pixeltracker

Lend Me a Tenor to close August 15

beautywickedlover
#1Lend Me a Tenor to close August 15
Posted: 5/21/10 at 7:39pm

I'm surprised the show will close at this time. I thought it would ren much longer and at least make it to mid fall. What do you all think of this?

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/139763-Broadway-Revival-of-Lend-Me-a-Tenor-to-Close-in-August

bwayfan7000
#2Lend Me a Tenor to close August 15
Posted: 5/21/10 at 7:43pm

Glad I'm seeing it in July before it closes!

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

mallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
#2Lend Me a Tenor to close August 15
Posted: 5/22/10 at 2:26pm

If everyone in the cast was at the level of Tony Shaloub it would never close.

Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#3Lend Me a Tenor to close August 15
Posted: 5/22/10 at 3:46pm

This is one play that I have really wanted to see. Same thing with the other play that was at The Music Box Theatre prior, Superior Donuts. However, I missed that one as well due to procrastination. Hopefully, that is not something that I will do with Lend Me A Tenor.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

luvbrdway
#4Lend Me a Tenor to close August 15
Posted: 5/22/10 at 4:33pm

Saw this show last week and I thought the entire cast was incredible, not just Tony. Really loved it. Think it will go on tour?

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#5Lend Me a Tenor to close August 15
Posted: 5/22/10 at 5:06pm

Wasn't this a limited engagement?

phantom39 Profile Photo
phantom39
#6Lend Me a Tenor to close August 15
Posted: 5/22/10 at 6:07pm

No, but that's what the producers want you to think. ALL ABOUT ME did the same thing, when they decided to close after just two weeks.

"Movies will make you famous; television will make you rich; but theatre will make you good." - Terrence Mann.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#7Lend Me a Tenor to close August 15
Posted: 5/22/10 at 7:51pm

It says a lot when a quality production like this cannot make it.

Poster Emeritus

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#8Lend Me a Tenor to close August 15
Posted: 5/22/10 at 8:13pm

Yeah, what happened here? Starry cast, starry director, a production that matches the quality of the stars, and the undeniable force that is Jan Maxwell, who apparently keeps Tony Awards in her bag.

~Steven

tim10086 Profile Photo
tim10086
#9Lend Me a Tenor to close August 15
Posted: 5/23/10 at 1:22am

Not. Soon. Enough.

I will climb back up that mountain!

#10Lend Me a Tenor to close August 15
Posted: 5/23/10 at 1:31am

If any play is going to tour, it would be Fences.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#11Lend Me a Tenor to close August 15
Posted: 5/23/10 at 3:59am

The reviews were not good for the most part. And as much as I was looking forward to it, I wasn't "wowed" by it either. I liked it well enough, but something didn't quite work. A woman next to me with whom I'd been chatting left at intermission...I don't think she laughed a single time.

Still....a shame. Methinks there will be a sad amount of closings come the end of the summer.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#12Lend Me a Tenor to close August 15
Posted: 5/23/10 at 4:18am

"And as much as I was looking forward to it, I wasn't "wowed" by it either. I liked it well enough, but something didn't quite work. A woman next to me with whom I'd been chatting left at intermission...I don't think she laughed a single time"

I agree, I saw many people in the audience that didn't seem to be enjoying it either the night I saw it.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

gcontini2 Profile Photo
gcontini2
#13Lend Me a Tenor to close August 15
Posted: 5/23/10 at 11:02am

this was ALWAYS intended to be a limited engagement with this cast.
if the show had been an absolute runaway hit, then maybe, just possibly , they could have re-cast...Yet these are the same producers of A View from the Bridge and they decided not to recast that after its phenomenal limited run...
so...no surprises here.
Updated On: 5/24/10 at 11:02 AM

MamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
#14Lend Me a Tenor to close August 15
Posted: 5/24/10 at 4:55am

'Lend Me A Tenor- The Musical' opens in the UK this summer!?!
Why?

The original play only barely got to 10 months when first staged in the West End. Updated On: 5/24/10 at 04:55 AM

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#15Lend Me a Tenor to close August 15
Posted: 5/24/10 at 9:35am

Although this revival couldn't compare to the original for sheer brilliance, I still enjoyed it very much. It's too bad Bartha was just cute and fine, rather than amazing. If they had focused more on finding the star actor for Max (rather than Saunders and Tito), they would have had a stronger show.

But it was worlds better than that awful Noises Off revival...

Mimi2 Profile Photo
Mimi2
#16Lend Me a Tenor to close August 15
Posted: 5/24/10 at 9:47am

I enjoyed this play very much. Tony Shalhoub was the best. I also liked Anthony LaPaglia. I really didn't think that Brooke Adams was all that good and she flubbed on her lines twice, which was excruciating for me.

mallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
#17Lend Me a Tenor to close August 15
Posted: 5/24/10 at 9:53am

newintown, to underscore your point, in the original production Max was played by Victor Garber. Enough said.

Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#18Lend Me a Tenor to close August 15
Posted: 5/24/10 at 10:17am

Exactly, mallardo - he was stunning (and robbed of the Tony that year, in my opinion).

bchalcyon
#19Lend Me a Tenor to close August 15
Posted: 5/24/10 at 3:10pm

Thank you!! NOT. SOON. ENOUGH!!! (One wonders if any of these other folks actually saw it!)

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#20Lend Me a Tenor to close August 15
Posted: 5/24/10 at 3:19pm

I saw it and thoroughly enjoyed myself.

~Steven

bchalcyon
#21Lend Me a Tenor to close August 15
Posted: 5/24/10 at 5:26pm

There are people in the cast LIGHT YEARS better than Tony Shaloub (on stage) and it's closing. Do the math...

onesongglory2 Profile Photo
onesongglory2
#22Lend Me a Tenor to close August 15
Posted: 5/24/10 at 10:40pm

Is this show selling programs?

WayTooBroadway Profile Photo
WayTooBroadway
#23Lend Me a Tenor to close August 15
Posted: 5/24/10 at 10:43pm

Yup; I think they're going for $10.

"When the audience comes in, it changes the temperature of what you've written." -Stephen Sondheim

onesongglory2 Profile Photo
onesongglory2
#24Lend Me a Tenor to close August 15
Posted: 5/24/10 at 10:46pm

Thanks!