full cast effort. Now knowing what has happened with attendance, I think casting complete unknowns would have been a mistake. Most theater-going people have already seen the show and there hasn't been enough steady promotion in the tourist areas compared to other shows.

rentheadca
#26HAIR is hurting... A LOT!
Posted: 5/13/10 at 11:41pm

I've seen the new cast four times, and the past three times I've seen it looking into the mezzanine was depressing. These were all weekend shows, so I expected a little more. When I was in the mezzanine I bought my last row ticket on the way there, got in 5 minutes late, and didn't even sit near my seat. The cast's energy was so high, but going into a more than half empty mezzanine definitely brought them down.
I think the new cast is very very good with the exceptions of Diana's acting [don't even get me started] and some of what Kyle does.
I, unfortunately, got into this show way too late in its run. I'm definitely going to miss it when it's gone.

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#27HAIR is hurting... A LOT!
Posted: 5/13/10 at 11:45pm

It doesn't matter how good they are. The very idea of someone from that dog-and-pony show on Broadway is a turn of to a lot of people. Did they even invite the critics back?

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#28HAIR is hurting... A LOT!
Posted: 5/14/10 at 12:14am

Yeah, critics have been back.

I don't like the American Idol-to-Broadway thing on principle, but when they're well-cast, I'm willing to admit it.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

theatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
#29HAIR is hurting... A LOT!
Posted: 5/14/10 at 12:14am

They invited the critics back last week.

Do most people even know Ace Young and Diana DeGarmo are in the show? I haven't seem them featured in any ads.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#30HAIR is hurting... A LOT!
Posted: 5/14/10 at 12:27am

There's a t.v. spot now that advertises them. It's the old commercial with the original cast singing on the rooftop, but then at the end it says now starring Ace Young and Diana DeGarmo from American Idol.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

ABoyLikeThat
#31HAIR is hurting... A LOT!
Posted: 5/14/10 at 12:35am

They didn't use their names in promotional material for the longest time until just recently. They should've done that from the get go.

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#32HAIR is hurting... A LOT!
Posted: 5/14/10 at 1:02am

That's too bad, I loved the show when I saw it.

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#33HAIR is hurting... A LOT!
Posted: 5/14/10 at 4:32am

I don't think the AI connection does much. For as many folk that would stay away because of them there are folks that would WANT to go because of them.

And honestly, unless you've SEEN them in a B'way-type show before, how does anyone really know if they will be any good? To stay away just because they were AI "rejects" is ridiculous.

There still is a recession going on, and I think the "people" are feeling it more now than ever. Let's face it, it's not like Gavin and the original cast were pulling them in like crazy even before they left. You could still get tickets for their last show the day OF the performance.

It had a great run. It won a Tony. It re-couped. Many of us loved it. Just because it's run it's course isn't that big of a deal. For 'us'. (To them, an entirely different matter.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
Updated On: 5/14/10 at 04:32 AM

singtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
#34HAIR is hurting... A LOT!
Posted: 5/14/10 at 8:45am

To agree with an earlier poster, I think the downward spiral of this shows is due in a large part to the lack of promotion in tourist areas. Besides their large poster, there aren't anyone handing out fliers in Times Square, or at TKTS. They would see a large bump in ticket sales if they just hire some sort of street team.

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert

BroadwayBound115 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound115
#35HAIR is hurting... A LOT!
Posted: 5/14/10 at 8:57am

I always thought the location of the Hirschfeld was a little odd. It just seemed separated from the other theaters.

TreyKenyon Profile Photo
TreyKenyon
#36HAIR is hurting... A LOT!
Posted: 5/14/10 at 9:20am

^
Yes, the Hirschfeld is a little off the beaten path(I believe it's the only Broadway house past 8th Ave). However, I agree with what dramamama is saying. I saw the show last summer and I LOVED it. That said, we can't expect every show to run forever. I personally wish it could have a strong multi-year run, but even if it closes after the summer (which I think it will), it still will be considered a "hit" revival that had a strong year and a half run. I'll be sad when it closes, but is is FAR from some great Broadway tragedy.

Wicked Tour (2/26/08); Wicked Bway (7/1/08); HAIR (7/1/09); Rock of Ages (7/2/09); Wicked Bway (7/3/09); Mary Poppins Tour (8/2/09); Wicked Tour (11/18/09); Wicked Tour (12/5/09)

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#37HAIR is hurting... A LOT!
Posted: 5/14/10 at 9:43am

It's had a decent run. What's the problem if it closes and makes room for a new show? I know there'll be a lot of screaming, but I get tired of seeing the same marquees up for 10 years.

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#38HAIR is hurting... A LOT!
Posted: 5/14/10 at 9:53am

I totally agree that it isn't the new cast where the money isn't coming in. I went in February, and I was able to have an entire row to myself, with a good portion of the mezzanine empty.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

Gothampc
#39HAIR is hurting... A LOT!
Posted: 5/14/10 at 10:11am

A revival of a 40 year old show that was not good in its original incarnation not doing well? I'm shocked.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

defygravity24 Profile Photo
defygravity24
#40HAIR is hurting... A LOT!
Posted: 5/14/10 at 11:08am

When I went to see this, ther theater was pretty full, but that could have been because it was the first week of the new cast. And Ifeel stupid asking this, but what does it mean for a ticket to be "comped"?

FindingNamo
#41HAIR is hurting... A LOT!
Posted: 5/14/10 at 11:17am

Freebie, derived from "complimentary." And remember, there are no stupid questions, only stupid people.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Gothampc
#42HAIR is hurting... A LOT!
Posted: 5/14/10 at 11:20am

"And Ifeel stupid asking this, but what does it mean for a ticket to be "comped"?"

When a theater has seats that they feel they won't be able to sell, they offer them free or for minimal charge. Basically, it's a seat that they can't make a profit off of. Tickets are often comped to get more people in the audience. There are several comp companies in NYC that offer their members cheap seats to shows.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

dontevenstart
#43HAIR is hurting... A LOT!
Posted: 5/14/10 at 2:48pm

And the reality is, they are planning a tour. The tour will sell really well. And they are smart to do 1-2 week engagements. Get in, sell out and leave.

Kev Profile Photo
Kev
#44HAIR is hurting... A LOT!
Posted: 5/14/10 at 3:10pm

I haven't seem them featured in any ads.

Young and Degarmo's names are also featured on the current flyer for the show, with the Idol tag. It is what it is.

I re-visited the new tribe once again and, while the chemistry remains solid, the electricity and overall distinction of the tribe is MIA.

Young appears to be having a fun time as Berger but, his portrayal rings false. DeGarmo's line readings are downright laughable and even her big-voiced "Easy to Be Hard" is one-note in the acting department. Bayardelle's vocals are shrill and vibrato-heavy. Ashford is pulling the same delivery as she has in many of her previous projects.

Riabko, Wooten, and Ray made the most positive impressions.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#45HAIR is hurting... A LOT!
Posted: 5/14/10 at 4:10pm

If American Idiot closes first, Hair won't close yet. Those fans have to go somewhere and will crawl back to Hair making excuses all the way as long as the new cast members accept their friend request on Facebook.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#46HAIR is hurting... A LOT!
Posted: 5/14/10 at 4:21pm

A revival of a 40 year old show that was not good in its original incarnation not doing well? I'm shocked.

Gothampc that statement is just plain ignorant. HAIR may not be your "cup of tea" but the Original Off-Broadway and Broadway productions were very successful and garnered much attention both negative and positive. Do the research. The facts are there. The original Broadway production ran for 4 years and 1759 performances.

This revival is an extremely successful one and even if it closes tomorrow it will remain one.

FindingNamo
#47HAIR is hurting... A LOT!
Posted: 5/14/10 at 6:08pm

This is where Goth comes in and says the first incarnation was the best and the creatives totally lost it when they tried to give it a plot.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#48HAIR is hurting... A LOT!
Posted: 5/14/10 at 7:56pm

Yes running for four years was considered a very long run!

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!