Jenn Damiano Spider-Man

Gabster
#1Jenn Damiano Spider-Man
Posted: 5/18/10 at 10:36pm

Someone on twitter claims that they have an "inside source" who told them Jenn Damiano will play Mary-Jane in Spiderman on B'way. This twitter user is always reliable, but does anybody have more info on this? Thoughts? Any ideas on who the new Natalie will be?

FeelingElectric2 Profile Photo
FeelingElectric2
#2Jenn Damiano Spider-Man
Posted: 5/18/10 at 10:40pm

That someone on twitter is BroadwaySpotted, here's the links:
http://twitter.com/BroadwaySpotted/status/14267003091
http://twitter.com/BroadwaySpotted/status/14267615541

I don't know what to believe anymore regarding this show. I still don't think it'll come to Broadway...

rmusic11322
#2Jenn Damiano Spider-Man
Posted: 5/18/10 at 10:48pm

If that's true, Meghann Fahy better be the new Natalie.

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#3Jenn Damiano Spider-Man
Posted: 5/18/10 at 11:05pm

Evan Rachel Wood to Jennifer Damiano? DOWNGRADE.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#4Jenn Damiano Spider-Man
Posted: 5/18/10 at 11:10pm

Any ideas on who the new Natalie will be?

Jen is leaving at the end of the summer. I have no idea if it's to do Spiderman, but Meghann is taking over.

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#5Jenn Damiano Spider-Man
Posted: 5/18/10 at 11:10pm

Or upgrade in disguise?

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#6Jenn Damiano Spider-Man
Posted: 5/18/10 at 11:12pm

Not really. Damiano is a much better actress and singer. She might not have the name recognition Wood does, but I'd say she's more suited to this than her.
Updated On: 5/18/10 at 11:12 PM

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#7Jenn Damiano Spider-Man
Posted: 5/18/10 at 11:12pm

I'm with TheatreFan.

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#8Jenn Damiano Spider-Man
Posted: 5/18/10 at 11:17pm

Damiano gives a well-rounded, stunningly-sung and carefully developed performance in NEXT TO NORMAL. I went in expecting to dislike her since I tend to dislike whiney/angsty teenage characters and the actors who play them, but Damiano made Natalie so much more than that, and you could never catch her "acting." I'd love to see her as Mary Jane.
And anyone who saw Evan Rachel Wood in TRUE BLOOD can't say that Damiano is a real downgrade. I think Wood is hit-or-miss, but seeing her try so hard to "act" on TRUE BLOOD was kinda annoying, it didn't work at all.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

ABoyLikeThat
#9Jenn Damiano Spider-Man
Posted: 5/18/10 at 11:23pm

I feel like I'm in a silent minority but I didn't find Jenn impressive in N2N. However, I'm not planning on seeing this show anyway so good for her, if this is even true.

rebelroyalty07@aol.com Profile Photo
rebelroyalty07@aol.com
#10Jenn Damiano Spider-Man
Posted: 5/19/10 at 12:00am

I've heard numerous reviews from people who say she seems to be getting bored with n2n. I think her moving on will be a win win for everyone if that is the case. Having one of the characters seeming bored on stage would be very detrimental to the emotional story of n2n. I think she is otherwise extremely talented so I hope she does well in Spiderman. However, Taymor just said today that the show will need to be a hit to recoup production costs (duh). I would bet a lot of money on the fact that it will turn out to be a disastrous flop, but thats just my opinion :)

"In any color, shape, or fashion, there is no denying passion" <3 http://candiceelyse.blogspot.com/

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#11Jenn Damiano Spider-Man
Posted: 5/19/10 at 12:03am

Definite downgrade.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#12Jenn Damiano Spider-Man
Posted: 5/19/10 at 12:30am

How do you know if this is an upgrade or downgrade if you haven't seen either in the role yet?

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Blockhead24 Profile Photo
Blockhead24
#13Jenn Damiano Spider-Man
Posted: 5/19/10 at 12:55am

^Thank you! It's a good question.

actionjaxson91 Profile Photo
actionjaxson91
#14Jenn Damiano Spider-Man
Posted: 5/19/10 at 12:56am

Ugh...Jenn NEVER smiles....that bothers me.

jessica0414 Profile Photo
jessica0414
#15Jenn Damiano Spider-Man
Posted: 5/19/10 at 1:22am

I really do not like Evan Rachel Wood, I don't know why but I just don't, so I would be glad to see pretty much anyone but her in the role.

"You don't just stop posting horse s*** on the web!"-The [Title of Show] Show

lisaatje009 Profile Photo
lisaatje009
#16Jenn Damiano Spider-Man
Posted: 5/19/10 at 4:37am

Jennifer Damiano always gives me the idea that she hates musical theatre...I don't know what it is. Maybe just the way she talks about it.

Gabster
#17Jenn Damiano Spider-Man
Posted: 5/19/10 at 6:23am

Yes, I agree that Jenn has gotten bored with the role. I've seen it multiple times over a span of months and her performance is always exactly the same.

adamgreer - how you know all of this stuff?! I trust you because you've been right in the past, but I'm just curious as to how you know all this info.

Gabster
#17Jenn Damiano Spider-Man

Yes, I agree that Jenn has gotten bored with the role. I've seen it multiple times over a span of months and her performance is always exactly the same.

adamgreer - how you know all of this stuff?! I trust you because you've been right in the past, but I'm just curious as to how you know all this info.

Gabster
#19Jenn Damiano Spider-Man

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#20Jenn Damiano Spider-Man
Posted: 5/19/10 at 6:25am

I can imagine she'd be bored with N2N...but can't say if its affected her performance. She's been playing that part for a few years (since its off b'way time).

Good for her -- if it comes to fruition, but her name isn't going to do much to attract a huge audience. (She has fans, certainly, but i think its limited.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#21Jenn Damiano Spider-Man
Posted: 5/19/10 at 9:11am

Evan Rachel Wood could barely handle an easy Beatles melody, so I can't imagine that she would have been able to handle a rock score by various members of U2. Jenn has the right type of voice for this kind of score. Whether she will be good or not remains to be seen, but she definitely has more potential for excellence than Evan was bound to have.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#22Jenn Damiano Spider-Man
Posted: 5/19/10 at 9:31am

Good for her -- if it comes to fruition, but her name isn't going to do much to attract a huge audience. (She has fans, certainly, but i think its limited.)

I'm sure they're aware (if the rumor is even true, and if this thing even actually opens) that casting Jen Damiano is not going to set the box office on fire.

Tom1071 Profile Photo
Tom1071
#23Jenn Damiano Spider-Man
Posted: 5/19/10 at 9:47am

"Ugh...Jenn NEVER smiles....that bothers me."

I have to agree but this didn't start during N2N. I think Jennifer Damiano is a talented girl but I don't think she's a happy one. When she was in Spring Awakening she always had a sullen, sour look on her face (at least the times that I saw the show when she was in it). She just never seemed happy to be there, or grateful for the opportunity she had been given.

Updated On: 5/19/10 at 09:47 AM

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#24Jenn Damiano Spider-Man
Posted: 5/19/10 at 10:25am

"I have to agree but this didn't start during N2N. I think Jennifer Damiano is a talented girl but I don't think she's a happy one. When she was in Spring Awakening she always had a sullen, sour look on her face (at least the times that I saw the show when she was in it). She just never seemed happy to be there, or grateful for the opportunity she had been given."

I think Jenn loves acting and being on stage. As far as looks on her face during performances, after all, she has mainly starred in shows about broodings teens, so it might have been her acting choices. Way to read into her "lack of gratefulness"-are you kidding me? The girl is a professional.

If anything she has been soured or made "unhappy" by being in two shows that have psychotic, stalking nut job fans. I think she needs to do a production of My Fair Lady or something and detox from all the intense energy from needy and sad fans.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello