pixeltracker

What are the chances of them canceling shows tomorrow (Sunday)?

sundaymorning6am
#1What are the chances of them canceling shows tomorrow (Sunday)?
Posted: 12/25/10 at 9:53pm

I have some friends coming in from out of town tomorrow to see West Side Story and they asked if there was a chance the show would be canceled. I hadn't found anything on Playbill or BWW, but let me know if I missed it or if you've heard anything! Thanks!

musicalperson17
#2What are the chances of them canceling shows tomorrow (Sunday)?
Posted: 12/25/10 at 10:06pm

I think you should be fine. The only the show that's cancelled recently is Spiderman for obvious reasons. A show like WSS, long into it's run, on the verge of closing would not cancel a performance. Especially during the holidays. That is a huge business time for Broadway.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#2What are the chances of them canceling shows tomorrow (Sunday)?
Posted: 12/25/10 at 10:07pm

If they have a scheduled show it shouldn't be canceled. A lot of shows did not have shows on Christmas Eve, but I think pretty much every show has one, if not two, scheduled performances tomorrow.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

suttonfoster Profile Photo
suttonfoster
#3What are the chances of them canceling shows tomorrow (Sunday)?
Posted: 12/25/10 at 10:10pm

bwayphreak is probably talking about the huge snow storm coming tomorrow. if it's really bad i don't see how the actors and audiences can get to the theatres

stevenycguy
#4What are the chances of them canceling shows tomorrow (Sunday)?
Posted: 12/25/10 at 10:11pm

I would say virtually 0%. Last year I remember a big blizzard arriving on a Wednesday afernoon. While Brooklyn got about 18 inches of snow, all the snow was being plowed right away on 42nd Street and both shows (2pm and 8pm Wednesday) went on as if nothing was happening. As in the past, they may make an accommodation to those who cannot make it in (such as those who live in NJ or Long Island) to exchange their tickets for another performance, if blizzard conditions arrive mid-day.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#5What are the chances of them canceling shows tomorrow (Sunday)?
Posted: 12/25/10 at 10:12pm

bwayphreak is probably talking about the huge snow storm coming tomorrow. if it's really bad i don't see how the actors and audiences can get to the theatres

The audience might not make it, but the actors all should. The city might freak out, but it doesn't completely stop functioning in the snow. Besides, isn't it supposed to start in the afternoon anyway? Most Sunday matinees will be underway by that point.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

musicalperson17
#6What are the chances of them canceling shows tomorrow (Sunday)?
Posted: 12/25/10 at 10:36pm

Also keep in mind that canceling a performance is a huge financial strain on the production itself. They will pull out all the stops not to cancel a performance.

givesmevoice
#7What are the chances of them canceling shows tomorrow (Sunday)?
Posted: 12/25/10 at 10:39pm

Some of us in Jersey can still make it to the city in a snowstorm.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#8What are the chances of them canceling shows tomorrow (Sunday)?
Posted: 12/25/10 at 11:04pm

Isn't the general rule of thumb is that performances will be on, unless the city gets shut down?

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#9What are the chances of them canceling shows tomorrow (Sunday)?
Posted: 12/25/10 at 11:36pm

^Right. During huge snow storms in the city last year most school were cancelled but all shows were on! (Snow days on Broadway = the best)

Dramatic Coloratura
#10What are the chances of them canceling shows tomorrow (Sunday)?
Posted: 12/26/10 at 12:21am

I think there's a pretty good chance of all shows being cancelled tomorrow... Take a look at what showed up on my iPhone...

thetinymagic2 Profile Photo
thetinymagic2
#11What are the chances of them canceling shows tomorrow (Sunday)?
Posted: 12/26/10 at 12:23am

If there's a biggy storm tomorrow, there's bound to be numerous cancellation tix. Go for those last minute rush tix, people!

givesmevoice
#12What are the chances of them canceling shows tomorrow (Sunday)?
Posted: 12/26/10 at 12:32am

Must this come up every time there's a threat of a storm? Yes, it's going to snow tomorrow. Yes, there's going to be quite a lot of it. Yes, it might be difficult to get into the city. No, it doesn't mean shows will be canceled. Like thetinymagic2 said, there WILL be tons of cancellation tickets and it's a great chance to get awesome last minute tickets and see a show. Who knows, you might be one of only a handful of patrons at that performance.

thetinymagic2 Profile Photo
thetinymagic2
#13What are the chances of them canceling shows tomorrow (Sunday)?
Posted: 12/26/10 at 1:26am

Thank you, givesmevoice! Decades ago, about 75 people showed up (including me) for B'way show (forgot which one!?), during an extreme storm. The only thing I remember, is that the cast performed as if it was a full house, (the ushers moved us all front and center) and, after the curtain call, the cast personally shook hands with everyone, and congratulated us for getting there...
And then we all had a good old party in the (front of) HOUSE!

BTW, 99% of the time, the "forecast" is exaggerated.....just sayin'

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#14What are the chances of them canceling shows tomorrow (Sunday)?
Posted: 12/26/10 at 1:50am

...and if you go to a show, be sure to buy lots of concessions. And tip your bartender.

Not that I've got a reason to say that. Or anything.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#15What are the chances of them canceling shows tomorrow (Sunday)?
Posted: 12/26/10 at 3:45am

The show must go on or so they say.

Tomorrow should be OK . It comes at a good time as Monday is normally a dark day anyway & it would probably be at its worst than.

Poster Emeritus

tking001
#16What are the chances of them canceling shows tomorrow (Sunday)?
Posted: 12/26/10 at 10:37am

Monday is normally a dark day but it is holiday time and some shows are doing one and some even 2 shows on Monday.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#17What are the chances of them canceling shows tomorrow (Sunday)?
Posted: 12/26/10 at 11:28am

I love going to the theater in a snowstorm.

My favorite memory was getting a canceled ticket to see Julie Andrews in Putting It Together in a blizzard.

Also: going to see Barbara Cook at the Cafe Carlyle during another huge snowstorm--my two friends and I were seated at a table directly in front of her, and there were only a few other people there. It was cabaret heaven.

Wishing Only Wounds Profile Photo
Wishing Only Wounds
#18What are the chances of them canceling shows tomorrow (Sunday)?
Posted: 12/26/10 at 11:30am

Who would I call in the event that I can't get into the city tonight (due to the LIRR being down)?

I'm seeing Wicked tonight and the Gershwin along with multiple Ticketmaster numbers are not answering.

Formerly: WishingOnlyWounds2 - Broadway Legend - Joined: 9/25/08

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#19What are the chances of them canceling shows tomorrow (Sunday)?
Posted: 12/26/10 at 12:28pm

I remember my time during a snow storm during an afternoon performance of Wicked. The lotto was decent sized. However, when I got into the house it was totally empty. They moved everyone in the rear half of the orchestra to the front and only the first two rows if that in the mezz were full.

Also, I think they only cancel shows if the city declares a state of emergency which never happens.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#20What are the chances of them canceling shows tomorrow (Sunday)?
Posted: 12/26/10 at 1:01pm

I almost got my WOMEN ON THE VERGE Christmas gift tickets for today. (This was one of my option dates). Instead I'm seeing it next Sunday, and hopefully the snow will be gone by then.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

justafan2
#21What are the chances of them canceling shows tomorrow (Sunday)?
Posted: 12/26/10 at 1:15pm

Broadwayworld on facebook just posted that all shows are scheduled to go on today.

Scott Briefer
#22What are the chances of them canceling shows tomorrow (Sunday)?
Posted: 12/26/10 at 1:19pm

My two cents... the shows will go on. Grab a cancellation ticket. There will be plenty and the seats will be brilliant.

Wishing Only Wounds Profile Photo
Wishing Only Wounds
#23What are the chances of them canceling shows tomorrow (Sunday)?
Posted: 12/26/10 at 5:03pm

Officially gave up my Orchestra Row C, Seat 6 ticket for the 8:00 performance of Wicked tonight... if you're lucky enough to be in Manhattan, run to the theatres... I'm sure my seat wont be nearly as good as what will be available.

Formerly: WishingOnlyWounds2 - Broadway Legend - Joined: 9/25/08

Videos