pixeltracker

When It Ends: Remembering Eartha Kitt

esparza 333
#1When It Ends: Remembering Eartha Kitt
Posted: 7/7/10 at 1:27pm

While this might be seen as a random thread, I have recently become obsessed for the millionth time with her work in the Wild Party. She is so brilliant in every recording I've seen and I only wish I had seen her on stage. I know many people on this board have found memories of her performing in Nine and of course the Wild Party. Soem of us younger folks have memories her as the sinister Yzma in Emperors New Groove/ School. But with all of her fame from her Santa Baby days to her final years she remained one of the most dynamic and stunning performers. There was so much substance behind the sex appeal and that's what gave her such a celebrated career. I would have given her the Tony for the Wild party just based on the clips and the cast recording. She had a long illustrious stage career from Timbuktu to the Wizard of Oz she always commanded the stage. This is a true testament to her undeniable charisma and her extraordinary talent. When ever I think of her I think of her brilliant delivery of When it Ends especially the ending.

I can tell you that no party lasts forever
I been there and there and there and seen enough
So you better hope to Jesus or Mohammad
Or whatever
That you got the right stuff
When it ends
When it ends
When it ends

Rest in Peace Miss Kitt and in our hearts You Will Live on Forever!!

Current Avatar:The sensational Aaron Tveit in the soon to be hit production of Catch Me If You Can.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#2When It Ends: Remembering Eartha Kitt
Posted: 7/7/10 at 1:32pm

Here's to love, here's to life, here's to you, Miss Kitt.

Eartha Kitt sings 'Here's to life' on the Whooppi Goldberg Show

myshikobit Profile Photo
myshikobit
#2When It Ends: Remembering Eartha Kitt
Posted: 7/7/10 at 3:53pm

I agree wholeheartedly with all of those sentiments. And I'm always addicted to "Wild Party". Always. It's right up there with the best of Sondheim. And I showed "Moving Uptown" to a friend and now everytime I see her I reference "smoldering lips", ala Kitt.

To Eartha!

"There are only two worthwhile things to leave behind when we depart this world of ours: children and art." -Sunday In The Park With George

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#3When It Ends: Remembering Eartha Kitt
Posted: 7/7/10 at 3:56pm

Here's to Eartha! I loved her in ANNA LUCASTA opposite Sammy Davis, Jr. She was a force to be reckoned with for sure.

mallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
#4When It Ends: Remembering Eartha Kitt
Posted: 7/7/10 at 4:12pm

I saw her in the replacement cast of the Nine revival. She was BY FAR the best thing in the show.

Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!

twinbelters Profile Photo
twinbelters
#5When It Ends: Remembering Eartha Kitt
Posted: 7/7/10 at 4:28pm

When she stepped onto the stage in The Wild Party I had never felt such star magnetism in my life. Best birthday ever.

I cherish my double live album of Shinbone Alley that mysteriously appeared at a Tower records one day.

With Irma you gotta do something!

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#6When It Ends: Remembering Eartha Kitt
Posted: 7/7/10 at 9:30pm

She rocked as Catwoman

Ditto for Timbuktu

Poster Emeritus

aliceidinabernadette Profile Photo
aliceidinabernadette
#7When It Ends: Remembering Eartha Kitt
Posted: 7/8/10 at 12:41am

I saw her in The Wizard of Oz and Cinderella when I was younger. (As well as Yzma). I was only around 3 when I saw her in Oz, and it was my first professional show (I saw it when it came to Toronto), I actually got to meet her after that and after Cinderella when it was at the Kennedy Centre, and she remembered me from when I met her after Oz. One of the loveliest actors I've met. Such an amazing talent, and an amazing woman.

Give me a bottle of bourbon and half a chicken and I'll conquer the world!

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#8When It Ends: Remembering Eartha Kitt
Posted: 7/8/10 at 12:49am

I will always adore Eartha Kitt. I'm a gay man and I still think she was one of the sexiest people ever to live. She just oozed with star power. I hope she's being the life of the party wherever she is. May she rest in peace!

Demitri2 Profile Photo
Demitri2
#9When It Ends: Remembering Eartha Kitt
Posted: 7/8/10 at 12:58am

I got to see her in TIMBUKTU, the NINE revival and THE WILD PARTY. Enjoyed her each time but she totally blew me away in THE WILD PARTY. I sat second row center orchestra and couldn't get over how strong her voice was. Coupled with La Chuisa incredible score, it was a marriage made in musical theatre heaven. So few woman can act like a sex kitten in their seventies without seeming grotesque. Eartha Kitt never lost that gift. She was in touch with her sexuality to the very end.

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#10When It Ends: Remembering Eartha Kitt
Posted: 7/8/10 at 12:58am

I will never forgetting seeing her as the Fairy Godmother in Cinderella. So glad I had the opportunity to do so.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

mshetina Profile Photo
mshetina
#11When It Ends: Remembering Eartha Kitt
Posted: 7/8/10 at 1:26am

I had just posted this in another thread when I saw this one:

"I want you to play a young grapefruit."
"Yes maestro... Tell me one thing"
"Yes."
"Am I seedless?" - Mehitabel (Eartha Kitt) in Shinbone Alley.

My favorite Eartha Kitt moment. I've never heard the bootleg recording of this show, but I can just imagine Kitt's delivery.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#12When It Ends: Remembering Eartha Kitt
Posted: 7/8/10 at 2:39am

I saw her in Cinderella and I actually really loved her as the Fairy Godmother and I really liked the book adaptation and orchestrations. The prologue was actually kind of creepy and her delivery was perfect. I also loved her version of "There's Music in You". It wasn't as pop sounding as Whitney Huston's version, but I think that's why I liked it so much. It was my only chance to see her on stage and I'll never forget it.

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#13When It Ends: Remembering Eartha Kitt
Posted: 7/8/10 at 3:39am

I think of Miss Eartha Kitt at least twice a day, my old cockny sparrows.

Buddy's blues Profile Photo
Buddy's blues
#14When It Ends: Remembering Eartha Kitt
Posted: 7/8/10 at 7:37am

Saw her in the west end version of Follies - when she showed us what "moxie" was you really believed that she had it and so much more!

#15When It Ends: Remembering Eartha Kitt
Posted: 7/8/10 at 7:48am

Her stage presence was astounding- Amazing to see such a powerhouse cast overshadowed by her in Wild Party.

JBSinger
#16When It Ends: Remembering Eartha Kitt
Posted: 7/8/10 at 9:04am

Agreed. I sat in the orchestra for Wild Party (with Betty Comden behind me no less) and she was stunning. The scenes that were being played in front couldn't pull my focus from Kitt hovering around the party like a ghost. She just had that magnetism. A great score and a memorable evening for me.

sondheimboy2 Profile Photo
sondheimboy2
#17When It Ends: Remembering Eartha Kitt
Posted: 7/8/10 at 4:52pm

I only got to see her live once, in the tour of "Cinderella."

I cherish the memory of when she asks Cinderella: "What were you expecting? A magic wand and a tutu? Been there, done that!"

And waiting at the stage door, there were three distinct groups:

Little kids waiting to meet Cinderella,
Goomba wanna-be guys wanting to meet the girl who played the daughter on Sopranos,
and Gay Men waiting to meet Eartha Kitt!

"A coherent existance after so many years of muddle" - Desiree' Armfelt, A Little Night Music "Life keeps happening everyday, Say Yes" - 70, Girls, 70 "Life is what you do while you're waiting to die" - Zorba

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#18When It Ends: Remembering Eartha Kitt
Posted: 7/8/10 at 4:56pm

She was one-of-a-kind, irreplaceable. "When It Ends" isn't even the best song in THE WILD PARTY score, but damn she hit that baby out of the park.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali