pixeltracker

Help - looking for a non-traditional show for a high school production -

Help - looking for a non-traditional show for a high school production -

bwaybri2
#1Help - looking for a non-traditional show for a high school production -
Posted: 8/9/10 at 10:02pm

Hello -

Here are our last 5 shows we have produced at our 'above average' arts high school -

Violet, Working, Bat Boy, Side Show, Blood Brothers - 2 of which went to the Fringe in Scotland -

But I have hit a wall in picking our next show - as you can tell we stay away for traditional fare -

I would appreciate any suggestions - shows that deal with social issues seem to be our thing -

Thank you for your help - I value most of your opinions Help - looking for a non-traditional show for a high school production -
Updated On: 8/9/10 at 10:02 PM

BwayTday Profile Photo
BwayTday
#2Help - looking for a non-traditional show for a high school production -
Posted: 8/9/10 at 10:11pm

Parade. Rent. Chicago. Cabaret.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#2Help - looking for a non-traditional show for a high school production -
Posted: 8/9/10 at 10:23pm

I think PARADE can be an incredibly powerful choice - challenging vocally and dramatically, with a large cast and a historical event at its center which tends to rally the entire production team.

bwaybri2
#3Help - looking for a non-traditional show for a high school production -
Posted: 8/9/10 at 10:31pm

could you do parade without african americans ?? -

matty159 Profile Photo
matty159
#4Help - looking for a non-traditional show for a high school production -
Posted: 8/9/10 at 10:31pm

I will concur with Parade. That is the first thing that popped into my head before I even read the following posts...maybe because I just mentioned it in another thread!

E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
#5Help - looking for a non-traditional show for a high school production -
Posted: 8/9/10 at 10:32pm

No you cannot do it without African-Americans

"I think lying to children is really important, it sets them off on the right track" -Sherie Rene Scott-

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#7Help - looking for a non-traditional show for a high school production -
Posted: 8/9/10 at 10:44pm

You need at least two African American males.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#8Help - looking for a non-traditional show for a high school production -
Posted: 8/9/10 at 10:45pm

THE SPITFIRE GRILL (it's a small cast of six 3M, 3F. amazing music. nice story.)

The rights to LITTLE WOMEN are also available: http://www.theatricalrights.com/#/showdetail/?showid=LIWO/

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#10Help - looking for a non-traditional show for a high school production -
Posted: 8/9/10 at 10:51pm

I agree with BwayTday. Rent, Chicago, and Cabaret would be great. I do not know enough about Parade. I would also add Miss Saigon. I know some high schools do this show, but it is by no means a traditional high school show.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

singingbackup Profile Photo
singingbackup
singtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
#12Help - looking for a non-traditional show for a high school production -
Posted: 8/9/10 at 10:56pm

I admire your willingness to look outside the box for your students, but what's wrong with a classic? If all you've done are risky, non-traditional shows, shake it up a little.

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#13Help - looking for a non-traditional show for a high school production -
Posted: 8/9/10 at 11:00pm

Or do a different take on a traditional show.

Or develop an original musical written by your students.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

bwaybri2
#14Help - looking for a non-traditional show for a high school production -
Posted: 8/9/10 at 11:09pm

Perhaps I should have been more accurate - we do non traditional one semester and then traditional - our last five traditional (family friendly) shows have been: Peter Pan, HSMusical (I'm Sorry), Seussical, Music Man, Cinderella -

So I'm looking for shows to compliment those listed above -

Thank you - and Parade has been on the short list for awhile -

ghostlight2
#15Help - looking for a non-traditional show for a high school production -
Posted: 8/9/10 at 11:11pm

"You need at least two African American males."

I'd agree with you, Michael Bennett, but the Donmar Parade and the recent Taper versions only had one, and one female.

singtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
#16Help - looking for a non-traditional show for a high school production -
Posted: 8/9/10 at 11:57pm

As someone who went to a high school where a musical was only done every two years, I'm jealous.

Some ideas:

Lucky Stiff (a very unique challenge)
Zombie Prom
Urinetown

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert

RICRoyal2010 Profile Photo
RICRoyal2010
#17Help - looking for a non-traditional show for a high school production -
Posted: 8/10/10 at 12:02am

A Man Of No Importance.

"I'm that one in a million chance when the director says 'you', the small town boy who makes it big, the one that little children and grown men and women will adore, I'm that shot in the dark everyone talks about, you may not know my name yet, but you will, everyone will, someday."- Me

wonderwaiter Profile Photo
wonderwaiter
#18Help - looking for a non-traditional show for a high school production -
Posted: 8/10/10 at 12:18am

I second The Spitfire Grill.

And no one grew into anything new, we just became the worst of what we were."

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#19Help - looking for a non-traditional show for a high school production -
Posted: 8/10/10 at 12:19am

Celebration
Assassins
Once on This Island

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

byebyebaby12 Profile Photo
byebyebaby12
#20Help - looking for a non-traditional show for a high school production -
Posted: 8/10/10 at 12:29am

My sister's high school did Parade in the spring and everyone loved it.

There is always Ragtime if you have ebough black students. South Pacific is also not done a lot by high schools and is one of the first shows with social issues.

wizard2joe
#21Help - looking for a non-traditional show for a high school production -
Posted: 8/10/10 at 12:57am

Cats!! I know a high school that actually pulled it off.

xxdrewboy85xx Profile Photo
xxdrewboy85xx
#22Help - looking for a non-traditional show for a high school production -
Posted: 8/10/10 at 1:44am

I agree The Spitfire Grill, Parade, and A Man of No Importance are all GREAT choices. When I read the original post I immediately thought of those 3.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#23Help - looking for a non-traditional show for a high school production -
Posted: 8/10/10 at 9:17am

I was going to make the same comment about variety, but you already have that covered! I only produce one musical a year, but then two other mainstage shows. I try to find a balance between my shows so that the students have an interesting array from their 4 years.

Sweeney Todd
Blood Brothers
Cabaret
Urinetown (it's actually very traditional, but always raises eyebrows)

Have a great school year!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

WayTooBroadway Profile Photo
WayTooBroadway
#24Help - looking for a non-traditional show for a high school production -
Posted: 8/10/10 at 9:22am

DROOOOOOOD.

"When the audience comes in, it changes the temperature of what you've written." -Stephen Sondheim

iflip4musicals Profile Photo
iflip4musicals
#25Help - looking for a non-traditional show for a high school production -
Posted: 8/10/10 at 9:36am

My high school did Tommy awhile back. That was certainly not traditional for a high school! Everyone loved it.

"I've never encountered such religiously, you know, loyal fans as Broadway musical theater fans. It's amazing." --Allison Janney

Videos