pixeltracker

Kiss of the Spider Woman revival?

Kiss of the Spider Woman revival?

actionjaxson91 Profile Photo
actionjaxson91
#1Kiss of the Spider Woman revival?
Posted: 5/19/10 at 4:59pm

What do you think in terms of casting, theatres, director, choreographer, etc.?

actionjaxson91
#2Kiss of the Spider Woman revival?
Posted: 5/19/10 at 5:00pm

Oh and BTW this is completely hypothetical.

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#2Kiss of the Spider Woman revival?
Posted: 5/19/10 at 5:55pm

There were rumours of an all black cast revival a few months back, produced by Garth Drabinsky.

actionjaxson91
#3Kiss of the Spider Woman revival?
Posted: 5/19/10 at 5:59pm

Really now? Hmm...interesting....

HOUFlip04 Profile Photo
HOUFlip04
#4Kiss of the Spider Woman revival?
Posted: 5/19/10 at 8:49pm

How about an all-Hispanic or all-Asian production? Two of the most unused minorities on Broadway now.

This is Harvard, not a stripper bar...

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#5Kiss of the Spider Woman revival?
Posted: 5/19/10 at 9:17pm

my dream for a long time was for Catherine Zeta Jones to play the role. So now that shes been on broadway it might not be out of the question.

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#6Kiss of the Spider Woman revival?
Posted: 5/20/10 at 12:24am

I told CZJ that KISS' score was perfect for her voice, but she wasn't familiar with the songs she said.
I also asked Vanessa Williams if she'd star in a revival of the show, and she said she loves Broadway and if the offer is right she'd do it.
I hope it happens!

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#7Kiss of the Spider Woman revival?
Posted: 5/20/10 at 1:44am

How about an all-Hispanic or all-Asian production? Two of the most unused minorities on Broadway now.

Now? And Hispanics/Latinos are represented heavily in two popular shows right now: West Side Story and In the Heights. So that just leaves the Asians. As always.

I didn't get a chance to see Vanessa in the role (I was too young when the show was around), so of course I'd love to see her in it. However, sadly, if she gets to originate the role in a revival, she probably wouldn't be Tony eligible, would she?

~Steven

Here I Am Profile Photo
Here I Am
#8Kiss of the Spider Woman revival?
Posted: 5/20/10 at 6:06am

Catherine Zeta-Jones PLEASE! :)

Gypsy9 Profile Photo
Gypsy9
#9Kiss of the Spider Woman revival?
Posted: 5/20/10 at 6:57am

It is hard for me to imagine anyone other than Chita Rivera in the title role. She was so wonderful in the part. KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN is dazzling theatre. I would see it again with the right lead.

"Madam Rose...and her daughter...Gypsy!"

Burgos1969 Profile Photo
Burgos1969
#10Kiss of the Spider Woman revival?
Posted: 6/29/10 at 3:18am

I would love to see a Karen Olivo, Ricky Martin, Raul Esparza KISS revival, but realistically, that would probably not be a box office hit. For that, they would probably go for Catherine Zeta Jones, Hugh Jackman, and Ewan Mc Gregor...

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#11Kiss of the Spider Woman revival?
Posted: 6/29/10 at 9:49am

Karen Olivo, Raul Esparza and Ricky Martin? I would pay TOP DOLLAR to see them in those roles. That's some great casting right there.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#12Kiss of the Spider Woman revival?
Posted: 6/29/10 at 9:58am

With new staging, I'd probably enjoy the show more. Love the book and score, but I HATED the original staging. It was too cluttered and messy. So many bars and projections and lasers, it was like Where's Waldo trying to find the actors.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#13Kiss of the Spider Woman revival?
Posted: 6/29/10 at 11:16am

If Vanessa Williams were to hypothetically do a revival, she would most certainly be eligible to be nominated for a Tony.

And both Rivera and Williams were magnificent in different ways.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#14Kiss of the Spider Woman revival?
Posted: 6/29/10 at 11:21am

I didn't see Rivera as I was still living abroad when the show debuted. Once I moved back to NYC Vanessa Williams had stepped into the role and I went to see it. She was magnificent.

Burgos1969 Profile Photo
Burgos1969
#15Kiss of the Spider Woman revival?
Posted: 6/29/10 at 1:30pm

Carlos, when I saw Kiss Of The Spider Woman, I was actually trying to get into Sunset Boulevard, but that particular day, I couldn't find any tickets, so I went into Kiss reluctantly (At the time I thought that a pop star in a big Broadway role wasn't necessarily a great idea) but I was blown away by her awesome-ness. lol

As for Karen Olivo, are there any other big musicals beside West Side Story and In The Heights that require a latino lead? I would also love to see a brand new show with mostly latinos in the major roles.

jimmycurry01
#16Kiss of the Spider Woman revival?
Posted: 6/29/10 at 3:33pm

If Vanessa Williams were to be cast in a revival I would say there is no way that the Tony committee would allow her to be nominated for an award. She already played the role on Broadway, and it would be very much like the costume situation for Ragtime this past season. I am not saying that is fair, it just seem to be the way the committee operates.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#17Kiss of the Spider Woman revival?
Posted: 6/29/10 at 3:40pm

Catherine Zeta-Jones is perfect for this! I'd really love to see her in it. Rob Marshall co-choreographed the original, I'd love to see him direct it on stage. Raul Esparza would be great for this too.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#18Kiss of the Spider Woman revival?
Posted: 6/29/10 at 3:59pm

OFF-TOPIC: CarlosAlberto, are you and Marquise twins -- or did you start a new account?

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia

Enjolras77 Profile Photo
Enjolras77
#19Kiss of the Spider Woman revival?
Posted: 6/29/10 at 6:04pm

I know he was originally set to play Guido in "Nine", but does Javier Bardem sing? If so, he might make a good Valentin. Raul Julia was 45 when he played him on film, so maybe even Antonio Banderas could play him at age 50.

What about Robin De Jesus as Molina?

I could see Raul Esparza as either role.

"You pile up enough tomorrows, and you'll find you are left with nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays. I don't know about you, but I'd like to make today worth remembering." --Harold Hill from The Music Man

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#20Kiss of the Spider Woman revival?
Posted: 6/29/10 at 6:25pm

I've said it here before, but I prefer Raul Esparza as Valentin as opposed to Molina. I'm a huge fan of his and I would love to see his take on both roles, but I don't think he would do well with the role of Molina in the long term, to be tact.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

Enjolras77 Profile Photo
Enjolras77
#21Kiss of the Spider Woman revival?
Posted: 6/29/10 at 6:32pm

I agree that he (Esparza) would probably be a better Valentin than Molina.

"You pile up enough tomorrows, and you'll find you are left with nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays. I don't know about you, but I'd like to make today worth remembering." --Harold Hill from The Music Man

KChenowethfan Profile Photo
KChenowethfan
#22Kiss of the Spider Woman revival?
Posted: 6/29/10 at 6:51pm

Anyone but Natascia Diaz as the Spiderwoman. She was the weak link in the otherwise very, very good production Signature Theatre did a few years ago.

"Why do you care what people might say? Why try to fit into their design?" (Side Show)

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#23Kiss of the Spider Woman revival?
Posted: 6/29/10 at 6:52pm

How is Catherine Zeta-Jones perfect for this? There's NO WAY she can sing the score.

Come on, people.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

actormcfamous
#24Kiss of the Spider Woman revival?
Posted: 6/29/10 at 7:26pm

I've posted this on here before, but I really think this would be the perfect role for Beyonce to make her stage debut (I know she's expressed interest in interviews). She'd sing the crap out of that score, and it doesn't require a whole ton of acting besides looking beautiful and elegant. Would also love to see Sara Ramirez do it.

Raul Esparza would be a great Valentin - as would Hugh Jackman if a box office draw was needed. And I vote for Dennis O'Hare as Molina.

I'd love to see what Andy Blankenbueller or Sergio Trujillo could do with the choreography.

Videos